Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Ratzap posted:

Do you have a source for that or is this supposition from observation or what you think describes what is going on. The closest thing on the factorio forums is

https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=19851&p=199532

It seems a decent match of observation to theory but an actual statement by the devs describing what the game actually does would be best.
My source is "hey I think I've seen this before when we did FEA tutorials in fluid dynamics and circuits classes." So that makes it supposition, but its kind of the stock simulation for simple fluid dynamics pared down so it doesn't need to use all the CPU while the game is trying to play itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

What do you all consider worth putting on a main bus besides iron and copper plates? I'm thinking green circuits, but what else? And what about fluids?

Green circuits and steel. Things like copper cable and (imo) iron gears should be produced locally. Since underground pipes have such a long range, I usually have fluids parallel to the bus but well outside the factory.

Even steel is questionable -- you could argue having a small area where all the steel-consuming factories reside. The main reason to bus anything is if it requires a large footprint to produce (e.g. 5 factories for fully efficient green circuits, large forge areas for plates and steel) and is in high demand. But I'm only deriving that criteria from factories I've built, it's not a hard-and-fast rule. (And I expect zedprime to have some interesting insight that completely contradicts what I'm saying :D)

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I always bus my iron wheels. Some thing need lots, and it's much more compressed than iron plates.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Loopoo posted:

what is that mod and what gameplay mechanics does it add?

bobs um greenhouses or something, grows trees man

smoke trees every day 420

factorissimo for the mini pocket factory which I love holy poo poo

*GLORIOUS ORGANIZATION*

I LIKE TO SMOKE WEE posted:

:golfclap: Link me to the mod. I want to make a cocaine factory and then sell it to the biters.
factorissimo and bobs greenhouses

id make a mod pack but im on metered internets

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Factorissimo allows reverse flow of electricity now?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Platystemon posted:

Factorissimo allows reverse flow of electricity now?

Only in designated power plant buildings. The buildings are dark, so solar panels don't work.

Power plants also cost 100 copper plates more than a standard factory.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I think instead of starting over entirely I want to either deconstruct my entire current factory or go rebuild somewhere else. Not sure how to go about this, though. I know construction drones would be a huge help, but I just barely have blue science packs automated, let alone being able to build drones.

Advice? Start over or deconstruct?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Neither. Leave the factory be, start again somewhere else. This world is yours.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Rebuild somewhere else. That way if you do bottleneck on something at your current factory you have your old crazily-inefficient-but-working-damnit one that you can rely on for supply.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Good points! I'll load up on iron, copper, and shotgun shells, and go forth on a journey to a new home

... of course I made the mistake of running RSO so finding a place in reasonable range of resources might be unpleasant. Maybe I should work on train infrastructure at my current spot first, I've literally never touched trains

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

On the plus side, if you do find a spot with all the resources, there will be a ton of them.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Slickdrac posted:

Isn't that what that command is doing? I didn't run into any trees or rocks again until I loaded in new chunks?

It's doing unnecessary iteration over chunks and searching each chunk. This is much simpler and does the job:

code:
/c for _,entity in pairs(game.player.surface.find_entities_filtered{name="stone-rock"}) do entity.destroy() end

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Speaking of trains (and I fully realize this one doesn't matter) do you all prefer smelting on site or carting the ores back to your main factory for smelting?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ciaphas posted:

Speaking of trains (and I fully realize this one doesn't matter) do you all prefer smelting on site or carting the ores back to your main factory for smelting?

I have central smelting back at base and just drag ore around

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Ciaphas posted:

Yeah use what you've got to make stuff to build a new factory in a place of your choosing. Personally I'm a 'ship ore to be smelted' person. Railhead dumps into the smelter blocks which feeds into the factory.

zedprime posted:

My source is "hey I think I've seen this before when we did FEA tutorials in fluid dynamics and circuits classes." So that makes it supposition, but its kind of the stock simulation for simple fluid dynamics pared down so it doesn't need to use all the CPU while the game is trying to play itself.

