Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Germstore posted:

they are very different things. if it was refunds someone from steam would be showing up at Hello Games with a baseball bat demanding 8 or so million dollars back (which would be good and cool).

Steam keeps a portion of the returned money and charges back the publisher for the differential, so it's a win/win for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

VendaGoat posted:

So, with a 90% drop in player population, what do you think will be the percentage of players asking for a refund?

Wait, wait, let me take a guess. Between 90 to 0%.

Does that sound about correct? Somewhere in the realm of possibility?

I- I don't know what this is.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Germstore posted:

I- I don't know what this is.

Congrats! You are the target audience for No Man's Sky!

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Moridin920 posted:

fair enough I suppose but on the other hand if you expect video game trailers to be 100% accurate to the game then lol

There's typical bullshit then there's Colonial Marines bullshit and this blew Colonial Marines out of the water.

I don't get why anyone gives this company a pass for their bullshit lies.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Blazing Ownager posted:

There's typical bullshit then there's Colonial Marines bullshit and this blew Colonial Marines out of the water.

They have the game creator on film saying that players will be able to see each other in game. He's a liar ipso factso.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Applewhite posted:

They have the game creator on film saying that players will be able to see each other in game. He's a liar ipso factso.

Not only that but he mumbled at length in all the hype videos about how their planets were so innovative by being entirely physical, with real day/night cycles, no skyboxes, and real ecosystems. None of that poo poo was true and random animals just putter around in circles wherever and the game uses skyboxes just like everything else out there.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I like how naive a lot of people are about "these things were in the game and were taken out!!!" and can't smell a pre rendered mockup when it's shown to them

You know how the camera pans around in all the presentation footage and it looks like a robot steadicam and nothing like how a human being would move around and look at things, that's because it's all mockup :shrug:

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Blazing Ownager posted:

whats all the fuss with colonial marines about?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

they showed prerendered stuff with textures and shaders way better than the game released with mainly, id say this game promised a lot more and delivered a lot less

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

VendaGoat posted:

So, with a 90% drop in player population, what do you think will be the percentage of players asking for a refund?

Wait, wait, let me take a guess. Between 90 to 0%.

Does that sound about correct? Somewhere in the realm of possibility?

Bro you're just not aware of how this works man I see what you're saying but literally every single game that comes out sees a similar drop after a week or so and it's indicative of nothing other than gamers have short attention spans - ESPECIALLY for indie games like this where there just isn't much to offer after a week of playing it.

D3 had a nearly 70% dropoff in concurrent players as well in about the same time frame and it did just fine financially.

And it's not 90% drop in player population, it's number of people playing at that moment in time. Just accounting for time zones alone you see how that's misleading.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Aug 29, 2016

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Moridin920 posted:

Bro you're just not aware of how this works man I see what you're saying but literally every single game that comes out sees a similar drop after a week or so and it's indicative of nothing other than gamers have short attention spans - ESPECIALLY for indie games like this where there just isn't much to offer after a week of playing it.

D3 had a nearly 70% dropoff as well and it did just fine financially.

And it's not 90% drop in player population, it's number of people playing at that moment in time. Just accounting for time zones alone you see how that's misleading.

ifu love this game so much why dont you MARRY IT!!!! :D

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
procedurally generated cum

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Flesh Forge posted:

they showed prerendered stuff with textures and shaders way better than the game released with mainly, id say this game promised a lot more and delivered a lot less

I was hoping more... it's always used as the barometer of badness.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
luv2game

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Moridin920 posted:

D3 had a nearly 70% dropoff in concurrent players as well in about the same time frame and it did just fine financially.

D3 kind of had the whole, y'know, BLIZZARD ENTERTAINMENT thing going on so this tiny piece of poo poo dev team probably is not going to have the same experience

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Moridin920 posted:

eh that'd require a total rework of the game and at least 1-2 years of delay which probably was not at all in the cards budget wise

tbh just going from what the devs said and paying 0 attention to any hype it seems like exactly the game they said it was going to be lol. they never promised a deep space sim and people who thought it would be that despite all evidence to the contrary are dumbos.

Maybe I'm just too jaded from Fable and Spore.

i was gonna say this but i never looked at any interviews or anything besides the trailer.

theres plenty of videos of people comparing poo poo they said was going to be in the game with reality and they lied about a bunch of stuff. not just straight up lies like 'you can see other players in the game, it has mutiplayer' but also implying that certain things like aliens or structures would have more to them. when pressed about specifics they would dawdle on with 'yeah, that's possible, there's infinite possibilities' when no, it was not possible, in fact it was not ever part of the games design. they deflected basically every question to a mealy confirmation of something

like spore had poo poo cut from the final game but like... . will wright didn't go on stage and show a demo with things and imply they were features that were clearly not ever part of the game's original scope. sure like they cut some of the modes and the game was kind of half baked and led on to be much more complex than it really was - but when will wright said there was a surprise at the center of the galaxy there was actually something loving there

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

nigga crab pollock posted:

but when will wright said there was a surprise at the center of the galaxy there was actually something loving there

but it was a surprise he wasnt wrong

just the bad kind of surprise

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

i was gonna say this but i never looked at any interviews or anything besides the trailer.

