Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Well, how could I resist making some Dankest Propaganda?

URL link on the image for the A4, messy as heck, 600 DPI version, for all you Highwang Supporters who want nightmares about the dark. ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

JamieTheD posted:

Well, how could I resist making some Dankest Propaganda?

I have no artistic skills, but I'm reminded of the tagline for the first Alien vs Predator game: "Why be afraid of the dark, when even in the light you can't see them coming?"

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Cythereal posted:

I have no artistic skills, but I'm reminded of the tagline for the first Alien vs Predator game: "Why be afraid of the dark, when even in the light you can't see them coming?"

Oooh, that's a good one! Alas, I was getting a mild case of the twitchies doing the fiddly bits for this (The... er... Fiddly bits that I realised I had to hurriedly scribble over), so it may be a wee while before I try again seriously.

Turns out chiaroscuro is really god-drat hard. o.O

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

KozmoNaut posted:

As always, Linus is 100% correct.

He's not wrong here, although you could still do way worse than XML. It's only really bad when you get into more complex stuff like trying to deal with keys and such. I've had a hell of a time when I tried to make a program that determined what edit actions on an XML element would invalidate it for its schema.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Finally got caught up on all the videos, and I must say for a game that I've heard is so incredibly lethal I'm surprised no one's died yet despite all the close calls.

Well that's to be expected, since this isn't a blind LP.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
So I picked up this game and start adding mods (just new palettes and custom classes). Question, I am getting a mod error for custom classes. A number of the mods talk about running the .bat filw, so I'll run it. Im concerned one mod is overwriting the other mods though. Any advice on this for those that have done it?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

RareAcumen posted:

Well that's to be expected, since this isn't a blind LP.

And it isn't really that lethal in the apprentice-level dungeons we've seen so far, as long as you keep your torch nice and bright and make sure to always have a healer on your team.

It gets really hairy in full darkness and in the higher-difficulty dungeons.

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
What are some decent parties to use the Occulist as main healer in? My vestals are almost level 3, and I don't want to be stuck without any if I overlevel them.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

KozmoNaut posted:

And it isn't really that lethal in the apprentice-level dungeons we've seen so far, as long as you keep your torch nice and bright and make sure to always have a healer on your team.

It gets really hairy in full darkness and in the higher-difficulty dungeons.

No kidding. In Week 60+ of a game I'm playing, after having a small number of deaths, I just had a devastating one-two in medium Level 5 dungeons. First, in a "cleansing" mission, the party ran into a mini-boss I don't believe we've seen yet in the LP (the one you don't need to do anything to encounter). Six crits and over 100 damage later, two L6 characters were dead and I withdrew the survivors. For the whole fight, the one damage dealer was guarded continuously with new guards appearing whenever I disposed of the old ones. The surviving characters at least managed to win the fight and exact revenge but it was early in the mission and they had to quit.

Cue the follow-up mission. To recoup losses, I sent a Vestal, Antiquarian, Highwayman and Hellion into a medium scouting mission (also Level 5). In the first four combats, while running the Defend Me/Riposte combo and with trinkets to improve it, 80% of the enemy attacks went after the Vestal or Hellion. In one of those classic "two crits, one imposing bleeding" situations, the Hellion went from healthy to Death's Door to dead thanks to her beating the Vestal's initiative. Despite the weaknesses of the remaining three-character group, I opted to press on hoping to explore 90% of rooms safely, especially as both the Vestal and Highwayman had triggered Virtues. Three rooms and two successful fights later, there's a single chain of rooms left to explore. And the party again ran into that one mini-boss.

Retreat, exit mission, exit game, back away from computer. (Fortunately, the Antiquarian meant that the group still made a good profit on the run.)

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

KozmoNaut posted:

StoryTime posted some typically crappy XML, I posted a quote about the crappiness of XML, that I had just read recently.

XML is poo poo that I have to deal with every day at work.

I understood that point, I just don't understand why XML is so bad in that particular quote of mine. DD only uses .XML to store what text should be displayed on the screen in certain situations(rather simple overall), for anything more complex it uses .JSON and their .Darkest extension.

Sjonkel posted:

What are some decent parties to use the Occulist as main healer in? My vestals are almost level 3, and I don't want to be stuck without any if I overlevel them.