Which is fine and may be close to what's going on. I posted a suggestion for a Friday facts for the devs to explain the fuild model and talk about the up and coming fluid stuff in 0.15. They've taken time to explain in detail how they implemented belts so with luck they'll do the same for fluids.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

Good points! I'll load up on iron, copper, and shotgun shells, and go forth on a journey to a new home

... of course I made the mistake of running RSO so finding a place in reasonable range of resources might be unpleasant. Maybe I should work on train infrastructure at my current spot first, I've literally never touched trains

Playing RSO without having touched trains??? Are you crazy? RSO is a mod with the core mechanic being rail infrastructure.

90% of the fun with RSO is building awesomely huge railway networks that ship things minutes-away by train all the way to your central base. Feels so good.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

Ore stacks to 50, plates stack to 100. You can fit twice as much product in a cargo wagon if you turn it into plates first. The disadvantage is having to set up furnaces at each site, of course.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
So, it always seems like y'all explore/expand a LOT to build outposts connected by trains, and when I try to do that, I have to fight a million biter nests. Do I need to be polluting less? Do I need to be fighting better (I mostly use the power-poles-and-laser-turrets method)? Should I carve out a long line through the biters and use radars to find good resource patches off to the sides? Do I need to expand faster, so chunks are generated faster than biter nests spawn (is this a thing?)?

I've never done anything with trains because my bases so far have been small enough that it's pretty manageable with belts and exoskeletons.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Loopoo posted:

Playing RSO without having touched trains??? Are you crazy? RSO is a mod with the core mechanic being rail infrastructure.

90% of the fun with RSO is building awesomely huge railway networks that ship things minutes-away by train all the way to your central base. Feels so good.

RSO and no trains means you set it up wrong :colbert:

This mod came out today and I'm going to have to try it. It's super cute in a "damnit, I can't wait till green science for trains" way.

https://mods.factorio.com/mods/goldsword44/JunkTrain

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Loopoo posted:

Yeah, that was why I installed RSO, because I knew without it I'd never get around to trying trains. I just hadn't gotten around to it by the time I realized my current base is a pile of garbage :v:

Said base will probably just become my first mining train station once I've sufficiently moved shop. I'll probably just turn all the factories there into Rail And Stuff manufacturing in the meantime, like just junk the research factories and labs.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Aug 30, 2016

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

DontMockMySmock posted:

So, it always seems like y'all explore/expand a LOT to build outposts connected by trains, and when I try to do that, I have to fight a million biter nests. Do I need to be polluting less? Do I need to be fighting better (I mostly use the power-poles-and-laser-turrets method)? Should I carve out a long line through the biters and use radars to find good resource patches off to the sides? Do I need to expand faster, so chunks are generated faster than biter nests spawn (is this a thing?)?

I've never done anything with trains because my bases so far have been small enough that it's pretty manageable with belts and exoskeletons.
Last I futzed with it, RSO's default biter settings makes nests scarcer. Its not just the resources that people pick it up for.

Otherwise take your pick of killdozer tank, flamethrower, or capsule god to kill all the biter nests you gaze upon. But vanilla is pretty compact in that you probably have enough resources to launch a rocket or two in belting distance. By the time you are training stuff around in vanilla for super factories, you've got enough flamethrower fuel or capsules that even the biter spawns with like 100 large worms are a speed bump.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I've not really had problems with biters in RSO. They're so far away that pollution barely touches them, and then they only attack in small waves.

In vanilla, they were way more annoying to deal with. It went through the stages of: challenging and fun, not so challenging but still fun, downright irritating. The more advanced I became, the less fun it was dealing with biters because it was just irritating setting up defenses. Every outpost would have to have regularly shipped ammo supplies and I'd have to set up loads of turrets and thick walls to deal with biter attacks.

RSO, I still do the same, but it's more forgiving. Meaning I get to gently caress about doing what I want instead of rushing around the entire map dealing with biter hordes that are tearing my poo poo up.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I just play on peaceful because I 100% Cannot Be Assed to care about combat in this game :shrug:

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
uh, new base... and I can't find any fuckin coal :coal:

time to try this nuclear power mod :mrwhite:

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Baloogan posted:

uh, new base... and I can't find any fuckin coal :coal:

time to try this nuclear power mod :mrwhite:

Which one? Nuclear by fatmice doesn't actually comsume fuel and Nucular while ok only produces 10MW per plant and oddly eats iron like crazy (the fuel rods are steel encased and you end up feeding it a lot of iron).

