Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
He's with his mother* now :unsmith:

Also loaded down with the ghosts of all his equipment.

*or possibly father/uncle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
In a fantasy world there is almost never even in the most grognardy of AD&D1e table top buffoonery actual permanent death*. It can and should be used as a plot point for the rest of the party to decide what to do about their companion and embark upon whatever is required to have them restored to life. If they decide to let the character rest in peace then it is incumbent upon the DM to discuss matters with the player of the deceased and work on what happens next. Even a character that was an appalling follower of their chosen deity can be restored by said deity. In fact the worse the level of adherence the better for the story. The God returns them to fly straight THIS TIME OR ELSE!

*Outside of Deck of Many Things (And gently caress those with a sack of bricks).

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Character death and its permanency are up to the group to decide ideally. I know a lot of people who get attached to their characters and get upset when they die (myself included); so they avoid it. Other people really enjoy the thrill of nearly dying and making a new character. As long as everyone agrees, is happy and having fun then like everything else in roleplaying that's the important thing.

I personally hope Varis lives again because he sounds like a fun character to play and be around. But if not at least the Lightning Lord has left a legacy behind him along with his ashes.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
On the topic of character death:

I've been gaming for about six years now, and pretty much in a permanent state of at least 2 games a week - usually 4 or 5. I'm fortunate to a) be a member of a university gaming club that isn't terrible and b) have a group of friends who are as obsessive about tabletop RPGs as I am. In all that time, I had never once lost a character. This includes in the local LARP system, where out of a party of 60-odd at the start of the year, there were five survivors. I survived twice. (one of my characters cut and ran before the final battle - and made it out through the custom-statted death encounter the GM threw at him - and the other survived the final battle)

A couple of months ago I had my first three character deaths within the span of two weeks - two of them in the same game.

Character death 1:
Cousin Steve the voodoo necromancer. This was in a homebrew system where we were playing a group of professional monster hunters in a modern day horror setting. Think Supernatural, but with a gang of hardened killers in SWAT gear instead of a pair of male models. I can't really exaggerate how lethal this system was: a basic hit from an AK47 did 24 damage in a system where a human being probably has 14-16. Supernatural creatures were far more dangerous than that, and the group of vampires we were hunting had notably hired a PMC to come kill us - a squad of specops guys with military hardware. Cousin Steve was unusually stronk - he had 32 hitpoints thanks to some voodoo I did and could survive a grand total of two AK hits before dying instantly. Cousin Steve survived a hell of a lot of poo poo he shouldn't have, such as being shot directly in the face, being in car crashes, getting in a massive gunfight with the above PMC while stark naked, fighting three full-blooded vampires at once. Unfortunately, no small amount of him being able to survive all of that bullshit was that he had a bad habit of making deals with one of the Loa Barons - Baron Criminelle, the Forbidden Baron. The first murderer, Baron Criminelle was basically voodoo Satan - he was kept chained up in Hell by chains made from the souls of the damned and spent all of his time trying to break out. Baron Criminelle would help a brother out at combat speed, no bullshit, the only catch being that the price was you had to help him break out. Cousin Steve had made that deal one too many times to the point that Steve was manifesting ethereal chains around his body. It had to stop, and the other Barons put a hit out on him.

It should be noted that Cousin Steve wasn't some insane maverick, he was a hardcore loyalist of the Barons and wasn't trying to gently caress them over or anything. He knew what he had done was bad. Unfortunately, he had sworn a greater oath to the hunter organisation to which the party belonged - one in which his family was collateral for Steve's continued service. His backstory was that his family were a powerful group of vooodoo houngans who had negotiated to be taken off the kill list of the hunter organisation in exchange for the greatest child of each generation being sworn to the service of the hunters. That was Steve. So when the Barons sent a Hangman - a powerful spirit of vengeance, which hanged oathbreakers with near-unbreakable ethereal nooses - to stop Steve, he had no choice but to try and fight it off, as much as he wanted to go quietly. The GM had outright statted this thing to murder Steve. He wasn't going to cheat or anything, but we both knew what had to happen and the GM had little to no expectation of Steve walking out alive. So when what was supposed to be a beatdown and a hanging turned into a drawn out, knockdown, wall-shaking murderbrawl during which Steve literally refused to choke to death by rolling crit success after crit success, smashing furniture over its head, setting it on fire, dragging it over to where discarded firearms were before emptying the magazines into its face etc, the whole table was looking on in as much astonishment as I was feeling. It took like half an hour real-time and something hilarious like eight or nine solid minutes ingame, but the burned, beaten, badly mangled Hangman eventually got its corpse.

I felt okay about having finally lost a character. Went down swinging was no exaggeration.

Character death 2:
Richard Locke the mercenary werewolf. Same game, replacement character. The campaign was gearing up towards its end stages. The vampires we were hunting were trying to summon a demon powerful enough to destroy the eastern seaboard of the US. Our organisation was reeling, broken. Its commanders had almost all been assassinated. Our party were suffering - most were dead, the rest were wanted by the FBI and the State Police due to the machinations of the vampires. The bloodsuckers had called in every favour they had. Aside from the PMC there were a group of werecrocodiles, some werebeast bounty hunters, a cabal of summoned demons and a demonic cult all gunning for our heads. We had no remaining safehouses, no way to get the medical treatment that we badly needed. Things weren't going well, to put it lightly. The final session of the campaign was possibly one of the most epic I have ever played in. We did the same thing as the vampires: we called in all our favours. There was a big meeting with almost every named NPC in the entire campaign. Our list of allies was nearly as long as theirs and included such ridiculous things as one of the Voudoun Barons, a pair of Fae Royalty and their Silver Host bodyguards, our own friendly demons, Steve's family and the remaining hunters of our organisation. The rest of the session was basically an extended Tet Offensive into the Louisiana swamps where the vampires were summoning the apocalyptically powerful demon. Too much happened to go into detail but highlights include: throwing a bag of C4 down the throat of a truck-sized flesh demon; a hunter putting a vampire into a triangle choke and holding him down while screaming at the others to flamethrower them, then keeping the vampire still until it fried to death; the firearms-focused Locke getting increasingly irate that the holy sword he borrowed was doing a lot more than his M4 assault rifle; the discovery that Kolkaran Ice Demons are badly misnamed and can also control fire, when an attempt to flamethrower it to death turned into it grabbing all the flames and sending them back at us; someone actually badly injuring the Fae Prince we had with us and him flipping out; Steve's spirit familiar manifesting in the form of a horse-sized dog and winning a 1v1 with a demon. By the time we got to the summoning circle, only three members of the party were still standing out of our original five and most of our allies were dead. The only thing that stood between us and victory was a group of the most powerful blood mages to have ever lived - who were all also either demons or elder vampires to boot. Locke's death was on the final round of the combat - he had previously set a timer on all of his remaining C4 and put it in his backpack, just in case we all died. On the final round before it was going to go off, he successfully passed a staking roll on the leader of the vampire mages - on the same initiative tick that the vampire swung its etheral death scythe into him. Both of us were instantly killed and one of the party dramatically dived onto the C4, disarming it while the countdown timer showed 0:01. We saved the world - at a massive cost of human life.

That one felt good too - straight out of a movie.

