Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!
Just give Medic a passive aura that gets tweaked via the skills you take. Done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

LuciferMorningstar posted:

Net gains to Quality of life, for the Medic's convenience as much as their teammates?

That's a wonderful idea. It would make me want to actually play Medic without having to worry about being alternately screamed at for not focusing on 24/7 darting enough Vs too focused on darting to solo fleshpounds with my Medic.

I hate playing traditional support classes just because of that sort of thing, along with generally enjoying personal efficency over "We gave you attack capabilities, but they had to be worse because you're the support bitch"

Though I do like playing violent wingman style, assistance by making sure people don't have to worry about gorefasts and sirens coming up behind them while they try to solo Fleshpounds for us. Which is why I'm so sad about their continued padding out trash/mid tier clear in general, blocks being the latest :sigh:

EDIT: ...Does Gorefast blocking not work on flamethrowers? I mean, it probably does. But I want to take a wild stab at optimism here.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Aug 30, 2016

ClonedPickle
Apr 23, 2010

Section Z posted:

EDIT: ...Does Gorefast blocking not work on flamethrowers? I mean, it probably does. But I want to take a wild stab at optimism here.

Spreadsheet says they have a 0.8x modifier to melee attacks and gun attacks while blocking. I don't know if that covers Firebug weapons, but gun attacks sounds like Ballistic stuff, so Firebugs might not give a single poo poo about blocking!

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I just got Hans in 7 out of 7 games today, and he's still very unfun

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

You were wrong then, and you're still wrong now:

Welp you sure showed me with your 4 images, I especially like the one where you're dead. :geno:

Its cool if you had a solid team and got lucky but launch zerker was absolute garbage, he's in a slightly more balanced state now but I do miss not having to perk for speed.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Give the medic bullets full of/made out of nanites. Every time you shoot an enemy, friendlies near your target get a tiny bit of healing from the healing nanites splashing onto them.

Maybe make it every 4-5th bullet for the SMG/AR, give them a visible bullet trail and call them "Nano-tracers". Make it opposite a skill that instead gives you incendiary/poison tracers. At the very least, you can't go wrong turning the medic's high-tech guns into pretty light shows.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Alteisen posted:

Welp you sure showed me with your 4 images, I especially like the one where you're dead. :geno:

Its cool if you had a solid team and got lucky but launch zerker was absolute garbage, he's in a slightly more balanced state now but I do miss not having to perk for speed.

Compared to your protestations based on... oh, that's right, nothing more than your own inadequacey at Berserker. Launch Zerker was entirely viable, and felt better to play than it does now.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Get the gently caress rid of medic in a game that is about crumping zombie heads and make everyone get some regen. GG EZ

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Compared to your protestations based on... oh, that's right, nothing more than your own inadequacey at Berserker. Launch Zerker was entirely viable, and felt better to play than it does now.

Yea you're projecting hardcore, I have no clue how anyone can sit there and say launch zerker was totes fine.

You got top kills with launch zerker, ok? What does that prove? That you had a good team or got lucky, that's all there is to it, especially if you're door camping, and I didn't say he wasn't viable, I said he was poo poo, which he was, their perk tree was rear end and your damage resistance was extremely low, their 2nd re-design was downright OP and now they feel a bit more balanced, I won't say he's in the best state but to seriously say he felt better before is just nuts, but keep believing you're some god zerker who got all those kills solo.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

Do healing fart clouds count? :v:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Alteisen posted:

Yea you're projecting hardcore, I have no clue how anyone can sit there and say launch zerker was totes fine.

You got top kills with launch zerker, ok? What does that prove? That you had a good team or got lucky, that's all there is to it, especially if you're door camping, and I didn't say he wasn't viable, I said he was poo poo, which he was, their perk tree was rear end and your damage resistance was extremely low, their 2nd re-design was downright OP and now they feel a bit more balanced, I won't say he's in the best state but to seriously say he felt better before is just nuts, but keep believing you're some god zerker who got all those kills solo.

this is like the third goalpost shift already. Can you just admit you were wrong? At any point, ever? Because the problem isn't berserker just like it's not bad medics or any of the many things in between: It's you! Even your friends are telling you to chill. It's okay to admit you're wrong.

