Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

RillAkBea posted:

I woke up too early today but the weather was nice enough that I decided to get outside and do the spark plugs on my Miata that I meant to do at the weekend when it was too hot.

(1-4 left to right)

I don't think they're too terrible, right?

Might be a little lean, especially in the center. But not awful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
When cleaning out the Maverick last night I inadvertently cut my arm and didn't realize until I saw some spots on the upholstery. After a solid panic session I got home and was able to completely get it out by flushing it with peroxide and then hitting it with the carpet cleaner. Close call.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

H2SO4 posted:

When cleaning out the Maverick last night I inadvertently cut my arm and didn't realize until I saw some spots on the upholstery. After a solid panic session I got home and was able to completely get it out by flushing it with peroxide and then hitting it with the carpet cleaner. Close call.

Your arm or the car?

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
The rad started to leak on my '84 s10 and it was full of garbage, didn't have the time or money to pull the rad. Shoved some of the green bondo in there and made it to the dump! Definitely time for a new rad, though.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Update on that head repair and rotating assembly refresh from a few months back

At the time, the repair budget mostly went to replacing bearings, timing chain guides, and pumps. This means a new head has to go in, but compared to the alternative of swapping a head on a 150,000 mile motor, I think it was the right choice.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Jesus :stonk:

... was that damage from the engine running, or removing the plug? It looks like the former.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Your arm or the car?

:iiam:

Got the blood out of the upholstery. It's all original inside so my heart really dropped when I first saw the spots.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

kastein posted:

Jesus :stonk:

... was that damage from the engine running, or removing the plug? It looks like the former.

It was a Ford aluminum head issue where the spark plug was blown out of the threads. I took the head to a machine shop and they put threads in it, which failed. That was the easy part, though. We also tore down the rotating assembly and replaced bearings, pumps, and seals. It sucks but the work wasn't wasted, since he's still got a refreshed rotating assembly.

Someone here mentioned the thread insert we got wasn't the best type, but I mean, I did the best I could with the information I had at the time. I suppose my mistake was assuming the machine shop would take care of me in exchange for dollars.

Apparently the Ford aluminum heads have or had an issue where the plugs were only seated on four threads, and plug blowouts are common in the modular V8s. Like, that part is not my fault and I don't beat myself up over this.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Elsa posted:

It was a Ford aluminum head issue where the spark plug was blown out of the threads. I took the head to a machine shop and they put threads in it, which failed. That was the easy part, though. We also tore down the rotating assembly and replaced bearings, pumps, and seals. It sucks but the work wasn't wasted, since he's still got a refreshed rotating assembly.

Someone here mentioned the thread insert we got wasn't the best type, but I mean, I did the best I could with the information I had at the time. I suppose my mistake was assuming the machine shop would take care of me in exchange for dollars.

Apparently the Ford aluminum heads have or had an issue where the plugs were only seated on four threads, and plug blowouts are common in the modular V8s. Like, that part is not my fault and I don't beat myself up over this.

You shouldn't . That is a very common problem on older Ford v8s. They all sound like old trains did when they blow a plug. Some people don't seat the insert well enough or under torque the plug .

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Elsa posted:

Yeah that's entirely on Ford. The only thing worse than their idiot design that spitefully throws plugs back at you is the design after it IIRC, which is all klepto and keeps half the plug when you try to unscrew it.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

kastein posted:

Yeah that's entirely on Ford. The only thing worse than their idiot design that spitefully throws plugs back at you is the design after it IIRC, which is all klepto and keeps half the plug when you try to unscrew it.

gently caress THAT REMINDS ME... I DIDN'T TAKE MY PLUGS OUT TODAY.

BRB GUYS!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I didn't do it personally but I picked this up today from a very nice man with a whole bunch of metal munching machinery.

It is SO less lovely than how I left it with him. He's machined it perfectly flat, done a complete valve job on it and shimmed it all up.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

88h88 posted:

I didn't do it personally but I picked this up today from a very nice man with a whole bunch of metal munching machinery.

It is SO less lovely than how I left it with him. He's machined it perfectly flat, done a complete valve job on it and shimmed it all up.

That's really pretty. Good choice in machinists!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

meatpimp posted:

That's really pretty. Good choice in machinists!

I asked a group of car dorks who was great locally and this guy's name was mentioned by someone I trust. It's a very oldschool place, completely shabby on the outside, cracked window, bunch of old crap in the front...