Character death 3:
Father Giacomo, Lasombra Justicar. An insane, high-powered, all the safeties taken off campaign of the Old World of Darkness.Those of you who keep up with the WoD thread may remember my posts about this campaign - it was the one where we had a transdimensional doom fortress in a system that's supposed to be about gritty, street-level politicking and murder. For those of you who don't know the world of darkness that well, Father Giacomo's title won't be setting off the alarm bells that it would do for a WoD veteran. Without going into exhausting detail, vampires in oWoD are divided up into subspecies/social groups called clans, and the clans have largely split into two factions who are currently in a state of bloody global war: the Camarilla and the Sabbat. In oWoD you are very much supposed to play as the Camarilla - they're the good guys in as much as a gang of vampires who control the world can be the good guys. The Sabbat are even more murderous, even more insane and even more evil and they (until much later in the line) are very much antagonists only. Clan Lasombra (aka the clan of shadows) are exclusively found in the Sabbat in that they're the ones who started the loving thing. Their custom vampire superpower called Obtenebration is infamous for its overpoweredness and ability to scythe through hordes of other vampires since it was, you know, intended to be for antagonists. A Justicar is a rank found exclusively in the Camarilla. They're the highest rank that exists in the organisation before you get to the secret command team that nobody knows anything about. Each clan gets one Justicar, and they're the judge, jury and executioner of the Camarilla who get to swag about the world doing whatever they want and being a law unto themselves. They're at least three steps above where player characters are ever supposed to advance in the Camarilla and you're never, ever supposed to play as one.

See the kind of game this was? I could keep going. Father Giacomo was a Fifth Generation (Generation being the most important stat in the game, representing your general power level and potency. Gen 5 is one above the playable hard cap and three above what normal characters are allowed to get) who was immune to blood bonds (this can't happen) was also a member of Clan Ventrue due to some shenanigans (this literally can't happen, it's totally impossible, that isn't even how vampire work. Notably, Lasombra and Ventrue loving hate each other), was also a member of his own custom clan (what the gently caress) who had his own custom variant of Assamite Sorcery (yet another antagonists only superpower from a completely different faction that, again, you can't get, it's too good), who had a Tal'Mahe'Ra blade (you can't get one of these they're the proprietary lightsabers of the secret illuminati who you don't know exist and are way more badass than you) and, this is so dumb it needs repeating, was not only a member of the Camarilla instead of the Sabbat but was actually one of the most powerful and influential members of the entire organisation.

oWoD is a game which rightly gets a lot of flak for all the player-facing books being low-to-mid powered, street level games about gritty bad things happening to your characters and the people they love, tough choices, an unfair universe that doesn't care for your snowflake bullshit etc... and then all of the metaplot and setting books being a hosed up crazy madhouse of wildly overpowered abilities and items that you can't get unless your ST gives them to you, hyper competent overpowered NPCs who were way cooler than you and had a load of special snowflake crap that you can never get who solve all the plots, a layer cake of hidden secret mysteries to the setting which each turn everything on its head that you will never, ever find anything about in game or have any hope of comprehending or stopping, a myriad of powerful, world-controlling organisations that you'll never find out exist and so on and so on and so on.

This was a campaign where not only did we call that out for the bullshit that it was and reject its premise entirely, we played by the game's own rules. We did not houserule oWoD in defiance of all sanity. We simply played a high-powered game where no artificial limitations were put on our characters and we got all the privileges that the game heaps onto its own characters. As it turns out, this makes the PCs hilarious.

The actual character death is something of an anticlimax after all this. Father Giacomo got into a sword fight with Yahweh and lost. Barely. The fight took less than one three second turn and took about 90 minutes, during which Father Giacomo took 11 actions and bounced I don't even know how much aggravated damage. At one point he was completely submerged in on-fire white phosphorous and not only took no damage, he also didn't even take a frenzy check. God killed him, but was drained and bloodied and wounded, and got promptly finished off by the surviving member of the party.

This final death also, like the others, felt good. Father Giacomo fought God and lost and because oWoD is a highly crunchy intricately mechanical game that only gets exponentially more complicated as your character grows more powerful, I have several pages of stats that back me up when I say that if Father Giacomo lost, there was nobody who could have won. A lesser munchkin would not have made it to subround 11.

tl;dr: Doodmons masturbates furiously about some of his characters. Ignore him at your leisure.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Had a great game of Tokyo Brainpop today. It's the game of japanese psychics and school drama.

Nearly everyone was on the archery team at our high school, and what started off with one-upsmanship (the psychic girl hitting a bullseye, the most popular girl splitting it without looking, and my gajiin hitting a baseball -through that arrow-) progressed rapidly to terror and betrayal. The demon overtaking the school worked through spiders, who took psychic control of some adults, and flooding. Also dangerous were the rival high school biker gang, who were defeated and befriended in a giant mall dance sequence.

For some reason, my gajiin Thessily set up the least popular girl (and her rival) with a geeky biker. He ended up being the japanese equivalent of McGuyver. His motorcycle was a boat, which allowed him to save the popular girl from a collapsing bridge. (My character ended up buying an electric motorboat with the intent of returning it.)

The entire island got flooded, and as a group we set the final scene at a sports complex on top of mount Fuji. Hundreds of screaming survivors, distracted by the Japanese meteorological oversight committee, were determined to find out who was Japan's Top Female Athlete.

The arena started to flood from nowhere, and a schoobus sized spider attacked everyone.

One of the girls betrayed the psychic to the government, and Thessily beat her senseless with a baseball bat. The archery squads tried to take out the beasts eyes. Thessily's boyfriend led the biker gang into dropping a motorboat filled with explosives onto the spider. The popular girl ended up shooting a fullisade of arrows up the spider's rear entrance, securing victory as it exploded into gore.

http://imgur.com/a/uviH0
(Yellow is the GM).

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Aug 31, 2019

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Doodmons posted:

tl;dr: Doodmons masturbates furiously about some of his characters. Ignore him at your leisure.

Nah. Those were some fun stories, especially how overpower White Wolf can get. Besides, I've been pretty much posting The Varis Show. I'm trying to get more of the other players' moments as well since I'm blessed with such a kick-rear end group of fellow gamers...

X X X X X

The upside? The beholder’s stash came to about 5000 gold, 1000 in gems, and a Holy Avenger. This made Falinrae, our Paladin, happy because he had lost his original sword to the bottom of a lake a few sessions previous. He was even more pleased when he picked up the sword and it told him, in no uncertain terms, he was going to have to prove he was honorable and worthy of being its wielder. Yes, please challenge the 40-year veteran of role-playing to prove he can roleplay a Lawful Good Paladin…

On the way back to Highspire (with my ashes having been collected and turned into an ice cube by Ksena, our Monk) Saegan Pennywhistle explained that he had ended up in the beholder’s lair because he had gone looking for the other adventuring party after they hadn’t returned from the mountains. They were also long-time patrons of the Cranky Owlbear and had a huge tab with the owner, and not even petrification would stop him from collecting. The four statues were safely wrapped inside Saegen’s bag and he would have them restored at a temple and deliver them back to the tavern in return for the owner of the Cranky Owlbear settling HIS tab.

quote:

”How big is your tab?”

“About three lifetimes worth of drinks.”

Saegan Pennywhistle was originally a PC from WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY back in the day, back from when the GM was running Tanicus in his college’s student union. He didn’t think too highly of Tanicus’ gods, and a few of his Bard’s tales were long, flowing songs about how foolish and petty they all were. Tulani, the Great Muse, and Halaal, the Draconic god of mockery and trickery, found his stories amusing as they tweaked the nose of their counterparts. Until he spun a story about the two of them. At the tavern between adventures one night, the PC was met by a man with a bow and a lute over his shoulders. After a few drinks, the man asked Saegan what he most wanted in life. “For my stories to live forever…because that means I’ll live forever.” The man smiled and said “So you want to live forever?” “Yes. I want to live forever.” “Done.”