Psion fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Aug 30, 2016

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Abandoned Toaster posted:

heh, I mean, do they apply the dart buffs? They should. But I would hope the buff radius would be larger, in this hypothetical example. Having to cluster around the medic's cloud radius for a passive buff just seems like a nightmare waiting to happen, especially on servers which make the critical mistake of leaving player collision turned on.

ClonedPickle
Apr 23, 2010

Abandoned Toaster posted:

Healing fart clouds are a passive debuff due to the fuckin' screen shake they create. I'm tryin' to play Sharp over here and I'm getting farted on and now I can't see straight, goddamnit

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Alteisen posted:

You got top kills with launch zerker, ok? What does that prove? That you had a good team or got lucky, that's all there is to it, especially if you're door camping, and I didn't say he wasn't viable, I said he was poo poo, which he was, their perk tree was rear end and your damage resistance was extremely low, their 2nd re-design wasat downright OP and now they feel a bit more balanced, I won't say he's in the best state but to seriously say he felt better before is just nuts, but keep believing you're some god zerker who got all those kills solo.

At no point have I claimed to be a god-level Zerker. The images are illustrations of how it was indeed possible to play a good launch Zerker. If I had videos, I'd post those. Zerker's perks were probably a little weak, but the core play was sufficiently good to make up for that.

You're creating an impossible standard. "Your evidence doesn't count because you got lucky/used a cheap tactic/got carried/etc." You, however, provide no evidence for your position whatsoever, beyond ~~your opinion,~~ which is necessarily based on your own inability to leverage Zerker's strengths.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Why does this game always go on sale when I'm trying to save my money for other poo poo :sigh:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

ClonedPickle posted:

Healing fart clouds are a passive debuff due to the fuckin' screen shake they create. I'm tryin' to play Sharp over here and I'm getting farted on and now I can't see straight, goddamnit

oh yeah that definitely has gotta stop. Screenshake is yet another item in the pile of how Sharp is just getting unjustly poo poo on because that affects everyone, but it affects Sharp the most. Friendly action should not result in screenshake. Getting grabbed by a clot or hit by a pound or something, yeah, sure, but friendly effects ruining your aim? Nahhhhhhh.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

Psion posted:

heh, I mean, do they apply the dart buffs? They should. But I would hope the buff radius would be larger, in this hypothetical example. Having to cluster around the medic's cloud radius for a passive buff just seems like a nightmare waiting to happen, especially on servers which make the critical mistake of leaving player collision turned on.

As someone who's so far only been the farter and not the fartee (not to mention no icons showing if a buff is active) I thought they did. That's a shame if they don't, since the fact your gas lingers around you for a few seconds so you can run around healing and poisoning made me equate it to just a free grenade, and unless it does grant a buff I can safely say the previous Airborne Agent was better, especially since it double stacked with Armament (dart + cloud), provided bloat bile resistance, was ranged, and if I was closed enough it healed me too.

ClonedPickle posted:

Please, you're a Sharp, it's not like your Zed time skills rely on hitting a specific enemy body part or anything!

Man what is the point of shaking the screen for your teammates? I assume this is to let people know it activated? But really it's the sound of a medic grenade that does that. Maybe it's an oversight by Tripwire.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
So far I feel like SWAT is still just Commando with a flashbang instead of zed time and stalker vision. Not that it's necessarily a bad thing, but it certainly isn't distinct compared to say Sharpshooter versus Gunslinger, a class that essentially is a derivative of Sharpshooter yet still feels distinct.

Maybe when he finally gets the mystical shield. Maybe they can even rip off the wacky stuff they do with shields in Rainbow 6 as perks. Like shields with explosive reactive armor, or a plated triggered flashbang, or extending the shield so you become a walking wall at the expense of being able to shoot.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

Elysiume posted:

I just got Hans in 7 out of 7 games today, and he's still very unfun

Hans remains the big black mark on the game. He's generally okayish until you get him down to his final DIE DIE DIE phase where he then wipes the team if you don't put him down hard and fast, which is a chore because you're probably dry on ammo by then and if you're not on a map with a lot of ammo pickups you're boned.

The influx of new/returning players isn't helping. I've had to argue with people who haven't played at all or in months that you can loving break his shields now. I had some rear end screaming to not shoot his shields in a match and he would not listen to me, even when we clearly broke Han's shields at one point.