Inside was floor to ceiling machinery and engine bits as far as the eye could see. Definitely a good bloke who will no doubt get more money in the future from me.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

I did a brake job on the poo poo-spec Civic Hatch. The driver rear drum was relatively easy to pull off, but the passenger side was SO stuck that it forced me to break out my thinking cap and customize a gear puller to get it off. As I was doing this job, I also realized that the stuck drum was the reason for the comically loose parking brake lever. Some previous owner had the bright idea to loosen the lever to try and compensate for the non-rotating rear wheel.
Gear puller as purchased

Gear puller as modified for Civic drums

Pretty new drums

I got Powerstop drilled/slotted rotors and carbon ceramic pads for the front, as the whole package only cost $102. Witness me!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Should've painted those drums, mine rusted the next day :(

At least they're easy to remove now!

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Should've painted those drums, mine rusted the next day :(

At least they're easy to remove now!

I thought about it but I was so ready to be done with it...

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Imperador do Brasil posted:

I thought about it but I was so ready to be done with it...

Same here, that's why they're rusty on mine. :v:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Finally got the broken fan out and a new one in.

The surround around the blades was broken and had a piece sticking out. Fan was vibrating and rattling pretty bad.

A hearty gently caress you to GM for making it so the fan can only come out through the bottom.

e: vvvv mayyyybe :quagmire:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Sep 3, 2016

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

some texas redneck posted:

Finally got the broken fan out and a new one in.

The surround around the blades was broken and had a piece sticking out. Fan was vibrating and rattling pretty bad.

A hearty gently caress you to GM for making it so the fan can only come out through the bottom.

I thought you liked bottom (I keed I keed)

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

poo poo-spec civic got new rear deck speakers since the factory paper cones were blown out. Now I can listen to music without rattling noises coming from the back. $34 at Walmart for meh quality speakers and ten minutes of work.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Turned a corner today, new cam bearings installed and the cam went back in with a ton of assembly lube. Parts went back on instead of coming off!!!!

Did all 5 from the front with the universal tool by lisle, not bad overall. Three of5 bearings were missing material but the cam meets spec fortunately.

Next up timing cover and new seal, then on and on... I cleaned up a lot of tools today and sorted my bolts by size which should help.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
Yesterday, I helped a friend replace a set of shift solenoids in his wife's Mazda 3. The fluid had been changed less than 2 weeks prior and looked just as dirty and gross both times, and it hasn't even hit 80,000 miles. Apparently this is not uncommon...

As far as my car goes, I spent most of the past few weekends disassembling the interior to replace the broken driver's seat belt along with the failing radio antenna module and factory rear deck speakers with new sub-woofers and amplifier. Today I finished the last of cleaning the seats, trim panels and glass and putting it all back together, followed by setting and tuning the radio and the new amp. Sounds great so far, pics to come after sleep...

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
It's because a shitload of old fluid is trapped in the torque converter and valve body, so a single fluid change doesnt do much.

For example, Honda has you do three consecutive fluid changes, using 2 quarts of their mystery transmission fluid each time, with a 10 mile drive in-between.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Dropped off miscellaneous stuff at the stripper for cleaning, intake manifold the most important of those. I was burned out from scrubbing these things by hand, and this stuff is all way to fiddly to waste my life for.

I also mailed off my clutch to get rebuilt, since I don't live the apparently wonderful life of Big 3 pickup owners who can buy new ones for a bill.

I've also started taking the front of the truck apart to aid in reinstall, and doing a better job of organizing the fasteners.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

StormDrain posted:

Dropped off miscellaneous stuff at the stripper for cleaning

Must've been to these guys, then:

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
e: NVM, must read entire thread before responding 2 pages late.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
I got rid of the lovely turbo heatshield on my car and put on a proper blanket. No one told me they were basically a sheet of tiny razors. My arms are destroyed.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Please don't start photoshopping cars. The world doesn't need another preggo prius comic.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Miatabounce is the best $10 I've ever spent.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Elmnt80 posted:

Please don't start photoshopping cars. The world doesn't need another preggo prius comic.

I don't know what you're talking about and I'm not going to look

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

I'm into it

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Raised my Golf by 2"!

Finally!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

scuz posted:

Raised my Golf by 2"!

Finally!

Time for some bigass wheels.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

Time for some bigass wheels.

Yep. Asking for Discount Tire gift cards for Christmas.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Wife unit took the truck and went riding today.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

scuz posted:

Yep. Asking for Discount Tire gift cards for Christmas.

I'd love to do that to an old hot hatch but I have to stop being irresponsible with money for some stupid reason.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

I'd love to do that to an old hot hatch but I have to stop being irresponsible with money for some stupid reason.

I'm modding for two now. When I do the paint/livery, what should I do? I was hoping to do some 16-bit-esque block-y thing cuz it'll be easy to mask off!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

scuz posted:

Raised my Golf by 2"!

Finally!

Spacers?