Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Phlegmish posted:

It's honestly quite rare for fights to last longer than ten seconds in Chiv. If both players are skilled enough to reliably parry and riposte instead of just bashing into each other, usually at least one of them will also be experienced enough to know tricks like feinting, dragging, rainbow overheads or just plain forcing a miss by moving backwards or out of the way. Relying solely on straightforward parry-ripostes is not enough against a good player. I guess I can see a blockfest happening when both players happen to be intermediate in terms of skill, though.
Its been a while okay :(

EDIT- I looked up what dragging was and gross
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78EADyieS8U
Is this what high level play looks like? Meta ruins everything.

Man Whore has a new favorite as of 07:24 on Aug 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010
I feel like surprise is unwarranted but seriously, there's a "pro" chiv scene? That looks like the least fun thing

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I'm playing Tokyo Mirage Sessions, and while I quite like the game the menu is really bugging me - the fact that every time I open it, there's a little loading screen, means I never want to open it unless I absolutely have to.

This dragged down Xenosaga Ep 1 for me too (among many other things). When I open a menu, especially in an RPG, it needs to be snappy. Witcher 3 has an inventory system that actually needs to load between tabs, which is crazy.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Man Whore posted:

EDIT- I looked up what dragging was and gross
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78EADyieS8U
Is this what high level play looks like? Meta ruins everything.

If you play Chiv in 2016 on any given TO server half the people will be level 50+'s doing all that stuff. I think most of them don't even set out to be 'pro', it just comes naturally from playing for an insane amount of time

Morpheus posted:

When I open a menu, especially in an RPG, it needs to be snappy. Witcher 3 has an inventory system that actually needs to load between tabs, which is crazy.

Yeah, by the end of TW3 the lag became really noticeable every time I opened my junk tab. Really jarring when the rest of the game ran smooth as butter on my rig.

Phlegmish has a new favorite as of 17:35 on Aug 30, 2016

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
LISA: The Joyful is way too easy, even if you don't use Joy. The only fight I really had any trouble with was the fight with Sindy Gallows, but that was about it.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Phlegmish posted:

If you play Chiv in 2016 on any given TO server half the people will be level 50+'s doing all that stuff. I think most of them don't even set out to be 'pro', it just comes naturally from playing for an insane amount of time

Man, I've played Chiv before, but what the hell is up with that FOV?

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

ilmucche posted:

Never played the standalone version, but I play far too much Warband. Ultra-restrictive POV is the only way to play. If that game had sight-restricting helmets, I'd be more into it. Somehow.

Content: More games need to fully commit to helmets and such, like Metroid Prime or SW: Republic Commando. It's not just for my immersion so much as the added consideration of fending something off only to be left nearly, but not completely or uselessly blind for a second or two because of how I did it.

edit for tone: Not enough games do this, and that drags them down.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

The Nevada Project, a mod for Fallout: New Vegas, added different effects for helmets and glasses which took into consideration lens color and durability that seems so intuitive it's surprising it wasn't included in the base game.

*its actually called Project Nevada

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I never understood why Final Fantasy: Tactics Advance made us follow Marche, a wet-blanket who insists it's bad to live a fantasy-world, when he's the player-character in a game advertised as a Fantasy RPG. Imagine if there was a Shooter where the player-character is pacifist-monk who refuses to fight.

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I never understood why Final Fantasy: Tactics Advance made us follow Marche, a wet-blanket who insists it's bad to live a fantasy-world, when he's the player-character in a game advertised as a Fantasy RPG. Imagine if there was a Shooter where the player-character is pacifist-monk who refuses to fight.

See, you say this, but I would pay good money for a game set in WW1 playing as a medic or something who refuses to shoot. Or Doc whassaname from the Gaunt's Ghosts novels. The complaining does sound bad, though, yeah.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Probably because he's in the shittiest drat fantasy world. Judges everywhere sending him to jail and fining him because he had the audacity to wear a blue hat on Thursday and attack with a hammer.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Yeah the main character of the sequel is a lot more into his world and more pumped up to be an RPG main character, probably because his world is a lot cooler.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Polyseme posted:

Never played the standalone version, but I play far too much Warband. Ultra-restrictive POV is the only way to play. If that game had sight-restricting helmets, I'd be more into it. Somehow.

Content: More games need to fully commit to helmets and such, like Metroid Prime or SW: Republic Commando. It's not just for my immersion so much as the added consideration of fending something off only to be left nearly, but not completely or uselessly blind for a second or two because of how I did it.

The Metro series is great for this. Your gas mask gets blood and gunk on it, it fogs up or gets covered in rain, and cracks and shatters if it takes enough damage (leaving you to choke to death if you don't find one on a corpse in five seconds). You can also shoot and shatter the glass on enemy glass masks to leave them to the same fate.

