Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

That is bloody brilliant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I'm curious, do units who change allegiance midcombat become unable to act? Could Parson waltz a horde of bats right up to Charlie and then transfer them back to Transylvito so they could attack, then pull them back and have Caeser transfer them to Gobwin Knob in the same turn?

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Onmi posted:

I'm curious, do units who change allegiance midcombat become unable to act? Could Parson waltz a horde of bats right up to Charlie and then transfer them back to Transylvito so they could attack, then pull them back and have Caeser transfer them to Gobwin Knob in the same turn?

Units that get uncroaked can act, which is kinda the same mechanically, I think. But I think FAQ being a separate entity means Jillian doesn't have to abide by the treaty.

I want Parson to get all those bats miniature gunpowder bombs. They got all the ingredients for it.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

nimby posted:

Units that get uncroaked can act, which is kinda the same mechanically, I think. But I think FAQ being a separate entity means Jillian doesn't have to abide by the treaty.

I want Parson to get all those bats miniature gunpowder bombs. They got all the ingredients for it.

It just seems like his kind of exploit "Shoot my troops and I ping you for 5 Mil, don't and then right when they're in range they change allegiance and immediately become able to assault you. Then all I have to do is have Caeser order them to break and then have him trade allegiance back to GK, making you lose 5 mil on each attack."

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

Onmi posted:

It just seems like his kind of exploit "Shoot my troops and I ping you for 5 Mil, don't and then right when they're in range they change allegiance and immediately become able to assault you. Then all I have to do is have Caeser order them to break and then have him trade allegiance back to GK, making you lose 5 mil on each attack."

And there's nearly zero chance it could be used back against him. After all, who would trust Charlescomm enough to transfer units over to them?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Goes all the way back to book 1, where Parson identified the goal was not to hold the Garrison, but to render the enemy unwilling or unable to take the Garrison. Charlie has upkeep to pay, Even with his gem reserves, there's only so many hits to the treasury he can take before it simply becomes too cost prohibitive to to attack until the treaty is annulled and the moment it is Parson is free to wipe out Jillian, which is the reason he made the deal, not to mention Charlie almost definitely put a harsh out-clause into the contract.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Charlie can afford the hits it'd take to wipe out 200 bats, though. GK would be loaded, but Charlie would get Parson.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

nimby posted:

Charlie can afford the hits it'd take to wipe out 200 bats, though. GK would be loaded, but Charlie would get Parson.

Nope. Charlescomm has around 200 million in schmuckers and 500 million in gems. Even if you took out every bat in 1 hit you'd only get 3/4 of them before the contract starts eating units and cities.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

nimby posted:

Sure, if it was just two hundred bats. And using that cash you can transfer to Transylvito, and have them promote units to Knight, expensive yeah, but they're rich! Not to mention those units would be in Caeser's hex, getting his absurd bonus. Meanwhile 200 bats are screening for the Transylvitos.

Drain the treasury, send the money to Transylvito, who funnels it into improving the units, who are screened by more Gobwin Knob units. As Parson just said, fight them Transylvito style. Bat swarms with Caeser's bonus, followed by a wall of money drainers.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

This is, of course, assuming Charlie does just hit TV in the straightforward, Archons-with-guns method. We're assuming that last panel is what Parson is imagining, right? If Charlie is doing something more devious (like, say, with the heir)...

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I'm nursing a suspicion that the new royal will be a carnymancer.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Parson's also assuming that Charlie isn't going to cut his losses and simply kill Parson. Maybe he's gonna lose a hundred million or so to the bats as they're screening, but all it takes is one lucky hit and the insta-croak rifles will do their thing. Charlie's already shown a willingness to let Parson die if it's clear that capturing him is not feasible.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Taerkar posted:

I'm nursing a suspicion that the new royal will be a carnymancer.

The heir's probably gonna have some of Vanna's signamancy because that's who Don's been screwing and (if Albert is any indication) that seems to have an effect on it.

So combining game shows with Italian vampires gets you Snookie from Jersey Shore or something.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

7c Nickel posted:

Nope. Charlescomm has around 200 million in schmuckers and 500 million in gems. Even if you took out every bat in 1 hit you'd only get 3/4 of them before the contract starts eating units and cities.

