Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
mate just fucken go it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Chris Kenny posted:

mate just fucken go dogs

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
man the chris kenny burns are coming faster than chris kenny at a dog show

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Cartoon posted:

This is such a common tactic surely it has a label by now.

It's generally called 'teaching the controversy.'

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Gorbash posted:

False equivalence fallacy is the usual one.

Bad example for false equivalence there. The burden of proof for climate change is on the people seeking to prove it. Pointing out the skeptic is a "non-scientist" is an appeal to authority. It doesn't matter who is trying to prove or reject a proof, it is the evidence or lack thereof that makes the decision.
There are a lot of scientists who get more support and funding via government by supporting the climate change hypothesis, and the American government (for example) responds by saying we need to control people's freedoms more. This is not a debate about the environment at all or we would be rejecting violence- literal destruction of humans and the environment- even when the violence is enacted by government. The government is destroying us in the name of protecting us, under the guise of "environment". What about the post office desperately trying to maintain its existence, circulating spam mail and general garbage nobody wants or needs. Waste of paper and an entire office of workers, and a waste of money.

Money is a wild card for resources, once you understand money=resources then you will see that economy and environment support each other. Any time someone demands restricting economic freedom in the name of environment is walking one direction while facing the opposite. Restricting economic freedom restricts one's ability to support the environment. And a restriction is usually enforced by the violent hand of the government, pure environmental destruction. Violence always achieves the opposite of the intended goal.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Starshark posted:

Bad example for false equivalence there. The burden of proof for climate change is on the people seeking to prove it. Pointing out the skeptic is a "non-scientist" is an appeal to authority. It doesn't matter who is trying to prove or reject a proof, it is the evidence or lack thereof that makes the decision.
There are a lot of scientists who get more support and funding via government by supporting the climate change hypothesis, and the American government (for example) responds by saying we need to control people's freedoms more. This is not a debate about the environment at all or we would be rejecting violence- literal destruction of humans and the environment- even when the violence is enacted by government. The government is destroying us in the name of protecting us, under the guise of "environment". What about the post office desperately trying to maintain its existence, circulating spam mail and general garbage nobody wants or needs. Waste of paper and an entire office of workers, and a waste of money.

Money is a wild card for resources, once you understand money=resources then you will see that economy and environment support each other. Any time someone demands restricting economic freedom in the name of environment is walking one direction while facing the opposite. Restricting economic freedom restricts one's ability to support the environment. And a restriction is usually enforced by the violent hand of the government, pure environmental destruction. Violence always achieves the opposite of the intended goal.

source your quotes

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
I'm fatally attracted to insane lolbs.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So let me get this right:

We hold a plebiscite on same sex marriage:
-It wont be for a year.
-It will cost half a billion dollars to run.
-Imagine the fake outrage over Safe Schools x 100 and stretched out over a whole goddamn year.
-The results are not binding so members of parliment can ignore it if they dont like that polls suggest 55%+ will vote for it.
-SSM doesnt happen for the forseeable future.

We dont hold it:
-LNP+Nats+One Nation still have the numbers to block poo poo up
-poo poo is stuffed til the next election.
-Even then it might not happen depending on how hung Parliment is in 2019?

or

We dont hold it:
-Somehow Leadership happens
-Bill passes?
-:toot:???

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

yeah basically thanks to ~politics~ it's highly unlikely that a portion of our citizens will achieve equality in the current political landscape.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
I don't think it will be quite as bad as the poo poo around Safe Schools honestly. You can whip up a lot of moral panic when you introduce kids into the mix. I just don't think the anti-SS marriage debate will have the same legs for bigoted shitheads.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

SynthOrange posted:

We dont hold it:
-Bill passes gas
-:toot:

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I don't think it will be quite as bad as the poo poo around Safe Schools honestly. You can whip up a lot of moral panic when you introduce kids into the mix. I just don't think the anti-SS marriage debate will have the same legs for bigoted shitheads.

nah it'll be just as bad because this is going to be forced on everyone and won't someone think of the children raised in same-sex families?????

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

SynthOrange posted:

So let me get this right:

We hold a plebiscite on same sex marriage:
-It wont be for a year.
-It will cost half a billion dollars to run.
-Imagine the fake outrage over Safe Schools x 100 and stretched out over a whole goddamn year.
-The results are not binding so members of parliment can ignore it if they dont like that polls suggest 55%+ will vote for it.

We dont hold it:
-LNP+Nats+One Nation still have the numbers to block poo poo up
-poo poo is stuffed til the next election.
-Even then it might not happen depending on how hung Parliment is in 2019?

or

We dont hold it:
-Bill passes?
-:toot:???

