Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

TheRat posted:

Divinarius is hot garbage, dont ever spend currency on buying one pretty please.
b...but 10% inc aoe!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

killstealing posted:

this very thread told me to get a divinarius for my arc templar once

:negative:

Vasudus posted:

Maybe I'll do an iron will juggernaught with EK. Tanky as poo poo without much gear dependency.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1665399
I think turning this into a jugger and using the new ridiculous chestpiece has some really solid potential

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
I'm just going to accept that I am addicted to clear speed. So I will be repeating LA + IW, if they don't nerf that too hard (in which case TS should still be around) and if nothing new shows up before the launch that is interesting enough that I have to try it. This time I'll just go full on glasscannon and pay my way through endgame labyrinth if I have to.

Unless the final numbers on Slivertongue are high enough that it warrants planning for, I've already spent quite some time trying and failing to come up with a setup that I like.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

theshim posted:

b...but 10% inc aoe!!!!

Just to be clear, I'm being hyperbolic when I call it hot garbage. It's an entirely fine starter-item if you can get it for 5-10c or so, but the price people ask for it is completely out of touch with how strong it is, when you consider the fact that rare daggers , scepters and wands have access to extremely strong mods like flat elemental spell damage, crit multi and cast speed. 10% aoe really isnt that big of a deal.

(This wasnt meant to be lecturing you, more of a follow-up!)

Hamburger Test posted:

Unless the final numbers on Slivertongue are high enough that it warrants planning for, I've already spent quite some time trying and failing to come up with a setup that I like.

ZiggyD said he spoke to the designer and they have buffed Slivertongue to be over 300 pdps. I can tell you right now that a deadeye slivertongue character will be ridiculously powerful with fantastic aoe clearspeed and very decent single target. Give me 10 minutes and Ill see if I can make a half-decent build for it.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Don't pay more than 15c for a divinarius. If one drops for you early in the league, sell it for whatever over inflated price you can get. Or do what I do and accidentally vendor it.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

I replaced it with a platinum kris with 20ish aspd, 90+ spell crit, and spell damage, dont worry

funmanguy posted:

Don't pay more than 15c for a divinarius.

this, absolutely. sell sell sell

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Vasudus posted:

Maybe I'll do an iron will juggernaught with EK. Tanky as poo poo without much gear dependency.

I think Hierophant Iron Will is a great league starter. stack a ton of mana for the 40% Mind over Matter and use a Pledge which are always very cheap now for an early 5L. Plus it works with basically any spell (except detonate dead) and the tree is very generic so if you're undecided what you want to play you can test everything out.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

TheRat posted:

Give me 10 minutes and Ill see if I can make a half-decent build for it.

I'm not happy with this at all, and I'd spend another 5 hours tinkering with it if I were to play this myself, but I think I would do something like this http://poeurl.com/JZc and use tornado shot.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

TheRat posted:

I'm not happy with this at all, and I'd spend another 5 hours tinkering with it if I were to play this myself, but I think I would do something like this http://poeurl.com/JZc and use tornado shot.

Deadeye TShot is basically the only combo I could come up with that made sense. The beautiful part with that is I don't really have to plan anything and can adjust if the bow is within my budget. It only takes like 7 respec points to drop the pierce cluster.

Well, I did have one other idea that might work: Siege Balista since it has such a ridiculous multiplier*. But I don't like totem builds for anything other than levelling.

*and free pierce.

Hamburger Test fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 29, 2016

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Glad I burned a stupid Duelist pre-season, probably just going to do a shadow bladefall trapper from this guide (tree here). Never made a trapper before, should be fun.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Hamburger Test posted:

Deadeye TShot is basically the only combo I could come up with that made sense. The beautiful part with that is I don't really have to plan anything and can adjust if the bow is within my budget. It only takes like 7 respec points to drop the pierce cluster.

The tree as it is works perfectly well with a standard rare bow, so you wouldnt have to respec at all if you were OK with giving up pierce until you farm enough currency for a Slivertongue. I'm fairly confident the dps would still be more than adequate.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

TheRat posted:

The tree as it is works perfectly well with a standard rare bow, so you wouldnt have to respec at all if you were OK with giving up pierce until you farm enough currency for a Slivertongue. I'm fairly confident the dps would still be more than adequate.

