Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

daslog posted:

Is the Rickie Fowler mustache going to be the new thing?

I was just coming to post this. Who the hell told him the Joe Dirt stache would be a good idea?

I miss the DeLaet hobo beard. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Dye's valley was awesome. The TPC stadium course was being bulldozed, so not a lot of course pictures, but they are spending some serious money renovating it. Every green was dug up and even the range too. They're apparently putting replicas of 17 and other holes on the range. My wife's group(the reason I was there) got a decent tour of the clubhouse including drinking in the "pub 17" where the players hang out before/after the rounds.

The Men's locker room at TPC

The Champions locker room(for winners of TPC)

Some lockers in that room:

This guy is EVIL

The last few winner's club donations

Ricky Fowler's Scorecard and portrait

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

pete dye owns :colbert:

those pictures own

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

DJExile posted:

pete dye owns :colbert:

those pictures own

There's an 8 foot by 8 foot oil painting of Jerry pate jumping into the water at 17 in the lobby. 😀. That place is awesome.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

So I had a pretty awesome round on Saturday. In fact it was my personal best at this course and just an all around great round. The only thing that prevented me from scoring lower was the greens were about 3 weeks or so into being punched/sanded and there was still craters and lots of sand on them basically not allowing any smooth rolling putts. I was hitting my driver better than any other round this year, playing my, what everyone who plays with me, calls a power fade perfectly. I really only had one hole where I had a bad drive and a difficult 2nd shot but was still able to get up and down for par. I think if the greens had been rolling smoother, I had 3 or 4 putts that either stopped on the lip or rolled just by that probably would've fallen. All in all a pretty awesome day.

Also, has anyone used the Vice (http://www.vicegolf.com/us2/) balls yet? I found a brand new pro neon last week in some rough last week and decided to try it out for this round. I must say, I'm super impressed with this ball. Around the green it has an incredible amount of spin, I've been using nike rzn whites and I've been having trouble getting them to stop and spin, but these Vice balls spin like crazy. Supposedly they are comparable to Pro V1s and I believe it. I might have to order a box and play with them some more to really test them out, but I used the same ball all round for the above round and it did great. It's pretty tore up and there's no way I could use it for another round, and, I probably should have switched it out half way through this one because it started to get pretty cut up, but I didn't want to change anything at that point.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Farking Bastage posted:

There's an 8 foot by 8 foot oil painting of Jerry pate jumping into the water at 17 in the lobby. 😀. That place is awesome.

oh my god hahahahahaha

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

DJExile posted:

oh my god hahahahahaha

Lol that's awesome.

Mattfl I've never played the Vice ball but I've heard similar things (plays like a ProV1). I've played the MG C4 and the Snell MTB which are basically the same thing, ProV1 clones for half the price. I'd still game them if I couldn't get 5A ProV1s from lostgolfballs for even cheaper. My last bucket of 100 balls had one single ball with a slight scuff, and cost me like $120 with free shipping.

I used Chrome Softs earlier this year until I ran out, and for a while I hit them side by side with ProV1s. They feel like they should go farther off the driver since you can feel the compression but for me they were actually a touch shorter.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

mattfl posted:

So I had a pretty awesome round on Saturday. In fact it was my personal best at this course and just an all around great round. The only thing that prevented me from scoring lower was the greens were about 3 weeks or so into being punched/sanded and there was still craters and lots of sand on them basically not allowing any smooth rolling putts. I was hitting my driver better than any other round this year, playing my, what everyone who plays with me, calls a power fade perfectly. I really only had one hole where I had a bad drive and a difficult 2nd shot but was still able to get up and down for par. I think if the greens had been rolling smoother, I had 3 or 4 putts that either stopped on the lip or rolled just by that probably would've fallen. All in all a pretty awesome day.

Also, has anyone used the Vice (http://www.vicegolf.com/us2/) balls yet? I found a brand new pro neon last week in some rough last week and decided to try it out for this round. I must say, I'm super impressed with this ball. Around the green it has an incredible amount of spin, I've been using nike rzn whites and I've been having trouble getting them to stop and spin, but these Vice balls spin like crazy. Supposedly they are comparable to Pro V1s and I believe it. I might have to order a box and play with them some more to really test them out, but I used the same ball all round for the above round and it did great. It's pretty tore up and there's no way I could use it for another round, and, I probably should have switched it out half way through this one because it started to get pretty cut up, but I didn't want to change anything at that point.