His burst healing is great if the party has some other healing skills to help in case the RNG starts hating your guts.

He goes well with the Leper, because the Leper has a very powerful self heal. He goes very well with the Arbalest, because her heal also buffs healing received, reducing the RNG potential. She also benefits from marks, which the occultist can provide. Any party with a Bounty Hunter also goes well with an Occultist because of his mark skill.
His Pull+Corpse clear skill also helps Lepers and Crusaders(who also have a heal skill!) since their targeting range is rather small. This lets them do their insane damage on targets that matter, rather than 75% PROT, 1 damage tanks.

The occultist is overall great(and a shitfucker in the Cove) as long as you have backup plans in case of 0+Bleed heals.

Scribbleykins posted:

We'll see more of the Ancestor's failings as the LP progresses. It's... a bit of a show.

Oh, I've beaten the game already. I like how your reward for progressing through the game is simply finding out just how much your Ancestor hosed everything up.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Your Ancestor is a bad man who makes very poor choices.

Nothing good ever starts with "I grew tired of conventional extravagance!"

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

Thanks to this LP, I've begun playing DD again. I seem to be doing a lot better than I did when I played it before, I used to overspend on upgrading everything and often had no money left over for supplies. For a while I also tried just brute-forcing everything with no torches, which just ended up ruining me on de-stress costs.

One thing I only recently discovered is that you can change around skills while you're actually in the dungeon :doh:

Whaaaaaaaat

Oh man I need to start playing again

(Also, is there still recruitment open? I'd like to be a Crusader, Hellion, or Leper if so.)

StrangeAeon fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Aug 28, 2016

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer

StrangeAeon posted:

Whaaaaaaaat

Oh man I need to start playing again

(Also, is there still recruitment open? I'd like to be a Crusader, Hellion, or Leper if so.)

With that name you definitely should. That is not dead... :unsmigghh:

Halser posted:

Oh, I've beaten the game already. I like how your reward for progressing through the game is simply finding out just how much your Ancestor hosed everything up.

Yeah, the Ancestor stuff is definitely among the crowning parts of the storytelling. I can just imagine the Scion sitting at a table in the tavern, interviewing his adventurers and puzzling together the horrific pieces of his Ancestor's past from moldy documents and witness accounts.

Or waking up in the middle of the night, a familiar voice still whispering damnable truths in his ear.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

That guy could read the phone book and have you at the edge of your seat.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

That guy could read the phone book and have you at the edge of your seat.

His wife actually asked him to stop doing his Lovecraft voice because it creeped her out

Can't blame the guy though, I'd never stop talking if I had that voice

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Halser posted:

I understood that point, I just don't understand why XML is so bad in that particular quote of mine. DD only uses .XML to store what text should be displayed on the screen in certain situations(rather simple overall), for anything more complex it uses .JSON and their .Darkest extension.

Sorry about starting the derail, all!

It's just that the code snippet posted was such a perfect example of XML being the Rube Goldberg machine of markup languages, that it made me laugh pretty hard. I'm a giant nerd, and I'm compelled to post about these kinds of things.

Compare this:

XML posted:

<entry id="str_ui_dodge"><![CDATA[Dodge!]]></entry>

To this:

sexps posted:

(str_ui_dodge "Dodge!")

Both describe the exact same thing, but one of these things is not like the other. For the purposes of the game it doesn't matter one bit, but still...

StoryTime fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Aug 28, 2016

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

StoryTime posted:

I won't deny that its mildly interesting at least, mainly from the fact that I'm looking to start modding this game myself.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

StoryTime posted:

'scool, at least in my mind

And to get back on topic I guess I'll just wave my dick around and show my current record on loot in one dungeon.

http://i.imgur.com/m4PER5C.jpg

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I had a funny cash-run. Four fresh faces off the stagecoach. Houndmaster,Abom,Abom,BountyHunter. Actually bought supplies which was possibly foolish, but wanted the quest reward if I could manage it.

Hit a secret room, without having a key left. Was very sad. Then got three Trapahezadrons or whatever from a wandering miniboss. Still going to toss the team probably. Stuck with only one antiquarian, who is lvl3 and no arbalests yet. ;_;

And also realising there's like, two bosses per difficulty level per area? Kind of wish there was a way of deleveling victi--- heroes.