Sure, but you get all these respec points anyway and if Slivertongue ends up being multiple exalts AND if there is no nerf to LA + IW, I might as well go that way to farm up the currency first.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
My first build this league is probably going to be a Bladefall Trap character. Life-based, with minimum four Jewel sockets to run Coated Shrapnel (just using a Poison Support until I can afford all four jewels).

Skill Tree at 84ish
Bandits would be Life - Skill - Skill or Life - Skill - Frenzy charge, not sure yet.
With Southbound gloves the build reaches about 200% increased life. It also gets 70% Increased Life Recovery from Flasks, which is nice on a build that can't leech and has low regen.
I tried to pick up a decent amount of incidental strength to enable a Decoy Totem without relying on stats from gear too much.
It gets a decent amount of incidental Evasion% as well, which when combined with the Blind proc from Saboteur should make the build reasonable evasive.

Overall it should be able to do any map mods, with early gear goals being pretty easy to achieve (Deerstalker for an easy pseudo 5link, Southbound for a nice life and cold resist bonus / maybe procs too if they haven't fixed that yet) and middle goals being pretty reasonable (probably 40~50c for the Coated Shrapnels, depending on how long it takes me to get them).

Currently just wish I could get some more life regen or frenzy charges without sacrificing too much, but it's hard to do. The basic skeleton of the tree isn't too flexible due to the location of the trap passives and the necessity of each cluster. The link between Shadow and Ranger could be moved around, but I like its current path due to the accessibility of Jewel Sockets and Life. Nodes to pick up after the above plan would depend on how it plays -- Druidic Rite for flask benefits and mana, more jewel sockets (there are two sockets three points away and one four points away), a frenzy charge (two points, not bad for 4% more damage, provided it stays up consistently).

I feel pretty good about the build plan for a first character of the league, though it probably still needs adjustment.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ive decide im going with a tank iw arc templar. Doesnt seem too hard or expensive. Whats the milestones to shoot for with life and elemental damage?

SKILL TREE

Arc - controlled destruction - echo - lightning pen - ? - ? what goes here?

ButtWolf fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Aug 29, 2016

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
I didn't find frenzy charges all that useful on my trapper. I wouldn't give up a skill point or go out of my way to get them.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

ButtWolf posted:

Ive decide im going with a tank iw arc templar. Doesnt seem too hard or expensive. Whats the milestones to shoot for with life and elemental damage?

SKILL TREE

faster casting/empower/innervate/lifeleech/added lightning, pick your poison

TheRat fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Aug 29, 2016

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
I don't think Poison would work very well there :v:

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My biggest problem now is what the tree should look like at 30 - 60 - 80. Go straight out picking up everything until Celestial punishment, then go up to pick up the auras and Heart of Thunder / Breath of Lightning? Then 60-80 when stuff starts getting hard go towards marauder and load up on armor and life? I'll skip Sovereignty for a while til I want to run 3 auras.

Nyctas lantern from 41-60ish? I think i might try this on sc for 4 days to see how it plays.

ButtWolf fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Aug 29, 2016

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

ButtWolf posted:

SKILL TREE

I have no idea why you're going Inquisitor if you're not going crit.

That said, the pathing is horrible and there's no reason you should ever go Sovereignty if you're not aura stacking and getting 34% reservation reduction on your tree (don't loving run 3 curses on Blasphemy with a high mana skill like Arc). Pathing out of your way to get these clusters of nodes that give less than 5% life/point spent makes absolutely no sense when you're skipping like a dozen life nodes that give 5% per point all around you. The random allres nodes that don't really give anything else you'd care about are bizarre, and also the fact that you're spending like 5 points for that 4% phys damage reduction but won't pick up any of the Endurance charges (4% phys reduction for 2 points) or picking Oak in Merciless. Also skipping Elemental Overload makes no sense.

This is your tree but it gets more life and more damage for less points.

This is what I would personally go for (using RF with Purity of Fire + Rise of the Phoenix). This might be getting too gimmicky and Arc might not actually benefit that much from RF.

J
Jun 10, 2001

They changed the atlas completion bonus.

quote:

TL;DR:
Old Atlas Bonus: 1% cumulative bonus to map drop rate per map completed (up to 123~125%). Overall map drops reduced by 33% to compensate at lower levels.

