Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

it turns out my refund is hostage in the psn store so i will probably just rebuy the game in november

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The people who don't have internet or good internet for that matter, are also not playing video games and don't care, so the no internet argument doesn't hold up.

I just finished watching Kingsglaive and it was a cool Final Fantasy movie, but loaded with a lot of pacing issues and weird editing. A monster from Final Fantasy VI makes a cameo and it's the best part of the film speaking as a life long Final Fantasy fan.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

I said come in! posted:

The people who don't have internet or good internet for that matter, are also not playing video games and don't care, so the no internet argument doesn't hold up.

You'd be surprised. I lived in a backwater town with lovely internet for over a decade. Some of my friends still live there, and they still don't have broadband better than 40kb/s DSL. Even that isn't available to half the town. Most have decent paying jobs, and they buy 40-60" LEDs and consoles and sometimes PCs. But the internet's still bad because it's a big deal when one of the two gas stations in town gets an automatic door.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Why in the world would you think that? There are plenty of places where good internet straight-up isn't available, that doesn't mean people there don't play video games. There are plenty of people on these forums who play video games despite having internet bandwith caps. (You see it come up somewhat regularly in threads where people get upset about 10gb patches and stuff.)

We're also in an era where there are people who use their phones or tablets or the like as their primary source of internet and don't have much reason to get a dedicated internet line when they can do everything they need to on their smartphone. I have several co-workers who only use their phone for the internet outside of work for example. (And while several of them have laptops they just tether their laptop to their phone which is a literal one-button affair these days and isn't a great choice for downloading game patches.)

There's also, y'know, people in the military or otherwise in situations where they have access to game consoles for relaxation but not dedicated high-speed internet for downloading game patches.

Even Sony's own numbers suggest between 5-10% of PS4 owners literally never connected their PS4 to the internet for a variety of reasons. That's a ground line even before you assume bad or limited internet. It's not the majority by any means but nobody was arguing that it was.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Aug 30, 2016

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I said come in! posted:

Do they have a final fantasy for those people?

Yes FF 360

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I said come in! posted:

I mean, if they don't have fast enough internet, can we even really call them human?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Ometeotl posted:

I mean, if they don't have fast enough internet, can we even really call them human?

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
You know, Tabata has been refreshingly open about the development and delays the game has been getting, what with him openly saying that the framerate was not up to snuff.

Out ofeverything I have seen from the game so far it seems like the thing they have been nailing the most has been the characterization of the main cast. It is kinda funny to me because Tabata has gone on record of saying that when he first started work on the game he absolutely hated Noctis because there was no character there at all, and one of his big goals was to make Noctis relatable.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Black Mage Knight posted:

Tabata has gone on record of saying that when he first started work on the game he absolutely hated Noctis because there was no character there at all, and one of his big goals was to make Noctis relatable.

Smart move: remember how many people dropped FFXII because Vaan was an annoying twerp?

Edit: Justice Monsters Five is up on the Play Store, assume the same is true for the iOS App Store.

Die Sexmonster! fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Aug 30, 2016

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Anyone who has played a jRPG besides Final Fantasy has probably put up with worse characters than Vaan.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Black Mage Knight posted:

You know, Tabata has been refreshingly open about the development and delays the game has been getting, what with him openly saying that the framerate was not up to snuff.

Out ofeverything I have seen from the game so far it seems like the thing they have been nailing the most has been the characterization of the main cast. It is kinda funny to me because Tabata has gone on record of saying that when he first started work on the game he absolutely hated Noctis because there was no character there at all, and one of his big goals was to make Noctis relatable.

If Noctis turns out anything like the way he's been characterized in Brotherhood he's on the fast track to becoming one of my favorite FF leads. He's broody without being obnoxious about it, since he's really just awful at expressing himself and prefers to keep his mouth shut rather than risk making a fool of himself, he's not an rear end to the people around him, and I never get bored of his narcolepsy.

In the latest episode I cracked up when the gang checked into a hotel room and Noctis was already curled up in bed, under the covers and fully dressed, before the others even got to comment on the drapes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A Final Fantasy lead who has any personality at all would already be in the top 5.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cloud has multiple so that makes him number 1

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Kingsglaive is now out digitally! Now everyone an enjoy a great movie a pretty ok 2-hour intro cutscene to a game!

https://itunes.apple.com/se/movie/kingsglaive-final-fantasy-xv/id1117616615?mt=6&ign-mpt=uo%3D4

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Terper posted:

Kingsglaive is now out digitally! Now everyone an enjoy a great movie a pretty ok 2-hour intro cutscene to a game!

https://itunes.apple.com/se/movie/kingsglaive-final-fantasy-xv/id1117616615?mt=6&ign-mpt=uo%3D4
What the gently caress, it's over a month until it's out on Blu-ray. Guess they prefer the higher profit margin?

