Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich

MisterZimbu posted:

I like the storyline for this CG.

"I found a clue to extraterrestrial life; something that will change mankind forever. But it's going to cost you."

"What do you want? Money? Power? Prestige?"

"Nah, 6 million tons of space cocaine will do"

Presuming, of course, it has anything to do with aliens and isn't something else entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirBuddha
Aug 20, 2006
picked this game up on Xbone, its pretty fun.. even though ive blown up half a dozen times flying too close to stars.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Gonkish posted:

Ok, I think I'm done grinding for engineer crafting stuff for now. What's the best way to grind faction rep?

You need to develop a strong self loathing and deaden your senses with strong alcohol for a few weeks.

Then grind those missions like your life depends on it. Because otherwise you'll quit from boredom/frustration.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Thargoid ship found.

imgur.com/a/Ior7C

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
It's awesome that people found something. But now all I can imagine is FDEV scrambling to figure out what to do now that the thing has been found weeks before they figured.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Sultan Tarquin posted:

It's awesome that people found something. But now all I can imagine is FDEV scrambling to figure out what to do now that the thing has been found weeks before they figured.

Weeks? The last clue pointed towards that spot, with another clue about to come out to give more details. Players skipped a step, but not by weeks. Maybe by a day.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Yeah ok weeks was a bit of a stretch.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
It's my birthday! :toot:

I'm setting up my new t-flight hotas x and I can't set the hat to directional thrusters in "Landing overrides" without it unbinding them from power settings in regular controls - is there a way to do this? If not, how do you handle landing without taking your hands off the stick?

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Pilchenstein posted:

It's my birthday! :toot:

I'm setting up my new t-flight hotas x and I can't set the hat to directional thrusters in "Landing overrides" without it unbinding them from power settings in regular controls - is there a way to do this? If not, how do you handle landing without taking your hands off the stick?

What are your throttle buttons set to? I have the first 2 on the front of the throttle to thrust up/down and the rocker on the back to thrust left/right.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Sultan Tarquin posted:

What are your throttle buttons set to? I have the first 2 on the front of the throttle to thrust up/down and the rocker on the back to thrust left/right.
I've got the rocker for left/right but the buttons are some mad convoluted scheme where the buttons on the rocker side are modifiers so I could get almost every function on the throttle and stick. I suppose if push comes to shove I could try one of those + hat = thrusters.

I'm going to go see if hand editing the bindings file works first.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I'm insane and use the hat for u/d/l/r thrust and the rocker for forward and back. PIP management is done on the hat with a modifier.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

But then..what does the actual throttle do?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Manually editing the bindings file sorted it out, so it seems it's just an issue with the bindings screen, not the actual controls.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

The analog toggle is nice when landing or maneuvering around in tight spots instead of pulling the throttle back and forth all the time. I've been doing engineers stuff and sometimes I just want one material out in space that makes it not worth wasting a limpet on and its great for scooping manually.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Holy poo poo having a hotas is so much fun. I feel like Chuck Yeager or some such.

I just hope this isn't a gateway drug and a year from now I'm not sat in a plywood cockpit with a projector and tons of expensive peripherals bolted onto my chair. :v:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Pilchenstein posted:

I just hope this isn't a gateway drug and a year from now I'm not sat in a plywood cockpit with a projector and tons of expensive peripherals bolted onto my chair. :v:
What's your gut telling you?

It is. Try head tracking next!

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
I think I missed the CG goal literally by a matter of minutes last night - saw the posts about the CG yesterday morning, so after work I flew to a station where I had a stored ship with a decent cargo hold, swapped out, filled up with autofabricators, flew out to Van de Hulst, and arrived to see a dozen or so players (more than I've ever seen in one place! that was exciting!) chatting locally about their payouts. The screenshots goons posted lead me to believe that this poo poo started on the 25th and lasted a week!!

That being said, what are the profitable trade runs these days? Is the old rares circuit posted in the OP still generally the easiest way to make money trading, or has something better taken its place?

