Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
At least its a true representation of the table top game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Not a viking posted:

:drat:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Not a viking posted:

holy poo poo

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Yeah Dawn of War 3 seems like a step backwards from the really nicely done coverage based and tactical feel of 2. Going back to bland base building and blobbing up units to crash into other blobs

The problem is that this is what RTS players want because their brains are bad.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Welcome to the time period where big games get heavily influenced by MOBAs. Most are still in development so expect the trend to last a while

Blame your anime loving friends

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

BULBASAUR posted:

Welcome to the time period where big games get heavily influenced by MOBAs. Most are still in development so expect the trend to last a while

The art style definitely is, I'm not totally sure about the game play. It is a shame to lose the cover system of the old game, but it was pretty unwieldy, if they could have streamlined it by making the AI more aware of where enemies were/where they should be hiding it'd be better. But as with most RTS games, a lot of it comes down to maps as well as mechanics, for how the game plays. Speaking of the MOBA style, I wouldn't be surprised if that becomes the way they implement different Space Marine chapters, and other factions, into the game.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Company of Heroes has already perfected cover, what else do you want?

I swear, Dawn of War 3 is combining the worst traits of both previous games to sell more Knights.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

BULBASAUR posted:

I liked how DoW2 took some MOBA influence in having kind of lane-heavy maps and characters with a lot of abilities, and it worked well with that scale of the game. DoW2 online multiplayer was the most fun I ever had playing an RTS, and RTSes are one of my pet genres. It seems like they're taking that design, which worked in small-scale games, and bolted it onto a Supreme Commander-esque clusterfuck big battle game and I fear it's just gonna end up as a big mess. Massing blobs and attack moving them towards another big blob is so friggin boring, and while it was fairly novel when DoW1 came out I really don't want to see it again.

JcDent posted:

Having librarian as your chapter master results in bad RTS games.
I'm sorry your brain's broken

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SRM posted:

I liked how DoW2 took some MOBA influence in having kind of lane-heavy maps and characters with a lot of abilities, and it worked well with that scale of the game. DoW2 online multiplayer was the most fun I ever had playing an RTS, and RTSes are one of my pet genres. It seems like they're taking that design, which worked in small-scale games, and bolted it onto a Supreme Commander-esque clusterfuck big battle game and I fear it's just gonna end up as a big mess. Massing blobs and attack moving them towards another big blob is so friggin boring, and while it was fairly novel when DoW1 came out I really don't want to see it again.

They're trying to take on the Korean power house that is StarCraft2, obviously. :v:

SnafuAl
Oct 20, 2010

VR! VR! VR!
BLOODY VR!

SRM posted:

It seems like they're taking that design, which worked in small-scale games, and bolted it onto a Supreme Commander-esque clusterfuck big battle game

Sounds like they're staying pretty true to the source material then.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
if dow3 has a last stand mode I might get it tho

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Irate Tree posted:

They're trying to take on the Korean power house that is StarCraft2, obviously. :v:

Lol, even Blizz is giving up on SC2 and re-releasing Brood War.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
People that don't like SC2 are still living in 1999 and prefer to fight against the UI more than anything else.

MrSquarepants
Jul 4, 2012
Starcraft 2 is a bad game and you are a bad person if you think otherwise

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Then I'm a bad person that likes a bad game where I can select more than twelve units at a time, multiple buildings at a time, and key units with working AI, having the option to rearrange my hotkeys, and know which millenium I live in.

People's love for Brood War is for not actually playing it. You would purchase, borrow, or pirate a copy of a game called StarCraft and its expansion StarCraft: Brood War. The game you installed was called StarCraft: Brood War. The title screen would be for a game called StarCraft: Brood War. You'd click on multiplayer and go straight to games found under "Use Map Settings" and play things like paintball, mass games, turret or sunken defense, and RPG, or whatever. Maybe you heard about professional StarCraft players from Korea and maybe went through the lengths to setup an iCup account and their suite of mods, then got wasted by cheese or early pushes, got frustrated by it, and then went back to Amazing Turret Defense 2.

That's the experience of StarCraft that most people had, including yours truly. It was about playing not-StarCraft. It was the same for WarCraft III, where MOBAs were born.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Star Man posted:

Then I'm a bad person that likes a bad game where I can select more than twelve units at a time, multiple buildings at a time, and key units with working AI, having the option to rearrange my hotkeys, and know which millenium I live in.

