Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Sagebrush posted:

oh and we got this one too

and i just double checked to be sure

his mom can upgrade the ram just as much as you can, by selecting the maximum at purchase time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Apocadall posted:

also maine is loving poor and our major industries are either dead or dying

i had to fix the computer interface for the boiler control system at a biofuel plant over the summer that isn't being used anymore because the state is hosed and needs new industries before it just slips away into nothing more than a place for rich fucks to own vacation homes

when my parents sold their brownstone in park slope they were considering gettin places in nola and maine and switching off seasonally

after lookin around maine they were like lol nope and just stay full time down there

Robot Pride
Aug 2, 2010

by exmarx

Apocadall posted:

i also grew up in rural maine where time seems to stand still and you end up having to know how to fix everything because lol good luck getting anyone out there

planned obsolescence is actually a real reason millennials suck so many nutbags (the ones allergic to nuts just suck on the peen shaft)

most have never repaired something that mattered because they really don't have the opportunity thanks to lack of schematics, access, cheapness to replace with new, etc

"hey, look, i can update my telephone machine by typing in my pin"

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

my hometown is 150 people total, and declining as the olds die off, i might be the only computer literate person in town but i try my best to help the others get up to speed, get old laptops fixed up to give to families that can't afford them and stuff

i also only charge $20 an hour because i realize how poor the area is and i still make the most out of many people there

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Apocadall posted:

apparently there is a new thing in maine where they'll pay your student loans at $4500 a year if you stay working in maine after getting a stem degree

does it come with a confusingly androgynous bush pilot?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Robot Pride posted:

planned obsolescence is actually a real reason millennials suck so many nutbags (the ones allergic to nuts just suck on the peen shaft)

most have never repaired something that mattered because they really don't have the opportunity thanks to lack of schematics, access, cheapness to replace with new, etc

i'm a god damned millennial and i repair and upgrade god damned everything i own

don't gimme that "not possible to fix things any more" weak-rear end defeatist bullshit

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

C.H.O.M.E posted:

vga glyphs are stored in a lookup table so if that is broken i would expect it to replace the letters with consistently the wrong letter, like a cipher that substitutes o for g, but it doesn't look like it is doing that, it sometimes displays the correct o then sometimes replaces o with g. however it also displays a full word incorrectly twice in the same way (the word normally) so something repeatable is happening, maybe there is a hysteresis involved so that it fucks up a letter depending on what the last letter was, or a state machine that is out of wack. or the source text could just be hosed up but then i don't know how you'd end up repeating the same errors like that.

I had that and it was faulty soldering on the graphics chipset. some of the letters would flash back and forth randomly too

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

i'm a god damned millennial and i repair and upgrade god damned everything i own

don't gimme that "not possible to fix things any more" weak-rear end defeatist bullshit

same, i'm totally in favor of unions and believe they're important to the health of the middle class but at the same time gently caress the unions because i'm going to fix my own poo poo

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Sagebrush posted:

like, ffs, i got students who are even more millennial than i am who don't understand the difference between disk formats and can't understand why their mac hard drive doesn't work on their friend's windows computer. who i am helping out and they load up a browser and it's full of toolbar garbage. ones who accidentally download a file to [anywhere not the downloads folder] and then are incapable of locating it on the file system.

being a computer toucher is an acquired skill

yes, but if you choose to build a SIKK GAMING PC a little learning is part of the fun and whining/humblebragging ex post facto is just really, really, REALLY stupid

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Apocadall posted:

also maine is loving poor and our major industries are either dead or dying

i had to fix the computer interface for the boiler control system at a biofuel plant over the summer that isn't being used anymore because the state is hosed and needs new industries before it just slips away into nothing more than a place for rich fucks to own vacation homes

too late

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Robot Pride posted:

i have a tattoo that says "born to die" as well as a "gently caress the world"...i'm ready whenever it's time

try that mortal fear silliness elsewhere

a t-t-t-tattoo? golly gee willikers, i'm sure sorry i sassed you!

Robot Pride
Aug 2, 2010

by exmarx

Sagebrush posted:

it's possible but not like it was. most stuff is just not possible and the things you can repair are only minor issues. BACK IN MY DAY we used to get schematics included in the owner's manual of electronics you bought and there were TV/VCR repair shops everywhere and everyone remembers those correspondence course ads on the TV looky box that advertised TV/VCR repair classes or radio repair but LOL if you can find a single repair shop.

just look at how many new security screws have been made in the past 10 years. i had to buy a $100 screwdriver kit just to get into all this bullshit i own

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Robot Pride posted:

just look at how many new security screws have been made in the past 10 years. i had to buy a $100 screwdriver kit just to get into all this bullshit i own

stop buying apple stuff.

Robot Pride
Aug 2, 2010

by exmarx

Apocadall posted:

my hometown is 150 people total, and declining as the olds die off, i might be the only computer literate person in town but i try my best to help the others get up to speed, get old laptops fixed up to give to families that can't afford them and stuff

i also only charge $20 an hour because i realize how poor the area is and i still make the most out of many people there

all i can picture in my head from this description is the TV show "northern exposure" but the computer toucher version

Robot Pride
Aug 2, 2010

by exmarx

Sagebrush posted:

stop buying apple stuff.

you are probably adept at what you do but the problem is that you are the exception and not the rule for your cohort

http://i.imgur.com/G16mpWN.gifv

lol if you
Jun 29, 2004

I am going to remove your penis, in thin slices, like salami, just for starters.

The Management posted:

does it come with a confusingly androgynous bush pilot?

