Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

like, i'm pretty sure that people aren't hating on millennials because they aren't good enough with technology

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

The Management posted:

imagine if this idiot had to manually set dip switches, configure IRQs, and edit config.sys.

this kind of whining is why people make fun of millennials, btw. not because they're dumber or lazier, it's that they put up with this bitch instead of mocking him mercilessly.

he also goes on and on about how expensive it would be to have the same components built out by falcon or cyberpower or a local shop, but nooo, this randian ubermench must be too smart to fall for the lies and expertise of others.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
to be fair, nine screws (PLUS the standoffs, mind you) would tear the literal skin from his pillowy hands.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

duTrieux. posted:

like, i'm pretty sure that people aren't hating on millennials because they aren't good enough with technology

Only registered members can see post attachments!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

The Management posted:

imagine if this idiot had to manually set dip switches, configure IRQs, and edit config.sys.

this kind of whining is why people make fun of millennials, btw. not because they're dumber or lazier, it's that they put up with this bitch instead of mocking him mercilessly.

that guy is generation x

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
or maybe he's being hyperbolic to drum up controversy for his lovely article about nothing. just a thought.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

how is that phone attached to his shoulder

and why does he have two sets of headphones

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
and why does he look so angry

why

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

it's a real pain carrying all that stuff

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

It's Bob Sirott. Famous newsman extraordinaire.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

why

"okay, for these next photos i want to look serious. confident, bold... maybe a little sexy?"

"like this?"

"...sure, whatever."

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

fishmech posted:

that guy is generation x

we'll make him an honorary millenial

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

That's Wash from Firefly. Totally. Or maybe Thomas Dolby with curley hair idk.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

this is me in an alternate universe where I could afford any of that stuff.

Robot Pride
Aug 2, 2010

by exmarx

graph posted:

super

super

super sharp shooter

TOOT

DOODLE OODLE OODLE DOOT DOOT

it's hosed up that i can actually hear the recorder sound when i am reading those "notes"

Linux Pirate posted:

i'll have to look into that

dude, they are currency in detention/prison because they are awesome. you will have the best sleep and will have 10 hour amazing technocolor dreamcoat dreams that you will love every goddamn night

the downside is that you will have an unquenchable appetite and people with even somewhat tenuous self discipline instantly balloon up in weight

e: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=q%20ball
called q balls because the generic of seroquel is Quetiapine (the pro-est tip)

Robot Pride fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Aug 30, 2016

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

how is that phone attached to his shoulder

and why does he have two sets of headphones

they used to make hooks for having a phone stay on your shoulder when you had to do something, they weren't uncommon in customer support
thaaat's not how they went on though???

i kinda miss dip switches, they're better than jumpers by a longshot, + some of that configuration could still be useful

Robot Pride
Aug 2, 2010

by exmarx

duTrieux. posted:

they're terrible...they are tech consumers, not producers

fishmech posted:

that guy is generation x

the dude was born in 1986...he is millennial as gently caress. gen x cuts off at 1980

he is truly a millennial shithead. good luck seeing if these guy has the nuts to teach himself x86 assembly instead of being a drooling bitch pussy

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

Sagebrush posted:

eh, i know a lot of people who have little to no technical skill and an inability to follow directions but like playing video games. they aren't going to do well building their own pc.

if you liked to play with lego as a kid though you can handle it.

e: lol at a few things tho

nine! nine screws! what am i, tony stark??

five hours!! good lord, i bet it didn't even take stradivarius five hours to make his violins! and did i mention the nine screws??

no comment

i dislike the word retard but holy poo poo what a loving retard

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

here's a hot take

millennials as a group are not "good with technology" any more than any other demographic. they just spend way more time on instagram and facebook, and the olds perceive anything on a computer as everything to do with computers, so therefore braden who's always on that computer of his must be some kind of computer genius and let's sign him up for computer science!!!!

nerds are nerds and scrubs are scrubs, and building a pc is still well in the nerd range

