Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

SynthOrange posted:

Federal Opposition Leader Bill Shorten has been accused of intolerance and "brutal" language towards people opposed to same-sex marriage, in a confrontation with a rector outside a church service this morning.
Good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I feel like it's been ages since anyone on the left or even vaguely progressive used language like 'tolerance.' Why do conservatives still think it's an incredibly savvy move to try and show people are intolerant of bigotry?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

SynthOrange posted:

Federal Opposition Leader Bill Shorten has been accused of intolerance and "brutal" language towards people opposed to same-sex marriage, in a confrontation with a rector outside a church service this morning.

lol my feelings!

I'm the majority and I am oppressed

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Please stop oppressing me with your awful notions of equality

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Indeed. I didn't think of it like that til your comment, but tolerance with the connotation that what you're being tolerant of is bad (tolerant of migrants) has moved on in favour of more positive terms like inclusiveness.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Solemn Sloth posted:

the Bernardi week

It's the Downer months all over again
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxAEll95Sgw

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

SynthOrange posted:

Excellent

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
“You’ve got people out there, of Muslim background, they’re actually having four wives, numerous children, they’re getting into housing commission houses, we’re actually paying for that, and that is not right.”

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
I assume that Hanson or something?
Isn't public housing a state issue?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

hooman posted:

“You’ve got people out there, of Muslim background, they’re actually having four wives, numerous children, they’re getting into housing commission houses, we’re actually paying for that, and that is not right.”

when u can't distinguish crusader kings 2 from reality :saddowns:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Up to 20 senators are lining up to back a push to remove the words “insult” and “offend” from the Racial Discrimination Act, including every Liberal and National backbencher in the upper house, bar one.

The Liberal senator Cory Bernardi has been courting support for a private member’s bill he intends to bring to the Senate this week and Coalition sources say his efforts have yielded significant backbench support, with only the new Victorian Liberal senator Jane Hume declining to sign up.

The backbenchers are revolting! And so are the front benchers!

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-30/victoria-to-ban-csg-fracking-and-unconventional-gas-exploration/7796944

quote:

The Victorian Government is introducing legislation to permanently ban exploration and development of unconventional gas in the state, including coal seam gas and fracking.

The legislation — the first of its kind in Australia — will be introduced into State Parliament later this year.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Operation Spicer gets spicier!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-30/independent-commission-against-corruption-icac-spicer-report/7796928

quote:

ICAC: NSW Liberal figures and businessmen tried to evade political funding laws, report finds Updated 31 minutes ago

The ICAC has recommended criminal charges for former NSW Ministers Chris Hartcher and Joe Tripodi.

The New South Wales Director of Public Prosecutions should consider charges against former Labor minister Joe Tripodi and former Liberal minister Chris Hartcher, the state's corruption watchdog says. A number of prominent businessmen and MPs in NSW tried to evade election funding laws, the Independent Commission Against Corruption (ICAC) found. The ICAC has handed down its long-anticipated findings from Operation Spicer, an investigation into banned donations from developers to NSW Liberal Party figures and campaigns.

It has found that:

Mr Tripodi engaged in serious corrupt conduct by "misusing his position as a member of Parliament to improperly provide an advantage to [developer] Buildev", and should be prosecuted for misconduct in public office;
the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) should consider charges against former NSW energy minister Mr Hartcher for an offence of larceny; and
the DPP should also consider charges against former Charlestown Liberal MP Andrew Cornwell and his wife, Samantha Brookes, for giving false or misleading evidence.
NSW election funds channelled to Liberals: report

The report found that the Free Enterprise Foundation was used to channel donations to the NSW Liberal Party for its 2011 state election campaign. It also found undisclosed political donations were channelled through a business called Eight By Five to benefit the Liberal Party's 2011 state election campaign on the state's Central Coast. Ten Liberal MPs left the parliamentary party after being named in the inquiry, which primarily investigated allegations about the use of slush funds to disguise the donations. The ICAC named a string of people who it found acted with the intention of evading election funding laws, which govern public disclosures and bans on donations from developers.

