Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lol at p. much everything in this gif

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lol at p. much everything in this gif

drat i didn't know Jeb! Bush did action movies back then

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

i had thos beans last night with a baked potato and porkchop

i;m alwyas thinking about thos beans

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

:hellyeah:

BlastPHANT1337
Dec 30, 2012

epipen posted:

as if i'd have a hookup lmao
the main issue with ergotamine (and psilocybin and LSD) is in this use, overuse causes more frequent migraines, but i'm getting daily migraines so, idk, gotta figure out what to do about that
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wkrZpy5sns

I prescribe triptans all the time for migraine patients, never taken them myself but my gf says they work wonders. Persistent daily headaches are a bitch to treat though cause you're right about some meds increasing severity/frequency. Your friendly local neurologist can get you on one of a number of preventive daily meds that can help.

OK back to lurking hope you enjoyed this post god bless

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

BlastPHANT1337 posted:

I prescribe triptans all the time for migraine patients, never taken them myself but my gf says they work wonders. Persistent daily headaches are a bitch to treat though cause you're right about some meds increasing severity/frequency. Your friendly local neurologist can get you on one of a number of preventive daily meds that can help.

can you prescribe my vicodin for my fibro, over the internet?

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

BlastPHANT1337 posted:

triptans made my migraine like, a thousand times worse the first time i took them, noped the gently caress out
was on amitryptyline for a while but didnt help a lot (it's supposed to be a preventative, a neuro put me on it)
the main issue rn is finding a doc that treats migraines seriously rather than just ignoring them or w/e

BlastPHANT1337
Dec 30, 2012

Beast of Bourbon posted:

can you prescribe my vicodin for my fibro, over the internet?

Lol

So I'm normally a psychiatry but I'm doing my internal medicine months. One of my coworkers had someone on their team receiving high (wow) doses of morphine q4 hours with extra breakthrough doses for... fibromyalgia.

Definitely not orthodox

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

epipen posted:

i get like, really severe migraines, and most meds for them just make them worse
i've been meaning to try ergotamine if i ever get a doc that'll try it, but the only place you can get it is compounding pharmacies, which a) are loving rare b) cost a mint
so, rip me i guess

nice

we have ergotamine/caffeine tablets on the shelf here.. it's not that common but dispense maybe every coupla weeks

not restricted or anything . shame I can't give you any :[

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

BlastPHANT1337 posted:

Lol

So I'm normally a psychiatry but I'm doing my internal medicine months. One of my coworkers had someone on their team receiving high (wow) doses of morphine q4 hours with extra breakthrough doses for... fibromyalgia.

Definitely not orthodox

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

my doc won't script me anything for my hosed up back :mad:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

BlastPHANT1337
Dec 30, 2012
Compounding pharmacies are the best. I love when pts come in and hand you a sheet saying they have some topical cream for their dermatitis that contains gabapentin, topiramate, ibuprofen and a beta blocker (actual example from yesterday). Whatever derms prescribe these should be ashamed.

I'm going to make my millions with topical compounded colace and I'll also put in some haldol and cipro just for good measure cause why not

Apply to butt twice a day

OK I'm done

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

hosed up if true

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

hardly plausible

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BlastPHANT1337 posted:

Compounding pharmacies are the best. I love when pts come in and hand you a sheet saying they have some topical cream for their dermatitis that contains gabapentin, topiramate, ibuprofen and a beta blocker (actual example from yesterday). Whatever derms prescribe these should be ashamed.

I'm going to make my millions with topical compounded colace and I'll also put in some haldol and cipro just for good measure cause why not

OK I'm done

lmao if you're not putting make ranitidine ointment

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
Literally met a guy like this today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzMUrB-Um1Y

bicycle
Oct 23, 2013
RIP Gene Wilder tbh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNTw3x40I0o

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Agile Vector posted:

looking forward to GAME OF THRONES: BLOOD DRAGON
drat thatd be cool.

also, you can dance if you wanna
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjPau5QYtYs

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

aw gently caress :(

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

BlastPHANT1337 posted:

OK I'm done

for those of us (me) who don't carry around medical dictionaries, what is each of those and why is it laughable to have a topical cream containing them?
i mean i know what ibuprofen is and it seems dumb to put what is usually an ingested painkillers on a sore patch of skin but i'm no doctor here have a picture

bicycle
Oct 23, 2013

Panty Saluter posted:

aw gently caress :(

Wilder owned, I read his autobiography and he came across as a pretty sweet and honest man.