The man? Tulani in human form. And from that point on, Saegan Pennywhistle was immortal. And by immortal, meaning he would never age…but he could die. And come back to life in the same body, just healed up and regenerated – Captain Jack Harkness from Doctor Who before his time, or Mr. Immortal from the Great Lakes Avengers for the truly nerdy among us. Saegan has been an NPC for centuries, and the sheer amount of years he’s been alive means he’s a font of knowledge for all things Tanicus. He’s not an oracle, but you can see their temple from where he stands. And he’s bored. Incredibly bored. One time, he managed to make his way to Elysium, Tulani’s home plane, an endless expanse of wisps, stags, bears, forests, and plains. It took him seven years to cross Elysium, hounded every step of the way by Tulani’s animal guardians. They would kill him, he’d get back up and keep going, they’d kill him again, he’d get back up and keep going. At the gates of Tulani’s hunting lodge, he died over a dozen times banging on the door asking for an audience with him. Tulani finally lets him in…

quote:

“What can I do for you, Saegan Pennywhistle?”

“You can let me die. There’s nothing left for me to do. My family is gone, my friends pass before my eyes, even the Sidh wither and fade before me. Please, Tulani. Let me die.”

“Hmm. No. You still have more songs to write.”

That’s the entirety of the conversation. 30 seconds after seven years of trying before Tulani snaps his fingers and sends him back to Tanicus…

X X X X X

Basically, Saegan has been introduced to fill in the gaps in the party’s knowledge, both with what they want to know and with what the GM wants them to know. The key piece of knowledge is how to pass by the iron golem back in Summertide – the passcode wasn’t verbal, it was a hand gesture – and the party also learns a little bit about one of our upcoming enemies and how to get to them without fighting through a good chunk of their fortress (Tellisyn’s second cousin, a Blackguard in service to her grandmother and has a young red dragon for a mount, but that’s a story for another time), along with some tips on how to survive in Ancellyon once the party heads over that way and several other little pieces of knowledge.

Of course, the big question on everyone’s mind is...

quote:

”How do we raise Varis?”

As I was turned into a small collection of fine dust, we’re looking at a True Resurrection spell since it’s the only spell that works without a body. Unfortunately, there’s two hitches. One, it’s hideously expensive and the party only had 6000 gold. The second hitch…well…

Here’s the thing about resurrection in Tanicus. Annwn (ah-NOON), the Dark Lady, Neutral Evil, ruler of the gods of darkness. The dead are her domain. Not the undead as those fall under Qord, but the dead. Anyone who dies on Tanicus passes through her hands on the way to their final resting place, no matter what race they are or which plane they’re going to be spending eternity on. Annwn takes death very seriously. If someone on Tanicus is resurrected without her consent, there’s a 75% chance of a member of her priesthood being called to kill them and bring their soul back to Annwn for its return to its proper place in the afterlife, but there is a 15% chance of escaping her notice and coming back clean. The other 10%?

Should someone on Tanicus be resurrected without the consent of Annwn, there’s a 10% chance that Annwn will show up in person to kill the newly resurrected, and her very presence on Tanicus as the queen of the dark gods causes every living thing within a ten mile radius to die – humanoid, plant, animal, all fall down and don’t get back up. This is how one of the GM’s campaigns got thrown way off course, when the party tried to resurrect their Cleric with a scroll of Resurrection. The end result saw the entire city-state turned into a desolate wasteland and several plot-vital NPC’s go down. The only reason the party survived was because Annwn told them to spread the word that trying to raise the dead without her approval was a BAD IDEA!!! The only people allowed to resurrect the dead without Annwn’s direct approval are her clerics…but the problem is since Annwn is a dark god, temples to her are kind of hard to find in good-aligned cities like Highspire. They’re there, because no one wants to risk upsetting a god by denying her worshippers a place to pray, but they’re tucked away in very hard to find places.

Saegan tells the party that he can call in a favor to call in a favor and have Highspire’s clerics of Annwn resurrect Varis. He takes Tellisyn to see someone who owes him a huge favor. In the basement of a small bookbinder’s shop sat a middle-aged lady who was gluing a blank spellbook together when Saegan walks in all smiles, calling her “darling” and “baby,” while Tellisyn…Tellisyn is very straight forward, dour, doesn’t joke around, and wants nothing more to kill the rest of her family out of a sense of both justice and anger. Saegan asks the middle-aged lady for a favor – to cash in her huge favor to ask the priests of Annwn to resurrect Tellisyn’s friend. Apparently, the middle-aged lady was owed a favor by the clerics of Annwn and since she owed Saegan a favor as well, Saegen was calling in his favor to call in her favor. She agreed, however she then turned to Tellisyn.

quote:

“And you require a favor as well?”

“I do?”

“Yes. It will take your comrade three days to recover from being brought back to life. Three days that you cannot afford to waste travelling to Redfall in order to enter Ancellyon. I will teleport you to just outside of Redfall once your comrade is back to full strength.”

“Who are you to know this about my party?”

The small basement falls away, turning into a landscape of stars. And the woman turns into a silver dragon.

quote:

”Ok, this is getting out of hand. Does ANYONE not know about our party’s quest?”

“Saegan Pennywhistle told me about you. I have an interest in seeing the forces of good triumph…”

“Great! So why don’t you get out of the basement and go do something about it?”

“Balance must be…”

“Oh, stuff your balance! It seems like the more powerful a ‘good’ being gets, the more they’re likely to sit on the sidelines and let people like me do the heavy lifting while the bad guys are just handed their gifts! When was the last time you saw a green dragon crawl through a dungeon looking for some stupid old book!”

“I understand…”

“You really, really don’t. I’ll take your teleport, we will take your teleport, what the hell do you want in return?”

“…I want you to swear that you will do your best to defeat the forces of evil…”

“COME ON! I do that on a daily basis!”

“No. I want you to swear on something you truly care about.”

“For the love of…fine. I swear on hate and anger. Hate at my grandmother, at my cousin, at my entire family, at the Ancellyn, at the githyanki, and anger at the whole stupid mess and the fact that I have to spend most of my time stabbing things instead of sitting around binding books all day!”

“…you have much anger in your heart.”

“Nooooooooooooo, really?”

So Saegen and Ksena take the ‘cube’o’Varis’ to Annyn’s temple, which is hidden deep underneath the city. As he was with the silver dragon, Saegen is all smiles and happy with the head priest, who actually smiles and greets him back. After exchanging a few barbs with Ksena, who is dedicated to Emanyn, god of the sea, she asks for Varis’ ashes…

X X X X X

Now, when you die on Tanicus, you pass through Annyn’s hands for a brief moment before ending up at your final resting place. In Varis’ case, that would have been Celestia, a place where his magic would always work, the food and drink would be perfect, and spring is just now rolling into summer.

Instead, Varis wakes up in the middle of Gehenna.

Gehenna is where evil and failed souls go, a thousand-thousand hells all intertwined, each one devising a unique form of punishment or torture for its denizens. Souls here are burned free of their sins and infidelities before being let go to wander the afterlife free of their burdens but not yet able to seek perfect rest. It’s also the place with the truly evil and wicked are recruited and trained to go fight in the Blood War. So there’s Varis, whose last memory is being torn apart atom by atom by a beholder, and now he’s in a place that’s best described as part Warhammer 40k Chaos Marine boot camp, part Dante’s Inferno, and part the ship’s log from Event Horizon. People are being ripped right from the ground, twisted up, have a weapon shoved into their hands, and sent off to fight, and that if they’re lucky.