On another note, Gorefasts block too loving much. I have taken to shooting them in the dick when they block, which is incredibly satisfying.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Supports are so good, so satisfying to put down a Gorefast with a bodyshot from the starting weapon. Block that, rear end in a top hat.

On that note, I've seen the MP7 get praised over the MP5 but I'm not feeling its relative lack of damage, lovely iron sights or not. I guess it's because I'm only level 10 SWAT?

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

toasterwarrior posted:

Supports are so good, so satisfying to put down a Gorefast with a bodyshot from the starting weapon. Block that, rear end in a top hat.

On that note, I've seen the MP7 get praised over the MP5 but I'm not feeling its relative lack of damage, lovely iron sights or not. I guess it's because I'm only level 10 SWAT?

You may be reading old stuff. During the beta, the MP5 barely did more damage than the MP7. They changed it when the update went live and they nerfed the MP7's damage.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Luchadork posted:

You may be reading old stuff. During the beta, the MP5 barely did more damage than the MP7. They changed it when the update went live and they nerfed the MP7's damage.

Ah, that explains it. I've been rushing to get the MP5 ASAP since it's got a bigger mag and drops zeds faster. Hell, most games I'm just running MP5 and MP7 until endgame since the P90 kicks like a mule.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Luchadork posted:

Hans remains the big black mark on the game. He's generally okayish until you get him down to his final DIE DIE DIE phase where he then wipes the team if you don't put him down hard and fast, which is a chore because you're probably dry on ammo by then and if you're not on a map with a lot of ammo pickups you're boned.

The influx of new/returning players isn't helping. I've had to argue with people who haven't played at all or in months that you can loving break his shields now. I had some rear end screaming to not shoot his shields in a match and he would not listen to me, even when we clearly broke Han's shields at one point.

On another note, Gorefasts block too loving much. I have taken to shooting them in the dick when they block, which is incredibly satisfying.
I find blocking annoying in general, since so many maps are close enough quarters that you're forced to dump body shots or ignore a blocking zed because ammo is sparse.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

toasterwarrior posted:

Ah, that explains it. I've been rushing to get the MP5 ASAP since it's got a bigger mag and drops zeds faster. Hell, most games I'm just running MP5 and MP7 until endgame since the P90 kicks like a mule.

aim down sights and fire in short bursts, it's powerful enough this works really well. P90 hipfire is lovely when you need to dump a hundred rounds into a hallway of zeds, though.

actually most SWAT guns are really nice this way - occasionally useful spread from the hip, great from aim. I think they got that part down solid. Makes you want to aim down sights but you can make use of the spread when you're not.

Psion fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Aug 30, 2016

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

How is Commando since the perk update a while ago? I haven't played it in ages and I remember it being garbage, how good of a perk is it and how does it differentiate against SWAT?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I haven't really played either much since the update. But I figure Commando is supposed to follow around people and pick off the crawlers and stalkers on their asses, while Swat is supposed to run into the tar pit and clear out all the clots and poo poo. With both being good enough at doing the other. The rifles are obviously a bit better at range. I imagine commando would want to park their rear end where it can see everyone else, like I try to do with demo. I've been having enough fun basically ignoring blocking as demo to try commando though, so I can't speak for the perk changes.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Flipswitch posted:

How is Commando since the perk update a while ago? I haven't played it in ages and I remember it being garbage, how good of a perk is it and how does it differentiate against SWAT?

At Hard difficulty or lower you can main combat knife and use whatever gun you can afford to magdump big zeds, which is surprisingly fun. Above that you can still get significant utility out of the knife.

It is an OK class and at level 20+ you wreck poo poo pretty quickly at t3 and above, but it has always suffered from "Why don't I just play X?" For a long time Gunslinger was just far above Commando on power scale. Now that zeds jump around a lot more on high difficulty it's nice to be able to lay fire. Commando and SWAT do not have an explicable role right now.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

At Hard difficulty or lower you can main combat knife and use whatever gun you can afford to magdump big zeds, which is surprisingly fun. Above that you can still get significant utility out of the knife.

It is an OK class and at level 20+ you wreck poo poo pretty quickly at t3 and above, but it has always suffered from "Why don't I just play X?" For a long time Gunslinger was just far above Commando on power scale. Now that zeds jump around a lot more on high difficulty it's nice to be able to lay fire. Commando and SWAT do not have an explicable role right now.

