Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

So they're going to reverse engineer a CF6-50, make an indigenous copy, and call it a Chinese engine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Having flashbacks to Chinese car crash tests, and cannot wait to see their home made jet engine.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
There's gonna be a lot of new material for this thread soon I guess. Just hope it doesn't involve people dying.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

kastein posted:

There's gonna be a lot of new material for this thread soon I guess. Just hope it doesn't involve people dying.

To be fair, most Chinese made Jets and Cars do not meet the standards required for US or even EU sales. So outside of sales to Chinese allies, I don't think we'll see many of them.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

CommieGIR posted:

Having flashbacks to Chinese car crash tests, and cannot wait to see their home made jet engine.

If Chinese planes were used on 9/11, the planes would have just disintegrated with no visible damage to the buildings.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

um excuse me posted:

Oh god. As someone that works with engineering on jet engine design and testing I can tell you that even the big players in the business are only starting to understand some of the ways metallurgy performs under the conditions you find in jet engines. Like, we figured out something new the other week that effects nearly every jet engine made since the 80s. The Chinese don't know any of this yet. That's scary.
One thing China is striding ahead of the rest of the world is state sponsored industrial espionage. They'll be years ahead of where they should be in no time! :buddy:

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'm gonna start plugging bad data for the F35 in compromising locations to gently caress with the Chinese.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

BraveUlysses posted:

Don't worry they're busy hacking their way into your systems right now

TOO LATE THEY ALREADY HACKED THE GIBSON.

But, yeah, this is going to be interesting.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

um excuse me posted:

I'm gonna start plugging bad data for the F35 in compromising locations to gently caress with the Chinese.
Lockheed Martin is way ahead of you.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

um excuse me posted:

The entire f35 program is just a honeypot.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

SDI part 2.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
i think commercial aircraft components have to adhere to international standards so chinese made engines will have to pass all the same tests any other manufacturer's

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Sure the roads are lovely, but they're not the failure in this case...

Comments range from get airbags to get 35k springs.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Boogalo posted:

Sure the roads are lovely, but they're not the failure in this case...

Comments range from get airbags to get 35k springs.

Its almost as if those automotive engineers thought of that when they made the suspension or something...

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah, if only someone had built the car with more suspension uptravel and further, designed it so that the wheel and tire could not strike the bodywork or any other chassis components at any point in its travel until the bumpstops were fully compressed.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Ok so I have about an inch and a half of clearance between my fender and tires. My springs are 500lbs/in (about 9k) and I can hit potholes and stuff okay. Motion ratio is something like 78% in the rear. So I can max out at 900lbs of compression in the rear. So while that dude would need stupid stiff springs to maintain that ride height, it doesn't need to be off the charts.

This is making some pretty wild saftey exceptions.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
One time when I was working at a suspension/chassis setup shop an evo came in with 2000lb/in rear springs. Really not sure what the guy who set that up was thinking.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

jamal posted:

One time when I was working at a suspension/chassis setup shop an evo came in with 2000lb/in rear springs. Really not sure what the guy who set that up was thinking.

Bigger numbers are better? :v:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

CommieGIR posted:

To be fair, most Chinese made Jets and Cars do not meet the standards required for US or even EU sales. So outside of sales to Chinese allies, I don't think we'll see many of them.

There's some Chinese cars already in Australia and the EU, I think.

jamal posted:

Stiff is fast?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

When I was a lot younger I "taught" myself what different suspension settings did by maxing something out on gran tourism then winding it back until I saw what happened. I'm sure I misunderstood 90% of what I did but I guess he was doing the real life expensive version of that.

I learnt nothing and remembered none of it

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

kastein posted:

Reimagine that Boeing 787 wing stress test that far surpasses the goal strength but instead of success the wing snaps at 80 ft/lbs and the chicken bone holding the wings on impales the program director in the chest.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Slim Pickens posted:

Reimagine that Boeing 787 wing stress test that far surpasses the goal strength but instead of success the wing snaps at 80 ft/lbs and the chicken bone holding the wings on impales the program director in the chest.

...and then we see them in the air over Beijing a year later anyway.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

H110Hawk posted:

Good news, China is going to start making plane engines! http://www.bbc.com/news/business-37212009

Technically, China already manufactures plane engines.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continental_Motors,_Inc.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Slim Pickens posted:

impales the program director in the chest.
edit delete

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Aug 29, 2016

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

Seat Safety Switch posted:

There's some Chinese cars already in Australia and the EU, I think.

Yup, Great Wall Motors (warning: autoplay sound) already sell in AU and the UK.