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Zidane had a pretty distinct, if a bit simple, personality. Barrett could've been a good protagonist in his own game vs. Shinra if they had dropped the Cloud/Sephiroth angle and fleshed him out more - he never really grows much from where he starts out unfortunately. But I always liked him the most of the FF7 people.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Smart move: remember how many people dropped FFXII because Vaan was an annoying twerp?

Edit: Justice Monsters Five is up on the Play Store, assume the same is true for the iOS App Store.

I'm not sure where that comes from. Vaan is incredibly inoffensive for a JRPG character if we ignore his rock hard abs.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

ufarn posted:

What the gently caress, it's over a month until it's out on Blu-ray. Guess they prefer the higher profit margin?

If anything it made me realize I don't care about the lower tier special edition of the game because I'll just watch the movie now instead of waiting for the game to have it.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

WaltherFeng posted:

I'm not sure where that comes from. Vaan is incredibly inoffensive for a JRPG character if we ignore his rock hard abs.

Don't believe Ondore's lies!

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

High Five for Justice! :hfive:

Only finished the tutorial, but JMV is fun so far. Can't go much further right now because I guess i should be working or something, like a real adult. :shrug:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

morallyobjected posted:

Don't believe Ondore's lies!

"Vaan, we need you to be the most obnoxious person possible to attract the attention of the underground resistance cells."
"Oh my god Vaan is so annoying doing dumb poo poo like this!"

EDIT: One more point in the delays favor, my ISP finally remembered they needed to actually be calculating how much data usage I was using, so my internet went from 0GB each month to 155 in a night shooting right through my data limit. I wouldn't be able to download a Day One Path like this.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
So Kingsglaive released digitially today around midnight-ish, so I bought it and watched it. I enjoyed it, I thought it was fun and good and very cool.

The Old Wall was really, really cool!

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Better to watch it with English or Japanese voice-over? Doesn't look like Japanese is even available for the iTunes version - even though I'm waiting for it on Blu-ray.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I don't think the Japanese dub is available.

Anyway, some of the English performances are really strong, some are quite errrr. The Japanese dub isn't lip-synced so it might come across as weird, and I've heard complaints of Luna's performance. If you can choose, then go for the one in the language you're planning on playing in, I guess.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
My usually trustworthy friend who saw it in theaters the other day made it out to be the worst steaming pile of poo poo that ever saw the light of day, with tales of the audience actively booing the movie after it ended.

I just watched it digitally, and I actually liked it quite a bit. It's not going to win any Oscars anytime soon, but it was pretty engaging and much better than Advent Children.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
I Love Libertus' English voice. It is so goddamn bad.

"MUY AHSSSS!!!"

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Yeah, it was a good movie, and I enjoyed it. But I think I'm beyond all hope because during one of the big battles near the end I caught myself thinking "in terms of power levels, Cloud Strife probably shits all over these guys".

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Gologle posted:

I think I'm beyond all hope

You're certainly not a quick learner.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Terper, since you've seen the movie well in advance, since it was a little unclear to me was the Old Wall literally the spirits of the kings of Lucis defending their country, or just automatons in their image that Nyx animated with the ring's power? I want to talk about it since so far, until the game is out, the thread doesn't have a lot of concrete stuff to discuss.

Also those giant monsters were Ultima Weapons, right? They definitely resemble a Final Fantasy monster, but I can't for the life of me place my thumb on what it is they're supposed to be referencing.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Gologle posted:

Terper, since you've seen the movie well in advance, since it was a little unclear to me was the Old Wall literally the spirits of the kings of Lucis defending their country, or just automatons in their image that Nyx animated with the ring's power? I want to talk about it since so far, until the game is out, the thread doesn't have a lot of concrete stuff to discuss.

Also those giant monsters were Ultima Weapons, right? They definitely resemble a Final Fantasy monster, but I can't for the life of me place my thumb on what it is they're supposed to be referencing.

I just got done with the credits, actually!

