Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Gilgamesh is basically the main character of FF5 as far as spinoffs go. But really when it comes to like FF6 I think most people don't consider Terra the most memorable at all for example

Terra's absolutely the 'lead' character. She's the one you begin playing as, the one the plot revolves around even when she isn't in your party, and even if you don't recruit her in FF6's endgame she returns in the ending. The finale of the end is the dramatic "is Terra alive or dead?!" thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

how can terra be the lead when she doesn't do the train meme

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Gilgamesh is basically the main character of FF5 as far as spinoffs go. But really when it comes to like FF6 I think most people don't consider Terra the most memorable at all for example

When the "main" character's an amnesiac whose specialty is just casting magic it's easy to get overshadowed by a guy that dons a hockey mask when attacking with a chainsaw, a guy that can suplex trains, a dancing moogle, or a wild boy you find roaming the veldt.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Nobody remembers Gau

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I remember Gau because he's probably the singularly most overpowered broken Final Fantasy character ever and easily in the top 10 most broken JRPG characters.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Tellah died for your spoony sins.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

ImpAtom posted:

I remember Gau because he's probably the singularly most overpowered broken Final Fantasy character ever and easily in the top 10 most broken JRPG characters.

Yeah, turns out "Magic Berserker" is loving nuts when you can mostly control what magic they're using without a resource

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

counterpoint: Vaan is boring and dumb

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Y'shtola :geno:

Anyone else from FF14 :)

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Terper posted:

Y'shtola :geno:

Anyone else from FF14 :)

Minfilia. Yeah, I'll take the snarky cat.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

For what it's worth I haven't played since my first thirty days were up

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
should've been godbert tbh

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Terper posted:

For what it's worth I haven't played since my first thirty days were up

Yda is the girl you want to represent FF14.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

General Morden posted:

should've been godbert tbh

The game needs a semblance of balance.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

godbert not utilizing his full potential

godbert not embracing the power of the murderous intent

not so serious mr. godbert

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

That's our Malboro! *laughtrack*

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

is that billy herrington

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I could see Hildebrand as a second FF14 rep, actually. Guy's pretty drat popular last I played and the game could use another comic relief type like Greg.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

General Morden posted:

is that billy herrington

Nah, he's on his world tour.

I don't think anyone has embraced his weird internet fame more. :allears:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I would assume a 2nd rep from any game will have to be a villain to counterpart the hero rep. Probably Gaius or maybe Lahabrea.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Nyx's rear end for Dissidia imo

Mega64
May 23, 2008

What's the thing next to the lamp?

Cocksmith
Dec 28, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

Terra's absolutely the 'lead' character. She's the one you begin playing as, the one the plot revolves around even when she isn't in your party, and even if you don't recruit her in FF6's endgame she returns in the ending. The finale of the end is the dramatic "is Terra alive or dead?!" thing.

I've never played past meeting Gestahl but up to that point she's like the only character of any importance to the plot whatsoever.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I think Terra's problem with feeling "Memorable" come down the route split, spending until Zozo out of the active party, and then even when she's back having her story be "What is love?"

And then the World of Ruin happens. She's absolutely the main character, but she's not very memorable, her personality is very low key compared to Edgar, Locke or Sabin.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

To bring up age-old arguments about the main character of FF6, people get thrown off when the WoR hits and suddenly Celes is the new PoV character. Celes's personal story still isn't central to the plot though, rather she's the catalyst for bringing everyone back together. The ending focuses much more on resolving Terra's storyline than the others, and the second half of the ending in particular focuses primarily on her. Plus the main theme of the game is finding love, which pretty much every character does in the WoR (Celes looking for Locke, Locke trying to revive his dead girlfriend, Cyan dealing with the loss of his family while protecting the Maranda woman from discovering her loss, family love with Edgar/Sabin, Strago/Relm/Shadow, and Gau/Insane Old Man, Umaro's love of sitting on the bench, and so on), and Terra is the focus point of that theme all the way through, including her resolution of becoming a mother figure for a bunch of abandoned orphans and a couple of horny teenagers.

The main character is Terra.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, the WoR plot is basically:

Terra wakes up
Getting Terra to the Returners.
The Returners try to get Terra to Narshe.
Oh no! Terra is missing. We have to find her.
We found Terra, now we have to rescue the Espers (including her father)
Terra wakes up, the Returners ask her to talk to the Espers.
She does, the Espers go batshit
Ghestal asks Terra to negotiate a peace treaty with the Espers.
Hahaha, turns out he's a poo poo! Oh no, everything explodes!

Her importance dies off somewhat in the WoR where the plot becomes "kick Kefka in the junk" but even there she's the character with the absolute closest connection to the central plot and the major threat of defeating Kefka ("it will end magic") applies meaningfully only to her.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, the WoR plot is basically:

Terra wakes up
Getting Terra to the Returners.
The Returners try to get Terra to Narshe.
Oh no! Terra is missing. We have to find her.
We found Terra, now we have to rescue the Espers (including her father)
Terra wakes up, the Returners ask her to talk to the Espers.
She does, the Espers go batshit
Ghestal asks Terra to negotiate a peace treaty with the Espers.
Hahaha, turns out he's a poo poo! Oh no, everything explodes!