And on the subject of mods, the nexusmods have some reskins that fit the art style suprisingly well. Though I kept expecting to find one to make all the classes female (or male).

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Tylana posted:

And on the subject of mods, the nexusmods have some reskins that fit the art style suprisingly well. Though I kept expecting to find one to make all the classes female (or male).

Huh, I thought that most of the artwork for new classes/edited classes was terrible. Eye of the beholder I guess.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Started watching, and I... haven't really played since before like half the classes were added-- no Arbalest, Man-at-Arms, Houndmaster, etc. They look great.

I'm also feeling my eyes bug out a bit at the treasure you're grabbing. Did they buff the amount of gold that comes to you? It's like twice what I remember.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

StrangeAeon posted:

Started watching, and I... haven't really played since before like half the classes were added-- no Arbalest, Man-at-Arms, Houndmaster, etc. They look great.

I'm also feeling my eyes bug out a bit at the treasure you're grabbing. Did they buff the amount of gold that comes to you? It's like twice what I remember.

secret rooms are basically a free 2500-7500 gold.

They didn't buff gold drops as far as I know, in fact they made everything a bit more expensive in the hamlet(with the exception of lvl 1 hero upgrades).

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Oh man, I got the +20% prot head and some +15% prot boots in the same run. Now I just need to pamper a few meat sacks and make them into consummate brick walls.

The AI has really enjoyed ignoring my marked, guarding, buffed, riposting front liners and just pouring crits on my squishes in the back, though. This new game just hates me so much. At least I have a good cash flow going now on top of this growing pile of RNG bullshit corpses.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Pvt.Scott posted:

Oh man, I got the +20% prot head and some +15% prot boots in the same run. Now I just need to pamper a few meat sacks and make them into consummate brick walls.

The AI has really enjoyed ignoring my marked, guarding, buffed, riposting front liners and just pouring crits on my squishes in the back, though. This new game just hates me so much. At least I have a good cash flow going now on top of this growing pile of RNG bullshit corpses.

Riposte only works as a full build if you have an Antiquarian to double your chance of getting a counter.

Keep targeting flexibility in mind with riposte comps. For example, it may be worth riposting against brigands, because the fusilier does nothing but blanket fire, which guarantees a counter. The bloodletter often uses an AoE whip attack too. Against the skeleton crossbowmen it isn't as great, since they can target ranks 2-3-4.

If you're in the Weald, as insane as that sounds you may want to keep an Antiquarian in rank 1-2, along with whatever class you'd like to riposte with. That's because a good bunch of enemies there can only target ranks 1-2. Fungal Clawers, Blighted Giants and Cultist Brawlers are stuck attacking those ranks, so if your Antiquarian in rank 2 force guards a Highwayman in rank 1, every attack from them will trigger a riposte.

If you have a 2x Antiquarian 2x HWM/MAA setup then you can guarantee that every single attack on your team no matter where will generate a counter, which is hilarious to see.

Also, going to Veteran and Champion dungeons it may be a good idea to keep what enemies can capitalize on marks in mind. You definitely don't want to self mark when you're dealing with Fungal Clawers, because Rend the Marked hurts like a motherfucker. Same for spiders and those weird green worm things.

Also, while having a PROT tank is not a terrible idea, consider having some form of stress relief in mind. When you're facetanking you tend to eat a lot of(low damage) crits, that tickle their HP but screw with their sanity.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Halser posted:

secret rooms are basically a free 2500-7500 gold.

I haven't found a single secret room yet :(

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

KozmoNaut posted:

I haven't found a single secret room yet :(

well, they're a 50% chance on medium dungeons and 100% chance on a long dungeon. Stack up on scouting chance, Houndmasters and Grave Robbers are good for that.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
That was a miss, Highwang, not a dodge. They're not the same thing!

edit: also the video is up on youtube but not in the thread. Oops.

double edit: why did you get your Houndmaster diseased instead of using the medicinal herbs on that carcass, again?

vdate fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Aug 29, 2016

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
New Update- Episode 10: Dogpile

Today's just another episode of trying to get bosses unlocked as we run through the weald. Got some interesting discussion going at least. Cove Infopost should be coming either tomorrow or wednesday, I've just been neck-deep in Witcher 3 lately.

