Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Ofecks posted:

It is. Too bad you can't force it during character creation.

Yes you can, just only with certain classes. I used to have a guide for this, but it involved doing your stat seeds a certain way and a lot of save states.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Right after the FFL2 DS remake... :smith:

That's been translated, actually. http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1610/
Useless I guess if you don't want to emulate or lack a flash cart.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Ofecks posted:

That's been translated, actually. http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1610/
Useless I guess if you don't want to emulate or lack a flash cart.

Oh man, I totally forgot about that project, an didn't realize it was finished. Welp, I guess I know what I'm doing after the FF5 fiesta ends.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

I was disappointed to learn that, unlike the nice Wonderswan remake of 1 (which is also translated), the game is 3D. So I passed on it. Let me know how it is.

Back on-topic. The bosses in DQ3r are so much more difficult than the original, goddamn. This is probably a good thing, though. I'm currently at Baramos, but I'm underleveled so it's pretty much impossible. I think I'm going to need Barrier and Healmore for the Hero, but meeehhhh grinding. Guess I just don't have the patience for jRPGs anymore.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Baramos is a murder motherfuck of a gateway. One trick that speedrunners often use is to exploit ironize since he has a fixed rotation in battle - basically the idea is to avoid Explodet. Problem is I'm not sure if that's still the case in the remake.

That said, his one biggest screw-you mechanic is gone in the remake - he doesn't regenerate health every turn like he did on the NES. Nothing regenerates in the SNES/GBC versions as far as I know, so it's much less of a damage race and more of an endurance trial. They DID boost his HP a lot to compensate.

What level are your dudes? You should probably be approaching 30 at this point.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Aug 21, 2016

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Neo Helbeast posted:

Just beat DQM2 3DS post game after taking like an 8 month break, good game, shame it's never coming to the west. Off to go beat Joker 3 now.

Did you stop at Darck or did you beat the postgame dungeons?

Because the postgame dungeons are what made me tap out.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Fenrir posted:

Oh man, I totally forgot about that project, an didn't realize it was finished. Welp, I guess I know what I'm doing after the FF5 fiesta ends.

Legend 3's remake got done, too, if you need a follow-up.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Do you have a link for that as well?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Ofecks posted:

I was disappointed to learn that, unlike the nice Wonderswan remake of 1 (which is also translated), the game is 3D. So I passed on it. Let me know how it is.

Back on-topic. The bosses in DQ3r are so much more difficult than the original, goddamn. This is probably a good thing, though. I'm currently at Baramos, but I'm underleveled so it's pretty much impossible. I think I'm going to need Barrier and Healmore for the Hero, but meeehhhh grinding. Guess I just don't have the patience for jRPGs anymore.

If you don't even have Healmore on the hero then yeah no poo poo Baramos is hard if you're that underleveled. You'd get stopped in the other versions too with low stats because the bosses in the NES version still had stuff like the unmentioned regen, of varying strength, which meant that if you had low firepower then some bosses could take forever or be outright impossible. Orochi's regen was 10% of their max HP per round, IIRC.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

JustJeff88 posted:

Do you have a link for that as well?

Here ought to have it. It has everything but some of the combo names.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Deki posted:

Did you stop at Darck or did you beat the postgame dungeons?

Because the postgame dungeons are what made me tap out.

I beat everything. If you're curious my final team was a Lv 100 Slimian Tank, a LV 100 Balhib, and a LV 60 Canzar, my 4th monster was your fake digimon you have to take with you.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Just finished dq4 DS for the first time since 2008. Having just played through v and vi it really didn't hold up, of course it was originally a nes game. It was still really fun. Going to play through the translated DQ 2 and 3 SFC games next before 7 comes out.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

JustJeff88 posted:

I haven't played any of the mobile versions due mostly to my aversion to touch controls, but I played the translated rom of 1 & 2 myself quite recently and I thought that it was a perfectly adequate translation.