They're definitely a horrible mechanical failure. but so cheap

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

jamal posted:

Would one use crazy stiff springs on a car intended to run with a lot of downforce? I assume you have to go stiffer than normal in those cases but have no idea what's reasonable.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Technically, China already manufactures plane engines.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continental_Motors,_Inc.

I wouldn't exactly call Continental a company on the leading edge of aviation technology...

China has been struggling with building properly modern gas turbine engines for a long, long time now, and their failure to do so has been somewhat of a national embarrassment for their aviation industry - I mean when your flashy new fifth-generation fighter jet has to rely (again) on Russian engines to fly because yours aren't ready (and might not ever be), that's kind of humiliating. Unlike a lot of machinery, gas turbine engines are notoriously difficult to reverse engineer on account of the metallurgy and the mind-bogglingly complex manufacturing processes involved.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

wolrah posted:

Would one use crazy stiff springs on a car intended to run with a lot of downforce? I assume you have to go stiffer than normal in those cases but have no idea what's reasonable.

Yes, with a reasonable amount of downforce you usually end up with pretty high spring rates to minimize pitch and roll so aero properties stay consistant. A big, flat, front splitter for example is super sensitive to changes in angle and height (most time attack/track cars are leaving a ton of time on the table because of their front end aero).

You'll also see things like 3rd springs/shocks and z-bars that only act in bump to support the car under aero loads but allow suspension movement in slower corners.

In the case I mentioned the previous shop could have saved the guy some money by using blocks of wood or something instead.

Oh, and related:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LFmWd2JkC8

Ideally you could route all the aero loads into the wheel uprights so that the chassis could be sprung normally. Some F1 and can am cars have tried it I think.

jamal fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Aug 29, 2016

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

jamal posted:

Ideally you could route all the aero loads into the wheel uprights so that the chassis could be sprung normally. Some F1 and can am cars have tried it I think.

I seem to recall they were all done that way until the various series started requiring they be mounted to the chassis instead.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

fridge corn posted:

i think commercial aircraft components have to adhere to international standards so chinese made engines will have to pass all the same tests any other manufacturer's

They no-poo poo make two versions of their aircraft; One that complies with the rules and can fly outside China, and a domestic version that doesn't and can't. There's no reason this'll be any different.

The main difference between the two aircraft is part tracking and log books. Domestic aircraft will fly until they break, foreign ones are supposed to have parts swapped out before then, but that's assuming the engineers actually did the work to calculate the service life, and having dealt with Chinese engineers, I highly doubt they did. I also guarantee that parts with unknown history or exceeded allowable service life will find their way into the foreign aircraft when a contractor somewhere decides to cut costs for a quick buck before going bankrupt and reopening in the same factory with a different name.

tldr; don't fly on a Chinese built aircraft

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Slim Pickens posted:

Chinese manufacturing is as good as anything or even better than anything the rest of the world offers. The real question is if you pay for quality - the Chinese will give you exactly what you want. You pay for crap, they will send you crap. You want quality? The exact same line will give it to you in exactly the specs you require, pay up for it tho.

Have a careful look at what you consider a quality product and you will almost certainly be surprised to find it's made in China

literally a fish posted:

Yup, Great Wall Motors (warning: autoplay sound) already sell in AU and the UK.

They're definitely a horrible mechanical failure. but so cheap

Not anymore. They are perfectly adequate now and the next generation I would expect to be at least on level with the Koreans. There's a good argument they are better than most US cars right now - there's entire lines of China Domestic we barely see that are very fair cars. Unlike the Koreans, we wont see a few generations of jokes before they get genuinely good.

TBH, I would not be surprised that in 10 years time, the whole Chinese Crap will be nothing more than a racist footnote, given the speed of Chinese development and the sheer amount of highly educated and motivated individuals China has a huge supply of. It's not all industrial espionage that is fuelling China's development.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I am reminded of this presentation (PDF) about Chinese electronics counterfeiting. My favourite part is page 23, where they’re washing electronics components by hand in the river, but the forged documents (including milspec) are more relevant here. One document has the inspector listed as “JDOE”.

Some of these parts cost one tenth of one cent each, but someone is still going to the trouble of washing them, re‐packaging them, and passing them off as new.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Chinese manufacturing is as good as anything or even better than anything the rest of the world offers. The real question is if you pay for quality - the Chinese will give you exactly what you want. You pay for crap, they will send you crap. You want quality? The exact same line will give it to you in exactly the specs you require, pay up for it tho.

Have a careful look at what you consider a quality product and you will almost certainly be surprised to find it's made in China

I think the issue is that local industry can produce quality goods too, meaning the only Chinese goods most people are exposed to is the cheap crap.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

Enourmo posted:

I seem to recall they were all done that way until the various series started requiring they be mounted to the chassis instead.