theres plenty of videos of people comparing poo poo they said was going to be in the game with reality and they lied about a bunch of stuff. not just straight up lies like 'you can see other players in the game, it has mutiplayer' but also implying that certain things like aliens or structures would have more to them. when pressed about specifics they would dawdle on with 'yeah, that's possible, there's infinite possibilities' when no, it was not possible, in fact it was not ever part of the games design. they deflected basically every question to a mealy confirmation of something

like spore had poo poo cut from the final game but like... . will wright didn't go on stage and show a demo with things and imply they were features that were clearly not ever part of the game's original scope. sure like they cut some of the modes and the game was kind of half baked and led on to be much more complex than it really was - but when will wright said there was a surprise at the center of the galaxy there was actually something loving there

this guy wants to gently caress the video game :roflolmao:

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
spore said there was a surprise at the center and they show a cheeky little cutscene and give you a special item that lets you terraform planets.

no mans sky said that the center of the galaxy was the whole point of the game, that it was going to be a satisfying conclusion, and that players shouldn't spoil the ending for themselves. it just dumps you on another planet without saying anything.

lol

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Nooner posted:

this guy wants to gently caress the video game :roflolmao:

i bought 10 copies of the game to stack together and stick my dick inside. it was worth every penny

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

i didn't know that other stuff so, hosed up if true

but spore def mothafuckin did that lol I remember the alpha footage or whatever and it was 100% a completely different game

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Yeah my thoughts pretty much, Spore actually had a point and meaningful progression and it was cool to go to the center and fight/join the Borg and then get a superpower

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Moridin920 posted:

but spore def mothafuckin did that lol I remember the alpha footage or whatever and it was 100% a completely different game

you also want to gently caress the video game lol

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nooner posted:

i want the Fable I was promised goddamnit

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

NMS is a crowning achievement in causing the entire video game community to extoll the virtues of Spore.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Flesh Forge posted:

I like how naive a lot of people are about "these things were in the game and were taken out!!!" and can't smell a pre rendered mockup when it's shown to them

You know how the camera pans around in all the presentation footage and it looks like a robot steadicam and nothing like how a human being would move around and look at things, that's because it's all mockup :shrug:
Except Hello Games is functionally retarded and kept a bunch of early mockup not real very much not in game totally faked absolutely false presentation footage in trailers they were making as recently as July. You know, July, the month when they went gold and had a version of the game on a disc which was very real, good enough to submit to Sony, final enough to be pressed onto discs, and they knew what was on it and posed for a really cheesy picture that's still pinned on his loving Twitter

Nice cheese melt

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Nooner posted:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Wrong videogame

https://kotaku.com/1785883004

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

CrashCat posted:

Except Hello Games is functionally retarded and kept a bunch of early mockup not real very much not in game totally faked absolutely false presentation footage in trailers they were making as recently as July. You know, July, the month when they went gold and had a version of the game on a disc which was very real, good enough to submit to Sony, final enough to be pressed onto discs, and they knew what was on it and posed for a really cheesy picture that's still pinned on his loving Twitter

Nice cheese melt

No no I don't disagree with any of that, they're dicks and it was deceptive, just ... so many people fell for robot steadicam and it seemed so obvious to me they weren't gonna actually deliver that :shrug:

Hey kids, any time you see that too-smooth camera movement it's a giant red flag. Not that it'd be impossible to fake it with actual pre-recorded player camera movement but sticking a camera on a spline is like, the easiest thing to do . If you can set up a mockup in which a live human being can walk around in and it still looks good that's actually not a mockup any more, that's your game

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Flesh Forge posted:

No no I don't disagree with any of that, they're dicks and it was deceptive, just ... so many people fell for robot steadicam and it seemed so obvious to me they weren't gonna actually deliver that :shrug:

Hey kids, any time you see that too-smooth camera movement it's a giant red flag. Not that it'd be impossible to fake it with actual pre-recorded player camera movement but sticking a camera on a spline is like, the easiest thing to do . If you can set up a mockup in which a live human being can walk around in and it still looks good that's actually not a mockup any more, that's your game

That's not actually true assuming the human is cooperating with the creator to make it look good.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Let them have something, some tiny sliver of hope that what they see is real, don't take everything :smith:

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Hey guys I would pay good money to have the Witcher 1 and 2 remade with 3's combat mechanics...Thanks for reading.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Rabble posted:

Hey guys I would pay good money to have the Witcher 1 and 2 remade with 3's combat mechanics...Thanks for reading.

you can have it in No Man's Sky, for all we know

just pay them $60, maybe it'll happen eventually

:roflolmao:

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Moridin920 posted:

ya true but it was also like straight up 3 years before the game came out and they even bothered tempering expectations w the demo. its not the same thing as a demo months before the game's launch and not really near the same level of deceit

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
where is the games thread i cant find it

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

CrashCat posted:

you can have it in No Man's Sky, for all we know

just pay them $60, maybe it'll happen eventually

:roflolmao:

NMS is a game of infinite realities except for the reality where its a good game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

NMS has so many planets that there is possibly even one where NMS is a good game, just waiting to be found.

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

Smythe posted:

Rumor has it that a Games Mod closed it because people didn't like her favorite game.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

one in eighteen quintillion? I like those odds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Smythe posted:

names have been changed to protect the guilty

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3731269