Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

So are we gonna get marriage equality because Labor has realised it's a great way to wedge the Liberals or am I missing something?

Don't get me wrong, any door is a good door, but is this really what it took...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
They wouldn't do it unless they had numbers somewhere?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Anidav posted:

They wouldn't do it unless they had numbers somewhere?

Of course they would. It's so the Libs can't say "you're blocking marriage equality" when Labor votes against the Plebiscite.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

How many motions to suspend standing orders did Tony Abbott attempt to pass during opposition?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

No the libs would do mental gymnastics and claim Labor's method has failed on the floor and therefore they should support the liberals

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

And nothing resonates better with the common aussie than "give the other way a shot"

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

hooman posted:

Of course they would. It's so the Libs can't say "you're blocking marriage equality" when Labor votes against the Plebiscite.

AND to wedge the Greens too, because they can't vote against a marriage equality bill. If they pull it off, you will never stop hearing about it.

I just find the irony of the Bernardi pm bill train in the other direction at the same time, it's like two smug trains zooming past each other.

edit: oh poo poo they're multiplying

https://twitter.com/michaelkoziol/status/770507181284167680

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Aug 30, 2016

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Climate Change Authority splits over ETS report commissioned by Coalition
Exclusive: Top climate advisers divided over report, which recommends a policy that could break the political gridlock over climate change

We warned you about the splits, bro!

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Queensland parliamentary inquiry into women's health unironically recommends against decriminalisation of abortion.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

ewe2 posted:

AND to wedge the Greens too, because they can't vote against a marriage equality bill. If they pull it off, you will never stop hearing about it.

I just find the irony of the Bernardi pm bill train in the other direction at the same time, it's like two smug trains zooming past each other.

edit: oh poo poo they're multiplying

https://twitter.com/michaelkoziol/status/770507181284167680

It doesn't really wedge the greens because they aren't trying to serve two masters on this issue

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

Anidav posted:

Queensland parliamentary inquiry into women's health unironically recommends against decriminalisation of abortion.

It was never not going to be the outcome. The LNP members on the committee were set against any reform from the very beginning, and Reports need to reflect the consensus of the committee. The actual evidence was resoundingly in favour of reform, and there should be enough support in Parliament for a Bill. The current problem is, Rob Pyne has introduced a second Bill amending his first, and the rumblings within the Parliamentary Labor Party seem to suggest they want to introducing a competing Bill so they have this win. But with talk of an election before year end, they won't introduce a Bill that would jeopardise their re-election chances.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Lmao the plot thickens:

https://twitter.com/DavidParis/status/770518578781052928

(He's the communications advisor to Ludlam)

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

ewe2 posted:

Lmao the plot thickens:

Never change Labor party.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

they couldn't go one day, one day without loving it up

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
a distant voice floats from above

change from within

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico

ewe2 posted:

Lmao the plot thickens:

Classic ALP.

lol

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So what happens now?

Double billing? :rimshot:

Also there's a drat race riot going on in Kalgoolie after an aboriginal kid was run over with a ute.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Aug 30, 2016

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
EvilElmo EvilElmo EVILELMO

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
but you see the ALP are good because

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

It is an opportunist analogy.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So conflicted. Yay gay marriage, boo Labor being fuckheads?

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Doesn't Labor have some people who are publicly against Gay Marriage?

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico

SynthOrange posted:

So what happens now?

Double billing? :rimshot:

Also there's a drat race riot going on in Kalgoolie after an aboriginal kid was run over with a ute.

I've seen a few people mention they believe the alleged suspect hunted the kid down and then attacked him, after the theft had initially occurred. Rather than a direct response to the theft occurring where manslaughter could easily be upheld in this racist country of ours.

Apparently situations like this aren't uncommon in Kalgoolie, but then again it's an Australian pastime to overact extremely, with violence, to the lesser peoples who commit any crime :(

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Schlesische posted:

fairly sure they were all purged, the WA guy was the big one that I remember

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

BBJoey posted:

fairly sure they were all purged, the WA guy was the big one that I remember

I thought he resigned because it was against his moral compass to pass gay marriage, but was a'ok with the indefinite detention of children.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Schlesische posted:

Only a handful I think.

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah
Sam Wallman continues to be a national treasure

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/feature/winding-window-end-australian-auto-industry

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Don't worry, the marriage equality debate won't spotlight rhetoric harmful to lgbt people.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Has the government (state or federal) come up with a (real) plan for all those workers yet? Doesn't seem like the kind of thing you'd want to leave to the last minute.

[EDIT:
http://economicdevelopment.vic.gov.au/about-us/overview/strategies-and-initiatives/victorias-automotive-transition-plan
http://www.statedevelopment.sa.gov.au/industry/automotive

I guess there's something, hope it's enough!]

open24hours fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Aug 30, 2016

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

You're giving them hits by not pasting the text.

Is this about “equality” or is there something else at play?

New laws allowing people to designate a non-biological gender on their birth certificate should wait until after the plebiscite on changing the definition of marriage.

Australian Christian Lobby Managing Director Lyle Shelton said radical changes that would allow men identifying as women to enter women’s private spaces such as toilets and change rooms needed wider public discussion.

“The LGBTIQ political lobbyists are moving way too fast for ordinary Australians who hold to the biological view of boys and girls, men and women and do not want gender theory taught as fact at school,” Mr Shelton said.