There were a lot of early attempts to use wings mounted direct to suspension that were... not adequately strong.

*quickedit*

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

TBH, I would not be surprised that in 10 years time, the whole Chinese Crap will be nothing more than a racist footnote, given the speed of Chinese development and the sheer amount of highly educated and motivated individuals China has a huge supply of. It's not all industrial espionage that is fuelling China's development.

... working for a small engine / generator company that does our production in China and dealing with the results of their engineers trying to solve problems... I'm... less sure than you seem to be.

mekilljoydammit fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Aug 29, 2016

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I recall a story from one of my teachers at trade school who was installing some flashy new (at the time) CNC lathes in factories in China in the late 80s. He got to one factory and pulled up with the truck, and asked the foreman through his driver/interpreter where the forklift was to get the lathe off the truck. The foreman laughed and then got 30-odd guys to pick it up and move it into place. They pushed some i-beams through where the forks were supposed to go and just schlepped it into the factory while he watched. He said it was like watching some ancient emperor on his mobile throne.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

You also have to constantly watch the output to make sure they aren't trying to cheat you. The internet is awash with stories of people getting quality prototypes back from China. Then they go to production and find out several components were replaced with inferior and cheaper bits so the factory could save money.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

um excuse me posted:

Oh god. As someone that works with engineering on jet engine design and testing I can tell you that even the big players in the business are only starting to understand some of the ways metallurgy performs under the conditions you find in jet engines. Like, we figured out something new the other week that effects nearly every jet engine made since the 80s. The Chinese don't know any of this yet. That's scary.

I can't wait. It blows my mind what kind of work modern high bypass jet / fans / turbines whatever engines can produce. I hope they post FAA proving videos to youtube.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cojawfee posted:

You also have to constantly watch the output to make sure they aren't trying to cheat you. The internet is awash with stories of people getting quality prototypes back from China. Then they go to production and find out several components were replaced with inferior and cheaper bits so the factory could save money.

Factories have also been caught skimming by offering the initial batch with respectable parts and then using less quality parts on the production run, and the factory pockets the difference.

Yeah, China's done some amazing things considering they had to play catch up, but they are still cutting corners left and right and its not gotten much better.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

mekilljoydammit posted:

... working for a small engine / generator company that does our production in China and dealing with the results of their engineers trying to solve problems... I'm... less sure than you seem to be.

A few of the companies I do IT for deal directly with Chinese manufacturing. I'm VERY sure I'm right, especially with the "pay for quality, you get it" and the pace they are developing. Just in the last 10 years, the changes have been not short of miraculous and will just keep going... for an example, the steel we used to get from local production was a mile better 10 years ago. Not anymore, China can outdo any local steel. Electronics are also so much different as well, all our new heavy manufacturing machinery is made in China and you cant tell the difference between say a German sourced machine or a Chinese one. If anything, the Chinese one is better.

We have for example a testing rig that is from 1998 and it is is ridiculous - looks like a 1950's Soviet contraption. We're replacing them with something that looks and works as well as any German testing rig but half the cost and twice the warranty, with some of the best build quality and wiring I've ever seen. Seriously, it's a goddamn work of art internally.

We're getting to the point where Chinese production machinery is just straight out better and works with better tolerances than anything from the USA or Germany - also cheaper to run and more reliable. We have a fibregass roofing machine that is almost fume proof - which if you have ever worked with creating fibreglass panelling, is a major achievement. The warehouse there no longer looks like a Columbian marching powder facility and it doesn't give you a resin high from 100 meters.. we no longer need EPA exemptions. That fibreglasser wasn't cheap by any stretch but it's paid for itself by not exposing the production to EPA fines.

Enourmo posted:

I think the issue is that local industry can produce quality goods too, meaning the only Chinese goods most people are exposed to is the cheap crap.

Just proves the whole "pay for crap, you get crap"

quote:

Yeah, China's done some amazing things considering they had to play catch up, but they are still cutting corners left and right and its not gotten much better.

No different than any other production warehouse anywhere else in the world. Unless you keep a heavy hand on production facilities, all sort of ridiculous poo poo gets pulled, the Chinese are no different or worse.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Aug 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

We have for example a testing rig that is from 1998 and it is is ridiculous - looks like a 1950's Soviet contraption. We're replacing them with something that looks and works as well as any German testing rig but half the cost and twice the warranty, with some of the best build quality and wiring I've ever seen. Seriously, it's a goddamn work of art internally.

So what you’re saying is that your rig will determine you’re doing a test, then completely alter its behaviour to guarantee a pass? :v: