Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Psh whatever. Mutants can't even GET AIDS!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

They definitely can get Annihilated by Inhuman Death Smog. :ohdear:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Deadpool had his organs harvested by a bad guy iirc and i swear there was a superheroine that voluntarily donated continuously but i may be making that up

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Did Deadpool grow a whole evil twin from one severed hand? Or was it from a big bag of random Deadparts?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

site posted:

Deadpool had his organs harvested by a bad guy iirc and i swear there was a superheroine that voluntarily donated continuously but i may be making that up

As Lurdiak said this is from a web comic called Strong Female Protagonist, there's a character with Wolverine style healing powers that's having her organs harvested as fast as she can regenerate them. She's a reformed super villain though.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I didn't read the story myself but I could have sworn I heard about an issue of Resurrection Man where someone kept killing him until he developed a power that was the cure for cancer or something like that.

edit: Turns out that it was an issue of Supergirl and some guy kills Resurrection Man who comes back with the power to heal and Supergirl rushes him to a hospital so they can use his blood to cure some kid's cancer.

Madkal fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Aug 30, 2016

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Madkal posted:

I didn't read the story myself but I could have sworn I heard about an issue of Resurrection Man where someone kept killing him until he developed a power that was the cure for cancer or something like that.

edit: Turns out that it was an issue of Supergirl and some guy kills Resurrection Man who comes back with the power to heal and Supergirl rushes him to a hospital so they can use his blood to cure some kid's cancer.

There is an issue of Resurrection man that crossed over with Hitman where Hitman keeps shooting him in the head because he keeps coming back with noncombat powers and they need to go fight someone.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Mover posted:

There is an issue of Resurrection man that crossed over with Hitman where Hitman keeps shooting him in the head because he keeps coming back with noncombat powers and they need to go fight someone.

Was it something Resurrection Man was okay with, or was it like when people throw Bruce Banner out of helicopters so that he will become useful?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
My favorite regeneration "bit" was from Sixth Gun. The woman with the immortal gun gets her hand holding the gun cut off. Instead of the woman regenerating the hand, the "dead" hand holding the gun regenerates a whole new body, which immediately kills the "original".

I liked the surprise reversal of it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Uthor posted:

My favorite regeneration "bit" was from Sixth Gun. The woman with the immortal gun gets her hand holding the gun cut off. Instead of the woman regenerating the hand, the "dead" hand holding the gun regenerates a whole new body, which immediately kills the "original".

I liked the surprise reversal of it.

I don't remember this, about when in the series did that happen?

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

prefect posted:

Was it something Resurrection Man was okay with, or was it like when people throw Bruce Banner out of helicopters so that he will become useful?

Most definitely the latter.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Rhyno posted:

I don't remember this, about when in the series did that happen?

Early on. During the first big battle at the Maw, if I remember correctly. I could check when I get home.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

prefect posted:

Did Deadpool grow a whole evil twin from one severed hand? Or was it from a big bag of random Deadparts?
It was the latter - he had a stalker who collected a whole bunch of his cast offs and kept them in her freezer, and when he found out he threw them in a dumpster where they regenned together after thawing.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Am I crazy for wondering if there is an explanation of how Dr. Strange's spells actually work? I'm reading the original Strange Tales now thanks to MU it's really enjoyable but that part of the geek personality that needs explanations for everything makes me constantly wonder what is going on. It's pretty much relying on the speech and thought bubbles and they don't amount to much more than "oh no my spells aren't as strong as his! but what if i do... THIS! haha now my spells are the stronger ones!"

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.
Forget it, Jake. It's magic.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I've always been under the impression Strange is, in Dungeons and Dragons terms, a cleric, and his spells are basically contacting elder gods or whatever and leaching off their innate power.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

WickedHate posted:

I've always been under the impression Strange is, in Dungeons and Dragons terms, a cleric, and his spells are basically contacting elder gods or whatever and leaching off their innate power.

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:

According to the Marvel Super Heroes RPG, there are three kinds of magic: personal, universal, and dimensional. Only the "dimensional" stuff is where Doc invokes Watoomb or Hoggoth or whoever. Most of the "wave hand, something happens" stuff that goes on is either personal (using energy from the person casting it) or universal (using energy from that universe).

Boy, I wasted my childhood.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I've always wanted to go through all of Dr. Strange's comics and detail all the spells he's used.

But not enough to actually do it or anything, mind.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I've always wanted to go through all of Dr. Strange's comics and detail all the spells he's used.

If it makes you feel any better, according to the new issue all the old spells are useless now anyways :shrug:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Alien Rope Burn posted:

So far everything I've read doesn't really have any spell details. He invokes lots of names but other than Obvious Shield-Shaped Barrier and Colourful Magic Beam they're not differentiated in the way you might expect from an RPG.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Lobok posted:

So far everything I've read doesn't really have any spell details. He invokes lots of names but other than Obvious Shield-Shaped Barrier and Colourful Magic Beam they're not differentiated in the way you might expect from an RPG.
I've always taken for granted that Strange has a few simple powers he can use whenever, like shooting magic lasers, making magic forcefields, and dispelling bad guys' magical tricks, astral travel, and other stuff he's repeatedly demonstrated he can do whenever. But anything more complex or plot-devicey requires rituals, doodads, cooperation for astral entities, the sort of thing that allows the writer to wring a story out of it.