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

Polo-Rican posted:

I think I missed the CG goal literally by a matter of minutes last night - saw the posts about the CG yesterday morning, so after work I flew to a station where I had a stored ship with a decent cargo hold, swapped out, filled up with autofabricators, flew out to Van de Hulst, and arrived to see a dozen or so players (more than I've ever seen in one place! that was exciting!) chatting locally about their payouts. The screenshots goons posted lead me to believe that this poo poo started on the 25th and lasted a week!!

That being said, what are the profitable trade runs these days? Is the old rares circuit posted in the OP still generally the easiest way to make money trading, or has something better taken its place?

The CG's always last a week *or* until they meet a quota of turnins.

In terms of trade routes, the current CG is pretty good - two hops and about 100t of cargo space nets you almost 1m per trip.

edit: Never mind, it's over :D

MisterZimbu fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Aug 30, 2016

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
This alien ship thing is neato.

http://imgur.com/a/Ior7C

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Pilchenstein posted:

Holy poo poo having a hotas is so much fun. I feel like Chuck Yeager or some such.

One of us! One of us!

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

tooterfish posted:

What's your gut telling you?
"It begins" :v:

Looking at the free headtracking stuff now - if I pick up one of those "skype with your grandkids" webcams from the supermarket for a tenner will that likely work or do you need a reasonably expensive model?

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Pilchenstein posted:

Sod all that, get a vive!

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Pilchenstein posted:

"It begins" :v:

Looking at the free headtracking stuff now - if I pick up one of those "skype with your grandkids" webcams from the supermarket for a tenner will that likely work or do you need a reasonably expensive model?

My friends use a facetracker with old webcams with some success. They do say they need to have a light on their face while playing, and that the software can make their game drop frames occasionally.

I use a way-too-expensive TrackIr and it works flawlessly. The only downside is that it requires use with headphones, which can be annoying when just wanting to casually trade or something.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Tippis posted:

Same as my regular cargo mission python, but perhaps with some cargo space replaced with fuel to lessen the need to scoop while umpteen different NPCs are trying to intercept you (also, the power distributor is massive overkill, doubly so because it accidentally got a ridiculously good roll for an ENG upgrade, but that's also why I just can't throw it away…).

What kind of range would a Python have with a competent yet realistic FSD upgrade? Also, how are they when fitted for combat? I have been thinking of upgrading to one and have 70 million or so cash last I checked.

Can anyone tell the the upsides and downsides to the Python in practical use? I'm in a fully loaded Asp Explorer now.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

TescoBag posted:

Sod all that, get a vive!

:eyepop:

I daresay I won't be jumping on the vr bandwagon until it's been around the block a couple more times. :smith:

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Pilchenstein posted:

:eyepop:

I daresay I won't be jumping on the vr bandwagon until it's been around the block a couple more times. :smith:

I have a vive and its the most amazing thing I own. That being said it is definitely a good idea to wait a year or two for the next gen of VR.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

BitBasher posted:

What kind of range would a Python have with a competent yet realistic FSD upgrade? Also, how are they when fitted for combat? I have been thinking of upgrading to one and have 70 million or so cash last I checked.

Can anyone tell the the upsides and downsides to the Python in practical use? I'm in a fully loaded Asp Explorer now.

20-ish can be expected after modding; Pythons are a good RES ship due to the amount of sustained fire it can put out, but they don't turn like an Asp and it might take a bit to get used to that. Until you are it might be good to use turrets on the smaller hardpoints.

Trade/exploration-wise the Python is better in every major way, its internals let you carry more or do exploration/mining at the same time. The thruster arrangement also means you won't slam into the ground all the time like an Asp tends to. A modded Asp can do 40LY, but that's about the only advantage it has.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
I managed to luck into a couple of back to back missions that gave modular terminals, flew out and burned a couple of them getting my aspie's jump range to around 41 and getting the introduction to Quent. Unsurprisingly, the Sirius corporation has never heard of me, and the 300ish K worth of scan data I dumped there only got me to cordial, so looks like I need to spend a goodly while flying around grinding with six modular terminals wasting space in my cargo hold and hoping that I don't get my rear end shot off and lose them in the meantime.

