Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Here we go again I am ready for another three pages of poo poo posts about who likes what

GlitchThief posted:

So just to be clear, the top VGC players are definitely hacking their Pokemon, right? That's what it means when one of them drops something like "you can't hack skill"?

I find it hard to believe people in the VGC have the patience to SR their restricteds until they have the right IVs and Natures. Regular mons I can see it going either way but no one has the patience for legendaries, especially when they're ubiquitous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

he's a yugioh protagonist, making him the best

i activate close combat, wrecking your poo poo

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

Internet Kraken posted:

Gallade is dumb and bad. Male Krilia deserve to be fabulous by becoming Gardevoirs.

male kirlia can still become gardevoirs, if you just keep leveling them instead of using the dawn stone

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Bongo Bill posted:

Everything I like is bad, everything you like is good.

same but the oppos- wait what???????

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Kerrrrrrr posted:

it looks really stupid

why does it have a bubble butt

Don't be jealous just cause your squat game is inferior to Gallade.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Oh, christ, that thing had TWO evolutions?!

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
i still don't understand why people hate vanillite other than "it's an ice cream cone!!!!"

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
yeah vanille is fun. i mean i would never use it because it's an ice type, but if i did i would call it "mr. whippy"

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I know the TCGO thread is dead, but I just back into the cardgame too and in TCGO I pulled two Shaymin-EXes, holy poo poo!!

Too bad they're not real ones or else I could sell them for $60+ a pop.

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009
Ice/Steel flash fire mega vanilluxe hot fudge sundae is the ice cream of my dreams

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Gammatron 64 posted:

I know the TCGO thread is dead, but I just back into the cardgame too and in TCGO I pulled two Shaymin-EXes, holy poo poo!!

Too bad they're not real ones or else I could sell them for $60+ a pop.

Even when i played the tcgo a lot i didn't really use that thread as a personal blog about my tcgo experiences so I only really post there to reply to other people.

Grats on your digital shaymin-ex's though! And enjoy using them for another year because they didn't rotate :haw:

oh wait I'm talking about this thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3762238&pagenumber=1

(please post in my thread, or tell me what you would like to see in it)

Zoness fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Aug 30, 2016

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
I think Slurpuff is actually the pokemon-version of Marnie the dog

not sure how anyone can hate that goober :3:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
no self respecting goon should hate slurpuff because belly drum slurpuff is like the epitome of goon sets

which reminds me of another use for IV's - adjusting hp values for belly drum and half hp berries.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

yeah vanille is fun. i mean i would never use it because it's an ice type, but if i did i would call it "mr. whippy"

I had one in Black version called Foreigner that I tried to use for a little bit, but because It Is An Ice Type, it would basically only survive more than a single hit from anything if its defense was boosted several times from Acid Armor. :smith:

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Zoness posted:

Even when i played the tcgo a lot i didn't really use that thread as a personal blog about my tcgo experiences so I only really post there to reply to other people.

Grats on your digital shaymin-ex's though! And enjoy using them for another year because they didn't rotate :haw:

oh wait I'm talking about this thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3762238&pagenumber=1

(please post in my thread, or tell me what you would like to see in it)

Oh I didn't realize there was another one. I was referring to the one Mercury Crusader made that's now archived.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Gammatron 64 posted:

Oh I didn't realize there was another one. I was referring to the one Mercury Crusader made that's now archived.

i didn't know there was an old one :frogbon:

I kind of picked up the game from talking to someone who works on it.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Zoness posted:

i didn't know there was an old one :frogbon:

I kind of picked up the game from talking to someone who works on it.

It was in the OP of the last thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3572534

Well, now I know there's a new one at least!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

being mean to the exploud line is illegal, for the record

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
What generations is mewtwo catchable in

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
When B/W first came out I thought Vanilluxe was one of the worst pokemon ever. Now he's my favorite ice type. I dunno why but the dumb thing grew on me.

Calaveron posted:

Red/Blue, FireRed/LeafGreen, HeartGold/SoulSilver, and X/Y.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I can never hate Vanilluxe because of this comic

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

It sounds like VGC uses a restrictive format that all-but requires cheating to compete in. Given that Smogon has competitive tiers and Showdown lets you just enter the values you want anyway, it sounds to my noob ears like that is the more fun way to play.

Maybe I'll give it a look after I beat Sun.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

GlitchThief posted:

It sounds like VGC uses a restrictive format that all-but requires cheating to compete in. Given that Smogon has competitive tiers and Showdown lets you just enter the values you want anyway, it sounds to my noob ears like that is the more fun way to play.

Maybe I'll give it a look after I beat Sun.