On my logic for anti-dodge moves:

I always have a hard time putting my thoughts into words on the fly so it sounds a bit weird in video, however my thoughts on skills such as Illumination and anything with dodge debuffs are as such: While the skills are good to have in general and have a really useful effect, I find them too unreliable to use on the high-dodge enemies they're meant for. This is because even though it is meant to reduce dodge, its not a guarantee to hit still since it still is a skill check between the hero's accuracy and the enemy's dodge. There's also the second check of the debuff's proc effect vs enemy resistance to go through as well. This is that "Double Check" thing I mentioned in-video, and while this may be confirmation bias I do tend to notce when those skills get dodged when I actively try to use them for their purpose.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
I generally dislike debuffs too, outside of very specific situations.

Instead of debuffing an enemy's dodge chance, it's much better to use a party buff to increase accuracy. The effect is identical, but there's a 0% chance for failure.

One of the reasons why Jesters are almost essential on Champion dungeons.

Fastball LIVE in concert
Jul 10, 2010
5 hours is plenty of sleep, you baby. It's more than I normally get.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Buff first, debuff second if you need to.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Deathface posted:

5 hours is plenty of sleep, you baby. It's more than I normally get.

Good user name / post combo I would guess :v:

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
also it doesn't help that Vestals have notoriously low accuracy too. It's a pretty bad skill overall.

Divine Comfort/Judgement/Dazzling Light/Divine Grace is the best combo

I also use the Sacred Scroll meaning that Dazzling Light is just a light farming tool

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Contrary to what the selection screen might show you, the Vestal only has four moves. Take both heals, the self-heal attack and the stun, everything else is garbage

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

ZeroCount posted:

Contrary to what the selection screen might show you, the Vestal only has four moves. Take both heals, the self-heal attack and the stun, everything else is garbage

not the stun, take the melee attack for when your party gets pulled out of position through eldrich pull/surprise so you don't waste a turn.

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde
While generally I agree with you about debuffs, I find myself using the Occultist's debuffs a lot. Weakening curse is good for neutralizing big dudes while the rest of your party murders the back lines. And in the right party, the vulnerability curse is good because even against a dodgy enemy the mark always hits.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

double nine posted:

not the stun, take the melee attack for when your party gets pulled out of position through eldrich pull/surprise so you don't waste a turn.

Yup! Because the majority of the Vestal's "offensive" moves have a negative buff to damage, you'd be surprised how hard she hits with that mace. I usually roll with the stun, but if I know there is a boss with movement capabilities, or I'm going to a place with lots of enemies that move people, I switch over to the mace instead.

Due to this LP I've tried some different combinations recommended by people and the Arbalest + Occultist combo is very useful for healing! Not only can they bring someone back from the brink in two moves, but they also can team up to shred the enemy backline. I think a Cove team should bring those two almost every time, maybe with a Houndmaster and Leper for the front ranks. The Houndmaster's Blackjack is an almost auto succeed stun on those drat spearfish.

Krumbsthumbs fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Aug 29, 2016

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

double nine posted:

if my party has a lot of shuffle skills, maybe. Some other times it's better to take a step back with the vestal than one forward with, say, a Leper, in the case of a shuffle.

Speaking of which, I just defeated the Champion Necromancer with Dismas and Reynauld shuffling in ranks 2-3 with Duelist's Advance and Holy Lance. He lasted 4 turns, maybe.

Dismas and Reynauld are best bros.

Mort posted:

While generally I agree with you about debuffs, I find myself using the Occultist's debuffs a lot. Weakening curse is good for neutralizing big dudes while the rest of your party murders the back lines. And in the right party, the vulnerability curse is good because even against a dodgy enemy the mark always hits.
very effective in the Warrens. Swinetaurs have relatively low debuff resist(compared to the Blighted Giants, the assholes) and they have no other tricks aside from "I hit you really god drat hard".

Actually, 2x Occultist trivializes a lot of the Warrens. No more insane hooks and butcher cuts, no more 20 damage AoE boar rushes.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
quote =/= edit

Halser fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Aug 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gbuchold
Oct 7, 2007

We feel free because we lack the very language to articulate our unfreedom.
Pillbug

Halser posted:

Well, I accidentally quoted myself instead of editing my post.

People do this all the time, just wipe the second post and write "quote =/= edit"

• Locked thread