Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Urban Smurf posted:

Question: Could this Fairchild article be of any significance to The Secret, a treasure hunt about fairy folk?

Answer: Yes, absolutely without a doubt. Please go on and really put in some effort this time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Take this avatar, rotate it 180 degrees, mirror it, mark a point from the tip of the dogs noses and you will see it will line up to this image of the centaurs tail "exactly."
I dunno HoboZero,

Another line of research to consider involves the assumption that the birth of a century is fixed upon the founding of the USA in 1776, thus Century One is 1877-1976 and Century Two is 1977-2076. Something having to do with a "white house", "freedom" and a medal (see image 2's Fort Sumter), palms on ribbon bars, in 1977, the birth of Century #2, First Lady Bird Johnson received the Pesidential Medal of Freedom.

How might Lady Johnson be connected with May 1913 or something relevant to Charleston?

In 1972, First Lady Pat Nixon traveled to Africa with former First Lady Bird Johnson,

I find it interesting that they delivered a speech at the inauguration of William Tolbert (born May 13, 1913). This African travel story about the 36th and 37th First ladies is a little more accessible to a 1981-based audience than a 68 year old magazine article. Furthermore, Tolbert is the grandson of Danial Frank Tolbert of South Carolina who sailed from Charleston to Monrovia on the Azor on April 21st, 1878 (Liberian Exodus).

Acknowledging the Edwin and Edwina reference in Abroad in America, means recognizing this individual: Edward Wilmot Blyden (3 August 1832 – 7 February 1912), the father of pan-Africanism, an educator, writer, diplomat, and politician primarily in Liberia. I think it's clear that some deep African/Charleston research was performed by Preiss.

Looking again at the verse,

Harken to the words:
Freedom at the birth of a century = Lady Bird Johnson, recipient of the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 1977
Or May 1913 = an issue of National Geographic or the birth of William Tolbert in Africa
Edwin and Edwina named after him = Edward Wilmot Blyden
Or on the eighth a scene
Where law defended

The use of the word "or" would indicate some particular connection between the Freedom and May lines, so the focus on Lady Bird Johnson and her trip to Africa to meet Tolbert should lead the searcher to relevant thing or place in Charleston. Perhaps the Blyden line supports the May 1913 line by stimulating some geographic thinking about Liberia.

I'm beginning to think we must hearken to the words of Lady Bird Johnson delivering a speech in Liberia. I'm also beginning to think her name is important to picking up on the relatively obscure news of a murder scene on April 8th of 1873 when lighthouse keeper Andrew Johnson killed his wife. Since I've used the internet to reveal most all of these details, I'm still unsure how people would proceed to make each discovery in 1982. Anything is possible, but it seems only a Charleston resident would have the privilege of hearing the gory tale about a monster in their own backyard. I don't know what source would apply to paying attention to the events of the First Ladies. These days I only hear about Michelle Obama by watching Jimmy Fallon. Maybe Ed Sullivan reported on Pat and the Bird in 1971...(before my time)...but I don't really know what source would best be used in 1982.

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Take this avatar, rotate it 180 degrees, mirror it, mark a point from the tip of the dogs noses and you will see it will line up to this image of the centaurs tail "exactly."
I think we must look at verse 6 for Charleston like this:

Treasure Island's introduction by Robert Louis Stevenson is paraphrased as a means to have us discover an island, but also to recognize the role of a lighthouse. It is well established that Stevenson is related to a family of lighthouse builders (his father and grandfather).

The links to First Lady Johnson's travels in Africa, Tolbert, and Blyden and possibly the parallel addition of National Geographic Magazine tell us there's something important to discover in terms of finding a "Monster in our own backyard".

In 1873, on the 8th of April, the scene of a murder of lighthouse keeper Andrew Johnson's wife, Byron Preiss was moved to connect that location by means of relating the wife of a president of the same name, Lyndon B. Johnson's wife, First Lady "Bird" Johnson.

Lady Bird Johnson was the first woman to sit on the Board of Trustees for the National Geographic Society. I wonder if that's the main reason Preiss dug deep into that magazine for material that would apply to the themes worked into Image 2.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

TheChaosPath posted:

Solve status: still not a noun

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

Cobalt60 posted:

But you just go there, with a shovel. At like 8pm, before it's dark. You dig a small hole, preserving the grass on top. You fill it back if you don't find poo poo. Nobody gives any fucks.

So you are saying folks are Actually Serious about fearing digging? Fuuuckk

I wrote this exact post, but emptyquoted it instead

Premeditated Toast
Apr 24, 2008

Same as it ever was.
I don't think anyone takes this three year old thread seriously anymore, Cobalt60, it's just an excuse to read/enable a bunch of rambling Urban Smurf posts. :shrug:

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Yes, Urban Smurf, I think you could really have something of intrinsic value there. I think the philistines might have trouble parsing it but after the 37th reading thirty-seventh reading thirty-SEVENTH reading THIRTY-SEVENTH reading the point is reached at which a line crosses a line and one can never stop seeing what the queers are doing to the soil

HarlanHell
Nov 16, 2012

Nevermind that shit here comes Mingo!