Maybe you have a different rom from the one I had, because mine was full of translation errors (one notable bit was that they kept alternating between calling the dq1 princess "Gwaelin" and "Sara"), up to and including garbage text that would crash the game if you talked to certain people or picked certain dialogue options.

Don't get me wrong, touch controls suck, but at least it makes up for it but having everything else being well polished.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
In a perfect world they would just put the smartphone ports on the 3DS. As much as I like party chat, 4 isn't on the same level as 1-3 control-wise, and even those aren't perfect. :sigh:

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Having looked at gameplay footage, I don't think that I am going to invest in DQ Builders. I'm not for a moment saying that it's a bad game, I just don't think that it's for me as it's basically Minecraft with a lick of paint and slimes.

Now, you might be thinking "duh, of course", but hear me out. When I heard that they were doing a building game joined with DQ, a venerable and respected RPG franchise, I was hoping for something like 3D Terraria, which is a game that I adore. The key difference for me is that Terraria is an action RPG of sorts where the focus is on finding new gear and defeating bosses, but with building and creativity. Minecraft is basically just a creativity toy with a few monsters, and that just doesn't click for me. Just to clarify: yes, I have played Minecraft a fair bit and I just couldn't get into it. Spending hours and hours smashing blocks with feeble stone and iron picks desperately hoping to unearth a few diamonds was not my idea of fun.

Mind you, watching the protagonist smack around a Green Dragon and a Drakee with a club did make me smile.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I want to play DQ4 for party chat but my phone can't handle it. :(
It was my first DQ game too, I won rocking the magic twins, and Torneko.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Tired Moritz posted:

I want to play DQ4 for party chat but my phone can't handle it. :(
It was my first DQ game too, I won rocking the magic twins, and Torneko.

AI Torneko is still the greatest thing.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

The TAS agrees with you. He basically solos most of Ch 5 since all his antics can be manipulated. Build Up Power, Summon Army of Merchants, all 4 crit, win.

I found out yesterday watching RTAs that DQ3r Baramos can be easily StopSpelled. :aaa: That should help me tremendously.

e: Also Surround, but it made no difference - he kept attacking through it and wiped me again. I loving quit.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Aug 25, 2016

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
If anyone is interested as I was, I wanted to let you know that Amazon finally pulled their heads out of their asses; the digital and physical versions of DQVII for the 3DS are now listed for 16 September and are pre-orderable. The physical version is $31.99 plus tax in the US, so you're probably not going to find a better price, and it is Prime eligible.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

JustJeff88 posted:

If anyone is interested as I was, I wanted to let you know that Amazon finally pulled their heads out of their asses; the digital and physical versions of DQVII for the 3DS are now listed for 16 September and are pre-orderable. The physical version is $31.99 plus tax in the US, so you're probably not going to find a better price, and it is Prime eligible.

You can preorder the digital version on Amazon?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Prism posted:

You can preorder the digital version on Amazon?

Seems to be. It says that you can pre-order and it will be unlocked at midnight pacific time on 16 September.

I like physical copies of some games, plus the physical version is somehow cheaper.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

JustJeff88 posted:

Seems to be. It says that you can pre-order and it will be unlocked at midnight pacific time on 16 September.

I like physical copies of some games, plus the physical version is somehow cheaper.

Amazon provides a flat 20% discount on new games when you either pre-order them or buy them within two weeks of launch (possibly only for Prime members?) since they have a vested interest in keeping physical copies in circulation for the used market.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

SomeMathGuy posted:

Amazon provides a flat 20% discount on new games when you either pre-order them or buy them within two weeks of launch (possibly only for Prime members?) since they have a vested interest in keeping physical copies in circulation for the used market.

That makes a lot of sense; thanks! I'd always wondered about that because physical games have more overhead and therefore smaller margins than digital ones, so why discount the physical ones? If they did 20% on digital games, I would have twigged to that right away because they can undercut the competition and deliver immediately with no effort. I'd always wondered about the physical discount... the more you know. :nyan:

Unfortunately, one of the games I fancy that's coming out this autumn, Dragon Quest Builders, seems to be exempt from this programme.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

JustJeff88 posted:

Thanks for the heads up!

