Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Smythe posted:

where is the games thread i cant find it

this is a tread for people to talk about loving their video games I think you want to go to the thread about poop in games its this one here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3550307 hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Flesh Forge posted:

No no I don't disagree with any of that, they're dicks and it was deceptive, just ... so many people fell for robot steadicam and it seemed so obvious to me they weren't gonna actually deliver that :shrug:

Hey kids, any time you see that too-smooth camera movement it's a giant red flag. Not that it'd be impossible to fake it with actual pre-recorded player camera movement but sticking a camera on a spline is like, the easiest thing to do . If you can set up a mockup in which a live human being can walk around in and it still looks good that's actually not a mockup any more, that's your game

are you aware you can just pan the virtual camera through the real game world, and provide steady cam footage perfectly representative of the game's visual fidelity as it will seem to the player?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

lol cool. tks

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Nooner posted:

this is a tread for people to talk about loving their video games I think you want to go to the thread about poop in games its this one here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3550307 hth

its cocktail time at the congo room, nooner.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

steinrokkan posted:

are you aware you can just pan the virtual camera through the real game world, and provide steady cam footage perfectly representative of the game's visual fidelity as it will seem to the player?

Why would you want to go out of your way to make it look fake?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Grown Mans Cry

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Flesh Forge posted:

Why would you want to go out of your way to make it look fake?
I'm not defending the NMS guys because obviously they faked their game's content, but it makes a lot of sense to put together a scripted trailer, not every trailer needs to be centered around gameplay footage, especially if the gameplay is supposed to be secondary to the spectacle. In that case they are selling the concept rather than the technical details of how the game controls.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
maybe people shouldn't make games where the gameplay is secondary to anything

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

AugmentedVision posted:

maybe people shouldn't make games where the gameplay is secondary to anything

Maybe some people like them. Like adventure games, or turn based strategy games - nobody gives a poo poo about how faithful your trailer camera work is to the finished product, because those games aren't really about moving camera around the world, except in the most superficial way.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I dunno how common it is to use that kind of technique legitimately but whenever I see it used it always makes me think "ahahaha none of that is going to look good at release time" :shrug:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
be cool if u couild do cool street fighter and dota moves in this game. do them on other ppl. imagine finding someone on a planet and pwning them with a epic spinning piledriver adn then freakin blasting their bones out with lion's finger of death. drat that would be so sick

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

speaking of sweeping camera moves, i had one of those 3d mouse things and it doesn't work with much but it would work with Second Life and it would let you control a flying camera. it made everything feel so much more epic when I could sweep through things with an easy motion and take dramatic angles of everything, even if everything was mostly sex shops and flying dongs

then it broke and i didn't replace it cause gently caress for a feeble little thing those controllers are drat expensive

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Hey what if they took the ship building and physics of Kerbal SP, the resource gathering of a survival game, and then put it in the procedural generated world of NMS?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Rabble posted:

Hey what if they took the ship building and physics of Kerbal SP, the resource gathering of a survival game, and then put it in the procedural generated world of NMS?

what if we put every copy of nms in a box and drop it into war torn syria

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

Rabble posted:

They could just merge the codes or something. They're probably in the same programing language anyway. Developers are too lazy for that though

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Rabble posted:

And the action packed platforming on spelunky

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

8 track betamax posted:

And the action packed platforming on spelunky

and the combat of Galaga.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Rabble posted:

and the combat of Galaga.

And the jpegs of star citizen

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Smythe posted:

where is the games thread i cant find it

Real question. How many reports has this thread generated?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i won't rest until i can goatse an entire galaxy

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

ethanol posted:

And the jpegs of star citizen
and an ice cold coke.... in the bottle

Moridin920 posted:

i won't rest until i can goatse an entire galaxy
nothing more refreashing

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

Maybe some people like them. Like adventure games, or turn based strategy games - nobody gives a poo poo about how faithful your trailer camera work is to the finished product, because those games aren't really about moving camera around the world, except in the most superficial way.

Turn based strategy games, though, are all about gameplay though. Lots take into account things like positioning, elevation, damage type, or other factors like that. A game doesn't need to be in real time to put gameplay first. Adventure games and visual novels, though, are lacking in the interactivity department and often put gameplay as secondary, or sometimes make it almost non-existent.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Wow the user score has actually continued to go down this far past launch. It was like 3.4 or something a week ago.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Fire Barrel posted:

Turn based strategy games, though, are all about gameplay though. Lots take into account things like positioning, elevation, damage type, or other factors like that. A game doesn't need to be in real time to put gameplay first. Adventure games and visual novels, though, are lacking in the interactivity department and often put gameplay as secondary, or sometimes make it almost non-existent.

and sometimes you get something that doesn't manage either

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

opus111 posted:

whats all the fuss with colonial marines about?

Short Answer:

Long Answer:
Gearbox took SAGA's money and outsourced dirt poor 3rd world developers, then when they saw what a poo poo sandwich it iwas they pre-rendered everything from the game to look awesome for all the demos, and apparently even stuff they showed Saga (I believe Saga kicked their rear end in a law suit) and just completely lied their asses off about one of the most broken and terrible crapfests in a while. It's also by far the worst Aliens game. Poor SAGA, they've had no luck with it. And before them, Aliens games were generally awesome.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Please don't pre-order games.