New Atlas Bonus: 1% chance for a map drop to upgrade by a tier per map completed (up to 123~125%). Higher than 100% means it can go up a second tier. Capped at maximum level that could drop from that monster (same as before). There is no reduction to map drop rates.

Also apparently melee buffs coming soon?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Cool.

Think I'm going to start off on wardad totems to start the league out. Seems pretty good as a starter.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I just bought the gorequake MTX, and that thing single-handedly revitalized my desire to play melee EQ again.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I did have all the endurance nodes picked up. Maybe i linked the first draft tree.

Got my friend back into it who has a flame totem. +3 sceptre is the way to go correct? He has a legacy facebreaker and saffells frame to sell to gear up. Should he keep the frame and use it and sell the facebreakers? Im seeing a big range of prices.

ButtWolf fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Aug 30, 2016

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
Speaking of Aura builds:

I'm torn between going for 26% reduced mana reserved and 54% aura effectiveness or skipping it entirely in favor of gaining ~14 skill points to burn on other stuff. Build is CI/Lowlife Oro Flicker Trickster.

With the aura nodes, level 84 tree: Anger + AA + 2x Blasphemy in a Heretic's Veil reserves exactly 100% mana. If I go lowlife, I can also run Purity of Fire and Discipline off blood magic.

Without aura nodes, level 86: AA + 2x Blasphemy is 95% reserved, and I would need a level 19 blood magic gem to run Anger off of 98% of my life if I swapped to lowlife.

Anger is loving huge for this build and I really want to run it if I can, especially with the aura effectiveness nodes. With 54% effectiveness, a level 20 Anger adds an average of 170 flat fire damage to each hit, modified by any %increased or more multipliers I have, which is kind of absurd for a build that can hit 10 times a second. I'm not exactly stretching to get all of the aura nodes, either, they're all really close by.

Mystery Prize fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Aug 30, 2016

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Essence challenges and rewards.

Portal effect looks cool, back effect looks stupid, footprints are footprints.

I could see myself getting to 30 easy, can probably get 36.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Pale Council prophs are listed for a challenge, so I'm guessing Reach will be available, if stupid expensive.

As usual, I'll probably top out around 25 or so.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

whypick1 posted:

Essence challenges and rewards.

Portal effect looks cool, back effect looks stupid, footprints are footprints.

I could see myself getting to 30 easy, can probably get 36.

I have the opposite opinion :colbert: Back effect is great because it looks like you got some fancy rock fungus growing on you, and that rock fungus vibrates.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

ButtWolf posted:

I did have all the endurance nodes picked up. Maybe i linked the first draft tree.

Got my friend back into it who has a flame totem. +3 sceptre is the way to go correct? He has a legacy facebreaker and saffells frame to sell to gear up. Should he keep the frame and use it and sell the facebreakers? Im seeing a big range of prices.

staff not sceptre but yeah I would not sell any legacy gear if you don't have duplicates

tell him to play the new league and start fresh like everyone else

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
Essence portal :awesome:

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I think I'll play it safe and go EQ juggernaut to begin with in Atlas. Until I died it felt the safest HC has ever felt to me.

Saying that, can anyone recommend a self cast juggernaut discharge build?

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Aug 30, 2016

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I feel like playing a trapper on my first character, what's a good option? Ice Trap or Bladefall Trap?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Phobophilia posted:

I feel like playing a trapper on my first character, what's a good option? Ice Trap or Bladefall Trap?

Ice trap and lightning trap are about equally as good. Bladefall trap is significantly better damage than pretty much anything but Bladefall mine, but I wouldn't be surprised if it gets nerfed.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I will probably get 38 of these challenges without a terrible amount of effort. I hate divination card challenges, and I don't have the strength to do the ole quad titty a hundred times.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I am thinking of picking this game up for some casual monster bashing, not looking to hit end game or anything. Is the OP still accurate? Also, can someone point me to a easily understood build that is strong right off the bat? Bonus points for flashy or cool.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

The Dregs posted:

I am thinking of picking this game up for some casual monster bashing, not looking to hit end game or anything. Is the OP still accurate? Also, can someone point me to a easily understood build that is strong right off the bat? Bonus points for flashy or cool.