quote:

"When I make my first entrance,” he explained, “I'd like to come out of the door carrying a cane and then walk toward the crowd with a limp. After the crowd sees Willy Wonka is a cripple, they all whisper to themselves and then become deathly quiet. As I walk toward them, my cane sinks into one of the cobblestones I'm walking on and stands straight up, by itself; but I keep on walking, until I realize that I no longer have my cane. I start to fall forward, and just before I hit the ground, I do a beautiful forward somersault and bounce back up, to great applause." Asked why, Wilder said, "Because from that time on, no one will know if I'm lying or telling the truth."

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

BlastPHANT1337 posted:

Lol

Definitely not orthodox

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahaha

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Roosevelt posted:

my doc won't script me anything for my hosed up back :mad:

opioids don't work for chronic pain, that's why

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

Hello Spaceman posted:

for those of us (me) who don't carry around medical dictionaries, what is each of those and why is it laughable to have a topical cream containing them?
i mean i know what ibuprofen is and it seems dumb to put what is usually an ingested painkillers on a sore patch of skin but i'm no doctor here have a picture

none of them bar ibuprofen are any use as a topical ointment
gabapentin is a medication used for epilepsy, neuropathic pain and restless leg syndrome (and off label for bipolar iirc?)
topiramate is for epilepsy
beta blockers block the action of adrenaline on certain receptors, and are used to lower bloodpressure, treat cardiac arrythmia, anxiety and tremors
all three have to pass the blood-brain barrier to have any affect, iirc
echi's example was a medication that decreases the production of stomach acid, helps with acid reflux and ulcers and stuff

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

BlastPHANT1337 posted:

topical cream for their dermatitis that contains gabapentin, topiramate, ibuprofen and a beta blocker (actual example from yesterday).

lol this is incredible

i didn't even know topical gabapentin was a thing. do you need dmso to make that work?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
https://twitter.com/aguywithnolife/status/769438367368945664

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

:gonk:

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Hello Spaceman posted:

gabapentin is a weird GABA drug, think a gentler xanax/ativan/ghb, anti-seizure drug
ibuprofen is advil
beta blockers like propofol are anti-anxiety and anti-seizure drugs
topiramate is kind of weird, not super familiar with it but it's another anticonvulsant (anti-epilepsy drug)

i have no idea why you'd administer any of these in an ointment, nevermind for dermatitis?!

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

:smith:

2016 has taken some good ones

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

epipen posted:

none of them bar ibuprofen are any use as a topical ointment
gabapentin is a medication used for epilepsy, neuropathic pain and restless leg syndrome (and off label for bipolar iirc?)
topiramate is for epilepsy
beta blockers block the action of adrenaline on certain receptors, and are used to lower bloodpressure, treat cardiac arrythmia, anxiety and tremors
all three have to pass the blood-brain barrier to have any affect, iirc
echi's example was a medication that decreases the production of stomach acid, helps with acid reflux and ulcers and stuff

Moist von Lipwig posted:

gabapentin is a weird GABA drug, think a gentler xanax/ativan/ghb, anti-seizure drug
ibuprofen is advil
beta blockers like propofol are anti-anxiety and anti-seizure drugs
topiramate is kind of weird, not super familiar with it but it's another anticonvulsant (anti-epilepsy drug)

i have no idea why you'd administer any of these in an ointment, nevermind for dermatitis?!

ty for the knowledge yosposters namaste

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

epipen posted:

lol everything is used off label for bipolar

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

:gonk:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Moist von Lipwig posted:

it's off-label only until the patent starts nearing its expiration

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Moist von Lipwig posted:

tbf i take trileptal and it is a medication for seizures, but it helps

i have bipolar II disorder. i probably shouldn't admit that here because i know it's going to come back and bite me in the rear end

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

Moist von Lipwig posted:

tru
i mean, with gabapentin there's at least some studies showing efficacy, and usually it's not the only medication prescribed, iirc?
idklol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Linux Pirate posted:

tbf i take trileptal and it is a medication for seizures, but it helps

i have bipolar II disorder. i probably shouldn't admit that here because i know it's going to come back and bite me in the rear end

me too, whatever lets be pals

• Locked thread