Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schmischmenjamin
Dec 15, 2013

CestMoi posted:

I'm sorry for your post.

my bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Oh hey Ursula K Le Guin made it into the library of Congress.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
The most surprising thing about this thing Joyce wrote, to me, is that it's well done. It's like he's a gifted writer or something.

DoctorG0nzo
May 28, 2014

Mr. Squishy posted:

The most surprising thing about this thing Joyce wrote, to me, is that it's well done. It's like he's a gifted writer or something.

Funny, but I do get what he means. It's funny to see that a private, dirty letter he probably wrote jerking off still has comparable prose quality to his published work.

Agreed about GR too, although the combo of low art and high art is a really important part of it so it's certainly a relevant part of the discussion. There's so much of that book that's objectively beautiful, though

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Maybe the reason that Joyce only wrote one sentence per day was because he couldnt stop jerking it

DoctorG0nzo
May 28, 2014
Also maybe cause those sentences were like 60 pages long

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

I liked your post.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.
So I guess this is the best thread for it but after being a fan of his earlier work and meaning to pick it up for probably two years now I finally got round to reading Marlon James' A Brief History of Seven Killings and holy poo poo is this something special.

The narrative itself is something special covering a tonne of Jamaican history but the real feat is in the characters he creates. He uses a pretty large cast of first person narrators each with a completely individual voice and style some in patois.

I've only just finished and think I need some time to fully process it but I dont think I've read a novel that so fully transported me to another place in a specific moment in its history.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

"The Assistant Commissioner walked along a short and narrow street like a wet, muddy trench"

It's this kind of imprecision of language that means The Secret Agent, and by extension Joseph Conrad, will forever be in the shadow of the great G. K. Chesterton

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

You are drawing a line connecting a great work and a fairytale told to trick children into becoming catholics, simply because they both have the word bomb on the back cover.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

StoneOfShame posted:

So I guess this is the best thread for it but after being a fan of his earlier work and meaning to pick it up for probably two years now I finally got round to reading Marlon James' A Brief History of Seven Killings and holy poo poo is this something special.

The narrative itself is something special covering a tonne of Jamaican history but the real feat is in the characters he creates. He uses a pretty large cast of first person narrators each with a completely individual voice and style some in patois.

I've only just finished and think I need some time to fully process it but I dont think I've read a novel that so fully transported me to another place in a specific moment in its history.

Yeah, it was really very good. Very cathartic ending as well.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Mr. Squishy posted:

a fairytale told to trick children into becoming catholics

Jesus?

*places slightly smaller fedora on top of already existing fedora*

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Mr. Squishy posted:

You are drawing a line connecting a great work and a fairytale told to trick children into becoming catholics, simply because they both have the word bomb on the back cover.

Who are you even talking to

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

The guy who posted immediately before me, you idiot.

fantasy zone
Jul 24, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
genji is a very beautiful man who is the the son of the emperor and is talented at everything he does this includes singing, dancing, poetry, letter writing, kidnapping ten year old girls to groom, getting his father's concubine/mistress pregnant, getting another person he slept with killed by a ghost?, horse back riding

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
chesterton is better at writing mysteries than any of poe, doyle, christie, or hammett, or most of the other people who have published in that benighted genre, and people should read him if they like mysteries.

his ideological and rhetorical goals are orthogonal to this central point.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

CestMoi posted:

"The Assistant Commissioner walked along a short and narrow street like a wet, muddy trench"

It's this kind of imprecision of language that means The Secret Agent, and by extension Joseph Conrad, will forever be in the shadow of the great G. K. Chesterton

"Maybe it sounded better in Polish." is my Joseph Conrad mantra.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Mr. Squishy posted:

The Man Who Was Thursday is very good and isn't really a children's book at all.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

The Man who was Thursday is one of the great pieces of Christian literature because it truly captures the judeo-christian God's essence as a passive aggressive manipulative rear end in a top hat

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

Beyond sane knolls posted:

"Maybe it sounded better in Polish." is my Joseph Conrad mantra.

Dios mio...

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The Man who was Thursday is one of the great pieces of Christian literature because it truly captures the judeo-christian God's essence as a passive aggressive manipulative rear end in a top hat

The story is a nightmare, the point is that God's not like that at all.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
A REport: Ngugi's Weep Not, Child sucks, so does Modiano's Missing Person. Now I started a Latvian surrealist novel, but discovered that I'm not too excited about reading a collection of wacky scenes either :(

Maybe I should stop reading alogether for a while and just play football manager, dunno. First I'll try to have a go with Nothomb's Loving Sabotage tho, which is funny at least even if it seems to be trying too hard. Also, somebody read this and tell if the book is as good as the cover (and other reviews) make it seem: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004NSVQE4. Ta!

hooked on Fauxnics
Dec 23, 2013
I haven't been reading much lately, because I've been looking for a new job, but I wanted to say the chapters where Honda is in India in The Temple of the Golden Pavillion were really cool and intense and resonated with me as someone who was a foreigner living in India.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

great post, you're really taking those Christians down a peg or two

Burning Rain posted:

A REport: Ngugi's Weep Not, Child sucks,
What's wrong with it? too polemical?

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Tree Goat posted:

chesterton is better at writing mysteries than any of poe, doyle, christie, or hammett, or most of the other people who have published in that benighted genre, and people should read him if they like mysteries.

his ideological and rhetorical goals are orthogonal to this central point.