Turns out 200 times 5 isn't 100, but 1000 :( Still, Charlescomm doesn't have to take out all of the bats. And Jillian is most likely far enough removed from Charlie that she doesn't have to pay.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Also reminder Charlescomm is still financially supporting Faq along with all its other monetary drains. Again, they don't need to drive him into debt, they merely need to lower his bank account to the point where pushing on is so unfeasible that he cannot support Upkeep.

kwokkie
Jan 19, 2011

Being a dumbass is the best form of defence.
Wasn't the alliance between Faq and Charlescomm unofficial? I think Faq is free to attack GK units with no penalties.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

kwokkie posted:

Wasn't the alliance between Faq and Charlescomm unofficial? I think Faq is free to attack GK units with no penalties.

You are correct, but for a slightly different reason.

http://archives.erfworld.com/Book+3/30

Specifically, the contract was signed only by CC and GK, Jillian was unconscious at the time. FAQ has no magical obligations at all.

GK is bound not to attack FAQ, except for taking reasonable defensive action against FAQ aggression (it's anybody's guess what Signamancy would consider reasonable), and even in that case they still cannot hurt Jillian.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

There's also the question of how the treaty handles forces hired by Charlie.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
The impression I get is that they're more worried about the Archons with guns than anything Jillian is fielding. And I don't think Charlie would just give his Archons away to another side. They're still likely working directly for Charlie and are thus bound by the rules.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Of course the odds are good that Jillian ain't going anywhere near Transylvito. She's probably taking a shot at Goblin Knob because she's pissed about Ansom showing up on her doorstep. because reacting emotionally and instinctively rather than with thought out tactics is pretty much Jillian's thing.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Do we have any idea why Caesar dislikes Skyy Appletini so much?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

NihilCredo posted:

Do we have any idea why Caesar dislikes Skyy Appletini so much?

He doesn't, his relationship with Bunny is a secret.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Seravadon posted:

The impression I get is that they're more worried about the Archons with guns than anything Jillian is fielding. And I don't think Charlie would just give his Archons away to another side. They're still likely working directly for Charlie and are thus bound by the rules.

Consider that guns kill across portals and probably hexes which is basically cthulu territory for how factions think things work.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Grognan posted:

Consider that guns kill across portals and probably hexes which is basically cthulu territory for how factions think things work.

Guns kill from Charlies carnied portal, check the panel again the bullets ricochet off other portals

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Onmi posted:

Guns kill from Charlies carnied portal, check the panel again the bullets ricochet off other portals

As far as we know, poo poo gets strange with carnymancers. I bet if you linked Dirtamancy, Shockmancy and a Carny you could make a nuke.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Grognan posted:

As far as we know, poo poo gets strange with carnymancers. I bet if you linked Dirtamancy, Shockmancy and a Carny you could make a nuke.

A nuke isn't cheating the rules of reality, so a dirtomancer might be able to make it on his own if there is uranium in Erfworld. If there isn't any, you'd probably need Charlie or parson in the link to help cheat some yellowcake into existence.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Onmi posted:

He doesn't, his relationship with Bunny is a secret.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Can you expand?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

http://archives.erfworld.com/Book%203/192
When the heroes explain their foolproof plan, it is bound to fail. I'm trying to figure out what the twist will be.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Bruceski posted:

When the heroes explain their foolproof plan, it is bound to fail. I'm trying to figure out what the twist will be.

That Charlie had no intention of striking at Transylvito's capital, either directly or through Jillian (if he's gonna take down Parson by force, it will be in the field during his return to GK), and that he will reveal to Don the actual target of Jillian's expedition in order to convince him that they're on the same side.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Bruceski posted:

The twist is obviously going to be Charlie, since that's his job as a Carny. :v:

How's TV going to react when they found out Faq isn't launching a sneak attack on them?

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

I kinda hope Jillian isn't going to attack anything important at all. Too many stories in comics and games put too much emphasis on something outlandish that might happen and then guess what happens!

I would settle for a Jillian that wants to do a magic kingdom jailbreak of Wanda, though. She could get in through Charlie's portal.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

NihilCredo posted:

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Can you expand?

Caeser's relationship with bunny is a secret, no one is meant to know they're together. Ergo when Caeser wan't to talk to Bunny in private and there's one of his warlords in the room he has to command her out, and if she starts questioning him rather than doing what she's told he's going to get pissy.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
Does this Johnny Depp as Beetlejuice looking fellow actually have eyes, or are the eyes magically painted on his glasses?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

The current page confuses me. Why on Earth would Don even consider accepting Charlie's offer? If it was only Don's own life at stake I could see him prioritising an ASAP heir above everything else, but he's worried about a capital strike, not an assassination attempt. Should the City of Transylvito fall to gun-wielding fliers tomorrow, the heir's just as dead as he is.