Vice are pretty good. But, a single dozen isn't a good bargain. Their deal is, they heavily discount as the order grows. So,, a dozen will be not that much cheaper than other premium balls. Three dozen and up, much much cheaper. You can order a sampler dozen which has a sleeve of each of their 4 types for a decent price, but you're only getting one sleeve of their top ball.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
I was on track to beat my dad handily this weekend. He's always had this horribly flat swing that looks like someone shooting a hockey puck. From the way he's been talking to me about golf over the past few months (he moved onto a golf course a year ago) I thought he must have changed things but it looked exactly the same to me. So I think there's really no way I can lose, even being far less experienced, when my dad is swinging like that still. I'm not good by any means but I've got an easy 20-50 yards more driving distance and I'm putting decently. I'm basically playing bogey golf and he's chunking around struggling to find the magic sauce to make this weird swing work.

I had a big lead on him approaching the last few holes. We get to a simple par 3 and he hits it into the frontside bunker. I make it just over the bunker and my ball embeds itself into the top lip grass above the bunker. As we're driving up I tell him I'm going to look at it but might take an unplayable lie and move my ball back for a 1 stroke penalty. He thinks I'm crazy for not going for par and kind of implies taking an unplayable in this situation being against the rules (it's not of course).

I have been so good about playing conservatively in those weird situations rather than going for the hero shot that finds worse trouble. But it doesn't look too bad as I'm standing over it and he's encouraging me to just go for it. I let him influence me and decide I'll try for it. I'm standing in the bunker, my ball is outside of it about waist high. This isn't a shot I've practiced and it feels weird with the ball so high compared to my feet. First swing the ball doesn't even move, just buries deeper. Second swing same thing. Third swing dislodges it but it's so deep in the dirt it just falls out into the bunker. It's a tall bunker but I barely get it out then have to chip it onto the green and I two putt for +5 on that hole. I'm still annoyed thinking about how stupid that decision was. I knew it was going to be challenging even if the ball wasn't waist high with me standing in sand. I should have taken the unplayable, chipped it onto the green and gotten bogey.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Summit posted:

I have been so good about playing conservatively in those weird situations rather than going for the hero shot that finds worse trouble. But it doesn't look too bad as I'm standing over it and he's encouraging me to just go for it. I let him influence me and decide I'll try for it. I'm standing in the bunker, my ball is outside of it about waist high. This isn't a shot I've practiced and it feels weird with the ball so high compared to my feet. First swing the ball doesn't even move, just buries deeper. Second swing same thing. Third swing dislodges it but it's so deep in the dirt it just falls out into the bunker. It's a tall bunker but I barely get it out then have to chip it onto the green and I two putt for +5 on that hole. I'm still annoyed thinking about how stupid that decision was. I knew it was going to be challenging even if the ball wasn't waist high with me standing in sand. I should have taken the unplayable, chipped it onto the green and gotten bogey.

lmao that's good dadding right there

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

DJExile posted:

lmao that's good dadding right there

Yup, seconded. This is pretty much a dad's job on the golf course.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Summit you have been welcomed to a very important lesson on the golf course:

Anyone over the age of about 55-60, once they know the younger types will out-drive them, will play more confidently, etc, will be out for blood in any sort of competitive play, and that only gets stronger as they get older. Old guys will get in your head and gently caress with you something fierce, they will argue the tightest rules, they will do anything to mess with you and then destroy you around the greens even if you out-drove them by 100+ yards off the tee.

I can't wait to do it myself :getin:

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

DJExile posted:

Summit you have been welcomed to a very important lesson on the golf course:

Anyone over the age of about 55-60, once they know the younger types will out-drive them, will play more confidently, etc, will be out for blood in any sort of competitive play, and that only gets stronger as they get older. Old guys will get in your head and gently caress with you something fierce, they will argue the tightest rules, they will do anything to mess with you and then destroy you around the greens even if you out-drove them by 100+ yards off the tee.