Well, we saw their statues littered throughout Insomnia throughout the movie, so I think it's their magic/spirits making them move thanks to Nyx channeling them. Also, in case you missed it, they were literally the Knights of the Round. There are 13 knights in KOTR. Final Fantasy: Versus 13.

And yeah, definitely Ultima Weapon.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Is itunes the only place to watch Kingsglaive?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
http://www.kingsglaivefinalfantasyxv-movie.com/site/

Here's the website with a whole bunch of links to places you can get it. I was surprised how mediocre Google Play was, I'm not certain that poo poo was even 720p, it looked 480p, so maybe go for another source.

EDIT: And yeah, I totally caught that, Terper. It was super sweet.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

It wasn't a very good movie, but it was a lot of nice cutscenes strung together.

By that I mean like, every time they panned over an area I expected to see like "Insomnia: Lower Slums" appear in a pretty title bar, because they were shot like video game cutscenes.

I liked Nyx a lot, at least. My only real beef with Kingsglaive was that the action was hard to follow sometimes since his main skill was teleportation and people were BAMF'ing all over the drat place while the camera spun in circles trying to catch up to them.

I feel like I didn't really understand what the hell was up with the bait and switch on the princess. Like, ok, evil empire has her, offers her as a marriage trophy. Lucis wants to have the marriage but like, off somewhere else, for... reasons??? I guess so they can get away and live in exile or something? Sent Crowe to free her, probably, when Crowe was murdered. Evil emperor shows up to sign the treaty, sends princess away to the airships... but if she's not there (and neither is Noctis) the whole thing was obviously a sham from the beginning??? I guess both kings knew that though. Also why the gently caress was Ultros on that airship?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
The daemons are supernatural creatures that only appear in the night, who are all the classic Final Fantasy monsters. Notice how Ultros starts smoking in the light of day, they were probably kept captive on board those airships until nightfall to be unleashed as living weapons

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Being told they had to postpone the Blu-ray release because they caught a bug before it went gold.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

mistaya posted:

It wasn't a very good movie, but it was a lot of nice cutscenes strung together.

By that I mean like, every time they panned over an area I expected to see like "Insomnia: Lower Slums" appear in a pretty title bar, because they were shot like video game cutscenes.

I liked Nyx a lot, at least. My only real beef with Kingsglaive was that the action was hard to follow sometimes since his main skill was teleportation and people were BAMF'ing all over the drat place while the camera spun in circles trying to catch up to them.

I feel like I didn't really understand what the hell was up with the bait and switch on the princess. Like, ok, evil empire has her, offers her as a marriage trophy. Lucis wants to have the marriage but like, off somewhere else, for... reasons??? I guess so they can get away and live in exile or something? Sent Crowe to free her, probably, when Crowe was murdered. Evil emperor shows up to sign the treaty, sends princess away to the airships... but if she's not there (and neither is Noctis) the whole thing was obviously a sham from the beginning??? I guess both kings knew that though. Also why the gently caress was Ultros on that airship?

I mean, you basically answered your own questions! Everyone knew the whole thing was a sham, but they didn't know to what extent and how they would go about their betrayal, so they could really only go with the punches. Regis felt like he owed Luna since he was unable to save them (and both she and Noctis are important to THE PROFECY), and Aldercapt exploited this to get the Kingsglaive out of the city. That's about it.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?
In the movie, Luna often talks about her destiny, and how about she is not afraid to die. What is het destiny, since I didn't catch them outright mentioning it?
Also, Regis's best friend Clarus is the father/family member of Gladio (both are from the Amicitia (friendship in Latin) family).
Another thing: How does the empire control their monsters/daemons?.

Finally, I won't say which one, but based on the first hours of the game, one character in particular seems to be moving all over the place.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Terper posted:

I mean, you basically answered your own questions! Everyone knew the whole thing was a sham, but they didn't know to what extent and how they would go about their betrayal, so they could really only go with the punches. Regis felt like he owed Luna since he was unable to save them (and both she and Noctis are important to THE PROFECY), and Aldercapt exploited this to get the Kingsglaive out of the city. That's about it.

Sure, but... if that's true why the hell are Noctis and Luna still getting married?

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I guess it just felt like there was more to it than that. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Pennfalath posted:

Another thing: How does the empire control their monsters/daemons?.
They seemed to have tech built into them. You could see it when they were tracking Luna's hairclip.

• Locked thread