“Hello, Varis.” A cold hand rests on my shoulder. Annwn is standing right behind Varis. Imagine a coldly beautiful Morticia Adams in black silk, blood red lips, porcelain skin, and an aura that would chill a white dragon.

quote:

“Where am I?!?”

“Gehenna. Do not worry however. You’re safe. None will touch you while you’re under my protection.”

“Why am I here?!?”

“Shhhhhh,”
in a voice that sounds like silk sheets rubbing against each other. ”You were supposed to move on to Celestia, but I figured sending you to heaven and then pulling you back out when your colleagues resurrect you would be incredibly cruel on my part. And I am not a cruel goddess Varis to those who have not crossed me.”

So for the next three days Varis gets to see hell first hand, and even gets the guided tour as Annwn shows him around. It’s not so much a “tour” as a “sales pitch,” as she keeps asking Varis if he wants to work for her. Not in the Blood War, that’s small time, but with regards to bigger and better thing. “The gods of light and the gods of balance have their representatives in your party. Why shouldn’t I?” “…I know I shouldn’t tell a god no, but I’m already pledged to Reva.” “Oh, yes. Him. Boring choice. He never has any fun. And didn’t you die a virgin? My priests have the best parties. They live like every moment might be their last...

The time comes to resurrect Varis, and Annwn asks me if he wanted to stay or if he wanted to go. Both player and PC wanted OUT. ”Very well. Remember, the first time you are brought back to life is a blessing from myself. Beyond that? Well, that’s when bargains are struck…oh, you don’t have a body to inhabit, do you? Mmmmm, this is going to hurt.”

Yeah. Bones first, then muscle, then organs…it took ten minutes for Varis’ body to reconstruct itself. Ten long, agonizing minutes. When Varis snaps up, he’s laying on a cold marble slab surrounding by the priests of Annwn, naked as the day he was born, and has to be convinced he’s not in Gehenna but back on Tanicus. Varis slides off the slab…right in front of Ksena, who can’t help but glance down.

quote:

”Huh. That’s what 20 Charisma gives you under the hood."

X X X X X

Player’s note – When I went to the GM’s house that week for our Ghostbusters game, Ksena’s player handed me a copy of Stephen King’s Pet Semetary and said “You may want to read this for some role-playing ideas…”

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I would kill to get into a game half as good as yours. Sweet jeebus.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

the_steve posted:

I would kill to get into a game half as good as yours. Sweet jeebus.

Seriously, SERIOUSLY seriously, I would go out and buy a campaign setting book for Tanicus, even if it's crazy expensive and comes in a three-part series.

In the meantime, you should see if you can't get your character sheets up on the wiki. ;)

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...
Leading to the one thing I've been curious about: when a True Resurrection is conducted without a body, does the body come back scar-free and tattoo-free, as well as free of amputations and other long-term injuries?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

CobiWann posted:

Player’s note – When I went to the GM’s house that week for our Ghostbusters game, Ksena’s player handed me a copy of Stephen King’s Pet Semetary and said “You may want to read this for some role-playing ideas…”
Sometimes dead is, in fact, better.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
I too am hoping for some kind of plot twist that brings Varis back because as a DM who has killed far too many games due to players loosing interest because a player gets killed by Wandering Damage Tables, I have decided that player deaths have to Mean Something.

I remember playing in a long-running game of Harnmaster where we were fleeing from a baddy through a sewer. I had a magic cloak that allowed me to merge with plants like a Druid with a side effect that the cloak was utterly frictionless. I was a tumbly-acrobaty character and I used the cloak to slide across many a floor to chop the legs of of many a foe.

So, during this flee through the sewers, I decided to wrap myself up with my frictionless cloak and dive down an outflow tunnel. Well, the DM ruled that the outflow was steep enough and my cloak let me go fast enough that I would smack the far side of the bigger tunnel I was sliding into. Rolled damage indicated I impaled myself on a rocky outcropping and died.

One of the dumbest, most pointless deaths I've ever played.

Made worse by the fact that a friend's elf character was able to resurrect me- resurrection being one of the most esoteric and rare abilities of only the most powerful mages. The reveal that resurrection existed, and the reveal occurring during a lame-rear end death, really broke the mood for me for that game.

Make player deaths count, folks.

Edit: well. Shoulda finished the thread before posting. Glad Varis came back.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Aug 30, 2016

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Agrikk posted:

I remember playing in a long-running game of Harnmaster where we were fleeing from a baddy through a sewer. I had a magic cloak that allowed me to merge with plants like a Druid with a side effect that the cloak was utterly frictionless. I was a tumbly-acrobaty character and I used the cloak to slide across many a floor to chop the legs of of many a foe.

So, during this flee through the sewers, I decided to wrap myself up with my frictionless cloak and dive down an outflow tunnel. Well, the DM ruled that the outflow was steep enough and my cloak let me go fast enough that I would smack the far side of the bigger tunnel I was sliding into. Rolled damage indicated I impaled myself on a rocky outcropping and died.

One of the dumbest, most pointless deaths I've ever played.

Aside from the fact that it's hilarious, "utterly frictionless" is such a potent, double-edged ability that something like this happening is inevitable if you're not careful about it.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Carrasco posted:

Aside from the fact that it's hilarious, "utterly frictionless" is such a potent, double-edged ability that something like this happening is inevitable if you're not careful about it.
I'm surprised one could even hold onto it.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Magic. Same reason portable holes are portable and Immovable Rods decide on a sensible frame of reference contextually instead of shooting off in a predetermined direction at the speed of the expansion of the universe or off into space at the speed of your planet's orbit or stick to the user's hands and become some sort of ridiculous iron lightsaber that can't be moved by anyone else.

That said, yeah, a 'frictionless cloak' sounds more like an amazing Paranoia item than a weird D&D item.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Any campaign that features a PC calling out the big metaplot good guys for their bullshit is a good campaign.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Lorak posted:

I'm surprised one could even hold onto it.

Actually, when I originally found the cloak, it was inside a golden clockwork sphere with all these latches locks and puzzles that had to be opened in the correct order in order to open it ( a story all its own).

But when I finally opened the sphere, the cloak was sloshing around like a fluid, because frictionless, and I originally tried to drink it thinking it was a potion. It sorta blooped on my face and then onto the floor but It woulda been a whole new level of bizarre if my GM had let me drink a cloak.

Eventually I stirred it around enough to find the clasp that kept it on a wearers neck and realized that the clasp wasn't frictionless and it was the only way to hold onto the thing. Putting the cloak on was always a chore of finding the clasp that had become covered by the rest of the material. It was never a fast process.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Aug 30, 2016

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Agrikk posted:

Actually, when I originally found the cloak, it was inside a golden clockwork sphere with all these latches locks and puzzles that had to be opened in the correct order in order to open it ( a story all its own).

But when I finally opened the sphere, the cloak was sloshing around like a fluid, because frictionless, and I originally tried to drink it thinking it was a potion. It sorta blooped on my face and then onto the floor but It woulda been a whole new level of bizarre if my GM had let me drink a cloak.

Eventually I stirred it around enough to find the clasp that kept it on a wearers neck and realized that the clasp wasn't frictionless and it was the only way to hold onto the thing. Putting the cloak on was always a chore of finding the clasp that had become covered by the rest of the material. It was never a fast process.
This was probably one of the most fantastic explanations I could have hoped for.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Kavak posted:

Any campaign that features a PC calling out the big metaplot good guys for their bullshit is a good campaign.

Yeah, I clapped at that takedown.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Shady Amish Terror posted:

That said, yeah, a 'frictionless cloak' sounds more like an amazing Paranoia item than a weird D&D item.

Lorak posted:

This was probably one of the most fantastic explanations I could have hoped for.

Agreed. An idea so good I may have to steal it for both my regular campaign and the next Paranoia one-shot.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Mondian posted:

Agreed. An idea so good I may have to steal it for both my regular campaign and the next Paranoia one-shot.

One of the things I loved about Harn was how esoteric everything was. Magic was SUPER rare and wizards were scary and frightening and had the reputation as puppet masters- toppling governments and swaying kings.

Magic items were equally esoteric and strange and adventuring heroes could and did go their whole careers without seeing one. My GM had some pretty cool ideas for items and when a magic item did appear it was never as pedestrian as a +1 broadsword, but far more interesting stuff that required out of the box thinking for its application.

But the frictionless cloak death still kinda chafes.

(See what I did there?)

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Agrikk posted:

One of the things I loved about Harn was how esoteric everything was.
Indeed. And yet the magical "guild" always felt less like a bunch of mustache-twirling baddies out to do whatever and more like a bunch of academics squabbling over who should get tenure, which I loved.

Earthmaster artifacts were always good for the esoteric and strange as well.

Agrikk posted:

(See what I did there?)
:golfclap:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
So Varis is snoring away in a large comfy bed in the Noble’s room of the Cranky Owlbear after being knocked out with a Sleep spell because every time he closed his eyes he couldn’t stop screaming. His pseudodragon Cadavell is curled up on his chest , stinger capped to ensure he doesn’t sting his master in case the Sorcerer woke up.

The rest of the party is feeling bad, both in an emotional way and in a pragmatic way. Emotionally, the youngest member of their party has obviously been through hell and won’t tell them what happened. Pragmatically, he’s naked. All he had to his name were some priests robes given to him by the High Priest of Annwn, and no way was he going to be walking around Highspire with those on. No robes, no wands, no rings…all the party had to their name was 8000 gold to replace Varis’ gear while also obtaining a new Bag of Holding. And a staff from the beholder that no one could attune so no one knew what it could do.

Skeever, our Bard/Barbarian, and Cullis, our Rogue, decide to shop around and see if they could maybe get some second-hand magical gear to outfit Varis until the natural inertia of adventuring replaced what he lost. After a suggestion from Saegen Pennywhistle, the pair headed to Abeforth’s Apothecary, one of the best known magical shops in all of Highspire (now with a second shop just opened in Midway!). The trip started out as nothing more than a shopping expedition, until Skeever and Cullis walked into the shop just as the owner, Abeforth himself, was sending out some young children with flyers to drum up business…

quote:

Skeever – Are you having trouble with your business?

Abeforth – Of course not! I’m the best Enchanter in all of Highspire! Kaeryn and Korvis are staring at each other, there’s rumors of war coming from across the ocean, and there were some adventurers who just cleared out most of my healing potion stock for a trip up to the mountains! Business is booming! I just opened up a second shop in Midway! When people hear the name Abeforth’s Apothecary, they know they’re getting the best!

Pause.

quote:

Cullis – So you want people to hear about your store? Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaave you heard of the Lightning Lord?

Abeforth – The Lightning Lord? Of course! I heard the new tavern song about him last night, the one about him taking down a Demon Lord on a bridge singlehandedly!

Cullis – Well you’re in luck good sir! You see, we’re representatives of the Lightning Lord himself and he’s looking to purchase some new magical gear for his never ending crusade against evil!

Abeforth – You are? Where is he?

Skeever – Evil never rests, but sometimes Varis needs to. And what he needs right now besides rest is a new set of robes!

Abeforth – New robes? What happened to the last set?

Cullis - …they got disintegrated by a beholder.

Abeforth – You have no idea how many magical robes have been lost to the eyestalks of a damned beholder.

Cullis – We’re also in the market for a Bag of Holding…

Abeforth – BAG OF HOLDING?!? Hah! Any two-bit enchanter can make a Bag of Holding! Check THIS out!

He pulls out a small black handkerchief…and whips it open. It goes from being a handkerchief into a 10 foot by 5 foot black hole 3 feet in depth.

quote:

Abeforth – Say hello to the next step in Portable Hole technology! It’s larger, can hold more stuff than a normal Portable Hole, and is actually MUCH more portable!

Cullis – Can you use it to walk through walls?

Abeforth – That’s still in beta at this time. The Quickling who volunteered to try it out came back and spent an entire week sitting in a corner rocking back and forth, muttering something about ‘longer than you think’ for a week before going right back to being his cheerful annoying self.

Skeever – How about the robes?

Abeforth – Easy. There was an Necromancer in here a few weeks ago who wanted a Robe of the Archmage. I was about halfway through making it when his apprentice lurched in here and told me the poor sap got shoved headfirst into a Bag of Devouring by a Flesh Golem run amok. How does that sound?

Skeever – Wonderful! The Lightning Lord’s robes were once claimed by a Necromancer before finding its way to his shoulders!

Abeforth – Whatever. 12000 gold pieces for both and I can get them to you in two days.

Cullis – …how about 8000 gold?

Abeforth – Next!

Cullis – Wait. How about we make a deal? You just opened up a shop in Midway, so your business is spreading. You want your reputation to grow with you, right? How about this? For a 20% discount on all magical items and services rendered by Abeforth’s Apothecary, the Lightning Lord will make Abeforth’s Apothecary his own official and exclusive store!

Abeforth – NEXT!

Skeever – Sir, hear us out! The Lightning Lord was once a poor farmboy from Dale who has risen to walk hand-in-hand with the gods themselves! He could go anywhere else for his goods and services…but he chose to come here to Abeforth’s Apothecary. Or he would, if he was awake. Anytime he slays a mighty beast, it will be with a spell boosted by Robes of the Archmage handcrafted by Abeforth himself!

Abeforth – What? He smites a goblin with lightning and he’ll say ‘this dead goblin brought to you by Abeforth’s Apothecary?’

Skeever – For 20% off, absolutely! And did I mention that Varis' aunt had an apothecary in Dale before she passed? There might be a third franchise in your future...

Abeforth -…20% off, I get right of first refusal on all magic items if you're selling them in Highspire or Midway, I want him to namedrop my shop whenever he can, AND I expect the name ‘Abeforth’s Apothecary’ to be in those tavern songs that are sung about him.

Skeever – DEAL!

X X X X X

Varis wakes up the next day, and the souls of the damned have stopped screaming. He comes downstairs to the dining room of the Cranky Owlbear, familiar around his shoulders, with the rest of the party happy to see him. Ksena, after giving him a big hug, hands him the staff they found in the beholder’s lair – a Staff of Defiance (+2 to AC, advantage on physical saving throws, 10 charges, d4 + 1 recharge at midnight, 1 charge for Shield, 2 charges for Dispel Magic, 3 charges for Counterspell, 50% chance of the staff withering away if it runs out of charges) and Abeforth’s Robe of the Archmage (+2 to spell save DC and spell attack bonus, advantage on saving throws against magic). The robes are really cool – Abeforth ran copper threading through the sleeves and chest so that the robe flares up any time Varis casts a lightning-based spell. If Lightning Lad from Legion of Superheroes was a spellcaster, these robes are what he would wear.

quote:

Varis – You guys didn’t have to do this for me. I really appreciate it.

Skeever – No problem, Varis! You’re part of this party and even though you died we still think you’re swell!

Varis – Thanks. I owe you guys big time. I promise to pay you guys back. How much did this all cost?