The format VGC uses changes by season, When its not a stupid one where legendaries are allowed to run rampant, its not hard to make a proper team without hacking.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

More poo poo opinions: I've never cared about Goodra, I feel it's a step back design-wise. Its first two stages are super adorable, and then it shits the bed and becomes a fat anime. :(

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

GlitchThief posted:

It sounds like VGC uses a restrictive format that all-but requires cheating to compete in.

uh no not really

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Yeah I would say VGC really only "promotes" cheating by allowing in a set of legendaries. So the IV + nature struggle, to make it competitive... You can imagine the obvious solution there.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I regret that on this replay of XY I set out to use Pokemon I had never used before, rather than banking in a level 5 team of the most elegant mons around

Gardevoir, Milotic, Froslass, Lilligant, Meowstic

and Garchomp

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Brother Entropy posted:

uh no not really

Well I guess you could put in all the time to be competitive with a bunch of other people who cheat.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Pentaro posted:

More poo poo opinions: I've never cared about Goodra, I feel it's a step back design-wise. Its first two stages are super adorable, and then it shits the bed and becomes a fat anime. :(

Goodra is the worst. I like Goomy and think Sliggoo is super adorable and amazing. One of my favorite designs. Then instead of continuing with the snail theme, it turns into a pink goopy version of Dragonite. It doesn't even keep its little slimy shell!

Sometimes I'm tempted to come up with an eviolite Sligoo strat but I know it wouldn't effective at all in doubles.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

GlitchThief posted:

Well I guess you could put in all the time to be competitive with a bunch of other people who cheat.

the only difference between a legit pokemon that was bred or resetted for a billion times to get and a hacked but still vgc legal pokemon is how much time it took to get

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Brother Entropy posted:

the only difference between a legit pokemon that was bred or resetted for a billion times to get and a hacked but still vgc legal pokemon is how much time it took to get

I'm merely the student here, so forgive me for asking, but if I went to a VGC event and just before facing off I told a judge, "By the way, all my Pokemon are generated from outside the game; who has time for this poo poo" what would be the event-legal response?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Calaveron posted:

RBY (1), FR/LG (3), HG/SS (4), X/Y (6)

...I actually forgot you couldn't catch him in regular GSC, there's just the Berserk Gene in the water nearby, so it's a good thing I looked it up!

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
there is a software-based hackmon checker which is basically the means by which your pokemon are deemed legal or not

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Zoness posted:

there is a software-based hackmon checker which is basically the means by which your pokemon are deemed legal or not

That's pretty cool. Is it just checking for impossible Pokemon, or does it actually have a way to tell if a Pokemon has been hacked in?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Zoness posted:

How precise is that thing, anyway? I mean, if you just make sure to have the right trainer ID, secret ID, a reasonable time/region caught, in the correct ball, how could they tell? And maybe not even a time-based check unless they specifically want to catch people who RNG manipulate.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I'm not not sure there are some basically impossible pokemon (based on pokemon/ability/pokeball it's in) that are allowed by the hack checker, but it can catch pokemon that otherwise are legal in terms of moves, ability, stats but have some wrong bits set in the data

I believe anything that would have an illegal stat/move/ability would definitely be thrown out, but the pokeball thing is weird.

Having messed a bit with pokegen to play around with ubers on gen 4 cartridges (gen 4 ruleset :getin:), there are definitely some bits in a pokemon's data that don't have a strict correspondence to any externally visible data on the pokemon, which I believe act as a checksum for the rest of the pokemon's data.

Any pokemon made with in-game methods, including rng manipulation (as opposed to generated bitwise) and probably by breeding with a generated/prng'd ditto, should always pass a hack check.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 30, 2016

jarbv
Jul 10, 2004

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

This was my favorite ice evolution line for a while so I name a few different ones different flavors of ice cream

I have a lvl 100 Pistachio and wonder traded away a lvl 98 Rocky Road :wooper:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
for example, this guy used an aegislash that while for all battling purposes was legal had an impossible pokemon/ball combination (but could have been bred from a generated pokemon and therefore not generated itself) and it passed the hack checker:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/07/controversy_arises_at_us_pokemon_nationals_with_regards_to_cheating

(he also didn't win with it)

vvv yeah same incident

Zoness fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Aug 30, 2016

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

That link is blocked for me, but I was doing my own reading and found this, which I presume is the same incident.

It sounds like the players get a lot of deniability due to the undetectability of the legitimacy of a Pokemon's parents. And yeah, I get it. Pokemon trading is a thing, a BIG part of the game, so of course you're not gonna go into a tournament with like, a family tree for each of your Pokemon.

It still sounds, to my uneducated brain, like they do regard hacking in Pokemon as cheating though. I mean apparently it was a big deal when it turned out one of these guys even might have been in association with someone who hacked in the process of breeding out one of his Pokemon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Cheating should be allowed.