Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Terrible photo of terrible driveways. I would have removed the cones after expansion but...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

The lesser known goffic window.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.

crazypeltast52 posted:

I don't think we have personal property taxes on vehicles in Minnesota, but we do have registration fees based on the value of the vehicle, which can't be all that different.

HOWEVER, this costs goes down dramatically longer you own the vehicle.

It's super awesome and progressive :MNteardrop:.

MN LAW posted:

(h) The annual additional tax must be computed upon a percentage of the base value as follows: during the first year of vehicle life, upon 100 percent of the base value; for the second year, 90 percent of such value; for the third year, 80 percent of such value; for the fourth year, 70 percent of such value; for the fifth year, 60 percent of such value; for the sixth year, 50 percent of such value; for the seventh year, 40 percent of such value; for the eighth year, 30 percent of such value; for the ninth year, 20 percent of such value; for the tenth year, ten percent of such value; for the 11th and each succeeding year, the sum of $25.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hd-Z7OTAjJ0

i have doubts about this staircase

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Like what?

Once he puts in the guide rails, it should be just as safe as any spiral staircase. Looks pretty solid to me and plywood is ridiculously strong for that kind of loading.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

flosofl posted:

Like what?

Once he puts in the guide rails, it should be just as safe as any spiral staircase. Looks pretty solid to me and plywood is ridiculously strong for that kind of loading.

that's encouraging

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

c0ldfuse posted:

I hesitate to call that progressive. It is small, but it does create even more incentive to keep old, lovely beaters on the road because newer cars are comparatively even more expensive than the purchase price. It's also extremely common in my experience. Sure, old vehicles can definitely maintain emissions and fuel economy when they're maintained, but that requires maintenance and there's no improving it once its on the road.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

kid sinister posted:

I'd protest the hit out of that. Also, we have personal property tax on vehicles here in Missouri.

I fought it until they eventually revoked my registration and suspended my license. They expected me to pay it while the assessment was being challenged. So I eventually paid it and moved on.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

flosofl posted:

Like what?

I agree it looks solid as gently caress, but I'd love to know how many sheets of plywood and router bits and glue it takes to make. I bet its thousands of dollars.

Also you know it's finished, they'll be no handrails fitted and you know it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The guy says he's gonna work on a railing right in the video and also mentions how much plywood he needed and that it was significantly cheaper than prefab steel steps (albeit without labour).

Can you imagine building up three or four steps and then finding one sheet that you suddenly realize you should have used in step #1?

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe
Edit: oops, I was replying to the next post up. ^^^

How much would any other spiral staircase cost, though? Assuming you were going for something with an aesthetic value, and not just a pre made cookie cutter kit. Even then they start out at around $600 online.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

One Legged Ninja posted:

Edit: oops, I was replying to the next post up. ^^^

How much would any other spiral staircase cost, though? Assuming you were going for something with an aesthetic value, and not just a pre made cookie cutter kit. Even then they start out at around $600 online.

1/2" baltic birch plywood costs $57.88 per 4'x8' sheet at Menards. He mentioned he used 13 sheets of plywood, so that's $753.87. I'd guess another $200 for that vertical steel beam, and probably $50 or so for router bits, working under the assumption that he was conservative with the machine feeds and chip loads. Probably another $50 for glue and $50 or screws brings us to $1100 and change.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Sorry I watched it on mute, I like the look I will admit.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

H110Hawk posted:

Where are the higher resolution pictures coming from? I went there and it's all small pictures.

Tumblr has deemed you unworthy of the full res images scaled in browser to 700px wide and instead is sending you images downscaled server side to 500px, because that's the kind of poo poo Tumblr does.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

c0ldfuse posted:

What's "base value" though? The price paid for the car when it was new? Because that's awful, the depreciation on a new car in the first year is *way* more than 10%, but you're paying a tax the next year based on 90% of the new-car value?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

My car's value never changed paying property tax to the city where I lived in Connecticut over five years.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Phanatic posted:

What's "base value" though? The price paid for the car when it was new? Because that's awful, the depreciation on a new car in the first year is *way* more than 10%, but you're paying a tax the next year based on 90% of the new-car value?