“Premier Daniel Andrews is one of the most vocal proponents of same-sex marriage and he is at the forefront of the compulsory indoctrination of children into radical gender theory at school.

“This week’s move to allow birth certificates to be changed by someone who thinks they might be of the opposite sex is the latest in a deliberate ideological campaign to deconstruct society’s gender norms,” Mr Shelton said.

The Victorian Government’s proposal is that gender on birth certificates should be allowed to be altered, even without sex change surgery.

Queensland activists groups are also calling for similar legislation.

The laws also allow people who have sought to change their sex to remain married without having to divorce on the grounds that they were in a same-sex relationship.

“Australians will soon be voting on whether gender diversity should be removed as a requirement for marriage,” Mr Shelton said.

“That is the appropriate time to debate the sort of ideas put forward by the Andrews Government.

“Given that ‘safe schools’ and jettisoning biological reality on birth certificates are a package deal with same-sex marriage, it is only fitting that the Australian people have a say on whether or not our nation continues down this path.”

Mr Shelton said Mr Andrews new laws would make many private spaces unsafe for women.

“Why should a man identifying as a woman be allowed into a woman’s gym or a domestic violence shelter?

“Why should biological males identifying as women be allowed into women’s public toilets and shower facilities?”

It is time to re-think the rainbow political agenda and the marriage plebiscite is the ideal time to have a respectful debate about the consequences of redefining marriage.

Mr Shelton said many people were unaware that the ACT Government, another big supporter of redefining marriage, had already removed gender from childrens’ birth certificates with parents having to opt-in to have mother and father recorded.

ENDS

AgentF
May 11, 2009
I don't mind Labor putting their own bill through first. Fine. Still happy if it gets it debated in parliament.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

Starshark posted:

Yeah, remove the link text so it's obvious where it's going, I didn't want to be counted as a view for those fuckers.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Starshark posted:

Is this about “equality” or is there something else at play?

New laws allowing people to designate a non-biological gender on their birth certificate should wait until after the plebiscite on changing the definition of marriage.

Australian Christian Lobby Managing Director Lyle Shelton said radical changes that would allow men identifying as women to enter women’s private spaces such as toilets and change rooms needed wider public discussion.

“The LGBTIQ political lobbyists are moving way too fast for ordinary Australians who hold to the biological view of boys and girls, men and women and do not want gender theory taught as fact at school,” Mr Shelton said.

“Premier Daniel Andrews is one of the most vocal proponents of same-sex marriage and he is at the forefront of the compulsory indoctrination of children into radical gender theory at school.

“This week’s move to allow birth certificates to be changed by someone who thinks they might be of the opposite sex is the latest in a deliberate ideological campaign to deconstruct society’s gender norms,” Mr Shelton said.

The Victorian Government’s proposal is that gender on birth certificates should be allowed to be altered, even without sex change surgery.

Queensland activists groups are also calling for similar legislation.

The laws also allow people who have sought to change their sex to remain married without having to divorce on the grounds that they were in a same-sex relationship.

“Australians will soon be voting on whether gender diversity should be removed as a requirement for marriage,” Mr Shelton said.

“That is the appropriate time to debate the sort of ideas put forward by the Andrews Government.

“Given that ‘safe schools’ and jettisoning biological reality on birth certificates are a package deal with same-sex marriage, it is only fitting that the Australian people have a say on whether or not our nation continues down this path.”

Mr Shelton said Mr Andrews new laws would make many private spaces unsafe for women.

“Why should a man identifying as a woman be allowed into a woman’s gym or a domestic violence shelter?

“Why should biological males identifying as women be allowed into women’s public toilets and shower facilities?”

It is time to re-think the rainbow political agenda and the marriage plebiscite is the ideal time to have a respectful debate about the consequences of redefining marriage.

Mr Shelton said many people were unaware that the ACT Government, another big supporter of redefining marriage, had already removed gender from childrens’ birth certificates with parents having to opt-in to have mother and father recorded.

ENDS

lol this is the same poo poo that's being argued in the US

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

two babies are mixed-up in a Sydney hospital, resulting in one of them being accidentally cremated, New South Wales health authorities say.

:stonk: They were already in the morgue

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

lmao where did the gas mix-up happen? was it NSW??

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Recoome posted:

lol this is the same poo poo that's being argued in the US

Of course it is, people love to import US political arguments.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

it's really a great preview about just the kind of poo poo the LGBTIQ community is going to be facing. I think you'll probably expect a lot of street action from LGBTIQ community and allies and idk if the equality opponents are as comfortable with street demonstrations (have they ever??)

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

SynthOrange posted:

So conflicted. Yay gay marriage, boo Labor being fuckheads?

Better than the conflict we had last night.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Google Malcolm Turnbull dead cat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

open24hours posted:

Has the government (state or federal) come up with a (real) plan for all those workers yet? Doesn't seem like the kind of thing you'd want to leave to the last minute.

the government actually tends to do a reasonable job at reskilling workers who get caught up in major industry upheavals because it's high visibility and you tend to get a lot of warning so there's enough time for the bureaucracy to go through all the motions. it's also a good news story, so the LNP can go "look, these workers who we're throwing millions of dollars in training at managed to get a job! why can't these unemployed layabouts get one? k i l l t h e p o o r".

• Locked thread