Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Jmcrofts posted:

Chicago deep dish doesn't have a layer of crust on top.

Neither does that pizza, which is a dyed in the wool Chicago style pie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Efexeye posted:

Neither does that pizza, which is a dyed in the wool Chicago style pie.

Yeah, that "crust" on top is sauce

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Aramek posted:

Fresh from my feed.

It wasn't even curry.

Trouser curry! :gonk:

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Metanaut posted:

Looks like what we call lihapiirakka (meat pastry) :

I think every north european country has their own version. White pastry that comes with a not so generous rice and "ground beef" filling.
That's why you add some cheap and crappy toppings, sausage is the most popular one here (the less meat, the better). Pictured here is one of our specialties being built, main components are ham and boiled egg.

No decent human being eats one while sober.

I love drunk food. Belgium has the mitraillete, which is a baguette with any 'meat' the fryshop has per your choice, fries and sauce

And also the dutch-sourced "kapsalon" ("hairdresser's"), which is fries, topped with döner or shawarma meat, grilled with a layer of Gouda cheese until melted and then subsequently covered with a layer of dressed salad greens. Usually drowned with garlic sauce and/or sambal.

Fishstick has a new favorite as of 21:47 on Aug 29, 2016

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
My Dutch friends post pics of that from time to time and it looks even better than poutine.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Fishstick posted:

I love drunk food. Belgium has the mitraillete, which is a baguette with any 'meat' the fryshop has per your choice, fries and sauce

And also the dutch-sourced "kapsalon" ("hairdresser's"), which is fries, topped with döner or shawarma meat, grilled with a layer of Gouda cheese until melted and then subsequently covered with a layer of dressed salad greens. Usually drowned with garlic sauce and/or sambal.

would. completely and without thought to cholesterol

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fishstick posted:

That first one looks alright, but the not-quite-a-poutine one is loving amazing sounding and looking. Think I need to make it for myself at some point

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I would eat kapsalon in a loving heartbeat. My last one, to be specific.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Fishstick posted:

any 'meat' the fryshop has per your choice

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
Did you know you can buy a plastic bucket full of instant bread and all you have to do is add water and let it sit

http://www.homecarenutrition.com/pureed-bread-mix

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

InediblePenguin posted:

Did you know you can buy a plastic bucket full of instant bread and all you have to do is add water and let it sit

Thick & Easy, just like my women.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

InediblePenguin posted:

:catstare:

no

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

InediblePenguin posted:

oh, yeah, this stuff, it got some special low-key advertising in the new Star Wars

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

InediblePenguin posted:

Wow, they have it!!

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

Data Graham posted:

This is a deep dish (aka Chicago style) pizza:

Pastry-type crust, and the whole volume is toppings/sauce/cheese. One slice and a human of average size is pretty much done.

:drat:

I'm small and would put down half that.... and then take a nap.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

sweeperbravo posted:

Wow, they have it!!

?

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have far fewer issues with canned bread as I do with the purred instant mashed potatoes loaf

There is something downright unnatural about a non-proof-non-bake bread.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008

InediblePenguin posted:

Huh, gluten free. So what on earth is it made from?

quote:

Ingredients
BREAD CRUMBS (BLEACHED WHEAT FLOUR, DEXTROSE, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF SALT, YEAST), NONFAT DRY MILK, MODIFIED FOOD STARCH, SODIUM ALGINATE.
Hmm.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

steinrokkan posted:

A common misnomer, they are actually a casserole.

Open faced sandwich actually.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
as an italian dish, it is quite obvious its a pasta

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Fishstick posted:

:australia: drunk food:

They're called Halal Snack Packs and are causing a political storm because 'halal' hahah.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Plinkey posted:

Open faced sandwich actually.

https://youtu.be/3MXCW6otqt8

Graedyn
Feb 21, 2009

Wedge Regret

EorayMel posted:

What-What is this? :smith:

It kind of resembles what is called an Indian taco up in these parts (ND): all of the stuff you eat in a normal taco but in a piece of fry bread folded in half like a taco shell. They're still one of the biggest sellers at the Downtowner's Street Fair held each year in September. They're really good when the bread is freshly fried and the outside is still crispy and the inside is soft and steamy.

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008

Graedyn posted:

It kind of resembles what is called an Indian taco up in these parts (ND): all of the stuff you eat in a normal taco but in a piece of fry bread folded in half like a taco shell. They're still one of the biggest sellers at the Downtowner's Street Fair held each year in September. They're really good when the bread is freshly fried and the outside is still crispy and the inside is soft and steamy.