Premeditated Toast posted:

I don't think anyone takes this three year old thread seriously anymore, Cobalt60, it's just an excuse to read/enable a bunch of rambling Urban Smurf posts. :shrug:

Holy gently caress balls! Three years of my life...gone

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Urban Smurf posted:

I think we must look at verse 6 for Charleston like this:

Treasure Island's introduction by Robert Louis Stevenson is paraphrased as a means to have us discover an island, but also to recognize the role of a lighthouse. It is well established that Stevenson is related to a family of lighthouse builders (his father and grandfather).

The links to First Lady Johnson's travels in Africa, Tolbert, and Blyden and possibly the parallel addition of National Geographic Magazine tell us there's something important to discover in terms of finding a "Monster in our own backyard".

In 1873, on the 8th of April, the scene of a murder of lighthouse keeper Andrew Johnson's wife, Byron Preiss was moved to connect that location by means of relating the wife of a president of the same name, Lyndon B. Johnson's wife, First Lady "Bird" Johnson.

Lady Bird Johnson was the first woman to sit on the Board of Trustees for the National Geographic Society. I wonder if that's the main reason Preiss dug deep into that magazine for material that would apply to the themes worked into Image 2.

Word loving salad.

Viruswithshoes
Mar 26, 2007

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Word loving salad.

Tasty

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

I still have some hope that someone will muster a dig plan in Charleston. A lot more aimless rambling by others has been devoted to explorations in the White Point Gardens, but thats also a place thats much more difficult to gain right of access for digging.

I'm thinking its worth a shot trying to unravel this puzzle anyhow. There has to be a point reached where it makes rational sense and then we can look at a dig plan.

I don't know which makes more sense, or which is more viable coming from a perspective that a person would have the available resources to take a particular approach to the puzzle in 1982.

I still think its possible that Freedom at the birth of a century has to do with Denmark Vesey, a slave in 1799 who won a $1500 lottery and bought his freedom.

Or is it about Lady Bird Johnson getting a Presidential Medal of Freedom?

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
A new century starts at year 1, so 1801. Hope this helps.

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

A new century starts at year 1, so 1801. Hope this helps.

Maybe that does help. Ive seen differing sources on Denmark Vesey. I bought an old book about him that says he bought his freedom in 1800, while wikipedia's source says 1799. Neither being 1801, so that being the case, the words "start of a new century" or "birth of a century" wouldnt strictly apply.

Why does Priess use the word "birth" anyway? It would seem he wnts us to recognize that kind of event where a person or event undergoes a typical naming ceremony. Thts what people do with new babies. Isnt that what happened in 1776 when the founding fathers decided it was no longer the King's country and we would be a "United States of America".

I'm really warming up to the idea of using the dates 1877 or 1977 as new centuries after the adoption of the US Constitution in 1776.

I'm also warming up to the VP succession of Johnson after both Lincoln's and JFK's death. That twin or parallel is perhaps what snagged BP's attention and why he goes through the trouble of using the Edwin and Edwina line and wby he says "white house close at hand", meaning the VP.

How could it not pique ones imagination to hear that a murdering lighthouse keeper had the same name of Lincoln's successor?

Thats why I believe the Twin Lighthouses in Cape Romaine some 30 miles outside Charleston are a consideration for finding a casque.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

Premeditated Toast posted:

I don't agree. I have a deep and genuine hope that a goon digs up a box of trash or whatever. I would sincerely be fulfilled by that victory. Also, I enjoy Urban Smurf's posts, and all the other folks's theory-crafting.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Cobalt60 posted:

I don't agree. I have a deep and genuine hope that a goon digs up a box of trash or whatever. I would sincerely be fulfilled by that victory. Also, I enjoy Urban Smurf's posts, and all the other folks's theory-crafting.

Me too

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Merlot Brougham, how's it going?

solar energy panel
Apr 30, 2007
Why don't we ever talk about the one in Florida? I'm not digging poo poo but I would certainly go and take pictures.

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Lt. Tanaka posted:

Why don't we ever talk about the one in Florida? I'm not digging poo poo but I would certainly go and take pictures.

I don't talk about FL, but those who do act as if they are near certain. Using verse 9 and image 6 they have lots of dig strategies near palms and rocks and green picket fences. The owner of FOY is informed about the hunt and has entertained a lot of ideas and supported some digs, but he's really not cool with people doing things without very good justification and especially without first asking permission. The answer is usually "no". The main reason people don't talk much about it is that they are working quietly to dig without permission.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Iron Prince posted:

Holy poo poo, I've been following this thread off and on for like 10 years or whatever and goddamn.