I read that, presuming conscience votes, this is the first parliament where SSM has majority support (not by as much as the public supports it, but enough to pass with some wiggle room). Now, whether anybody in there can and/or will put it to a conscience vote is another question, but the point is if one were held not even Bernardi, Christensen and Hansen would be able to halt it.

We're better off not getting the plebiscite for other and obvious reasons, but that trigger is what I'm gonna mourn. Nobody who can easily pull that is willing to, at least the plebiscite would've scared up some action.

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico
Four Corners expose regarding our data privacy is pretty drat good right now.

I'd say it's a must watch.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Recoome posted:

nah it'll be just as bad because this is going to be forced on everyone and won't someone think of the children raised in same-sex families?????

Yeah my cousin started with this poo poo and when I called her out on it a million of her facebook friends started arguing the toss with me ("It's not homophobia..."). Lots of morons with this opinion and I'm not allowed by law to shoot them.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Starshark posted:

Lots of morons with this opinion and I'm not allowed by law to shoot them.

Should've voted LDP then.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Homo isn't a race :smuggo:

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Redcordial posted:

Four Corners expose regarding our data privacy is pretty drat good right now.

I'd say it's a must watch.

That was pretty scary.

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico

EoinCannon posted:

That was pretty scary.

I thought I was aware of the general level of data breaches and privacy concerns, but it turns out I'm quite a ways off.

Luckily I have no funds or interesting information to steal besides in the physical sense. Not much use running the risk of getting caught for my bank account :)

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

https://twitter.com/vanbadham/status/770189389087420416

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

Wake up and smell the ashes

I work there and that kind of even looks like my store :suicide:

Note the subtle Aboriginal flag colouring on the signs

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hawthorn?

Inside was even more depressing, giant 'going out of business' banners everywhere. I just wanted house paint and patching.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Screenshot please

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
This was a good QandA.

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Doctor Spaceman posted:

This was a good QandA.

Agreed.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Good, it's bad. Enjoy solidarity.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Surely Shorten's best play on the plebiscite is to tentatively support it, contingent on Turnbull promising that the results are binding and Liberals must vote accordingly. He can't and won't, and at least then the Liberals can't paint Labor and Greens as obstructionists, as it'll be shown as the farce it is, as well as further undermining his leadership.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

Hawthorn?

Inside was even more depressing, giant 'going out of business' banners everywhere. I just wanted house paint and patching.

Yep

There's probably been about 30 staff that have quit since the original closing down announcement last year, they've kind of half-heartedly topped up a bit with fixed term casuals (most of whom know gently caress all about the products or anything really) in the last few weeks but it's still essentially a skeleton crew facing off against the Mongol hordes

Jonah Galtberg fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Aug 29, 2016

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

iajanus posted:

Screenshot please

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

she is so utterly loving pathetic

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
We've always been at war with the Greens.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please

Cleretic posted:

I read that, presuming conscience votes, this is the first parliament where SSM has majority support (not by as much as the public supports it, but enough to pass with some wiggle room). Now, whether anybody in there can and/or will put it to a conscience vote is another question, but the point is if one were held not even Bernardi, Christensen and Hansen would be able to halt it.

We're better off not getting the plebiscite for other and obvious reasons, but that trigger is what I'm gonna mourn. Nobody who can easily pull that is willing to, at least the plebiscite would've scared up some action.

I'm pretty sure the numbers have been there before, it's just that the libs and labor refused conscious votes at different times to prevent it happening. Labor wouldn't allow one whilst the libs would, then when labor decided they'd allow it the libs made it binding in their party.

It's going to happen, it's just that, as seems to be the case lately, we'll be on the wrong aide of history doing it.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

If only she hadn't banned so many people at the drop of a hat the replies would be awesome

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
To be fair to her, she has always been against the plebiscite. She just decided to bash the greens for also being anti plebiscite because that shows they're idealistic and not interested in real results....

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

hooman posted:

To be fair to her, she has always been against the plebiscite. She just decided to bash the greens for also being anti plebiscite because that shows they're idealistic and not interested in real results....

And this is exactly how I said the ALP would react. I'm just wondering how they're going to spin it if they do decide to block the plebiscite, other than weakly claim they thought of it first.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Malcolm Turnbull's popularity at new low, Newspoll shows
Satisfaction levels drop six percentage points since election to 34%, the lowest since he ousted Tony Abbott from office

You can hear those knives sharpening.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The Abbott-Turnbull-Abbott years.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The Abbott-Turnbull-Bernardi years.
:getin:

Welcome to hell

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

the Bernardi week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Federal Opposition Leader Bill Shorten has been accused of intolerance and "brutal" language towards people opposed to same-sex marriage, in a confrontation with a rector outside a church service this morning.

lol my feelings!

• Locked thread