Skeever – Don’t…

Cullis – 8000 gold with the 20% discount and sponsorship deal. When you pay me back I’ll take gold or gems if that’s ok.

Varis - …sponsorship deal?

Skeever – Yeah! Look on the back of the robes!

Varis does so as Skeever gushes about how they’re technically getting PAID to spread the word of the Lightning Lord and Cullis is talking about payment plans as Varis notices a logo on the back of the robe…

(The GM drew that up the week between sessions after sketching a quick mock-up during game)

quote:

Varis – Wait. You're telling me that while I was asleep you went out and got me corporate sponsorship?!?

Skeever – Yeah! All you have to do is talk up Abeforth’s Apothecary while we’re adventuring! Hey, maybe once you retire you can open up your own Abeforth’s franchise in Dale! He’s already got one in Midway!

Varis – I…I’m…I appreciate the gesture you two, but I feel kind of sleazy. The Lightning Lord has sold out.

Cullis – No no. The Lightning Lord has bought in.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Longer than you think. I applaud your DMs taste in references.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Poor Varis. He only THOUGHT he escaped hell.

Is there a clause to get him out of the agreement if he dies again?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

the_steve posted:

Poor Varis. He only THOUGHT he escaped hell.

Is there a clause to get him out of the agreement if he dies again?

If he dies, Skeever has to strike a deal with Abeforth's competitor

"That's right folks, the Lightning Lord was slain in battle! Dropped dead on the spot after standing toe to to with a dire badger. And why, you may ask? Why due to shoddy craftsmanship on this so called, 'enchanted' robe from Abeforth's Apothecary. Don't be fooled by the popular option. Instead, trust your life to Wizened William's Wards and Wands, for whatever your wizard wants!"

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

CzarChasm posted:

If he dies, Skeever has to strike a deal with Abeforth's competitor

"That's right folks, the Lightning Lord was slain in battle! Dropped dead on the spot after standing toe to to with a dire badger. And why, you may ask? Why due to shoddy craftsmanship on this so called, 'enchanted' robe from Abeforth's Apothecary. Don't be fooled by the popular option. Instead, trust your life to Wizened William's Wards and Wands, for whatever your wizard wants!"

An Enchanter turf war?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

CobiWann posted:

An Enchanter turf war?

Well, I mean, that's what I'd do. I'm the guy who goes into Mass Effect and all of a sudden every shop is "my favorite store on the citadel". Hmm...I wonder if there is some sort of similar illusion spell you could conjure up in front of a shop like an animated cigar store Indian.

I mean, really, the trick is to have a different adventurer on the team endorse a different shop for a discount. Neither person can go into the competitor's store. Have it be an ongoing sub-plot until some kind of gladiatorial battle between the shop champions to determine the best shop in the land is held.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Everyone with their supplier's name prominent on their gear and clothes.

Then they can have a battle of the brands.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

CzarChasm posted:

I mean, really, the trick is to have a different adventurer on the team endorse a different shop for a discount. Neither person can go into the competitor's store. Have it be an ongoing sub-plot until some kind of gladiatorial battle between the shop champions to determine the best shop in the land is held.

goatface posted:

CobiWann, you know what to do.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Reading CobiWann's posts makes me understand all the responses I got back when I was posting stories from our Star Wars game.

It is awesome, is what I'm saying.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

goatface posted:

This cannot stop until every adventurer in the group looks like a NASCAR suit:

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Reading CobiWann's posts makes me understand all the responses I got back when I was posting stories from our Star Wars game.

It is awesome, is what I'm saying.

Yes, sometimes this thread can be magic.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Sep 1, 2016

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew
I found a copy of Oriental Adventures AD&D first edition used at my local card shop and picked it up. I showed it off to my friend Zach and he said he wanted to be a Wu-Jen Ninja. Not knowing what that was I read up a bit on in in the book that I just acquired. I liked the different classes, each got a Ki-ability, and the honor system. I thought I would just pick up those ideas and drop it into a AD&D 2nd edition frame work and just go from there.

Was going to have three players, Zach as Wu-jen Ninja, Elizabeth as a Yakuza, and Alex I told could be a basic 2nd edition fighter. Alex did not think that was funny. After having dealt with my buddy in several previous games and his habit of railroading I did not feel he deserved to be a special class and if he wanted to play he could just be a fighter.

We got together and made Zach and Elizabeth’s characters. Alex as still fuming about being a samurai or bushi or anything but “just a fighter.” After a couple of hours we had Zach and Elizabeth good to go and Alex talked me into borrowing the Oriental Adventures book. He made up a bushi that I was pretty ok with, he did go all in on having mouth needles and figured I could DM fiat that he couldn’t talk with the needles in his mouth, so a win-win.

But when we actually got together to play, Alex had his own ideas of how the game world was going to work. Alex had read up all about martial arts in the Oriental Adventures book and wanted fighting modes. That was asking me to take a 1st edition rules set and apply it to 2nd and that was just too much work for me so I said no, we are just using the classes and weapons. The story was supposed to be the PCs looking for a runaway Yakuza and I asked them how they wanted to start. Alex had this whole plan how he was going to apprentice a sword smith and make himself a master work katana. I told him that was not possible and we get into a big argument about what his character can do and what his character cannot do. I just picked up my books and we never played that game again.

I did get my revenge on Alex. Alex was DMing and I just turned level 5 as a Halfling rogue. The big loot I had acquired was a 1000gp gem. I went back to town and started to craft “Hell on Wheels.” Zach the paladin had picked carpentry and engineering as proficiencies. We drafted plans for a battle wagon that instead of having fixed axles, each wheel would have it’s own axel and brake. We figured out lock brakes. Cars advertise anti-lock brakes that wont stick. We made lock brakes that would lock our wheels in places. We also were rigging up a system to unhook the horses and then use the lock brakes to stop the battle wagon when needed. Between the 4 PCs we had like 3000+ copper pieces and I talked them into melting it down to reinforce the wheels and create plating for the sides. We made gun ports on the side to shoot crossbows from cover and were working on a system to drop caltrops on approaching foes. All 4 PCs were super engaged and we were all ready to take “Hell on Wheels” out for a spin when Alex was like, “I can’t DM that!” What a tosser, he stopped that game there.

We both give each other poo poo over it still. He will say something like, X+Y would be a cool class combination, to which I say, “that is cool but not Wu-Jen Ninja cool.”

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

No Luck Needed posted:

I found a copy of Oriental Adventures AD&D first edition used at my local card shop and picked it up. I showed it off to my friend Zach and he said he wanted to be a Wu-Jen Ninja. Not knowing what that was I read up a bit on in in the book that I just acquired. I liked the different classes, each got a Ki-ability, and the honor system. I thought I would just pick up those ideas and drop it into a AD&D 2nd edition frame work and just go from there.

Was going to have three players, Zach as Wu-jen Ninja, Elizabeth as a Yakuza, and Alex I told could be a basic 2nd edition fighter. Alex did not think that was funny. After having dealt with my buddy in several previous games and his habit of railroading I did not feel he deserved to be a special class and if he wanted to play he could just be a fighter.

We got together and made Zach and Elizabeth’s characters. Alex as still fuming about being a samurai or bushi or anything but “just a fighter.” After a couple of hours we had Zach and Elizabeth good to go and Alex talked me into borrowing the Oriental Adventures book. He made up a bushi that I was pretty ok with, he did go all in on having mouth needles and figured I could DM fiat that he couldn’t talk with the needles in his mouth, so a win-win.

