Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)
And on my actual team, I kind of want Dempsey to move on (but obviously not in the way he's doing). These offenses and teams built around The Good One just completey fall to pieces when The Good One is gone, as the game against Portland on Sunday showed.

Yes, they can often be reorganized at half time, and be surprising in "garbage time", but I'd rather not go down 4 goals in the first place.

In theory, I should blame the defense more, but like how Keller buoyed them, Dempsey draws marking and extends attacks, which lets the defense take too long to organize. AND Frei saves their asses. Torres might pick it up a bit, but then he may become The Good One but for defense. This used to be Alonso, but he's had to focus up more and I don't think he can get back as quick anymore.

Basically, the Sounders seem to train assuming the first team will always be healthy, and I almost think it'd make more sense to assume the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Isn't Seattle's bigger problem that you had two good players and went down to one who also leaves for extended periods to play with the NT. Seattle doesn't seem as reliant on top stars like say Toronto. Btw it's cool to have the best youth academy in the league and beat people with players no ones heard of before. More teams should start trying it.

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

See ya Doyle everyone thought you were bad. It's probably Wolff and you who are the worst.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

in order for something to be "sexist" doesn't it have to imply that one gender is better than the other or put one down?

oral sex is something pretty much all people do regardless of gender or orientation

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Seltzer posted:

Isn't Seattle's bigger problem that you had two good players and went down to one who also leaves for extended periods to play with the NT. Seattle doesn't seem as reliant on top stars like say Toronto. Btw it's cool to have the best youth academy in the league and beat people with players no ones heard of before. More teams should start trying it.

I'm not sure how the first statement isn't exactly describing "being reliant on top stars."

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

You said the problem the team was built around one good player when it seemed to me that Martins was just as integral to Seattles success. The Dempsey stuff would be less of an issue if he was still around was what I was getting at.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Seltzer posted:

You said the problem the team was built around one good player when it seemed to me that Martins was just as integral to Seattles success. The Dempsey stuff would be less of an issue if he was still around was what I was getting at.

Right, but I consider Martins part of the design around Dempsey. Martins had a level of skill to respond and improvise with Dempsey that most other players in Seattle's attack did and do not. Morris could possibly do that eventually, but I think he's better in a starring role. Lodeiro is the new person fitting in Martins's role, but a lot like Martins without Dempsey, if Dempsey is gone, it's not quite enough.

The hope is that Morris moves in for Dempsey's when Dempsey is gone, but I don't think he's there yet.

I think maybe I've used bad terms, but I feel like Seattle creates too much of a power/strategy gap between its starters and B team. Obviously, at some point having multiple starters out will break the back of any team, but I feel that number is much too low for Seattle.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

TheTrend posted:

See ya Doyle everyone thought you were bad. It's probably Wolff and you who are the worst.

Dom needs to go next, soon. The whole organization is inept. Since 2001 their coaching lineup is Yallop->Kinnear->Watson->Yallop->Kinnear. They've only made the playoffs twice since they came back to SJ 8 years ago. Try something new you loving bozos.

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman

Turdsdown Tom posted:

in order for something to be "sexist" doesn't it have to imply that one gender is better than the other or put one down?

oral sex is something pretty much all people do regardless of gender or orientation

It makes no grammatical sense so it's an insult to my language/people. It's racist.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Gyasi Zardes to miss remainder of 2016 MLS regular season (and upcoming USMNT friendlies/WCQs) with a broken foot.

camoseven fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Aug 30, 2016

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

JayMax posted:

It makes no grammatical sense so it's an insult to my language/people. It's racist.

Mods please change my name to Triggered By Grammar

e: For real though, if you want to call it racist you should at least bring up les filles du roi

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

camoseven posted:

Gyasi Zardes to miss remainder of 2016 MLS regular season (and upcoming USMNT friendlies/WCQs) with a broken foot.

And nothing of value was lost

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

When we fail to score any goals or have any assists off of a player's rear end, you'll be sorry.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Zardes seems like a good kid but after seeing him play for like two years I just can't get excited for him. Heck, even those who cover the USMNT have barely mentioned his absence from the roster for the upcoming WCQs.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Real Name Grover posted:

Zardes seems like a good kid but after seeing him play for like two years I just can't get excited for him. Heck, even those who cover the USMNT have barely mentioned his absence from the roster for the upcoming WCQs.

We're playing St Vincent & the Grenadines and T&T. The only news story here is if we somehow don't win by 5 goals each game.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

We're playing St Vincent & the Grenadines and T&T. The only news story here is if we somehow don't win by 5 goals each game.

I read more upheaval about Hamid not being called up as the third GK than I read about Zardes

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

They better play Kljestan in his proper position if he even manages to get on the field.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Real Name Grover posted:

I read more upheaval about Hamid not being called up as the third GK than I read about Zardes

What do you want? The guy is a bit player, not a super star or tried and true veteran. He plays a position we have plenty of cover for and his skills are fairly replaceable. How many words would be written if Michael Orozco or Edgar Castillo got hurt?

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
I agree, but he has featured pretty heavily for the MNT over the past couple years. Just find it somewhat interesting is all.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Real Name Grover posted:

I agree, but he has featured pretty heavily for the MNT over the past couple years. Just find it somewhat interesting is all.

He also wasn't very good when he did play for the US, so it's not a surprise that few people care.

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

BUT ... all the oxygen is getting soaked up by the controversy over a "Montreal you suck" two stick:

https://twitter.com/ImpactLGBT/status/769929747937845249

In conclusion, BMO field is a land of contrasts. Thank you.

Golden opportunity to use the feels frog and they blew it

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Lol.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

The scarf.... of the future!