Have self control and have faith that there will be a future Gaben Steam sale.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Blazing Ownager posted:

Long Answer:
Gearbox took SAGA's money and outsourced dirt poor 3rd world developers, then when they saw what a poo poo sandwich it iwas they pre-rendered everything from the game to look awesome for all the demos, and apparently even stuff they showed Saga (I believe Saga kicked their rear end in a law suit) and just completely lied their asses off about one of the most broken and terrible crapfests in a while. It's also by far the worst Aliens game. Poor SAGA, they've had no luck with it. And before them, Aliens games were generally awesome.

AVP2 multiplayer was really fun.

etalian posted:

Please don't pre-order games.

Have self control and have faith that there will be a future Gaben Steam sale.

Not just steam has lots of sales now either since both Green Man Gaming and GOG.com have sales regularly. Easy to wait for games like No Man's Sky to come out and drop in price once they disappoint. I could see a preorder if you're sure a dev can deliver a good product. Or if you can get a really good deal on it.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Blazing Ownager posted:

Short Answer:

Long Answer:

do u remember playing avp 2 multiplayer? i remember.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Fire Barrel posted:

AVP2 multiplayer was really fun.

damnit.........................

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

nigga crab pollock posted:

spore said there was a surprise at the center and they show a cheeky little cutscene and give you a special item that lets you terraform planets.

no mans sky said that the center of the galaxy was the whole point of the game, that it was going to be a satisfying conclusion, and that players shouldn't spoil the ending for themselves. it just dumps you on another planet without saying anything.

lol

See my earlier Gamespot post how they claimed the ending "Made them look at life and their place in the universe." That is just ten times more hilarious now that I've seen the ending.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Aug 29, 2016

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Sega

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
At first I was like, "eh, I'll buy it when it's $15" then I was like eh, "I'll buy it when it's $3" now I'm waiting on the humblebundle.

several friends
Apr 7, 2015

ethanol posted:

what if we put every copy of nms in a box and drop it into war torn syria

Weapon of Mass Deception

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Blazing Ownager posted:

See my earlier Gamespot post how they claimed the ending "Made them look at life and their place in the universe." That is just ten times more hilarious now that I've seen the ending.

It makes me wonder if they actually played the game.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Germstore posted:

At first I was like, "eh, I'll buy it when it's $15" then I was like eh, "I'll buy it when it's $3" now I'm waiting on the humblebundle.

NMS is the sort of game where I'm like "dude I can't even be bothered to pirate this."

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax
apparently sony's offering full refunds for no mans sky

like if you log in to your psn account and go to their online tech support and simply say "i bought no mans sky" they'll automatically refund it

lmfao

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/2...seekers-thieves

:ohdear: those poor multi millionaire CEOs, I can understand their outrage

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Flesh Forge posted:

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/2...seekers-thieves

:ohdear: those poor multi millionaire CEOs, I can understand their outrage

vidya games are Sony's most profitable products if that starts showing cracks they are in trouble

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
How about the part where the game had over 200,000 concurrent players at its height, which qualifies as a huge success for the development budget that likely went into No Man’s Sky. SteamSpy is estimating that over 750,000 players purchased the game, and that’s only on Steam. These numbers don’t take the game’s PlayStation 4 audience into account, nor services like GoG.

"The numbers speak of a phenomenal launch for a game, the huge amount of players and respective playtimes speak to a far more content number of people than internet chatter would have you believe," game developer Rob Fearon wrote. "Holding out in the Steam top sellers for days, even during the release of a much awaited big box title is an amazing feat for a game. Despite the internet at large’s story, people want to play No Man’s Sky. People are playing No Man’s Sky. No Man’s Sky is not a failure. It is a success."
But those numbers were reported on as if they constituted a failure, instead of proving that No Man’s Sky is likely to be one of the most successful games of the year. Neither Hello Games nor Sony ever stepped into with any data or even analysis to set the record straight. So the negative perception of sales and players is willing.

This is a huge problem in games in general

I personally enjoy No Man’s Sky, and I know plenty of other folks who do as well. I’m not playing it right now, so I contributed to the sharp drop of concurrent players. Does that mean I "abandoned" the game or that it’s a failure? Well, no. I’m not playing because other games have been released. In general I don’t play many games after the first two weeks of my purchase.

I would argue that many, if not most, of the many people who purchased the game either enjoyed it, are still enjoying it or put on the back burner, or don’t like it as much as they thought they would and have shrugged at it before moving onto other things. The game has likely sold an ungodly amount of copies, and the number of concurrent players on Steam is still very high for what amounts to an independent release.

You need to have the Adobe Flash Player to view this content.

But neither Hello Games nor Sony have given us any of that good news. They have not blown their own horn, nor done much to talk about what the players who like the game enjoy about it. No Man’s Sky is an ambitious game that sold a poo poo ton of copies and has a Metacritic score of 64. Everyone involved has much in which to be proud.

But instead, the loudest, most negative voices are shouting unopposed. Their version of events and perception of the game as a failure and / or result of years of lying is more or less going completely unchallenged by the people who have the most to gain by defending, or at least explaining, the situations that led to these controversies.

Instead we get a few mealy-mouthed change logs for patches and then silence. No Man’s Sky is a huge success, but when it’s viewed as a failure Sony and Hello Games will have no one to blame but themselves.

• Locked thread