Magic with a zillion fake laws of fake physics attached to it is no fun, of course, but stories have more internal logic when you look at them through that lens.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Strange can't even fly, that's the cape.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Strange can't even fly, that's the cape.

That's sorta like saying Iron Man or Thor can't fly. Technically true, but no-one cares except the most :spergin:ist of :spergin:s.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm just putting the rules of his magic in perspective.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Halloween Jack posted:

I've always taken for granted that Strange has a few simple powers he can use whenever, like shooting magic lasers, making magic forcefields, and dispelling bad guys' magical tricks, astral travel, and other stuff he's repeatedly demonstrated he can do whenever. But anything more complex or plot-devicey requires rituals, doodads, cooperation for astral entities, the sort of thing that allows the writer to wring a story out of it.

Magic with a zillion fake laws of fake physics attached to it is no fun, of course, but stories have more internal logic when you look at them through that lens.

Kinda like what prefect said. You get the sense that he has his "Personal" well of strength and stamina for most of his basic fireworks but needs to draw on "Dimensional" beings when he shouldn't/can't use his own magic to power spells.

And then there's the Eye which has its own set of powerful abilities that he can use at will and is a power source in an of itself.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Get yourself a sandwich and a comfy chair, friend:

http://www.luckymojo.com/vishanti.html

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Pastry of the Year posted:

Also a good site if you care way too much about Doc Strange: http://www.neilalien.com/

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

TOD 44, DS 14 --- and it can be used to store bodies in also.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Holyyyyy fuuuuuuck.....

Gotta say, I much prefer the rhyming spells I don't know why. I also loved when Thor used to rhyme during big moments. Gave the sense that he had to truly summon his might instead of always being at the same baseline of incredible power. Also tied in with the old sagas; you can imagine the sagas weren't making up dialogue but just quoting the man himself.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Rhyming is cool, but Thor speaking in Edda style alliterative verse was one of my favorite decisions Gaiman made for 1602.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lobok posted:

Holyyyyy fuuuuuuck.....

Gotta say, I much prefer the rhyming spells I don't know why. I also loved when Thor used to rhyme during big moments. Gave the sense that he had to truly summon his might instead of always being at the same baseline of incredible power. Also tied in with the old sagas; you can imagine the sagas weren't making up dialogue but just quoting the man himself.

Dr. Strange is all about alliteration, not rhymes. Hoary Hosts of Hoggoth and all that.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Skwirl posted:

Dr. Strange is all about alliteration, not rhymes. Hoary Hosts of Hoggoth and all that.

He's a smart guy, he can do both!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lobok posted:

He's a smart guy, he can do both!

I bind you with the Crimson Bands of Cytorak.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Can someone...explain...Professor Pyg to me? I wanted to like everything Morrison did with Batman, but Pyg just came across as a crazy ranting idiot who says random things and bounces between random schemes. Even when other Batman villains do that, there's a throughline that gives them a distinct appeal. I just don't get Pyg.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I got my girlfriend a copy of Angel Catbird because she is a big Margaret Atwood fan, and we got talking about famous authors who went on to write comics (even if it was briefly).
The names I came up with were Jodi Picoult (Wonder Woman), Brad Meltzer (Identity Crisis/JLA), Stephen King (a whole bunch of one shots and backup for American Vampire). I was drawing a blank on any other though. Any other big name writers who wrote some comic books (even briefly)?

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
Clive Barker created his own corner of the Marvel U called Razorline, and he's involved with the recent Hellraiser and Nightbreed comics.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Halloween Jack posted:

Can someone...explain...Professor Pyg to me? I wanted to like everything Morrison did with Batman, but Pyg just came across as a crazy ranting idiot who says random things and bounces between random schemes. Even when other Batman villains do that, there's a throughline that gives them a distinct appeal. I just don't get Pyg.

The idea behind Morrison's Pyg was he wanted a genuinely insane villain for Batman to fight (you're aware of Morrison's "Hyper Sanity" theory, right?), one who wasn't borderline in some way (Two-Face, Ivy depending on interpretation, Harley depending on interpretation) or had moments of lucidity (Zsasz, Croc depending on interpretation, Clayface depending on interpretation). He wanted a genuinely 100% all the time absolutely nuts homicidal maniac for Batman to fight, a guy who couldn't be reasoned with or talked down.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Madkal posted:

I got my girlfriend a copy of Angel Catbird because she is a big Margaret Atwood fan, and we got talking about famous authors who went on to write comics (even if it was briefly).
The names I came up with were Jodi Picoult (Wonder Woman), Brad Meltzer (Identity Crisis/JLA), Stephen King (a whole bunch of one shots and backup for American Vampire). I was drawing a blank on any other though. Any other big name writers who wrote some comic books (even briefly)?

Off the top of my head, Tamora Pierce (who's a big name in YA fantasy fiction) did a White Tiger mini for Marvel a few years back, and Jonathan Lethem wrote that Omega the Unknown miniseries that pissed off Steve Gerber.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Madkal posted:

China Mieville

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Ta-Nehisi Coates was a very famous essayist before Marvel.