I can't wait to do it myself :getin:

I golf with a four/five-some of old guys every Sunday (let's say minimum 60 years old) that are still super competitive and love to play. They were not happy that I won all our money holes this weekend :D

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

Yeah, he totally got into my head. Good game dad :argh:

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
Golf digest has a first look at the Ryder cup outfits:

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/a-first-look-at-the-us-ryder-cup-outfits

I really want the Friday and Saturday get ups. I hope it's nice out because I think those two days with just the pants and polos look great. Unfortunately all of this stuff is stupid expensive. That Saturday quarter zip is $244.99 :sigh:

E: There are some navy blue waterproof pants for $394.99 and they're already almost all sold out, they only have large left. Crazy.

Jovial Cow fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 29, 2016

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

drat that friday outfit is hot to death

Also death to camo

E: The tuesday shirt is really nice too

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Sunday is clearly the best and classiest.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Can't stop laughing at this video, although it is good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB1velb0EqU

1st comment spot on: "Doyn, DOYN, & AROYND through the GROYND."

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Halo14 posted:

Can't stop laughing at this video, although it is good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB1velb0EqU

1st comment spot on: "Doyn, DOYN, & AROYND through the GROYND."
That's basically the Kalassy Swing Magic from like 1999.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
This happened last week:

Finally put together a round with almost no mistakes and had a couple of good/lucky breaks go my way at the same time.

Eagle on #4 was a 4i out of the rough from 220y that rolled about 25 feet past the hole and the bumpy downhill putt somehow held it's line and went in.

Birdie on #16 could have easily been a 5. Drove it into the trees on the right. 168y to the hole and a tiny window between two trees. I said gently caress it and hit a perfect punch 4i through the gap and it ended up 20 feet past the pin. Putt was all downhill with about 2 feet of right-left break and I hit it way too hard, but it hit the middle of the hole and went in. If it misses it's 10 feet past.

Drove it into the right rough on 18 and had 275y to the hole, a little down wind. Hit a great 3w up to the front edge of the green and missed the eagle putt by 2 inches.

That was fun!

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Keyser S0ze posted:

Sunday is clearly the best and classiest.

I wish someone would send this article to Nike's Soccer department for the next US Men's National Team kit. Tell them these are the only three colors they can chose from. Either that or give the contract for Soccer jerseys to Ralph Lauren.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Played for the first time in a month today, or more accurately swung a club for the first time in a month today. Shot 100, my feet hurt, I'm sunburned, and my short game is absolutely awful.

Didn't help that the course I played decided to punch the greens, fairways, and tee boxes in the same week. Conditions were miserable.

I was also hitting my irons about a club longer than I usually do so that led to some interesting holes.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Christ, what an amazing round BCRock!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

BCRock posted:

This happened last week:

Finally put together a round with almost no mistakes and had a couple of good/lucky breaks go my way at the same time.

Eagle on #4 was a 4i out of the rough from 220y that rolled about 25 feet past the hole and the bumpy downhill putt somehow held it's line and went in.

Birdie on #16 could have easily been a 5. Drove it into the trees on the right. 168y to the hole and a tiny window between two trees. I said gently caress it and hit a perfect punch 4i through the gap and it ended up 20 feet past the pin. Putt was all downhill with about 2 feet of right-left break and I hit it way too hard, but it hit the middle of the hole and went in. If it misses it's 10 feet past.

Drove it into the right rough on 18 and had 275y to the hole, a little down wind. Hit a great 3w up to the front edge of the green and missed the eagle putt by 2 inches.

That was fun!

Hell of a round man. Congrats!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

goddamn, BCRock :cheers:

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

BCRock posted:

That was fun!

Yeah budddddddy!
Get some!

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Thanks guys. I'm just hoping some of that carries over to my tournament on Thursday.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

BCRock posted:

This happened last week:

God drat! NOICE

I haven't played in like...3 or 4 weeks. I'm gonna live through you.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Went to the range today. Last half of the bucket I just focused on trying to hit a good 7 iron 3 times in a row. I was able to hit two good shots in a row a couple times but never three. I would either leave the face open and hit a push slice, or I'd hit a low shot because I hit it thin, or I hit a fat shot. Now my left arm is sore, I assume from gripping the club with too much tension.

edit: Just realized I'm not keeping my left arm straight with the club at address. I'm doing more of a triangle. I wonder if this is my issue...

daslog fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Sep 1, 2016

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Could you show us a video of your swing?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Halo14 posted:

Could you show us a video of your swing?