Along with Mr Hartcher and Mr Cornwell, they include:

:siren: former Liberal police minister Michael Gallacher; :siren: "Just a few bad apples"
former Liberal MP for The Entrance Chris Spence;
former Liberal MP for Newcastle Tim Owen;
former Liberal MP for Swansea Garry Edwards;
former Liberal Londonderry MP Bart Bassett;
former Liberal Port Stephens MP Craig Baumann;
former Liberal Wyong MP Darren Webber;
former Newcastle lord mayor Jeff McCloy; and
solicitor Nick Di Girolamo.
The report also recommended the DPP consider charging property developer Timothy Gunasinghe, Eight By Five proprietor Timothy Koelma and PW Saddington and Sons director William Saddington with giving false or misleading evidence.
The stench of corruption hangs over the ALP in NSW! Wait hang on they're almost all liberals. Oh wait unfair ICAC investigation smearing innocent fraudsters. I'm sincerely disappointed that A. Sidodinis is not on that list. How did the entirety of the LNP federal membership miss out on being named? Something, something, I don't recall.

Meanwhile slightly closer to home than the South China Sea

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/australia-and-east-timor-begin-conciliation-talks-over/7797000

quote:

Australia and East Timor begin conciliation talks over disputed maritime boundaries Tuesday 30 August 2016 6:16AM (view full episode)

Australia and East Timor have begun conciliation talks in The Hague to end a long running dispute over maritime boundaries in the Timor Sea. East Timor wants to draw a line under the sea midway between the two countries, which would give it access to billions of dollars worth of oil and gas reserves. Australia, however, has used the opening day of the commission to argue that East Timor doesn't have jurisdiction to set the border, and that it should stick to the existing treaties. Steve Bracks, Special Advisor to the Prime Minister of the Democratic Republic of East Timor, joins Fran Kelly on RN Breakfast.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

Up to 20 senators are lining up to back a push to remove the words “insult” and “offend” from the Racial Discrimination Act, including every Liberal and National backbencher in the upper house, bar one.

The Liberal senator Cory Bernardi has been courting support for a private member’s bill he intends to bring to the Senate this week and Coalition sources say his efforts have yielded significant backbench support, with only the new Victorian Liberal senator Jane Hume declining to sign up.

The backbenchers are revolting! And so are the front benchers!

And yet we can't change a few words in the Marriage Act, and private members bills fail. Funny about that, what's the word I'm looking for? It's not irony...

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I feel like it's been ages since anyone on the left or even vaguely progressive used language like 'tolerance.' Why do conservatives still think it's an incredibly savvy move to try and show people are intolerant of bigotry?

Now this is actually ironic in the Decoding Authoritarians: A Schizophrenic explains crazy people thread they are tying themselves up in knots to demand economic intolerance of racists. I put it down to youthful black/white (not a pun) thinking myself. Intolerance of bigotry is not hypocritical, but the use of bigotry as a political weapon certainly is.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

SynthOrange posted:

lol my feelings!

Was it something like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zedjMpCI9bE

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

ewe2 posted:

And yet we can't change a few words in the Marriage Act, and private members bills fail. Funny about that, what's the word I'm looking for? It's not irony...

Gotta loving love that we live in a country where there's more political push to repeal an amendment that a total of one person has ever been found guilty of than passing something that has widespread support that affects an unmeasurable yet considerable proportion of the population.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Cleretic posted:

Gotta loving love that we live in a country where there's more political push to repeal an amendment that a total of one person has ever been found guilty of than passing something that has widespread support that affects an unmeasurable yet considerable proportion of the population.

Bolt wasn't the first person whose actions were found to be unlawful under 18C.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I just checked out ghostwhovotes:

GhostWhoVotes ‏@GhostWhoVotes

#ReachTEL Poll NSW Preferred Premier: Baird LIB 48.7 Foley ALP 51.3 #nswpol #auspol

#ReachTEL Poll NSW State 2 Party Preferred: L/NP 50 (-4.3 since election) ALP 50 (+4.3) #nswpol #auspol

:psyboom:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Anidav posted:

#ReachTEL Poll NSW Preferred Premier: Baird LIB 48.7 Foley ALP 51.3 #nswpol #auspol

#ReachTEL Poll NSW State 2 Party Preferred: L/NP 50 (-4.3 since election) ALP 50 (+4.3) #nswpol #auspol

Hahahahahahahaha

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Premier Luke "greyhound" Foley

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

Former emergency services minister Jane Garrett is being pressured by her Labor colleagues to resign from parliament after being accused of leaking sensitive documents to destabilise premier Daniel Andrews.