If you can run the knife against trash on Hard, you can run it against trash on higher difficulties.

Commando is good because of the Zed Time skills. Zed Time extensions are A++, and on that basis alone, Commando has a role. It also happens to fill the role of easily clearing trash at least as well as any other class, if not better. I agree that Gunslinger is more powerful, but Commando brings a lot more utility, so the idea that it doesn't have an explicable role is insane.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

If you can run the knife against trash on Hard, you can run it against trash on higher difficulties.

Commando is good because of the Zed Time skills. Zed Time extensions are A++, and on that basis alone, Commando has a role. It also happens to fill the role of easily clearing trash at least as well as any other class, if not better. I agree that Gunslinger is more powerful, but Commando brings a lot more utility, so the idea that it doesn't have an explicable role is insane.

The damage you take in melee range at Suicidal+ makes knife-centric Commando not viable even with an A++ medic backing you up.

quote:

Commando brings a lot more utility, so the idea that it doesn't have an explicable role is insane.

The utility aspect of Commando aside from a 25 zedtime pop is highly overrated, at least by TW. Also, I am not certain they have changed zedtime to hit scan for Commando yet :downs:, although if my eyes do not deceive me it has been tweaked.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Aug 30, 2016

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

The damage you take in melee range at Suicidal+ makes knife-centric Commando not viable even with an A++ medic backing you up.

This is a fair assessment.

quote:

The utility aspect of Commando aside from a 25 zedtime pop is highly overrated, at least by TW. Also, I am not certain they have changed zedtime to hit scan for Commando yet :downs:, although if my eyes do not deceive me it has been tweaked.

As far as I know, nothing in Zed Time is actually hitscan. All projectiles were sped up, though.

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF

Alteisen posted:

I especially like the one where you're dead. :geno:

Shanks, I'm so sorry I let you down. It will never happen again.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
Can we talk about the new Scrake/FP spawning? Listen, I understand that they're easier to kill now, but they're not so much easier that spawning loving 7 Scrakes and 3 FPs at once on Suicidal is justified. :wtc:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

wave 2, 4 scrakes, :getin:

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I've only played on hard. It feels like most of what is said here doesn't even apply to my experience. Unless suicidal has a big xp increase I enjoy watching everything pop on baby hard mode enough.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Sonic the Hoxhaist posted:

I've only played on hard. It feels like most of what is said here doesn't even apply to my experience. Unless suicidal has a big xp increase I enjoy watching everything pop on baby hard mode enough.

Hard is fine and it is only recently that Hell on Earth became fun.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Hard is an okay "park rear end in place, shoot waves of Zeds" mode with the occasional panic when a Big Zed shows up.

Suicidal is a frantic non-stop torrent of trash, meaning you have to stick together more and move together more. It is harder, but it's just so diffrent it's like playing a diffrent release of the game.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
Hard and Suicidal are pretty much all I play now. Normal is for complete newcomers, Hard is good for low-level perks or casual headpopping, Suicidal is just as Kikas said, and Hell on Earth is for the masochistic assholes who post on the TW forums asking for the game to be harder.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Goddamn does SWAT captures the run-and-gun feel without being extremely skill intensive like Gunslinger. Feels a lot like Call of Duty actually, it's awesome.

I'm so wasteful with bullets though; apart from not having bought a Kriss in my last five games since I never could make enough money, I usually end up running out of ammo before the round ends. The level 15 ammo capacity perk isn't helping as much as I hoped it would either, haha. I bet it's because I'm wasting too much ammo against Fleshpounds, it feels like I'm barely doing any damage anyway.

Speaking of which, there's pretty much nothing you can do as a non-Berserker against an FP once it rages at you, right? I can pistol-whip and kite decently against Scrakes, but FPs just keep rushing and spamming their drill shove move without flinching against a bash. Almost like Hans and his stupid claw lunges, that motherfucker.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I find shooting them a lot, preferably in the face or the powercore, works best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Sharp might be the class that gets me to turn on the game crosshair. It doesn't seem feasible to play without a full team otherwise.

(Yes I reinstalled after quitting a few months ago and it's almost like Tripwire started caring about this game again except for how much Hans continues to suck. Poor Berzerkers aren't even the same class anymore but I can't tell if that's an improvement. At least Demo got a gun?)