But when we actually got together to play, Alex had his own ideas of how the game world was going to work. Alex had read up all about martial arts in the Oriental Adventures book and wanted fighting modes. That was asking me to take a 1st edition rules set and apply it to 2nd and that was just too much work for me so I said no, we are just using the classes and weapons. The story was supposed to be the PCs looking for a runaway Yakuza and I asked them how they wanted to start. Alex had this whole plan how he was going to apprentice a sword smith and make himself a master work katana. I told him that was not possible and we get into a big argument about what his character can do and what his character cannot do. I just picked up my books and we never played that game again.

I did get my revenge on Alex. Alex was DMing and I just turned level 5 as a Halfling rogue. The big loot I had acquired was a 1000gp gem. I went back to town and started to craft “Hell on Wheels.” Zach the paladin had picked carpentry and engineering as proficiencies. We drafted plans for a battle wagon that instead of having fixed axles, each wheel would have it’s own axel and brake. We figured out lock brakes. Cars advertise anti-lock brakes that wont stick. We made lock brakes that would lock our wheels in places. We also were rigging up a system to unhook the horses and then use the lock brakes to stop the battle wagon when needed. Between the 4 PCs we had like 3000+ copper pieces and I talked them into melting it down to reinforce the wheels and create plating for the sides. We made gun ports on the side to shoot crossbows from cover and were working on a system to drop caltrops on approaching foes. All 4 PCs were super engaged and we were all ready to take “Hell on Wheels” out for a spin when Alex was like, “I can’t DM that!” What a tosser, he stopped that game there.

We both give each other poo poo over it still. He will say something like, X+Y would be a cool class combination, to which I say, “that is cool but not Wu-Jen Ninja cool.”

Both of those stories are straight out of the 2013 version of Journey to the West (now on netflix)

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew
Here is a kinda sad sorry of a piss-cat man. When I started playing magic the gathering at local cards shops I was like 14 and ages ranged from mid school to adult. One of the piss-cat smelling dudes named Wendell was always a nice guy, worked fast-food jobs, had bad hygiene, and went a few cycles in between laundry. People would pick on him and he was like, "oh hum, I don't care, I play the decks I want to play." One day he was all jazzed about some Dark Sun box set he picked up cheap and was looking for players. I talked my buddy James into playing and along with a cool kid, very well ranked MTG player, John we played two sessions of Dark Sun with Wendell.

It was great fun, I got to be hobgolin ranger and by the end of the second adventure I had upgraded to a stone axe from a bone dagger and had like 6 gords of water. I felt like I was rich. John and James didn't want to play with Wendell because of the smell. At this point I had been playing Arena league pretty regular (this is before Friday Night Magic), I would travel out of town for pre releases, PTQs, and once to a GP and well got kinda use to 50% of magic players being in the piss-cat man realm. I do not remember if it was John or James but one of them said they could feel themselves getting dirtier playing with him. The whole store busted up laughing.

Cut maybe 10 years later, I go into the card shop for an Eternal Masters draft (first draft I had done since Conspiracy 1) and I found Wendell in the back playing in the Pathfinder Society with a handful of other piss-cat people. Glad he found a RPG group.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

You said Wendell and all I could picture was

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

The question was "When has a language barrier ever been good in a game?" It was pretty great the very first D&D game I ever played.

I tagged along to a 2nd Ed AD&D game with two of my buddies I played 40K with. It was a one-off with those two, another player I'd never met and a GM I'd never met.

Character creation was really quick since I think they came with 1st level characters and we generated my character with an interview and some dice rolls. I ended up an Elf Ranger with 18/96 strength, a bow and a pair of swords. We had a human druid and 2 human Barbarians.

The quick back story was the 2 Barbarians were from the same tribe and only spoke some sort of "ancient dialect". I knew the druid because he was some sort of inept nerd who fell into one of my pit traps and I followed him around when he was in MY forest to keep him from getting himself killed. I only spoke Elven but he knew a bunch of languages.

We met the Barbarians when they were fighting some "green skinned humanoids". I knew the green guys were jerks because they kept "loving up poo poo in MY forest". That meant the other guys were probably cool.

My idiot Druid friend entangled everyone else and I shot arrows at the green guys. Combat ended with the green guys dead, my idiot Druid and one of the Barbarians unconscious. I got to pantomime and make up nonsense words to try to communicate with the other Barbarian, so not the guy I knew. It was hella fun.

Barbarian to GM: So, did they give us any healing items when we left our tribe?

GM: Sure. The tribe's Shaman gave you a "healing stone". (It's actually actually a block of rock salt. Every time someone in your tribe gets injured, the Shaman rubs this all over your wounds. Eventually you heal up.)

Barbarian: Great! I pull out the rock salt and rub it all over my companion's wounds.

GM: Awesome. No effect.

Barbarian: All right! I look super satisfied and offer it to the Elf.

Me: Shrug. I take the rock salt and rub it into the Druid's wounds.

GM: The Druid goes into shock and starts dying harder. The Barbarians are used to this since they've had salt rubbed into their wounds since birth.

Me: nod approvingly and hand the salt back to the Barbarian.

Eventually the Druid stabilizes, everyone becomes conscious and we go on to fight some more Orcs and then a troll in the next session but it doesn't turn into a campaign or anything.

That happens later with the derpy druid as DM and two other 40K buddies as PCs. We played a couple of short campaigns and then an AD&D Birthright game that was awesome and lasted a year and a half. The closest I've come to recreating the awesomeness of that Birthright game was when I ran Kingmaker for a completely different group. That also lasted about a year and a half but we didn't even finish book 2 of that adventure path before we lost most of the group to life.

And that's why I play tabletop RPGs.

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew
When I was like a junior in high school I got into the RPGA system. I believe before Hasbro bought Wizards, Wizards ran the Arena League for MTG and the Role Playing Game Association for D&D and Alternity (modern d20 before modern d20). I forget all their names but a kid from the rival high school would also DM and two kids from the private Catholic school would DM as well. So the four of us and the card shop owner would take turns being DM and run these stand alone adventures coming from Wizards.

One of my buddies had a study hall teacher that let us all hang out in his room and play D&D if we wanted. One day we get approached by this foreign exchange student from Brazil and asks if he can play D&D with us. Of course we would welcome anyone but our long standing Birthright game wasn't really accessible to a new level 1 player so I invited him to RPGA. I went and picked him up from his host family's house and spent the easily five hours at the card shop. I was the DM and wished I had a copy of that adventure because it was a blast.

The guy from Brazil choose to play as the only wizard and was super useful in knowing when to use the few spells that an AD&D wizard has. I thought he was doing a bang up job but when the fight with the Big Bad came, the monster saved against a color spray and a flame sphere did minimal damage. After missing on a Melf Acid Arrow attack, he declared, "I am the worst weeezard" in a broken Brazil-English accent. Cracked everyone up. He only was able to play one more time with us because he was in soccer and other sports and our MTG/D&D night was Friday.

I also played Shadowrun with another exchange student from Germany where he was more familiar with a straight cyber punk game. It was always funny when Chris would get mad and start cussing about how stupid it is to have magic in a world of high technology. "How does a loving spell stop my 2-ton car from moving?" Because it's magic? "Bullshit!"

side note -- the guy who ran Sahdowrun, Jordan, would make fun of you if you referred to him as the Dungeon Master. "I am not here to excite you sexual, I am not the dungeon master, I am the game master or narrator."

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
So I thought I’d put a post up because my 13th Age group is starting to click with Icons. I may go back and transcribe earlier sessions later for some fun theme battles but I thought our last session was one of our best.