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

In Training posted:

Thanks for the heads up!

Oh, my pleasure. I've been keeping an eye on that as I wanted a physical copy, which will no doubt be in short supply, and I wanted the Amazon discount and to not have to go to Gamestop.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

JustJeff88 posted:

Oh, my pleasure. I've been keeping an eye on that as I wanted a physical copy, which will no doubt be in short supply, and I wanted the Amazon discount and to not have to go to Gamestop.

Yeah perfect thanks! I placed my order even though I mostly go digital I really wanted a cart.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
loving finally! I was starting to worry that I wouldn't be able to get a physical copy.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
I'm very tempted to play DQ9 again but with all the online stuff dead, it's kinda pointless. Making it mostly online probably wasn't the best idea

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, probably. If you have some sort of cheat devices or a flash card, all the online missions are on the cart anyway.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Highspirits is speed running DQ 1-9 on Twitch right now at https://www.twitch.tv/highspirits

This is a 1-9 RTA, no breaks. ETA is between 70-80 hours.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I hadn't realised that DQ X and XI are planned for the NX. I have no interest in X because it's an MMO, but I'm rather excited for XI.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I hope the 3DS version with the retro look makes it here too.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

BabyRyoga posted:

Highspirits is speed running DQ 1-9 on Twitch right now at https://www.twitch.tv/highspirits

This is a 1-9 RTA, no breaks. ETA is between 70-80 hours.

The 3 run just had a painful setback. The runner reset on just the wrong frame after saving and wiped his save file. Luckily he had another file near the same spot.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I was thinking about DQ IX this morning at breakfast while flipping through the strategy guide and, as much as I despise walling off content via online/multiplayer methods that inevitably die completely (War of the Lions leaps to mind), what are the options these days for getting to all of that gated content in 9? I have a legit copy of the game, an original DS and a 3DS XL, but I'm not opposed to a ROM either if that's the best way around it. I'm not going to feel bad about that because I own the game and they were idiots to do this in the first place, but I digress.

There's so much stuff in that game and it's all on the cart, so how do I get to it?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

JustJeff88 posted:

I was thinking about DQ IX this morning at breakfast while flipping through the strategy guide and, as much as I despise walling off content via online/multiplayer methods that inevitably die completely (War of the Lions leaps to mind), what are the options these days for getting to all of that gated content in 9? I have a legit copy of the game, an original DS and a 3DS XL, but I'm not opposed to a ROM either if that's the best way around it. I'm not going to feel bad about that because I own the game and they were idiots to do this in the first place, but I digress.

There's so much stuff in that game and it's all on the cart, so how do I get to it?
If you have a flashcart you can go legit copy plus flashcart with a save that has all the content unlocked, streetpass the two together and get everything on the actual copy. Well, not everything, but everything relevant - you lose the past-game-PC guests at the Inn and the equipment they give, but it doesn't have stats it just looks like them and all you miss that way is 100% completion.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I don't really know how Grottoes work, but if you the original DS and an action replay, that will open up all the extra bonus quests and retro guests for the hotel.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Grottoes work like this: You go inside one, and a sadder, more disappointed version of you comes out, with a slight chance of having advanced another space on the loot treadmill.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Bongo Bill posted:

Grottoes work like this: You go inside one, and a sadder, more disappointed version of you comes out, with a slight chance of having advanced another space on the loot treadmill.

You can also abuse the game code to guarantee another space on the loot treadmill, in exchange for additional sadness.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Really the only way to play is with a flash card. I own a physical copy as well, but since much of the content is lost forever and you only get one save slot. At least with the flash card you can unlock all the extra content, fill up your inn and back up your save files easily. The game is incredibly good and a lot of the dlc stuff is great. You will get really burned out on grottoes and the mechanic of fighting the super bosses over and over, sometimes to unlock another super boss, is awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
I want to replay DQV but I know I'm just gonna be marrying Bianca and using Tuppence 24/7. How can anyone not marry Bianca, so hosed up.