Her importance dies off somewhat in the WoR where the plot becomes "kick Kefka in the junk" but even there she's the character with the absolute closest connection to the central plot and the major threat of defeating Kefka ("it will end magic") applies meaningfully only to her.

And I didn't know until I watch a tas, that even if you don't visit Terra in the World of Ruins, she will still show up for the ending.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also iirc, the dudes making Dissidia didn't want to just flat out use villains for the Chaos side they wanted character rivalries, people with a known relationship to the character so there was something more to it. It kind of begs why Ultimecia's in it, but I can very easily see them not wanting to do Seifer's shtick for the game.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

anothergod posted:

I remember playing Dissidia on PSP and being pretty peeved that we only got "the heroes" and "villains". There are so many other interesting characters in Final Fantasy, but the pretty hero/villain thing just is so.... boring. Off the top of my head I can think of: Sabin, Balthier, Fran, a moogle (Cait Sith?), Vivi, Red XII, Barett, Biggs and Wedge (IN MAGITECH ARMOR?!?), Bahamut, Odin, Vincent, any of the weirdos from FFX, Atma Weapon, Chupon, Motherfucking Ultros (maybe Ultros and Chupon together?), Gilgamesh, BAMF General Leo, FuSoYa/Tellah, Porom/Palom, etc. Aye. Ugh. Why. Are they fixing that for Dissidia? Nobody gets hype for Mario in Smash Bros....

nobody gets hype for Blooper or Impa in smash either

Cocksmith
Dec 28, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Vincent is awful. why would anybody want to play as him?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

It's kinda amusing that Cloud's been in three different fighting game franchises.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Brother Entropy posted:

FF4's identical superfluous old wizard stereotypes

tfw u invented the archetypes (barring tellah) and then used them so hard over the next twenty-five years that the game u invented them in is now considered cliche

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Baal posted:

Also iirc, the dudes making Dissidia didn't want to just flat out use villains for the Chaos side they wanted character rivalries, people with a known relationship to the character so there was something more to it. It kind of begs why Ultimecia's in it, but I can very easily see them not wanting to do Seifer's shtick for the game.

Because Rinoa is Ultimecia, Duh

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I like how Tellah is the end result of what Cecil would've been if he stayed a Dark Knight. Well, theoretically since even as a bringer of death and devastation to all Cecil was still a goody-two-shoes.

I still really like FF4's story in general. I could probably spend an entire day talking about how much I like it.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Mega64 posted:

I like how Tellah is the end result of what Cecil would've been if he stayed a Dark Knight.

Dead?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Mega64 posted:

To bring up age-old arguments about the main character of FF6, people get thrown off when the WoR hits and suddenly Celes is the new PoV character. Celes's personal story still isn't central to the plot though, rather she's the catalyst for bringing everyone back together. The ending focuses much more on resolving Terra's storyline than the others, and the second half of the ending in particular focuses primarily on her. Plus the main theme of the game is finding love, which pretty much every character does in the WoR (Celes looking for Locke, Locke trying to revive his dead girlfriend, Cyan dealing with the loss of his family while protecting the Maranda woman from discovering her loss, family love with Edgar/Sabin, Strago/Relm/Shadow, and Gau/Insane Old Man, Umaro's love of sitting on the bench, and so on), and Terra is the focus point of that theme all the way through, including her resolution of becoming a mother figure for a bunch of abandoned orphans and a couple of horny teenagers.

The main character is Terra.
There's plenty of other internet analysis claiming FF6 is a coming of age tale for both Celes and Terra, so instead I will just remind everyone of the revisionist baka gaijin translation that rendered Tina as Terra, when its clear the two girls should get equal billing as the composite main character CelesTina.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Mega64 posted:

I like how Tellah is the end result of what Cecil would've been if he stayed a Dark Knight. Well, theoretically since even as a bringer of death and devastation to all Cecil was still a goody-two-shoes.

I still really like FF4's story in general. I could probably spend an entire day talking about how much I like it.

I agree. Tellah was hands down my favorite FFIV character. His arc and involvement just felt really well done and believable.

Cocksmith posted:

Vincent is awful. why would anybody want to play as him?

Because he's probably one of the most popular VII characters which is quite impressive considering he's optional.

It's kinda funny. Something I noticed when thinking about Amarant in FFIX, I wanted to liken him to other F party members. There really aren't many of the "dark, aloof, mysterious loners " n the series. There's Shadow, there's Vincent, there's Amarant and...that's it.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

auron, sort of

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

This is original for Dissidia, right? This isn't from a game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's a new version of the boss theme from 012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGcRVfOCWb4

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Aug 31, 2016