There's a cool Borges essay where he's talking about how people that write mysteries seem to not really understand what it is that makes mysteries good and he uses Chesterton as the example of someone who actually does. Incidentally Borges' mysteries are some of the only ones that can stand up to Chesterton IMO

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Mr. Squishy posted:

I think you are being unfair to G. K. Chesterton with this post, and I apologise for being the one that caused you to make it.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Not to mention I'm fairly sure Chesterton was still Anglican at the time The Man Who Was Thursday was published.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

A human heart posted:

great post, you're really taking those Christians down a peg or two

Wasn't taking down Christians at all? If you can't laugh at the fact Old Testament God is a prick, don't know what to tell you.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

CestMoi posted:

There's a cool Borges essay where he's talking about how people that write mysteries seem to not really understand what it is that makes mysteries good and he uses Chesterton as the example of someone who actually does. Incidentally Borges' mysteries are some of the only ones that can stand up to Chesterton IMO

Is it in Collected Essays?

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Burning Rain posted:

A REport: Ngugi's Weep Not, Child sucks, so does Modiano's Missing Person. Now I started a Latvian surrealist novel, but discovered that I'm not too excited about reading a collection of wacky scenes either :(

I just finished Villa Triste by Modiano. It's the second I've read by him, and I'm just not really into it. There were some great scenes but I finished and sorta wondered why I read it. I didn't feel like there was really much of a takeaway. Any Modiano fans feel like offering some help with him?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Is it in Collected Essays?

https://libraryofbabel.info/Borges/Borges-SelectedNonFictions.pdf

Page 133. It's good and very short.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Wasn't taking down Christians at all? If you can't laugh at the fact Old Testament God is a prick, don't know what to tell you.

yeah, name a story where god isn't an rear end in a top hat besides the creation

"FREE WILL WHAT THE gently caress YOU IDIOTS YOU ATE AN APPLE THAT GAVE YOU FREE WILL,

GET OUT GET OUT GET OUT"

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Old Testament God isn't Christian God, duh.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

yeah, name a story where god isn't an rear end in a top hat besides the creation

"FREE WILL WHAT THE gently caress YOU IDIOTS YOU ATE AN APPLE THAT GAVE YOU FREE WILL,

GET OUT GET OUT GET OUT"

Please shut up

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Gas

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Bandiet posted:

Old Testament God isn't Christian God, duh.

New Testament God is the abusive dad who wants to make it up to you and take you to baseball games but everytime he gets a little angry you panic and worry he will break mommy's arm again

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Ras Het posted:

Please shut up

Sorry about that, I'll make an actually decent post that isn't purposefully stupid poo poo. In apology.
---
I finished the new Whitehead and it's really nice to see an author who can write sci-fi (Zone One is all I'd read by him previously) make an attempt at Lit that doesn't fall flat on its face. Personally, I'd like to see more "literary" SF writers attempt works that don't involve zombies, plagues, spaceships, or whatever (I'm looking at you Paolo Bacigalupi).

This relates to my previously ignored post

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

Oh hey Ursula K Le Guin made it into the library of Congress.

There are a ton of "pulp stars" that actually can make good Lit. Specifically, Le Guin's Sur ( http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1982/02/01/sur ) is really good, and I find it sad that her work isn't taken more seriously.

I get why, because a ton of SF is awful, it's corporate as gently caress, and ppl who take it seriously are often socially crippled spergs (AKA me). Still, are there any SF authors today besides Whitehead (again, thinking of Zone One) that have made the successful transition to Literature?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

I get why, because a ton of SF is awful, it's corporate as gently caress, and ppl who take it seriously are often socially crippled spergs (AKA me). Still, are there any SF authors today besides Whitehead (again, thinking of Zone One) that have made the successful transition to Literature?

Whitehead started as literature though. Zone One was very much an aberration. His earlier works like The Intuitionist and John Henry Days are explicitly literary. (P.S. I met Whitehead, he is cool)

The problem with the distinction between sci-fi and literature is that its a marketing term and not a genre term. Plenty of literary authors write books that are ostensibly Sci-Fi in terms of content but are just well-written enough to be called literature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Whitehead started as literature though. Zone One was very much an aberration. His earlier works like The Intuitionist and John Henry Days are explicitly literary. (P.S. I met Whitehead, he is cool)

The problem with the distinction between sci-fi and literature is that its a marketing term and not a genre term. Plenty of literary authors write books that are ostensibly Sci-Fi in terms of content but are just well-written enough to be called literature.

That's my bad about Whitehead then, I didn't know. I think that's what I meant by the whole 'corporate as gently caress' thing personally though, but it'd be cool to see how many 'sci-fi' authors have personal investments in their work (beyond "I really like writing") and how many are just trying to make money. I wonder if there are any surveys like that that have been distributed to pulp authors. I mean Le Guin, Octavia Butler, Ann Leckie, Paolo Bacigalupi, Charles Yu, and others seem to have the writing chops and literary projects that blur the line between pulp and Lit. I know that sci-fi is a marketing term, but how often do you think that means the people who write sci-fi are just shoe horned?

Maybe I'm just rambling and should get a probation or something, but I feel like marketing genres often shoe-horn genuinely good writers. Is that the case for Historical Fiction or some other marketing genre?

Just curious, do you know of any other Lit authors that have dipped their feet into 'sci-fi'?