Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Coogs need to crush OU this weekend so it'll look like the Big 12 is just shook

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Intruder posted:

If that's real I hope the Big 12 dies

If UT and OU aren't going to extend the GoR it's just a matter of time before it happens.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

General Dog posted:

Among other things, why would Tech be so gung-ho about inviting Houston?

Tech is using the fact that there's almost 0 chance that Houston gets the support they need from the rest of the Big XII to turn it into a political advantage for next legislative session's vet school fight.

"Hey, we tried to get you into the Big XII, you need to support Tech's vet school"

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

kayakyakr posted:

Tech is using the fact that there's almost 0 chance that Houston gets the support they need from the rest of the Big XII to turn it into a political advantage for next legislative session's vet school fight.

"Hey, we tried to get you into the Big XII, you need to support Tech's vet school"

I'm assuming the vote isn't supposed to be public though

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Intruder posted:

If that's real I hope the Big 12 dies

I have good news

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

General Dog posted:

I'm assuming the vote isn't supposed to be public though

I think Tech's going at it in sincerity, and will probably both publicly and privately support UH. UT also wants something from UH, but I do not expect them to be sincere in their support.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Breaking down that voting because what the hell we still have two days until games are here to be watched:

-Dead in the water are Air Force/Rice (0 votes), UNLV/San Diego State (1 vote), and Arkansas State (4 votes). Interestingly, New Mexico received 7 votes but two vetoes, from the Kansas schools. I'm curious as to how that divide occurred.
-I'm not sure how the vetoes were setup; my gut instinct is that everyone got two vetoes to use as they saw fit, but were under no obligation to use them. It's not a matter of Texas/Oklahoma get two and everyone else got one/none since West Virginia used two, but I doubt we'll find out.
-If the Big 12 does expand, Cincinnati's all but in. Five schools (Kansas/K-St/Oklahoma/Texas/West Virginia) gave their highest votes, and with the two kingmakers voting in approval it's all but clinched. Texas Tech was the only one really not on board but they won't be able to kill the deal if it occurs.
-Houston getting four vetoes (Oklahomas/TCU/Texas) means their hopes are dashed. Yes, Texas supporting Houston in public then stabbing them in the back privately are hilarious but that's texanpolitics.txt for you.
-The next highest vote-getters would be teams moving up. Colorado State (63 votes, including 10s from Iowa State/Oklahoma State) and Northern Illinois (57 votes) don't have universal support, but they don't have any real detractors. CSU's has Kansas/West Virginia not really on board and NIU's support comes from a vast supply of middle votes, and whether that support would continue as voting progressed is key. NIU would be the ultimate "we have to expand just pick anyone we can agree on" compromise, as it's hard to see their selection really expanding the Big 12's influence.
-The schools who want BYU really want them, with 9s and 8s being given. But the four who don't want BYU really don't want them, with Oklahoma State/West Virginia vetoing and Baylor/TCU not voting for them. I think they're done for as well.
-UConn is all over the board, with strong support from Baylor/Kansas but a veto from Texas Tech and a no-vote from Iowa State. Memphis is in the same situation, getting maxed from Tech and no-voted by West Virginia, but no one vetoed them.
-No one else got enough votes to be a factor. It looks like going to 14 is out, and it'd be a struggle to decide who to admit along with Cincinnati to get to 12.
-First place votes: Cincinnati 5(Kansas/Kansas State/Oklahoma/Texas/West Virginia), Colorado State 2(Iowa State/Oklahoma State), UConn (Baylor), Boise State (TCU), Memphis (Texas Tech)
-Vetoes: Houston 4(Oklahoma/Oklahoma State/TCU/Texas), BYU 2(Oklahoma State/West Virginia), East Carolina 2(Kansas/Kansas State), New Mexico 2(Kansas/Kansas State), SMU 2(Oklahoma/Texas), UConn (Texas Tech), Boise State (West Virginia)

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Intruder posted:

Coogs need to crush OU this weekend so it'll look like the Big 12 is just shook

disagree

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Rumor has it Bob Bowlsby has trimmed the candidate schools to 8 at most, and it's pretty obvious who on the list of 20 aren't on there.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/McMurphyESPN/status/770972655461797888

Looks like we have started the rose ceremony portion of this thing

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

How long have you had that picture queued up and ready to go?

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
This also came out late yesterday:

http://www.commercialappeal.com/spo...-391823321.html

Basically claims that BYU, Cincinnati, Houston, Memphis, UConn, South Florida and Central Florida, plus one or two other unnamed schools have been listed as finalists and asked to make a presentation at the October meetings.

Also, if we renamed NIU to Chicago Tech or something that played up their proximity to Chicago, then I might consider being OK with their candidacy.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

kayakyakr posted:

Basically claims that BYU, Cincinnati, Houston, Memphis, UConn, South Florida and Central Florida, plus one or two other unnamed schools have been listed as finalists and asked to make a presentation at the October meetings.

Also, if we renamed NIU to Chicago Tech or something that played up their proximity to Chicago, then I might consider being OK with their candidacy.