Look:
I am an unemployed student right now. I live in Houston right now at this very second. I already have a record so I don't give a flat gently caress about permits or anything. It takes a lot to break my wrists. Someone PM me a summary on the Houston one and I'll go dig it up just so this thread can loving progress for once. I got afternoons and fri - sun off class. I can hit this poo poo pretty quick.

e: preferably a real summary and not the crazy ramblings of that one idiot.

ee: im fuckin serious. someone pm me because I'll probably be too busy not checking this thread/being on probation.

dig the dirt bitchmouth

burnstyle
Jan 9, 2015

Sometimes a nut job...
Sometimes a really good person

Urban Smurf posted:

I don't talk about FL, but those who do act as if they are near certain. Using verse 9 and image 6 they have lots of dig strategies near palms and rocks and green picket fences. The owner of FOY is informed about the hunt and has entertained a lot of ideas and supported some digs, but he's really not cool with people doing things without very good justification and especially without first asking permission. The answer is usually "no". The main reason people don't talk much about it is that they are working quietly to dig without permission.

There are a few people who are working on a secret dig, and a few secret digs have happened.... because it isn't hard to jump those tiny fences at night.

However, most people who are local and working on St. Augustine don't think it is in the park.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Urban Smurf posted:

Merlot Brougham, how's it going?

curses, smurfed again

not that I should complain since you're the only one who brings content to this thread

Viruswithshoes
Mar 26, 2007

Another summer, no more digging. Le sad.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
why not move this thread to Goon Meets or something

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Putty posted:

because no goons meet and certainly no digging happens

this is pretty much just a place for Urban Smurf to post weird cryptogeography

Viruswithshoes
Mar 26, 2007

This is his safe space

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

I've offered a dig spot in Boston and in New Orleans, but nobody worthy of wielding a shovel has stepped up to dig.

I have a dig plan in the works for a different location, but it will require some tranquilizers and heavy fog around the time of Thanksgiving.

Urban Smurf fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Aug 29, 2016

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot
Ask dick head Xie to man the shovel.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Tony Homo posted:

Ask dick head Xie to man the shovel.

Was he the one who made up the story in boston? It's been so long I've forgotten other than he didn't get a probate/ban/mod challenge and he really should have.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Waltzing Along posted:

Was he the one who made up the story in boston? It's been so long I've forgotten other than he didn't get a probate/ban/mod challenge and he really should have.
On the other hand they basically disappeared forever, saving everyone the trouble. Less entertaining though

solar energy panel
Apr 30, 2007

burnstyle posted:

There are a few people who are working on a secret dig, and a few secret digs have happened.... because it isn't hard to jump those tiny fences at night.

However, most people who are local and working on St. Augustine don't think it is in the park.

It's not in the Fountain of Youth thing if that's what you mean by park. :ssh:
With that in consideration I;m sure we could get some ideas together on where exactly it might be.

solar energy panel
Apr 30, 2007

Putty posted:

Why? People look for it here and it's one of the cooler threads to happen.

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot

Waltzing Along posted:

That's the dick head. Plus he sucked Gnarlys dick.

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

The White Darryl Strawberry

Salad Prong
Image 6, Verse 9 - St. Augustine

Lt. Tanaka posted:

It's not in the Fountain of Youth thing if that's what you mean by park. :ssh:
With that in consideration I;m sure we could get some ideas together on where exactly it might be.

I have a few ideas.

Merlot Brougham fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Aug 30, 2016

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong
Image 11, Verse 3 - Boston

Tony Homo posted:

That's the dick head. Plus he sucked Gnarlys dick.

The differences between the "facts" we know about Xie vs what has actually happened in this thread are hilarious.

Merlot Brougham fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Aug 30, 2016

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong
Cask 9, Montreal

Paging Guuse to the thread. Was just going back through some of our discussion, and I have to tell you, some new poo poo has come to light

Paging Meat Street to the thread because the original goon wiki was way better than this self-serving drivel:

http://thesecret.pbworks.com/w/page/22148559/FrontPage

As in, some dude railroads all of his poo poo and deletes anything he doesn't agree with, all while pimping his (wrong) theories to strongarm people with supple wrists to do his digging for him. Meaning: I believe all of the "dig spots" being solicited on this wiki are suspect. Actually, his Houston theory Image 8, Verse 1 is okay in a smoke and mirrors kind of way.

Merlot Brougham fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Aug 30, 2016

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Merlot Brougham posted:

Image 11, Verse 3 - Boston

The differences between the "facts" we know about Xie vs what has actually happened in this thread are hilarious.

Wasnt there some mad effort all around the same time when a bunch of people dug holes around benches at the Esplanade? That Renner documentery was happening too. Then nobody wanted to talk about it like there was some kind of government coverup.

Viruswithshoes
Mar 26, 2007

Urban Smurf posted:

Wasnt there some mad effort all around the same time when a bunch of people dug holes around benches at the Esplanade? That Renner documentery was happening too. Then nobody wanted to talk about it like there was some kind of government coverup.

The FBI swooped in and took that sweet casque gold for themselves.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Lt. Tanaka posted:

Why? People look for it here and it's one of the cooler threads to happen.

Plus this was the last thread of GBS 1.0, and it's remained for GBS 1.0: 1.0. :unsmith:

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

Urban Smurf posted:

I have a dig plan in the works for a different location, but it will require some tranquilizers and heavy fog around the time of Thanksgiving.

I will give you both, in that order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hofnar
Dec 27, 2008

by sebmojo
Yearly check in. Anyone actually move any dirt yet