Reverse GIS says it's a fish sandwich.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

This is the modern Tower of Babel. A true affront to god.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
would

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

Cerepol posted:

Ugh how central is Mayo to this. I can't stand the stuff

somebody else already answered, but here's 1 hot gringo hack: use a dab of sour cream or good crema instead. elotes for all, friend.

gentle pete
Feb 21, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo

InediblePenguin posted:

Apparently this is a picture of the finished product

:(

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

InediblePenguin posted:

We have these in the Nutrition Services dept. at the hospital I work at. http://www.homecarenutrition.com/magic-cup-fzn-dessert-van-org-creme-30-4-floz

I tried the orange one once. They taste awful. We also have pureed shaped Hormel meat & veggie patty things. Never seen them used, but they probably also taste awful. http://www.homecarenutrition.com/products/thickened-foods/thick-easyr-puree not these, but close enough.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

this stuff is good and I would any day

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
That site also has instantized pasta

The word "instantized" only brings to mind one thing

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

gentle pete posted:

Apparently this is a picture of the finished product

:(

That looks like bad white cornbread with how dense it seems to be.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Butt Ox posted:

That site also has instantized pasta

The word "instantized" only brings to mind one thing

I just noticed the text showing through the rear, so I reversed and bumped up the contrast to see what someone drawing this nightmare was reading:

well that was boring.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Fishstick posted:

This is definitely the wrong thread for that.

SynthOrange posted:

:australia: drunk food:

They're called Halal Snack Packs and are causing a political storm because 'halal' hahah.
I walked past a place selling these today and was pretty tempted, but I'd just eaten a sandwich so I decided against it.

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck

Fishstick posted:

I tried the mitraillette last week because my friends insisted, the collective gastrointestinal distress was severe. It wasn't even good. Belgian fries are usually unsalted "because it tastes more like potato", so you just have layer upon layer of bland carbs that you hopelessly shake a salt packet at in the hope that it will drive away the flavour of old, slightly under-temperature fryer fat. As is the case in the above picture, the fries will have brown edges and hold their shape but somehow fail to be crispy, holding only just above soggy.

Belgium's greatest culinary offense is that they think anything can be improved by diluting it with mayo. Spicy sauce? Mayo with a whisper of sambal or sriracha. Tuna salad? Mayo that once shook hands with a tuna can. Even garlic sauce only tastes like mayo that tried to hit on garlic in a bar one time. The worst was when I asked for barbecue sauce on a sandwich and got mayo mixed with American smoky barbecue sauce. The general effect is that everything tastes the same way going down as it would coming up :gonk:

Disclaimer: really good Belgian fries with unadulterated mayo are really good

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010
You know, now that you mention it, those fries do really look like the "oddly soft but still unpleasantly starchy" sort of undercooked fries that you get at lovely joints. Sad (!)

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

PiratePing posted:

Belgian fries are usually unsalted "because it tastes more like potato"

I feel like you went to a really terrible place to try and eat fries. This is not something that usually happen, and besides, if it does, there's always a huge salt shaker on the counter.

And yes, mitraillette is really not good. It's bachelor food for after a hangover and even then 100% of people eating it regret it. A normal serving of fries is enough to be satiated but somehow, in a drunken stupor, some people think that adding even more carb in the form of a dried piece of industrial bread is a good thing and that it's really a good value because of how filling it is.

The reputation about being Belgian fries being good really comes more from a long tradition and very small number of fry shops. 80% of the fry shops in Belgium serve bland and soggy unfreezed fries, but when you find a decent shop who knows how to correctly cook fresh fries depending on the potato variety (requiring different oil temperatures), you can never go back to sad lovely fries.

I personally know of only 3-4 shops serving good fries in Belgium and I've been living here forever

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

I feel like you went to a really terrible place to try and eat fries. This is not something that usually happen, and besides, if it does, there's always a huge salt shaker on the counter.

Oh I know, that's why I said really good Belgian fries are fantastic. Good fries are a rare find though, and the merely average ones are invariably super sad. As an arrogant, loud-mouthed Dutch oppressor I'm not allowed to say this in real life, but average Dutch fries are miles better than average Belgian ones.

Yes there is always salt available (I've never gotten pre-salted in Leuven, maybe it's regional), but the thing is that if you try to salt them after they cool the salt doesn't stick so you just get half bland, half overly salted. In what silly universe is "salt makes potatoes less flavourful" considered a reasonable thing to say anyway? :colbert:

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

PiratePing posted:

Good fries are a rare find though

This might help:

http://www.fritmap.com/en/ranking-best-belgium-fry-shops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Tired of paying out your rear end in a top hat for fancy deli meats? Why not make them yourself in a plastic tub in your basement?

And part 2: Update after washing with vinegar

twoday has a new favorite as of 11:26 on Aug 30, 2016