Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Aw man.

Yeah, forgot we had swedes here. HEGEL, please don't ever take my answers on what the Swedish do or say as not lies. Our history is.. complicated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Kemper Boyd posted:

I think I fell asleep while watching that and woke up to needing to use the toilet. That is my Lindybeige experience.

thank u 4 ur service

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tias posted:

Aw man.

Yeah, forgot we had swedes here. HEGEL, please don't ever take my answers on what the Swedish do or say as not lies. Our history is.. complicated.
as far as i can tell, this thread is mostly Nordics. More enemies for me when we play Pike and Shotte in grey hunter's upcoming Pike and Shotte game, then!

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Tias posted:

Aw man.

haha no, i'm a finn, we have mandatory swedish in schools (where almost no one learns any usable swedish), but i've studied more than the minimum and i have swedish speaking relatives

HEY GAL posted:

as far as i can tell, this thread is mostly Nordics. More enemies for me when we play Pike and Shotte in grey hunter's upcoming Pike and Shotte game, then!

drat i had forgotten about that, when it's on, is there a thread yet?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Hogge Wild posted:

it's not on yet, i want him to do it though. right now he is DMing a game of Sharp Practice

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Hogge Wild posted:

Were the big estates in Prussia better mechanized?

The large estates were generally much more developed and mechanized and worked like farms in the US or UK, some were also let out in lots of small parts to tenant farmers in a similar process to what occurred in the middle ages, though that was still known to happen across europe at this time in other countries at well.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

The Germans also experienced huge shortages of pork during the war

Because the pigs all joined the Wehrmacht :v:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

MikeCrotch posted:

Oh god. Lindybeige has a new video. It's called..."Cavalry Was a Stupid Idea".

I...I can't even bring myself to look at it. I'm dumber just from reading the title.

Somebody clearly hasn't moved out the way of a horse!

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

MikeCrotch posted:

I...I can't even bring myself to look at it. I'm dumber just from reading the title.

Its a really dumb title for a not very good video about the difficulties of fighting on horseback and developing the technology for such.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I'm not going to give that idiot page views. Can someone tldr how he hand waves away the only option for that kind of tactical mobility before the internal combustion engine?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

MikeCrotch posted:

Should never have invented the saddle, imo, chariot was fine, don't need to change.

Also Huns never existed.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

OwlFancier posted:

Should never have invented the saddle, imo, chariot was fine, don't need to change.

Athena Lied Hector Died

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bodicea had a chariot and she beat rome, ergo roman tactics are poo poo and chariots are best.

And if you think about it tanks are just horseless chariots.

Makes u think.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

MikeCrotch posted:

That is a click bait title if I have ever seen one.

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'm not going to give that idiot page views. Can someone tldr how he hand waves away the only option for that kind of tactical mobility before the internal combustion engine?

Sitting on a horse is hard.
Barely domesticated horses are not naturally inclined to fight.
Horses are a big vulnerable target that when they charge at you an infantryman will casually shiv it up.
Early horses were small and sitting on them in armor is difficult.
Chariots are apparently superb.
Stopped about the time of the Romans with a brief afterword about stirrups.
There are no upsides to cavalry except in their use as chariots and logistical movers.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

HEY GAL posted:

Athena Lied Hector Died

Helen of Troy was a 8.5 at best, didn't even score one mega-Monroe!!
Click to SEE

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

MikeCrotch posted:

It's clickbait. He's talking mostly about how people didn't physically ride horses into battle for the longest time, and something about how the stirrups weren't as important of an innovation as the saddle that distributed their weight, but he overlooks the most important technological innovation for cavalry: horses big enough to ride.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Shetland pony cavalry seems fine to me.

Get tiny fat men to ride them.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's clickbait. He's talking mostly about how people didn't physically ride horses into battle for the longest time, and something about how the stirrups weren't as important of an innovation as the saddle that distributed their weight, but he overlooks the most important technological innovation for cavalry: horses big enough to ride.