:perfect:

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

Apocadall posted:

apparently there is a new thing in maine where they'll pay your student loans at $4500 a year if you stay working in maine after getting a stem degree

the key thing there is 'working', what work is there in maine for someone with a stem degree
or without, for that matter.

also, on cars with decorative covers over the lug nuts, an alarming number of people will try wrenching on the decorative bits
and an even more alarming number will put the nuts on backwards if they're the sort that are open both ends, lmao
what's really annoying though is cars where you have bolts instead of nuts, it's a pain in the rear end to locate the wheel back on the hub if there's no locating pegs

also i'm pretty sure unions have nothing to do with planned obsolescence lol

anyway find something better to do than complain about this generation and that generation, it's dull and pointless

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
there are stem jobs in southern maine but theres also boston 2 hours south

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Robot Pride posted:

you are probably adept at what you do but the problem is that you are the exception and not the rule for your cohort

i recommend that people in my cohort Get On My Level

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxcBqDaYRHU

thanks microsoft

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Apocadall posted:

same, i'm totally in favor of unions and believe they're important to the health of the middle class but at the same time gently caress the unions because i'm going to fix my own poo poo

wait, how did unions get into this?

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

epipen posted:

the key thing there is 'working', what work is there in maine for someone with a stem degree
or without, for that matter.

also, on cars with decorative covers over the lug nuts, an alarming number of people will try wrenching on the decorative bits
and an even more alarming number will put the nuts on backwards if they're the sort that are open both ends, lmao
what's really annoying though is cars where you have bolts instead of nuts, it's a pain in the rear end to locate the wheel back on the hub if there's no locating pegs

also i'm pretty sure unions have nothing to do with planned obsolescence lol

anyway find something better to do than complain about this generation and that generation, it's dull and pointless

girlfriend is marine bio major and works in research on the lobster industry and computer engineering still has a demand in a southern maine if you want to do chip design for TI or what used to be Fairchild

currently though i'm stuck doing linux systems administration and working remote for a company in wisconsin

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

wait, how did unions get into this?

no idea, i'm quite drunk at this point

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
i found the yospos cookbook

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Robot Pride
Aug 2, 2010

by exmarx

Trabant posted:

i found the yospos cookbook

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hZVWuMEbFI

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Apocadall posted:

it should say everything that they have to pay you $4,500 a year to stay in maine after getting a degree

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

archive.org has scans of the first edition of that https://archive.org/details/mechanicalengine03kent

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Apocadall posted:

i love the idea of immortality because i want the pains of watching everyone i cared for die and watching as everything around me slowly fades away into blackness, i feel it's well deserved

unless you die at 40, how is this different from regular mortality

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Linux Pirate posted:

i have bipolar II disorder. i probably shouldn't admit that here because i know it's going to come back and bite me in the rear end

Moist von Lipwig posted:

me too, whatever lets be pals

epipen posted:

honestly i always say this, but you'd think yospos (and SA in general) would be more accepting of this sort of stuff?

welcome to yospos, the rich goon mental illness support forum

(i am not exempt from the charge)

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Robot Pride posted:

This is wrong as hell.
mass planned obsolescence was in vogue 50s into the 80s at latest.

Pretty none of that actually happens today. Boo hoo you can't fix your TV? Well it probably lasted a long time with no repair needed. 1960s TV set? In theory still works today, as long as you had 50 years of access to ever dwindling parts and weeks of time for all the necessary repair.

Or look how the average car on the road is 12 years old. In the 60s it'd be more like 4 or 5 because those poo poo buckets needed hella repair and maintenance constantly. And most people would just get a new one

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

welcome to yospos, the rich goon mental illness support forum

(i am not exempt from the charge)

i was going to ask where the rich bit came from but remembered a good half of you are paid to touch computers

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

epipen posted:

i was going to ask where the rich bit came from but remembered a good half of you are paid to touch computers

yeah non-rich mental health cases are chased out of here at a furious pace, because we are all such dignified individuals, our garden-variety anxiety and depression and dysmorphia can't be viewed through the same lens as the toiling classes

:colbert:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Robot Pride posted:

http://i.imgur.com/G16mpWN.gifv

Uh sorry moron but the vast majority of people do not use apple lnbo

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the artist: "well, i don't know what exactly a flying machine will look like, but i expect something like a boat, and i know that it will need a LOT of fans"

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
To reiterate though, appliances used to require repair so frequent that TV places came to your home like plumbers and even medium size cities would have dozens of TV repairmen to keep up with constant demand.

And your other devices wouldn't fare much better, fridges, radios, washing machine, dishwasher etc - they all used to have major problems constantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed
on that vice motherboard thing. . . all i gotta say is I have a user making "HIGH END SCIENTIFIC MACHINES" with those loving gamer motherboards (his are by gigabyte)

what the gently caress is with the right angle sata ports?

on technology kids, etc. . . I'm I guess a millenial (1983 wut!) and I had a friends 7 year old over here yesterday, he was bouncy, hyperactive as gently caress, his mom was over here chilling with a bunch of us listening to records and grilling. . . he asked me what the music was coming from, cause he's fuckin 7 and literally had never seen music being played from something not a phone.

I put the kid in front of the turntable and was like "look at it, tell me how you think it works?" "well i think there is music on the disc, and that thing picks up the music signals" "yep, you wanna try putting one on?" "where are there"

took the kid inside, he was like "how do you know what to listen to?" "oh you pull things out and look at them, for now just pull them out like this, if you think it looks cool, i'll let you put it on"

He pulled out a thin lizzy album, asked me where I got all my albums "well kiddo, my momma is a lot older than your momma, and while I've bought a lot of these, she had a lot she didn't have a thing to play them on anymore"

Then I put him in front of the turntable, and outside of initially putting the needle in the center of the record he quickly went "OH!" and moved it to the outside, then rocked out and danced his little 7 year old rear end off and had the time of his life.

• Locked thread