The OP is mostly up to date. Doesn't have info on the upcoming league and expansion.
Join the goon guild and make a character in the league coming up on the 2nd. You can ask small questions in-game-- before the new league there'll only be like 3 goons on though, which'll balloon up to like 50 all day for the next two weeks. Joining the new league means you can actually play with goons if you're so inclined, and you'll get second-hand items from goons beyond just "here's the guild trashcan, have fun sorting through its 3 years of riches".

Some good starter builds (I'm not digging out threads for them tho, if any sound appealing I or someone else can dig out a passive tree for you to follow):
Ice-trapper - You throw big ol' cluster bombs. It's powerful throughout the game, easy, and really fun.
Earthquake - Popular tank/bruiser of the game, you wade in to the middle of enemies and smash 'em.
Spectral Throw or Reave - Fast and long-range single-handed weapon skills. A lot more cautious than Earthquake builds.
Any lightning spell + orb - All of these builds allow for you to try similar skills other than the eponymous ones, but with lightning spells and orb of storms there's no way to mess up your build early game (outside of bad passive choices but those take a while to catch up to you). The gameplay style for them is pretty much identical to playing a spellcaster in Diablo 2.

Ignore anything about ascendancies unless/until you reach level 38. If you're casually playing it will take you awhile to get there, and worrying about all the ascendancy poo poo in build guides will just confuse matters for now.

Count Uvula fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Aug 30, 2016

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The Dregs posted:

Nearly anything works well til red maps and endgame bosses now. Just stay away from elemental hit.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Lungboy posted:

I think I'll play it safe and go EQ juggernaut to begin with in Atlas. Until I died it felt the safest HC has ever felt to me.

Saying that, can anyone recommend a self cast juggernaut discharge build?

I really really wouldnt play selfcast discharge on HC. The risk of dying to reflect is just too big imo.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Count Uvula posted:

The OP is mostly up to date. Doesn't have info on the upcoming league and expansion.
Join the goon guild and make a character in the league coming up on the 2nd. You can ask small questions in-game-- before the new league there'll only be like 3 goons on though, which'll balloon up to like 50 all day for the next two weeks. Joining the new league means you can actually play with goons if you're so inclined, and you'll get second-hand items from goons beyond just "here's the guild trashcan, have fun sorting through its 3 years of riches".

Some good starter builds (I'm not digging out threads for them tho, if any sound appealing I or someone else can dig out a passive tree for you to follow):
Ice-trapper - You throw big ol' cluster bombs. It's powerful throughout the game, easy, and really fun.
Earthquake - Popular tank/bruiser of the game, you wade in to the middle of enemies and smash 'em.
Spectral Throw or Reave - Fast and long-range single-handed weapon skills. A lot more cautious than Earthquake builds.
Any lightning spell + orb - All of these builds allow for you to try similar skills other than the eponymous ones, but with lightning spells and orb of storms there's no way to mess up your build early game (outside of bad passive choices but those take a while to catch up to you). The gameplay style for them is pretty much identical to playing a spellcaster in Diablo 2.

Ignore anything about ascendancies unless/until you reach level 38. If you're casually playing it will take you awhile to get there, and worrying about all the ascendancy poo poo in build guides will just confuse matters for now.

I would add to that Bow + elemental support gems + any bow attack skill, Rangers can buy all three elemental damage gems, should carry you very far no matter how crappy your bow.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
I did a bit of spreadsheeting, and Champion's "200% increased armor if on low life" almost always gives you more armor than Jugg's "double armor from chest piece" with the new 4k armor chest.

In order for Jugg's bonus to be better, you need a low amount of armor on your other gear (without a flask or grace+IR) and a high amount of increased armor from the tree. 500 armor total on your non-chest items means that you need at least 130% from the tree for juggernaut to beat champion, and 1000 base armor from you non chest items means that you need 160 from the tree.

Of course, this doesn't include flasks (which pushes things way in favour of champion), or a LL champion is vulnerable to chaos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Mind you, I'm still really hoping that one of the corrupted essences gives "chaos damage can't bypass energy shield" to a kind of item.

• Locked thread