Treasurer Tim Pallas is understood to have addressed an emotional Labor caucus meeting on Tuesday morning declaring he would "not name names" but the person responsible for leaking sensitive documents should "go".
According to one account, Bentleigh MP Nick Staikos then said he would "not be as kind" as Mr Pallas, naming Jane Garrett as the source of the leak and reiterating the demand that she resign.

In a bitter reprisal, a number of MPs, some of whom were in tears, also spoke against Ms Garrett, whose seat of Brunswick is under threat from the Greens, vowing not to support her in any preselection contest or vote.

Alan Griffin has warned that Labor is in danger of self-destructing.

Senior Labor sources claim to have obtained evidence that Ms Garrett is the source of the leak.

In a curious twist, one of Ms Garrett's electoral officers appears to have inadvertently sent a text message to a Labor insider with the same name as a News Corp journalist. It is understood it is not the first time the text had been mistakenly sent.

The text message, sent yesterday, has been circulated widely among caucus.

Seen by Fairfax Media, it reads, in part, "Mate ... Janes (sic) asked to call you to drop something off".

Aaaargh Vic Labaaaaah :argh:

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Anidav posted:

Roll on 2019!

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

In this case. Both options are Campbell Newman.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
I welcome this new age of every election being 50/50

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Anidav posted:

In this case. Both options are Campbell Newman.

you can't vote for both parties

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Solemn Sloth posted:

you can't vote for both parties

Matttte

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Dandrews can do no wrong.

The legislation also calls for an extension on the current ban on conventional land based gas mining til 2020.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

SynthOrange posted:

lol my feelings!

THE Anglican rector who confronted Bill Shorten in a Canberra churchyard today has previously warned same-sex marriage would lead to polygamy.

Ian Powell, of suburban Canberra’s St Matthew’s, has also said some gay people might be “wired” for paedophilia.

His comments were made in a July 2015 speech billed as “Same sex marriage and Jesus of Nazareth – are they friends or foes?” It was recorded by the City Bible Forum.

“How can plural marriage be resisted if same-sex marriage comes in?” Mr Powell said in the address.

“Frankly, it cannot be resisted and when people say it’s not even going to come to the table they’re just … they’re either ignorant or fibbing because we know from all around the world it is.

“Read your New York Times.”

In the same speech, he covered the suggestion same-sex marriage might be used to justify the actions of someone “in love with children”.

Mr Powell argued some would claim this was acceptable and vilify those who object.

“I’m not saying homosexuality is the same thing as paedophilia at all but what I am saying is we do know that there are certain … we say no that you may feel love, you may be wired that way but our society for whatever reason says no.”

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

The best sta...

SynthOrange posted:

Aaaargh Vic Labaaaaah :argh:

Oh god drat it people :(

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
The best part of the 18C debatevis everyone totally ignores 18D which negates much of 18C

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Hmmm yes, what other possible arguments against paedophilia are there than that it's icky?

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Hmmm yes, what other possible arguments against paedophilia are there than that it's icky?

You're talking about a priest here so they might have trouble figuring out the harmful side-effects of paedophilia.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
https://twitter.com/annajhenderson/status/770497161888948224

It would be great if the first act of this parliament was a huge dump on the coalition

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Starshark posted:

You're talking about a priest here so they might have trouble figuring out the harmful side-effects of paedophilia.

Or a morality that understands reasonable consent is a real and important thing.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

is a majority needed to suspend standing orders?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Must mean libs crossing the floor?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

https://twitter.com/billshortenmp/status/770502497802739712

Take that Greens :smuggo:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Go Bill go!????

?????

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

:unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Anidav posted:

Must mean libs crossing the floor?

The LNP doesn't provide a free vote on procedural matters.

• Locked thread