I'm assuming robust enough agriculture to support large numbers of big horses was pretty important too (unless you are the Mongols and live on giant grassy steppes)

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
What was typically done with horses past their working prime? Eaten or put out to stud, I'm assuming? At least in modern times horses are considered past their prime once they're into their teens, but can live well into their twenties or thirties. Their lifespans are roughly twice the number of years they'd be fit for battle I'd guess.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Hogge Wild posted:

haha no, i'm a finn, we have mandatory swedish in schools (where almost no one learns any usable swedish), but i've studied more than the minimum and i have swedish speaking relatives

I'm going to a sober tribe thing in Helsinki next year, think we could get together and watch military thinges?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

MikeCrotch posted:

I'm assuming robust enough agriculture to support large numbers of big horses was pretty important too (unless you are the Mongols and live on giant grassy steppes)

what if i am the hungarians (your choice of three versions of them)

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Tias posted:

I'm going to a sober tribe thing in Helsinki next year, think we could get together and watch military thinges?

Coming to Finland to be sober? But yeah sure!

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Polyakov posted:

There are no upsides to cavalry except in their use as chariots and logistical movers.

RECONNAISSANCE MOTHERFUCKER, DO YOU DO IT?

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
Anyone coming to Turku in Finland can hit me up, I can show you the tombs of Tott and Stålhandske and rant about the local geography and the lack of historical sources about the area.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

it not even like sitting on a horse with a saddle is hard, just use your thighs jesus

how fat/anemic is this dweeb

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Agean90 posted:

it not even like sitting on a horse with a saddle is hard, just use your thighs jesus

how fat/anemic is this dweeb
hey, to judge from almost the entire italian officer component of the 30yw, fat dudes can ride horses as well

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

Tias posted:

There is some suitable real estate coming available soon:
https://goo.gl/maps/cz7aS2Psryw

As automatic translation always works for Finnish really well: https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=fi&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=fi&ie=UTF-8&u=https%3A%2F%2Ffi.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FIsosaari&edit-text=

(BTW, does anyone anymore use gun/fortress coastal artillery anymore? Koreans?)

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

Polyakov posted:

Sitting on a horse is hard.
If you suck

quote:

Barely domesticated horses are not naturally inclined to fight.
Good thing they haven't been domesticated since like 2000 BC or before

quote:

Horses are a big vulnerable target that when they charge at you an infantryman will casually shiv it up.
lmao

quote:

Early horses were small and sitting on them in armor is difficult.
Early armor also sucked but people used it

quote:

Chariots are apparently superb.
If you like falling over and dying

quote:

Stopped about the time of the Romans with a brief afterword about stirrups.
for obvious reasons

quote:

1. gently caress. 2. If a horse is being used as a pack animal it is no longer cavalry.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
hi rodrigo diaz, i am that infantryman

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

MikeCrotch posted:

Draught animals increase yields so having more of them isn't a problem as such.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That thing where Hannibal won them battles with them numidian horses, didn't happen.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Disinterested posted:

Draught animals increase yields so having more of them isn't a problem as such.

Horses eat like horses, so keeping large cavalry formations on non-steppes is extremely expensive.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
Speaking of cavalry, I have a stupid question. There's man on a horse with a bow, with a javelin, with a pistol, with a carbine, etc. but did anyone ever try horse slingers? I imagine this is a recipe for a disaster such as cracking your skull open with a rock, but it seems like the sort of thing that if you could get it to work would be worthwhile.

Also, no mention of elephant cavalry in that dumb video? Lame.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

That thing where Hannibal won them battles with them numidian horses, didn't happen.

I think you'll find that Hannibal ultimately lost that war. Checkmate, cavailures :smug:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

OwlFancier posted:

Mongols? Never heard of them.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

ArchangeI posted:

RECONNAISSANCE MOTHERFUCKER, DO YOU DO IT?

Pfft reconnaissance. If you horse guys are so great why can't you go do the thing

*infantry doesn't support attack, gains are not exploited*

Lol idiot horses, cavalry sucks

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Cavalry is dumb and stupid, just look at the Charge of the Light Brigade! :smuggo:

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Ithle01 posted:

Speaking of cavalry, I have a stupid question. There's man on a horse with a bow, with a javelin, with a pistol, with a carbine, etc. but did anyone ever try horse slingers? I imagine this is a recipe for a disaster such as cracking your skull open with a rock, but it seems like the sort of thing that if you could get it to work would be worthwhile.

Quick googling says that it was tried:

https://books.google.fi/books?id=ba...lingers&f=false

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Ithle01 posted:

Also, no mention of elephant cavalry in that dumb video? Lame.

The physical limitations of your weapon are important to consider. If a likely end-state of using a weapon in a certain way is "disaster", nobody is going to pick it up.

I have no idea why it would be worthwhile either. Slings are just "okay" and you can't really scale them up.