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

DC United Soccer Established 1790

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris
someone has finally managed to eclipse seattle in creating faux history for their team

also lol texas education

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Even the idea of having "soccer for 50 years" is so dumb. The US Open Cup has been going on for over 100 years. Nobody other than Seattle and Philadelphia fans cares about it which is a pretty good indicator of its importance.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Shrapnig posted:

Even the idea of having "soccer for 50 years" is so dumb. The US Open Cup has been going on for over 100 years. Nobody other than Seattle and Philadelphia fans cares about it which is a pretty good indicator of its importance.

Hey! Maccabi Los Angeles still cares!

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Tigren posted:

Hey! Maccabi Los Angeles still cares!

Oh look another proponent of the Jewish conspiracy.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
I care. I wish Ben Olsen still cared.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Your Boy Fancy posted:

I care. I wish Ben Olsen still cared.

I'm so glad that my nemesis has become a running joke. Remember that he played a match in the worst World Cup the US has ever played in.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
By all accounts, he's a delightful, self effacing guy. He's genuinely likable and indisputably unqualified for his current job. He was supposed to be an assistant. He could've lived that Josh Wolff life.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/HoustonDynamo/status/772120762136334336

this has not gone well for Houston/MLS

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Your Boy Fancy posted:

By all accounts, he's a delightful, self effacing guy. He's genuinely likable and indisputably unqualified for his current job. He was supposed to be an assistant. He could've lived that Josh Wolff life.

I actually had a decent conversation with Alecko Eskandarian about Olsen when Alecko was with the Union.

He pretty much echoed that sentiment.

Also I just found this article in reference to his Red Bull spit take celebration:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2013/03/12/top-atlantic-cup-moments-how-alecko-eskandarian-came-red-bull-spit-take

The quote from the end of the article is me lol.

quote:

Years later, I ran into a huge Red Bulls fan while I was home in Jersey. He said, “Look, I know who you are, and I was always a huge fan, but I can’t like you because of that celebration. How could you do that as a Jersey guy?”

And I looked at him and I said, “Dude, that celebration was the most Jersey thing I could do.”

He pauses for a second and says, “That’s a great point. I forgive you.”

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
game recognize game, my guido

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
That's a better day than Jaime Moreno drinking my bourbon. We still celebrate the spit take here.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

What's going on with cubo? He doesn't seem that bad a player, does he just hate America?

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Nostradingus posted:

What's going on with cubo? He doesn't seem that bad a player, does he just hate America?

Did Houston ever play him? He seemed like a fantastic player for Chivas USA.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Seltzer posted:

Last season was in the summer for a big chunk of games,

Martins was Injured, Dempsey was suspended and hosed off for the Nat's, Evans also hosed off to the Nat's for a while came back, Alonso was injured, Pappa decided to celebrate crashing out of the Gold Cup by Drunk Driving down I5 with open containers.

This meant the best offensive player in the summer for Seattle was Lamar loving Neagle supported by Chad Barrett. If we just lost 1-2 of those guys we might have been alright, but with all of them gone we were hosed and he was being backed by backups in midfield and defense.

Nostradingus posted:

Cubo was bought before Houston hired Coyle and missed half of Houston's last season in Guadalajara where he maybe raped someone and partied like crazy. He got back to Houston out of shape and Coyle pretty much said gently caress this and just kept playing Bruin. Torres then pretty much jumped at every opportunity to go play with Mexico YNT's and stayed away from the team which wasn't playing him. This season he was mostly in shape and ready for game time, but Coyle is and was an idiot and left him on the bench to rot in favor of others. By the time Wade took over I think the bridges were burnt and CUbo was gone with the Mexico Olympic team so he never really got much of a shot with Wade either.

Cubo is only 23 he probably will end up as a decent maybe even good Liga MX player and stay around the fringes of the MNT.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Sep 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
This has too many sentences for a GDT post so I moved it here.

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Vancouver has completely fallen off this year. They've still got an incredible GK in Ousted, but they've got an attack-ish-minded setup when they can't attack. Like, even if you turtled into Olsenaccio, your ceiling is just sneaking into the playoffs.

Maybe last year was the aberration and this is just regressing to the mean, it's hard to tell really. I think the bigger problem has been that all the bizarre defensive mistakes and suspensions I expected last year when our top CB pairiing was literally Kendall Waston and Pa-Modou Kah instead happened this year, and letting Beitashour leave without replacing him (tbf finding good fullbacks at any level is difficult) means we have an obvious gaping hole at RB that teams have been exploiting all season. Jordan Smith has rapidly surpassed Atiba Harris as My Arch-Nemesis, while Fraser Aird is okay for his age but a) not a fullback and b) has been injured.

But also our creative DP #10 is a year older and showing it so we're relying heavily on longballs and speed (which is one thing we're not short of), while every striker we've had since Camilo was in some way snakebit, and our one effective offensive option broke his foot and was out for the season.

The Espindola trade was really whatever, at least we made a profit out of it which was like the second-best possible outcome, and vastly more likely than his actually coming good. A panic midseason acquisition...well, any one we could realistically get barring a Surprise Bendtner DP Signing was never going to be a sure thing anyway. Might as well write off this season and try again next year, Saturday just made it...well, not official official but frankly close enough.

Hello Towel posted:

If I were asked to name all the teams in MLS in 2 minutes, I bet Vancouver would be the one I miss. They're just totally off my radar.

'Twas ever thus. Vancouver is, somehow, the third wheel on two separate bikes and this year has the added bonus of being A Bad Team (granted all the Cascadia teams are bad this year in their own special way).

• Locked thread