Probably MSRP instead of actual purchase price. Nebraska does a very similar thing.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Yea, Massachusetts does MSRP; 90% the year of production, and then it drops so that the value is only 10% of MSRP in the fifth year and thereafter. You pay $25 per thousand dollars of value.

If you buy a car the year before its production (ie, you buy a 2017 model in 2016) the valuation is 50% that year, then jumps up to 90%, then falls again.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Ashcans posted:

Yea, Massachusetts does MSRP; 90% the year of production, and then it drops so that the value is only 10% of MSRP in the fifth year and thereafter. You pay $25 per thousand dollars of value.

$1500 the first year for a $60k car? Ouch.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Chemmy posted:

Plus sales tax at purchase in Virginia. When I bought the M4 I had to pay about $3300 in sales tax and another almost $2000 in property tax up front. Next year was $1700.

While there is no personal property tax in Ohio, the full sales tax applies to the vehicle purchases, which is 8% in some counties.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I paid more sales tax than that on my 335 in California, but we only have registration fees here and mine is like $450 or something.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I ride motorcycles so I think the last one I bought cost me a hundred bucks in sales tax and $80 to register for the year.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Chemmy posted:

My car's value never changed paying property tax to the city where I lived in Connecticut over five years.

Weird, mine goes down every year. I think it's town-by-town here.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
owns bones, sorry

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

nmfree posted:

owns bones, sorry

how many of these are hanging up in your yard

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Both my grandmas have one

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.

Chemmy posted:

Yup, that's why I said "progressive" tax. If you can afford a $60k car, $1500 supplements a ton of older cars on the road and the poor who need them for work.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Zhentar posted:

Tumblr has deemed you unworthy of the full res images scaled in browser to 700px wide and instead is sending you images downscaled server side to 500px, because that's the kind of poo poo Tumblr does.

I am so triggered right now.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I think 13 might be a low estimate. He said it was taking about a sheet and a quarter of plywood per stair, and that looks like ~15 stairs.

I don't even want to think about how much CNC runtime was involved, or the amount of finish work to get that much plywood to actually turn out nice without veneering it.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Aug 31, 2016

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

None, but I do use this as my screensaver:

http://i.imgur.com/88OPVbj.gifv

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

nmfree posted:

None, but I do use this as my screensaver:

http://i.imgur.com/88OPVbj.gifv

Gotta be honest, that is really loving cool.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Hmm

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

It's just the new version of this:

Less messy!

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

:catstare: How do you even manage that? If you're using metal pipes, don't you typically ground them together?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Here is the original post: https://imgur.com/gallery/PYSGV

quote:

The kids were complaining about getting shocked sometimes in the upstairs shower. I asked my dad, the electrician, to come over and check it out. Nobody expected 120 volts to be coming through the metal tub! You can't really feel the current until you stand barefoot in a bit of water and touch something grounded (like the faucet handle). Dad turned off the breakers one by one until he found the problem circuit - on the first floor directly under the tub. He then took the breaker panel off the wall to check if the problem would be that easy to find - it wasn't. Next step: open all the outlets and light fixtures on that circuit to find the problem wire(s). TL;DR: broken wire under tub is conducting 120V through tub and shocking people.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

What a bunch of scrubs. Any idiot knows the proper solution would be to simply put that circuit on a GFCI breaker and call it done.

Smirk
Sep 20, 2005

The truth never set me free so I'll do it myself.

Who doesn't enjoy a hot bath?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Smirk posted:

Who doesn't enjoy a hot bath?

Beautiful.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Hey, if electric showers are good enough for our troops...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

Liquid Communism posted:

I think 13 might be a low estimate. He said it was taking about a sheet and a quarter of plywood per stair, and that looks like ~15 stairs.

I don't even want to think about how much CNC runtime was involved, or the amount of finish work to get that much plywood to actually turn out nice without veneering it.

This is what confused me about them saying it was cheap. Basically like "this car repair is super cheap if you already own thousands of dollars in equipment to do it!"