So first a few notes on the campaign:

Its a homebrew setting with a big emphasis on true names. If enough people believe in a name or title it can grant power.

The Cast

Bast Silvertinker: Spell Fist Sorcerer who was an Icon in a past age. Has an impeccable memory but all his Intel is from millennia ago. Sorcery used as a Bender style martial art.Sometimes hinges plans on allies that are long dead or turned. Wants to be an Icon once more. One Unique Thing: Fallen Icon who remembers the world that was. Played by L.

Brindlewick Glitterglim Autumngloom Brandygold: Gnome Nimblejack of the Autumn Court. Essentially a sanctioned con artist who cheats people out of things like their names/riches/first born sons via games of chance. Wizard/Commander due to stealing a piece of a wizard's name. One Unique Thing: Said Wizard got pissed and struck the letters G-O-L-D from his name, dooming him to perpetual poverty. Played by me.

Cale the Wanderer: Necromancer who has walked the world for untold years. Accompanied by a dead-eyed girl wearing a white dress. Wields a large tome of forbidden knowledge. Wants to be an Icon because evil Wizard. J plays him as a fairly secretive character so I don't actually know his One Unique Thing.

Ellielle: Disgraced Shield Maiden, Half-Elf Fighter. Reserved warrior who was ejected from her Coalition, likely due to her Half-Elf heritage. Fights with a pair of shields, one of which is a weird clockwork chainsaw. One Unique Thing: Only Half-Elf of this age(a bad thing due to in world bigotry). Played by O.

Polo: Halfling Ranger/Cleric accompanied by Tori the Tiger. Polo is the only survivor of a massacre at his village. The attack presumably was staged to capture Tori, the tribe's sacred tiger. Polo is currently carrying a throwing knife inscribed with the Big Bads true name, the only weapon that can put her down permanently. One Unique Thing: Survived the massacre of his tribe. Played by A.

Apex: Clockwork doomsday weapon created by an exiled Icon. Began the game as a wolf robot that entered the campaign by killing her Warden, beating the poo poo out of the party, and eating a Dragon's name when we had to take a Campaign Loss. Has beaten one Icon and absorbed part of his name. Is currently hunting another Icon who eats the sins associated with wicked names. Is currently taking the form of a beautiful woman. The party still sees her as a weird robot.

Most of the Icons are custom. This story mostly revolves around The Nation of Grog. Grog is the greatest fighter anywhere, and mostly wanders the world laying waste to champions and pillaging everything in sight.

Because of his reputation as the Best Fighter Anywhere Grog’s True Name has ascended and granted him the power of a king. But since he's a lawless Orc the Nation of Grog is just whatever space his followers occupy.

The Nation of Grog is surprisingly diverse. The downtrodden members of nearly every race are attracted to a large group of might makes right. To join the Nation you have to change your true name to Grog Junior, the only legal name in the Nation besides Grog himself. Do this and you become part of the humanoid army ant swarm that is the Nation of Grog.

Grog is part Orc Lord, part Diabolist, a horde of Grog Juniors has the same impact as a Hellhole, just less demon sorcery and more perpetual rioting. The only thing keeping Grog from running the world is the fact that his Nation has zero organization.

Back to the session, our party reached the city of Amberfront, where Apex was trying to marry and breed with the king. Several Fey Emissaries, a master Tinkerer and a vision from the Void(other Icons) have told us that if she does that it'll be like the clockwork wolf version of Species and everyone will be hosed.

After some time in the Fey Realm and an Endless Void(lead to multiclassing via story/the Cleric ditching) we track down a means to keep Apex from regenerating. We all gear up and set off to take out the wolf.

Our initial attempt to expose Apex goes badly. She's got influence and we're nobodies. The king is enamored and won't hear anyone badmouthing his bride to be. It doesn't help that he sees a warrior princess hottie and we see the assassin robot from Tranformers: Revenge of the Fallen.

Upon discovering us Apex sets up an ambush of frenzy drones. Cale runs crowd control while Brindle locks down the mind controller lurking in the shadows. Eventually Ellielle, Bast and Polo beat everything down. At this point Apex floods the chamber with lava/molten metal and we're forced to retreat through the sewers, resulting in a tense skill challenge as Apex thought to seal the exits and the lava was filling the chamber.

After we escape Bast burns an Icon to see if he knows of any potential allies or accomplices in the area. Since it was a 5 the DM determined that the only nearby army was a small horde of Grog Juniors. We discuss strategy and ultimately decide the Grog Juniors will at least distract Apex long enough to get us into the chapel to break up the wedding.

The Horde is in a dummy town away from the main roads. The party recognizes what it is. Since The Nation of Grog is attracted to mayhem and nigh unbeatable, a siege or military encounter against them is a really stupid idea. The easiest way to deal with them is for people to set up town facades stocked with booze and breakable objects, hoping to lure the Hordes away from anything important. The party figures the Grog Juniors are stupid and will just listen to either Brindle’s fast talk or Bast’s presence of character. We were mistaken.

When we meet the Juniors they immediately ask our names. We try to bluff our way through, only to be thrown into an initiation brawl with about 20 mooks, some quick monster with a sword, and a Minotaur that starts combat by charging and staggering Ellielle.

We roll initiative and Polo sends in Tori and lays down support fire. Bast Gathers Power and Cale tells me to leave the mooks alive for him. I turn and cast Confusion on the Minotaur. Cale closes by burning his Icon to knock out a few mooks with non-lethal damage and puppeteering the corpses around.

The round plays out, Tori is in bad shape, a quick heal saves Ellielle and Initiative rolls over. The Minotaur scatters an entire group of Mooks with a charge and fails his save, Bast burns down another group by rolling high with a breath weapon. A bunch of enemies charge me and catch a Crescendo for their troubles. Meanwhile half the party is tagged several times by a psychic attack that convinces the target that their name is Grog Junior.

The party rallies and turns the momentum of the battle. The Minotaur pulps a few more of his friends and makes his save, Ellielle tags the sword monster and is locking it down. Polo starts pelting the psychic artillery and Cale uses his minions as a barrier to keep himself and Bast safe. Leaving me alone on the field with a pissed off Minotaur that might outright kill me if he charges.

I'm looking at my character sheet trying to find an out. I have one daily spell that I'll need for Apex, a useless tactic, my at-wills and no Command Points. Then I notice I still have an Icon. I cash it in.

Brindle and the Minotaur circle each other for a moment. The tiny Gnome suddenly squares himself, grips his cane and bellows, “I… am… Grog… JUNIOOOOOR!!!” and charges. There's a poof of smoke and in place of the Gnome is a roaring Minotaur wielding an oversized cane and wearing Brindle’s signature top hat.

As the two Minotaur collide I fire off Crescendo. The Brindletaur swings away…

… natural 20.

The real Minotaur is hurled across the arena as a massive thundercrack silences the crowd. Another poof of smoke turns Brindle back into his normalI ml self in the middle of a hushed mob. He raises his cane over his head and the crowd begins chanting his name…

… “Grog Junior! Grog Junior! Grog Junior!”

The Grog Juniors crowd surf us to our victory rager, which involves a lot of drinking, boasting, breaking windows, and the frustrating realization that the only proper nouns Grog Juniors can read or even comprehend are “Grog” and “Junior”.

Next time: The party herds a riot, Brindle gets hoisted by his own petard and a Berserker gets beat to death by a gothy nerd swinging a book. If people are into it I may try to cover earlier stuff, but I'd have to sift through a lot of notes and talk to the other players as it's been a while.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

More of this please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

the_steve posted:

More of this please.