And that's before we consider the far more generous offer from Gobwin Knob, or the danger of trusting Charlie not to pull any shenanigans during a link-up with Vanna - though I guess a Contract could allay those concerns. I'm really curious to see why Charlie thought this would be an effective bait. Perhaps he's just wrong, after all he seems to have completely whiffed with his initial cash offer (it didn't look much like an intentional lowball to me).

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Well, I can see two scenarios here:

1) Charlie isn't planning a capital strike. He's unaware that Parson has been suggesting that possibility to Don, and so thinks his normal throw-money-around, grant-some-favors method of dealing will work.

2) Charlie is planning a capital strike, but isn't letting that slip to anyone, including Vanna. As such, he's behaving exactly the same way he would be if he wasn't planning it, so as to throw off Parson.

Honestly, if Charlie can get his hands on the bracer and Parson without going full military on anyone, he's going to try. Doing so will damage his reputation with the rest of the sides far too much for his liking. The moment he ends a side with guns, he's going to get a bunch of previously neutral sides gunning for him, either in self-defense or to get the secret of guns from him.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Sep 20, 2016

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Charlie knows Don believes he's about to be hit by Jillian. He also knows Caesar made Vinny Doombats drafted a plan of conquering the capital of Faq.

Charlie's offer probably goes something like this:

1) Turn Albert to Transylvito.
2) Get Albert and Vinny to conquer the capital of Faq.
3) The army of Jillian, still 2 turns away, can't pay upkeep (since treasury goes when you lose your capital) and disbands almost entirely.
4) Charlie pays enough for Albert to set up a new side.
5) New heir pops in a few turns as a bonus.

No more threat to the side from Jillian, a new loyal ally, whatever money Jillian had in her treasury and all the prestige that goes with taking out Parson. Plus whatever extra cash they feel like squeezing out of Charlie; a few mil is chump change at this point. Plus they get to keep the bracer and try to reverse engineer the gun or sell it for even more money. It's not a bad offer, considering preserving the side has to be the most important thing for every ruler.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Don's counter-offer is great though.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Carrasco posted:

Don's counter-offer is great though.
Just came here to say this.

isndl
May 2, 2012

NihilCredo posted:

The current page confuses me. Why on Earth would Don even consider accepting Charlie's offer? If it was only Don's own life at stake I could see him prioritising an ASAP heir above everything else, but he's worried about a capital strike, not an assassination attempt. Should the City of Transylvito fall to gun-wielding fliers tomorrow, the heir's just as dead as he is.

And that's before we consider the far more generous offer from Gobwin Knob, or the danger of trusting Charlie not to pull any shenanigans during a link-up with Vanna - though I guess a Contract could allay those concerns. I'm really curious to see why Charlie thought this would be an effective bait. Perhaps he's just wrong, after all he seems to have completely whiffed with his initial cash offer (it didn't look much like an intentional lowball to me).

Don's not looking to accept Charlie's offer, he's playing for intel and seeing what Charlie is willing to offer. GK has so much money that they didn't even try to negotiate down a 2m ransom, Charlie doesn't match and instead looks for alternative payments. Could mean cash flow issues, could mean he's still intent on hiding his cards. He specifically mentions wanting all of Parson's equipment, obviously a hint towards the bracer - that means he knows the power of the bracer and either wants it for himself or doesn't want it in the hands of others, if not both.

Charlie offers to cut a dozen turns off the production of a unit. Even if Don walks away from the table right now he's won a big piece of intel, because that's something Charlie can do to his own production. If he has enough Turnamancers - and with the earlier offer of 1.5m schmuckers, he can certainly afford to hire them - he can turn one city's worth of production into four or five easily. That's the kind of thing you want to know if you're about to fight a war.

Charlie's side of the negotiations is harder to gauge because we don't know what he's angling for. We know he wants to do some kind of spell with Vanna, but we don't know if that was entirely truth or some clever misinformation (given its Charlie, I'm inclined towards the latter). We don't know if the lowball offer was a result of his loss of full Arkendish connectivity thereby missing the thinkagram between Don and Stanley, or a ploy to set the mood when revealing the production rush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Hob_Gadling posted:

Charlie's offer probably goes something like this:

[spoiler]1) Turn Albert to Transylvito.

That's a good idea, and would explain how he could offer a prince in one turn instead of the seven he mentioned to Vanna. But Charlie specifically said "the one you're popping", so that can't be it.