You asked for it. I took these the other day with my phone. Fat goon in his late 40's learns to golf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr-pLuqmVKc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDuECY6UvU8

Playlist.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvrNzEJGLQ8tgkRmV-CmITUnBDvIxnkdv

daslog fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Sep 1, 2016

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
I think you need to focus from the ground up. You are swinging off your feet and this causes inconsistency as you've described before. Try to get a stable base and slow things down to keep balance.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

Halo14 posted:

I think you need to focus from the ground up. You are swinging off your feet and this causes inconsistency as you've described before. Try to get a stable base and slow things down to keep balance.

Yeah I agree with this 100%. You are practically falling over at the end of some of those driver shots. I would bet anything you're much more stable with the short irons which is why they feel so much easier. One thought I like is to swing my long irons and driver the same as my 9 iron (with some minor setup adjustments due to length of club, but same speed, feel, tempo, etc).

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I'll give it a shot today. I think a started doing that because I was hitting so many fat shots. My weight shift needs some work

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

daslog posted:

I'll give it a shot today. I think a started doing that because I was hitting so many fat shots. My weight shift needs some work

Weight shift for sure, but also you look like you're standing too far away from the ball. If you bent over more at your waist where would the club head sit? Looks like most of your strikes are bottom toe side and your weight shift and balance is causing a pretty nice outside to in swing. On the second video with the iron there is a lot of lower body movement going on too try to keep your knees/legs from moving at all, like your right knee buckles in toward your left on the down swing and it shouldn't do that, it should pivot in place.

thebushcommander fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Sep 1, 2016

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

thebushcommander posted:

Weight shift for sure, but also you look like you're standing too far away from the ball. If you bent over more at your waist where would the club head sit? Looks like most of your strikes are bottom toe side and your weight shift and balance is causing a pretty nice outside to in swing. On the second video with the iron there is a lot of lower body movement going on too try to keep your knees/legs from moving at all, like your right knee buckles in toward your left on the down swing and it shouldn't do that, it should pivot in place.

Thanks for the feedback. I would just like to summarize to make sure I understand correctly.

1. Bend over a bit more at the waist.
2. Too much lower body movement.
3. Keep working on weight shift.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Where are these magical places with wide open driving ranges on real loving grass! :argh:

also: your head and body are moving way around too much watch the dude in the red hat behind you......he's got good form.

pmac
Jun 12, 2007

thebushcommander posted:

On the second video with the iron there is a lot of lower body movement going on too try to keep your knees/legs from moving at all, like your right knee buckles in toward your left on the down swing and it shouldn't do that, it should pivot in place.

I disagree. The trail leg should pivot but lateral motion toward the lead leg is crucial to allowing your hips to turn through impact. Good luck turning your hips sufficiently with a static trail leg. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omJACGDhjAY Just do what Rory does :)

Also note how little lateral movement there is in Rory's backswing. In fact, Rory moves his hips several inches toward the target on his backswing with a short iron. He probably has 60% of his weight on his right side at the top of the swing. If you draw a line from his outside heel up to his head at setup he never crosses it.

Limiting your lateral motion away from the target is how you stop hitting it fat. There are plenty of golfers who can play good golf with big lateral sways away from the target, but it requires an immense amount of coordination and timing to do it consistently.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I hit the range again today. Thanks for all the feedback, I really hit a lot better today just keeping things simple and controlled.

Here is a video of 3 7 irons I hit that had some draw and looked pretty nice. One thing I noticed on the slo mo version is that I just slightly raise my chest and shoulders at the top of my backswing. Then I bring them back down on the downswing. I think this is bad because it's more poo poo moving that's hard to correct. Would like to hear other opinions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn9PUG8XjIA

Here is a video of me hitting the last ball of the day. I'm a bit tired and sweaty, and I hit it totally fat. The video cut my head off, but if anyone can tell me why I hit it fat that would be great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBXarFB7dTg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

I might be in the minority on this but I think weight shift is overemphasized in golf. Sure you need to do it but if you've played any sports at all it will happen pretty naturally in my opinion. Trying to force it will probably mean you're overdoing it and ironically losing power.

If I asked you to throw a ball far I wouldn't need to bring up weight shift to most athletic people. Same thing in my mind.