I really wish the game would let you store commodities at a station.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
VR is why I keep playing this game. It feels like I'm literally sitting in the cockpit of my spaceship. Which has been a dream of mine since I was like 6 years old.

Yeah the Galaxy Map is pretty much useless while in VR, and the graphics aren't quite as pretty, but truly being immersed in the game makes it worth it.

Being in VR also makes me a better pilot, since I can accurately gauge where I am in relation to other things far more effectively, and I can actually track targets that aren't dead center on screen, since I can look right at them.

That being said you need serious horsepower to get any enjoyment out of it, so in addition to the 800 dollar autism crown, factor in a 600 dollar video card. If you have the means I highly recommend it.

It's not for everyone, but hopefully the next generation of equipment comes out cheaper and more accessible.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy

Knifegrab posted:

I have a vive and its the most amazing thing I own. That being said it is definitely a good idea to wait a year or two for the next gen of VR.

I'm doing this. I want one now, but am old enough to have seen this dance played out enough times to know that the second gen is going to come out better and cheaper in a year after oculus and HTC try to outdo each other and new people enter the market to try to nibble on the money tree.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

BitBasher posted:

I don't know where it sits on the “realistic” scale, but the FSD I got on that one gives me ~25 Ly fully laden — I seem to recall that I got lucky with an added fuel use bonus, but I also have a few lightweight upgrades that help. The only combat fit I've ever used for one is that neo-classic mine setup. :D

But really, the main upside of the Python is that it's the undisputed king of multirole. There are other ships that will do more/better in a single aspect, but they will all have downsides elsewhere. It's not the smallest and nimblest ship ever, but it's not the beached whale you get with a Conda or above and it still carries a sizeable load of weapons or cargo and it only needs universally available medium landing pads. Also, its module slots don't suffer from the under-sizing you see in many other ships — your power plant and distributer will let you fit and use sensible things; your FSD is perhaps not top-class, but you're far from a horrible <10Ly single-system-hopper.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Aug 30, 2016

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

If you feel like gambling half a VIVE on a Chinese unknown, there's a few coming to market soon

http://www.gearbest.com/pc-headset/pp_423476.html?wid=21

I'm tempted, especially at the preorder price, but then it might turn out juddery blurry trash :eyepoop:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
I was sort of hoping the playstation VR might be a good entry point, since they'll never get away with charging six hundred quid for it and it'll probably be cheap enough to pick one up second hand after a few months. Assuming someone gets it working on pc, of course.

Edit: yeah, it's apparently £350 at launch, fingers crossed then

Pilchenstein fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Aug 30, 2016

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Tippis posted:

I don't know where it sits on the “realistic” scale, but the FSD I got on that one gives me ~25 Ly fully laden — I seem to recall that I got lucky with an added fuel use bonus, but I also have a few lightweight upgrades that help. The only combat fit I've ever used for one is that neo-classic mine setup. :D

But really, the main upside of the Python is that it's the undisputed king of multirole. There are other ships that will do more/better in a single aspect, but they will all have downsides elsewhere. It's not the smallest and nimblest ship ever, but it's not the beached whale you get with a Conda or above and it still carries a sizeable load of weapons or cargo and it only needs universally available medium landing pads. Also, its module slots don't suffer from the under-sizing you see in many other ships — your power plant and distributer will let you fit and use sensible things; your FSD is perhaps top-class, but you're far from a horrible <10Ly single-system-hopper.

Mine's more or less A-fitted and armed with triple gimballed pulses/small turreted multicannons, and I feel comfortable killing anything smaller than a FAS. Jumpwise, I'm a chucklefuck at engineering and probably could get it better, but it's getting like 29.5ly unladen and about 25 with 200+ cargo.

