Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jul 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

In the league as Weaselior.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
In as Senior Belvedere

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Draft is at 11 pacific 10 central 9 right now, correct?

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog
What? this is not how clocks work.

8pm PST/11PM EST this is all I can tell you.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
I think I did that backwards I dunno

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

evilweasel posted:

In the league as Weaselior.

Not "Weaselsior"?

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Oh I thought it was next Monday

welp

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

Elotana posted:

Oh I thought it was next Monday

welp

Start a relegation league

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Kirk cousins? Adrian Peterson? you guys rigged this against me but I'll show you!!!

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

mastershakeman posted:

Kirk cousins? Adrian Peterson? you guys rigged this against me but I'll show you!!!

Obligatory

https://vine.co/v/eYBbTpLquPd

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I wanted AP

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

blarzgh posted:

I wanted AP

well now I'm happy since Bridgewater just died

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

mastershakeman posted:

Bridgewater looks like one of those aliens from the movie with the sexy alien chick.

Edit:Species

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

mastershakeman posted:

That just means they'll be running every play instead of every other play.

Also RIP this viking's season.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
One of my new patent applications has literal manga panels in the drawings.

I looked up the inventor disclosures for the original Japanese application and yep they were scanned from a manga about driving lmao.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Speaking of patents...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/wp/2016/08/31/patent-office-workers-cost-taxpayers-millions-by-playing-hooky-watchdog-finds/

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

lol we don't actually have any duty to badge in or log on or anything

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
like if I worked on campus still I could just show up and smoke cigarettes on the quad all day and count it as a full day worked

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

You guys definitely have too much time to perform a search too.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Whats wrong with me that I read the first couple of paragraphs of that report, and thought, "I'm sure most of those 300,000 hours are explained away, and the rest... well, who cares?"

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

blarzgh posted:

Whats wrong with me that I read the first couple of paragraphs of that report, and thought, "I'm sure most of those 300,000 hours are explained away, and the rest... well, who cares?"

i read it, found that all of the top performers were responsible for the "unexplained hours", and determined that there was not really a problem here

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Court closed due to hurricane today so I got the day off! (Still went to the office to do work)

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

evilweasel posted:

i read it, found that all of the top performers were responsible for the "unexplained hours", and determined that there was not really a problem here

Argh, our top performers are so good they do the work we assign them for a year in just 6 months! We could pay them more to do more work or demand they sit at their desks doing nothing.

It's the children who are wrong.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Argh, our top performers are so good they do the work we assign them for a year in just 6 months! We could pay them more to do more work or demand they sit at their desks doing nothing.

It's the children who are wrong.

they actually can't pay more. top performers are hitting the 5 U.S.C. § 5547(a) cap.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
it's actually a nice scam because thanks to step increases, it actually means you have to do less work to hit the cap the longer you work.

but yeah, between hitting the max biweekly takehome plus like $15k in available bonuses you're pretty close to getting paid as much as it's possible to get paid as a GS employee.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Union memo:

quote:

As we all know, we have faced trying times lately. Criticisms and attacks on our work product and work ethics come from all sides. Now, seemingly, even our integrity is being called into question by the latest IG report.

The methodology of the report is flawed and unreviewable, at least by POPA. While the report relies on electronic “data” to calculate “unsupported work hours”, none of the data is provided with the report and the report itself acknowledges that the electronic data is not reliable “for various idiosyncratic reasons”. Where the data was found inconsistent with or unexplainable by the conclusions of the report, the apparent methodology was to throw that data out and exclude it from the study. As a further example of the flawed nature of the report, a review of the timecodes from which “data” was gathered are not time codes used by most patent examiners.

The number of unsupported conclusions in the report is astounding. Time after time the report reaches conclusions such as “…this analysis likely understates the volume of unsupported hours” without consideration that margins of error go both ways and without providing any reasoning for the conclusion.

Voluntary overtime, i.e. the unpaid time many examiners work to reach production goals or bonus levels, is conveniently excluded. So the report draws no conclusions regarding the vast number of extra unclaimed hours worked by examiners. Leaving out extra hours worked also means that there is no way to determine if the alleged 2% “unsupported work hours” comprises little more than the misplacement of hours on our ponderous WebTA time reporting document.

Regarding the alleged 2% lack of “unsupported work hours”, a 2% error rate would be considered outstanding in any other context. No test we know of considers a 98% success rate as less than stellar.

But most disturbing is the final conclusion regarding our time expectancies. The investigators, who have little knowledge of the complexities of patent examining, conclude that many of us have “excess time”. To the contrary, patent examining becomes more complex every day. The volume of material that needs to be searched for prior art continues to grow exponentially thanks to the internet, the alleged “efficiency” that is claimed to have made the job so much easier and faster to perform. Office actions are required to be significantly more detailed than when our productions goals were established and the Agency is emphasizing the inclusion of more detail and explanation as part of recent quality initiative efforts.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
i'll be in alexandria in a few weeks and ill be sure to give those unethical examiners a piece of my mind!!!

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
everyone knows to do a prior art search for a patent you just type in a phrase in Google and call it a day

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
When a doctor gives you a medical narrative for a PI client with 30k per year expected future medical. :boom:

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Roger_Mudd posted:

When a doctor gives you a medical narrative for a PI client with 30k per year expected future medical. :boom:

Woop! For how many years? Forever? What are lost wages like? How big's the policy?

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

CaptainScraps posted:

Woop! For how many years? Forever? What are lost wages like? How big's the policy?

For-ev-er. No lost wages (retired). Commercial 2 mill policy.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

they actually can't pay more. top performers are hitting the 5 U.S.C. § 5547(a) cap.

My point was since the examiner's cannot get paid more, why not let them gently caress off.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Roger_Mudd posted:

helllooooo liability limit settlement.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Roger_Mudd posted:

Pay off all that debt and retire, girl.

We just sent out a policy demand on 7 policies totalling 15m for one accident. We'll be lucky to get 2

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Who's in San Diego looking for a new client? https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/4zmtq8/ca_are_there_any_legal_implications_associated/

He won't hire women as employees though, so watch out!

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

My point was since the examiner's cannot get paid more, why not let them gently caress off.

protestant work ethic. they should happily work for free and be glad to have a job, after all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
So quick question for your personal injury types - friend's car got totaled last night. Other driver at fault (and admitted it in police report). Open and shut for the most part except she's still dealing with a lawsuit from a wreck three years ago.

What's going to be the order of events here? Does the old have to close out before the new can start up? How much of a pain is it going to be to switch to a better attorney? I haven't dealt with any of this on a practical scale so I really have no idea. I'm pretty sure previous lawsuit is in settlement negotiations right now. My gut feeling is that one will be basically settled immediately and the new one will proceed because there's no way to claim any further medical on the old one without muddying the waters quite a bit because the new one certainly exacerbated existing problems.