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

like, ffs, i got students who are even more millennial than i am who don't understand the difference between disk formats and can't understand why their mac hard drive doesn't work on their friend's windows computer. who i am helping out and they load up a browser and it's full of toolbar garbage. ones who accidentally download a file to [anywhere not the downloads folder] and then are incapable of locating it on the file system.

being a computer toucher is an acquired skill

Robot Pride
Aug 2, 2010

by exmarx

Sagebrush posted:

here's a hot take

millennials as a group are not "good with technology" any more than any other demographic. they just spend way more time on instagram and facebook, and the olds perceive anything on a computer as everything to do with computers, so therefore braden who's always on that computer of his must be some kind of computer genius and let's sign him up for computer science!!!!

nerds are nerds and scrubs are scrubs, and building a pc is still well in the nerd range

this 100%

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

here's a hot take

lol building a computer is like the equivalent of knowing how to change a tire, it's piss easy now and as long as you can fit square peg to round hole and aren't literally mentally inept you should be able to manage just fine

how about they go back and try to build one using an AT power supply and accidentally blow their board because they put the plugs in backwards because there was no such thing as keying back then

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

like holy gently caress i've been building machines for myself and my friends since i was 12 and i was born in 1988

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Robot Pride posted:

they're terrible...they are tech consumers, not producers

the dude was born in 1986...he is millennial as gently caress. gen x cuts off at 1980

he is truly a millennial shithead. good luck seeing if these guy has the nuts to teach himself x86 assembly instead of being a drooling bitch pussy

hi, are you afraid of the grim spectre of death

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

i remember my first personal computer ran windows ME and i got into the habit of reformatting it every few months because it would become an unstable pos

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Apocadall posted:

lol building a computer is like the equivalent of knowing how to change a tire, it's piss easy now and as long as you can fit square peg to round hole and aren't literally mentally inept you should be able to manage just fine

how about they go back and try to build one using an AT power supply and accidentally blow their board because they put the plugs in backwards because there was no such thing as keying back then

and how many millennials, do you think, if you took their cell phones away, would know how to change a tire?

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

and how many millennials, do you think, if you took their cell phones away, would know how to change a tire?

please replace 'millennials' with literally any broad demographic group and see what happens!

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

it's 6 hex nuts, but i guess i did work in my dads autobody shop growing up so i do know a bit more about cars than the average computer toucher

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

i just use triple a when the car doesn't want to go

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

duTrieux. posted:

please replace 'millennials' with literally any broad demographic group and see what happens!

well yeah, that was my original point. there are some kinds of knowledge that seem really obvious to certain subcultures but are totally foreign to most of society. i bet at least a third of the people on the road couldn't point out their car's oil dipstick if it wasn't painted yellow

Robot Pride
Aug 2, 2010

by exmarx

duTrieux. posted:

hi, are you afraid of the grim spectre of death

i have a tattoo that says "born to die" as well as a "gently caress the world"...i'm ready whenever it's time

try that mortal fear silliness elsewhere

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Robot Pride posted:

i have a tattoo that says "born to die" as well as a "gently caress the world"...i'm ready whenever it's time

try that mortal fear silliness elsewhere

i love the idea of immortality because i want the pains of watching everyone i cared for die and watching as everything around me slowly fades away into blackness, i feel it's well deserved

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

i also grew up in rural maine where time seems to stand still and you end up having to know how to fix everything because lol good luck getting anyone out there

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i don't wanna be immortal but i do want to turn myself into a robot cyborg

wanna hack my own robot limbs / organs

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

also maine is loving poor and our major industries are either dead or dying

i had to fix the computer interface for the boiler control system at a biofuel plant over the summer that isn't being used anymore because the state is hosed and needs new industries before it just slips away into nothing more than a place for rich fucks to own vacation homes

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Apocadall posted:

i love the idea of immortality because i want the pains of watching everyone i cared for die and watching as everything around me slowly fades away into blackness, i feel it's well deserved

i like the idea of immortality b/c your chances of being immobilized forever someplace jump to 100%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

apparently there is a new thing in maine where they'll pay your student loans at $4500 a year if you stay working in maine after getting a stem degree

• Locked thread