Other than that, everyone else is right - it's the best multi-role ship in the game. I've sold my python in the past and always ended up going back to it.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

VR is why I keep playing this game. It feels like I'm literally sitting in the cockpit of my spaceship. Which has been a dream of mine since I was like 6 years old.
Completely agree with this. I have had a Vive from week 2 and E:D is almost the only thing I use it for. I've used TrackIR for playing FSX and how that feels revolutionary the first time you do it, VR is that feeling again except turned from 1 to 11. Headtracking seems like a good idea but you're turning your head but still have to keep your eyes on your monitor, which is helpful but does not at all feel like you're looking where your head is pointed. Coming in to land and I can look through my legs and see the landing pad lining up below my ship. Being in a dogfight and looking over and actually leaning forward to get a better view of the guy coming in over your shoulder. Ducking as you're going through the mailslot because it feels like you're going to scrape it. Coming out of supercruise and nearly splattering yourself across the side of a space station while spitting up your beer that you're drinking through a straw. That's simply amazing. I fire up another VR game about once every couple of weeks and those experiences can be cool too, but current titles have content an inch deep and an inch wide so they're not really calling me back the way seeing the scale of things in E:D feels. Now if we could just get the performance up so we don't have to play on low settings to keep 90fps!

This is probably a dumb question, but if I pick a side in the power struggle, does that make me show up as wanted to anyone else who has picked a side? Will NPCs in RES just open up on me like I have a single reinforced mounting plate in my inventory?

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Wolfechu posted:

Mine's more or less A-fitted and armed with triple gimballed pulses/small turreted multicannons, and I feel comfortable killing anything smaller than a FAS. Jumpwise, I'm a chucklefuck at engineering and probably could get it better, but it's getting like 29.5ly unladen and about 25 with 200+ cargo.

Other than that, everyone else is right - it's the best multi-role ship in the game. I've sold my python in the past and always ended up going back to it.

Well, this sounds like just what I want. tome to go grind my... first engineer. This is gonna take a while I suspect.

EDIT: I assume I'm going to want to buy one at a Yonmgmart? Is that still a thing? Ive been out a couple months.

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Aug 30, 2016

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

BitBasher posted:

Well, this sounds like just what I want. tome to go grind my... first engineer. This is gonna take a while I suspect.

EDIT: I assume I'm going to want to buy one at a Yonmgmart? Is that still a thing? Ive been out a couple moonths.

It is but it's absolutely worth it, each mod is a gamechanger. Yong marts still work the same, exploited/control both give discounts.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

CapnBry posted:

Headtracking seems like a good idea but you're turning your head but still have to keep your eyes on your monitor, which is helpful but does not at all feel like you're looking where your head is pointed.

Yeah I tried headtracking for an hour or so and it felt really loving weird and didn't really improve my experience at all. I thought it would feel more like real life... instead it feels like you're using your neck as an optional joystick or something and otherwise playing the game normally.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Polo-Rican posted:

Yeah I tried headtracking for an hour or so and it felt really loving weird and didn't really improve my experience at all. I thought it would feel more like real life... instead it feels like you're using your neck as an optional joystick or something and otherwise playing the game normally.

It does indeed feel weird at first, especially if you don't set up a movement translation graph that you're comfortable with (side-to-side tilt in particular can really mess up your sense of direction if not calibrated properly). But once you get over that, the ability to quickly look in all kinds of directions and accurately track targets makes it a very good addition to your setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
SteamVR crashed on me inside a station while I was docking earlier today. Oddly enough, the game itself kept running, and the mirrored window would work (and still headtrack based on the Rift's position), but only if the Rift thought I was wearing it.

I ended up having to land my ship while holding the rift up with one hand (but not covering my eyes), look around with the hand, and pilot with the other hand.

Pricewise, if the actual choices are "VR" and "Triple projector setup with playseat cockpit and tablet PCs for readouts and trackir", then the Rift will probably be cheaper.

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Yeah the Galaxy Map is pretty much useless while in VR, and the graphics aren't quite as pretty, but truly being immersed in the game makes it worth it.

I've actually gotten decent at using the Galaxy Map in VR; you just have to set up your stick buttons right and it's not too bad. The main issue for me is the mouse cursor and context menus are wonky, but it's still usable. It'd be neat if they took the time to fix that, though.

The issue for me is that SteamVR's overlay doesn't work in Elite (at least on the Rift - I wasn't aware that SteamVR had its own overlay and UI until yesterday because it works so poorly with the Rift), so doing your required eddb.io and other searches requires you to take off the headset.

MisterZimbu fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Aug 30, 2016

• Locked thread