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

RBA Starblade posted:

The Metro series is great for this. Your gas mask gets blood and gunk on it, it fogs up or gets covered in rain, and cracks and shatters if it takes enough damage (leaving you to choke to death if you don't find one on a corpse in five seconds). You can also shoot and shatter the glass on enemy glass masks to leave them to the same fate.

Every time I've tried to play 2033, I've taken to drinking as much as I think Artyom should be. I've never gotten far, but it's fun. With a little less combat and a little more managing suit and supplies I'd just call it a good game, but I hear it stops being so interesting later and becomes a more standard FPS.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Polyseme posted:

Every time I've tried to play 2033, I've taken to drinking as much as I think Artyom should be. I've never gotten far, but it's fun. With a little less combat and a little more managing suit and supplies I'd just call it a good game, but I hear it stops being so interesting later and becomes a more standard FPS.

have u tried out any S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games? it's got more of the survival stuff but without the vision fuckery Metro has when u put on a mask to venture outside.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Metro occasionally threatens to be fun but always ends up being a boring linear corridor shooter and it's extremely depressing, not in the way it tries to be. I have Last Light but I've heard it's the same so I haven't been able to bring myself to try it yet

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Metro occasionally threatens to be fun but always ends up being a boring linear corridor shooter and it's extremely depressing, not in the way it tries to be. I have Last Light but I've heard it's the same so I haven't been able to bring myself to try it yet

I mean, it's in a metro tunnel. :haw:

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

last light has boobies

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

there's a guy who's got plot immunity up until a certain point, and when u can finally kill him the game introduces a morality system just to troll u.

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

Action Tortoise posted:

have u tried out any S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games? it's got more of the survival stuff but without the vision fuckery Metro has when u put on a mask to venture outside.

Yeah, I've got all of them and occasionally throw some time at them. I like the vision fuckery, though.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Len posted:

Probably because he's in the shittiest drat fantasy world. Judges everywhere sending him to jail and fining him because he had the audacity to wear a blue hat on Thursday and attack with a hammer.

I know there was a character who was crippled in real life but could walk in the Final Fantasy world in that game but wasn't it even Marche's own little brother or something? Marche is a huge dick.

EDIT: I have multiple copies of both Metro games across multiple platforms and have only ever fired up the first one for like a half hour...but in my defense I was kinda halfheartedly learning Russian when I bought 'em. I also have a copy of METRO 2035, the latest in the novel series as of last summer (I think?), in Russian.

Rockman Reserve has a new favorite as of 22:03 on Aug 30, 2016

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ryoshi posted:

I know there was a character who was crippled in real life but could walk in the Final Fantasy world in that game but wasn't it even Marche's own little brother or something? Marche is a huge dick.

Marche's little brother gains the ability to walk- or be a warrior or mage or do other cool things- Ritz stops getting bullied for her computer paper-white hair and Mewt's mom comes back to life and his dad stops being an alcoholic and he's the guy in charge of all the judges.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
I loving loved the Metro games, the first one especially. They did a great job with atmosphere and immersion, at least to my sensibilities. Some of my favorite shooters.

But yeah, it's pretty linear, if you aren't enjoying the story and the setting it won't get better. The game play in 1 is rough and frustrating at times, and last light is too easy. I also thought LL tapered off towards the end once you meet up with the Dark one kid and I remember being like "wait that was the last level?" After I beat the invasion part. 1 had a much better climax . The swamp section was incredible though.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I found non-lethal and stealth to be a lot easier in Last Light, so that's an improvement over 2033 if you don't just want to shoot it out. Except for the mandatory combat sections, of which there are a couple.

Action Tortoise posted:

there's a guy who's got plot immunity up until a certain point, and when u can finally kill him the game introduces a morality system just to troll u.

It's there the whole game. You get your first points in like the third or fourth map? While escaping the Nazis.

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

StandardVC10 posted:

I found non-lethal and stealth to be a lot easier in Last Light, so that's an improvement over 2033 if you don't just want to shoot it out. Except for the mandatory combat sections, of which there are a couple.

It's there the whole game. You get your first points in like the third or fourth map? While escaping the Nazis.

Isn't the first available thing the thing with that kid? Feels like a tutorial, that.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Polyseme posted:

Isn't the first available thing the thing with that kid? Feels like a tutorial, that.

yeah, i thought that's where it started. if it's there the whole game, then it doesn't get conveyed ingame until the kid is watching u, imo.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Isn't there a blue flash whenever you gain a moral choice point thing and a red flash whenever you lose one?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Not exactly blue/red flashes but yes there are indications when it happens. Of course last light just chose to throw away all subtlety at the end of the game and announce it to you outright. Probably the biggest thing that drags down last light for me. I really prefer 2033's presentation, even if the gameplay is worse.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

Marche's little brother gains the ability to walk- or be a warrior or mage or do other cool things- Ritz stops getting bullied for her computer paper-white hair and Mewt's mom comes back to life and his dad stops being an alcoholic and he's the guy in charge of all the judges.