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Nucular, eats iron? drat.

CanOfMDAmp
Nov 15, 2006

Now remember kids, no running, no diving, and no salt on my margaritas.
I'm already almost 50 hours into this map and I've realized that I want RSO again. How stark is the contrast in generation if I were to add it in mid-map?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

UNF factissimo is excellent. SPACE CONSTRAINTS YES!!fuckin all inputs outputs used!!

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

Ratzap posted:

Do you have a source for that or is this supposition from observation or what you think describes what is going on. The closest thing on the factorio forums is

https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=19851&p=199532

It seems a decent match of observation to theory but an actual statement by the devs describing what the game actually does would be best.

code:
  const FluidPrototype* fluidPrototype = this->hasFluid() ? this->fluid.getPrototype() : connection.target->fluid.getPrototype();
  double columnDiff = connection.target->calcFluidColumn() - this->calcFluidColumn();
  double speed = columnDiff * fluidPrototype->pressureToSpeedRatio + connection.flowEnergy - opposite
This snippet is from at least a year ago but explains why they want to rewrite. I don't have more context (flowEnergy, opposite) but it seems pretty clear that Zed's explanation is at least very close.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

CanOfMDAmp posted:

I'm already almost 50 hours into this map and I've realized that I want RSO again. How stark is the contrast in generation if I were to add it in mid-map?

/c remote.call('RSO', 'regenerate') will regenerate the resources map-wide to fix any discrepancies.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

It might just be because it's late but I'm not understanding how to read Factoratio's output. How do I use it to figure out, for example, how many iron gear factories I need to make an assembler 1 factory? An assembler 2 factory? etc.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Your input has to be the item, how many, and per second/minute/hour.

For instance, set it to 90 electronic circuits per minute.
It'll show you need: 1 assembling machine 2, making the circuits, fed by 3 steel furnaces and 3 electric drills on iron, and 1 assembling machine 3 for copper cable fed by 4 furnaces and 5 drills

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
For people that were asking for my save file:

https://r.kyaa.sg/jzntbj.zip

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Got it, thanks. I was trying to figure out how to read it as "what do I need to provide for input to fully utilize one assembler" rather than units per time. Made sense once I set the desired output per unit time to be equal to what a given assembler can do.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

DontMockMySmock posted:

you need to be using the power-armor-and-flamethrower method

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Biters will recolonize back in after you kill them off, unless you set up a lil outpost there. They actually send groups of biters to go form new nests, so if you set up say a sort of laser fence around the border of what you wanna keep biter-free the expansion parties should get pew pew'd.

Also I am a fan of the fuckton of cluster grenades method, personally.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Zetsubou-san posted:

you need to be using the power-armor-and-flamethrower method

I've been avoiding fire because trees reduce pollution. Maybe I should stop caring?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

DontMockMySmock posted:

I've been avoiding fire because trees reduce pollution. Maybe I should stop caring?

Correct, your goal should be to produce the maximum possible amount of pollution while gradually resurfacing the entire planet with concrete.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Suspicious Dish posted:

OK, yeah, I think this was a ratio issue the whole time.

10 oil/s max from a pumpjack checks out. Speed 2 makes that 16 crude/s.

16 crude/s corresponds to 8 refineries, no modules. That checks out rejiggering your set up around.

8 refineries on basic processing corresponds to 1.7 chem plants running plastic bars. Seems to check out as well paring your set up down.

So to expand plastic production you have a few basic options:
Speed module 3s in the pump jack
Find more places for pumpjacks
Run advanced oil processing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Suspicious Dish posted:

Thanks, I figured out the problem. You didn't mention you put speed module 2's in the refineries as well. Upgrade the pump to mk3 speed modules or put productivity modules in the refineries. The ratio is 1 pump at 10/cycle per 5 refineries assuming both are the same speed, so the refineries are starved for oil. I separated the refineries into two groups of 4 and 5 and made the pump output directly into a tank with pumps on either side of it feeding the two groups.

e.
Also, I took a look at your map and you have oil closer than you thought. A LOT of oil. 5 to the northwest and 2 to the southeast.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Aug 30, 2016