People's love for Brood War is for not actually playing it. You would purchase, borrow, or pirate a copy of a game called StarCraft and its expansion StarCraft: Brood War. The game you installed was called StarCraft: Brood War. The title screen would be for a game called StarCraft: Brood War. You'd click on multiplayer and go straight to games found under "Use Map Settings" and play things like paintball, mass games, turret or sunken defense, and RPG, or whatever. Maybe you heard about professional StarCraft players from Korea and maybe went through the lengths to setup an iCup account and their suite of mods, then got wasted by cheese or early pushes, got frustrated by it, and then went back to Amazing Turret Defense 2.

That's the experience of StarCraft that most people had, including yours truly. It was about playing not-StarCraft. It was the same for WarCraft III, where MOBAs were born.

I wish WC3 was on steam so I could know how much of my life i wasted playing custom maps.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Campaign only, baby. I playrd skirmish in CnC games, DoW and CoH, but barely any in blizz RTSs.

Wings of Liberty has a lovrly campaign.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Lol, even Blizz is giving up on SC2 and re-releasing Brood War.

that hist is nutz to me

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

I wish WC3 was on steam so I could know how much of my life i wasted playing custom maps.

same

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Starcraft 2 is aight. The story gets kinda bonkers but the gameplay keeps itself interesting and novel, even if it doesn't always work and kind of stretches what works for RTS games. It's still a super pretty game with great music and really charismatic voice acting that rewards knowing what you're doing. I just wish Prodos followed up with the handful of Starcraft miniatures they showed off a while ago; I'd definitely play a tabletop Starcraft game.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Really, i just wish there were other RTSs that got even half the attention SC gets. DoW2 is still an awesome game to play and good for spectating, especially 1v1. I was really hoping Universe at War: Earth Assault would end up being something but Petroglyph sort of flubbed that.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Universe at War was too traditional for me (after DoW and CoH, I have a hard time accepting RTSs where you build individual dudes instead of customizable and squads, etc), and shame about how Maelstorm turned out. More recently, it was Grey Goo (though I guess it is still better than Maelstorm). Maybe I'm just biased against "classical" RTS games...

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.
Less videogame jibber jabber. More scrunts.

Gr4vyB04t fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Aug 29, 2016

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

AnElegantPeacock posted:

Less videogame jibber jabber. More scrunts.

MODS!?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
You guys like my goon conversion?

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
nice ferrus manus

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

BULBASAUR posted:

Harkonnen?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

w00tmonger posted:

Harkonnen?

Yeah, thats the Baron.

ToyotaThong
Oct 29, 2011

BULBASAUR posted:

Bring me that floating fat man!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Looks like a regular planetary governor

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

JcDent posted:

Looks like a regular planetary governor

Planetoid governor?

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

lilljonas posted:

Planetoid governor?

That's no moon....

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I think that model is rad, but I can't stop cringing at that dirty rear end warham nail

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

BULBASAUR posted:

I think that model is rad, but I can't stop cringing at that dirty rear end warham nail

These are your people.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
What's the base model for the goon balloon?

Cannibal Smiley
Feb 20, 2013

No Pun Intended posted:

What's the base model for the goon balloon?

Judge Dredd Fatties, I'm wagering.

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/miniatures/judge-dredd/fattie.html

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Though Fatties are not exactly built for crime, they have criminal tendencies like any other citizen and, rarely, will form gangs from among those they trust – other Fatties. More common is when a food shortage is present in Mega-City One, and rations are instituted. Driven to the point of madness in their all-consuming hunger, a Fattie stampede can be a terrible thing to behold, as several tons of blubbery flesh propelled on belli-wheels comes lumbering through a block, desperate to lay their hands on any available food.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

BULBASAUR posted:

Though Fatties are not exactly built for crime, they have criminal tendencies like any other citizen and, rarely, will form gangs from among those they trust – other Fatties. More common is when a food shortage is present in Mega-City One, and rations are instituted. Driven to the point of madness in their all-consuming hunger, a Fattie stampede can be a terrible thing to behold, as several tons of blubbery flesh propelled on belli-wheels comes lumbering through a block, desperate to lay their hands on any available food.

Further reinforcing my need to but more judge dread.

I'm I loving myself by starting from the beginning with those huge compendiums. Exactly how much is there?

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

w00tmonger posted:

Further reinforcing my need to but more judge dread.

I'm I loving myself by starting from the beginning with those huge compendiums. Exactly how much is there?

You're referring to the comics, I assume? Well, 2000 AD has been in print since 1977 and Dredd appears in the second issue, Heavy Metal has printed a fair bit of Dredd, DC had a few runs, and now IDW (along with Dark Horse) is putting out even more.

According to Comic Vine, Dredd appears in a total of 3295 issues.

Get reading!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Let's look at some stuff from 4chan...

When chaos goes too far

:nws:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
I'm the carefully painted butthole