Only people Mewt likes get to have cool lives though. The bullies get to be zombies.

though given what they were like they might like being rampaging monsters

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Digirat posted:

Not exactly blue/red flashes but yes there are indications when it happens. Of course last light just chose to throw away all subtlety at the end of the game and announce it to you outright. Probably the biggest thing that drags down last light for me. I really prefer 2033's presentation, even if the gameplay is worse.

To be fair, they couldn't really get away with having the morality system and just not telling you like they did in 2033 because everybody knows now, though there's probably a middle ground somewhere behind the dark one kid going "WOW I LEARNED SOMETHING TODAY".

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Phlegmish posted:

I think it was late last year I got a random itch to reinstall, had a couple of good games, then graduated out of the newb servers and welp.

ilmucche posted:

I've wondered about this a lot, so maybe someone more familiar with Chiv can clarify: Don't crazy FOV/mouse speed shenanigans give a tangible benefit thanks to the way the combat works?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

It's funny that they'll crank up the FOV like that but for some reason 3rd person view is taking it too far and not MLG enough

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Running and dodging in God Eater is balls. Some genius thought it was a great idea to have it so pressing the sprint and dodge button at the same time makes you block. Yeah, cause its not like if you're trying to actively avoid an attack you'll sprint then do a dodge then sprint out of the dodge to get the hell away from whatever it is you're avoiding. So ok, why not just let go of sprint the dodge? Well this kind of works for sprinting then dodging, but you can't dodge then sprint cause there is a split second delay between ending the dodge and starting to move which makes no sense. Is it to prevent constant dodging to avoid damage? But there is already something that does it, the stamina system makes it so you can't constantly sprint/dodge or else you'll get out of breath.

I don't get games that want to have active combat where movement is supposed to be key then makes actual movement tedious

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Leal posted:

Running and dodging in God Eater is balls. Some genius thought it was a great idea to have it so pressing the sprint and dodge button at the same time makes you block. Yeah, cause its not like if you're trying to actively avoid an attack you'll sprint then do a dodge then sprint out of the dodge to get the hell away from whatever it is you're avoiding. So ok, why not just let go of sprint the dodge? Well this kind of works for sprinting then dodging, but you can't dodge then sprint cause there is a split second delay between ending the dodge and starting to move which makes no sense. Is it to prevent constant dodging to avoid damage? But there is already something that does it, the stamina system makes it so you can't constantly sprint/dodge or else you'll get out of breath.

I don't get games that want to have active combat where movement is supposed to be key then makes actual movement tedious

The absolute worst way to cock up your awesome action gameplay is to make it so when you want to dodgeroll you have to hold the guard button, which halts your momentum and speed, then move the analog stick. The PSP god of war games did this hot on the heels of the PS2 games which did not do this.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
I actually like the Metro games but I didn't finish the first one when I got it, only after they released the Redux version and I finished Last Light. You see the thing that ruined 2033 for me the first time around was the crossfire bridge level. It took me forever to get through, I spent hours there trying to do it right only to finally get a perfect stealth run, climb up the ladder on the other side, get stuck and my save corrupts.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

John Murdoch posted:

I think it was late last year I got a random itch to reinstall, had a couple of good games, then graduated out of the newb servers and welp.

I've wondered about this a lot, so maybe someone more familiar with Chiv can clarify: Don't crazy FOV/mouse speed shenanigans give a tangible benefit thanks to the way the combat works?

IIRC, dragging is attacking and moving your view to control where you attack. In Chiv, your sword hits wherever it is located physically so if you swipe left to right, you'll hit stuff on the left first. However, if you swipe left to right and drag left, your attack comes out way later than your opponent expects. The opposite works too, twisting right so the start of your swing is already on the enemy. For overhand chops, you can look down to get to chopping even faster. The larger FOV I think just makes it easier to see where your swing is at and where your opponents are. Also possibly increasing the speed at which you can drag. I used to like Chivalry but all this felt like too much bullshit for me to learn.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Morglon posted:

I actually like the Metro games but I didn't finish the first one when I got it, only after they released the Redux version and I finished Last Light. You see the thing that ruined 2033 for me the first time around was the crossfire bridge level. It took me forever to get through, I spent hours there trying to do it right only to finally get a perfect stealth run, climb up the ladder on the other side, get stuck and my save corrupts.

I distinctly remember that part sucking dick.

The one section near the end with the explosive bubble things was also a slog. The gameplay in 2033 really is pretty bad

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Febreeze posted:

The one section near the end with the explosive bubble things was also a slog. The gameplay in 2033 really is pretty bad

That part sucks really bad if you're low on military grade rounds. The first time I beat the game, I dumped everything I had remaining into that room (which is basically the last room where you actually shoot things anyway), if I had a little less I'd have been hosed.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Leal posted:

They're following the tradition. Every hunter game has to have some boneheaded control decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Polyseme posted:

Bioshock 2 did this and I thought it really added to atmosphere, but it was optional.