Aw, Tulane didn't make the cut.

I guess I'm still on the Cinci and Memphis train if we have to do this and that's the list of possibilities. But I still want to stay at ten.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Thoguh posted:

Aw, Tulane didn't make the cut.

I guess I'm still on the Cinci and Memphis train if we have to do this and that's the list of possibilities. But I still want to stay at ten.

Tulane might be one of the two unnamed schools.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

CaptainYesterday posted:

Tulane might be one of the two unnamed schools.

If they're too fringe to be named specifically in a list of eight finalists competing for two spots, they're not getting in.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Oof, Boise State with more support than Tulane. The dream is dead.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/ChuckCarltonDMN/status/771014951863365632

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

kayakyakr posted:

Rumors have last two as SMU and Tulane.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I generally support Memphis since I went to grad school there, but I'll have to decide if that remains true with them in a bigger conference. I should be excited for the opportunity but I'm more concerned that it will negatively affect Tennessee recruiting.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I kind of doubt it will affect Tennessee all that much considering they're on opposite sides of the state, and I'm sure most Tennesseans are more SEC fans than Big 12 fans. Does UT get that many kids from Memphis?

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
I guess Cincy and UCF would be my picks. BYU makes sense in a lot of ways but I don't feel that great about promoting the brand of another another weirdo private religious school known for silencing rape victims by threatening to discipline/publicly shame them for drinking or being unchaste. So, now that I've typed that out and actually thought it through, gently caress BYU forever. And Baylor. If we could trade Baylor for Houston and then add Cincy and UCF I'd be pleased as punch. Add Tulane and Memphis if we want to do 14.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Thermos H Christ posted:

I guess Cincy and UCF would be my picks. BYU makes sense in a lot of ways but I don't feel that great about promoting the brand of another another weirdo private religious school known for silencing rape victims by threatening to discipline/publicly shame them for drinking or being unchaste. So, now that I've typed that out and actually thought it through, gently caress BYU forever. And Baylor. If we could trade Baylor for Houston and then add Cincy and UCF I'd be pleased as punch. Add Tulane and Memphis if we want to do 14.

Whatever it takes to get Texas to 8 wins.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Cincinnati and Memphis are highest on my preferred list. Ideally the geography of the conference could stand to be unfucked, and while Cincinnati and Memphis are are still within the general footprint (barely, in Memphis's case), UCF is literally the exact opposite.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Strobe posted:

Cincinnati and Memphis are highest on my preferred list. Ideally the geography of the conference could stand to be unfucked, and while Cincinnati and Memphis are are still within the general footprint (barely, in Memphis's case), UCF is literally the exact opposite.

That's basically my thoughts on it. Geographically they help fill in the gap between the Mississippi and West Virginia, they give the Big XII recruiting footholds in places that currently belong to the Big Ten and SEC, and they would also be competitive in basketball. I'd rather add some big land grant schools to make up for the ones we've lost. But at least they are public state universities and out of of the list of realistic candidates they're the least unacceptable.

Pimp Cauldron
Aug 3, 2002

A twisted pictoral of phoenix, AZ

Houston + SMU, rename the state of Texas to Big Twelve

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Thoguh posted:

That's basically my thoughts on it. Geographically they help fill in the gap between the Mississippi and West Virginia, they give the Big XII recruiting footholds in places that currently belong to the Big Ten and SEC, and they would also be competitive in basketball. I'd rather add some big land grant schools to make up for the ones we've lost. But at least they are public state universities and out of of the list of realistic candidates they're the least unacceptable.

I like Cincy and Memphis too for pretty much the same reasons. Ohio doesn't really care about Cincinnati, but anything helps, and I'd rather the conference look east with those teams, than west with BYU. I really don't want UCF because then we have yet another school all out by itself, no matter how much getting to play in Florida would help recruiting.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Thoguh posted:

Cincinnati, Memphis, +UCF, Tulane, BYU, UConn #letsgetweird

Pimp Cauldron posted:

Houston + SMU, rename the state of Texas to Big Twelve

Then the University of Texas would be the University of Big Twelve?

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Cincinnati and Houston, please. Cincinnati's pros don't even need to be stated at this point; if the Big 12 expands they're pretty much a lock. I know all the handwringing about Houston regarding recruiting in the Big 12 and MORE TEXAS, but they make sense geographically and are located in a large metro, which makes access/transportation easy if nothing else. If not Houston, then Tulane. Good academic school, and away games in Nawlins would be so awesome.

Thermos H Christ posted:

gently caress BYU forever

:agreed:

:agreed:

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

Bird in a Blender posted:

I like Cincy and Memphis too for pretty much the same reasons. Ohio doesn't really care about Cincinnati, but anything helps, and I'd rather the conference look east with those teams, than west with BYU. I really don't want UCF because then we have yet another school all out by itself, no matter how much getting to play in Florida would help recruiting.

But would it really help recruiting all that much? "Come to the Big XII and get to play in your home state twice in your four years here while being 1000 miles away the other 99% of the time." Actually if they go to 12 it might be only once, depending on how it's split.

I think Cincinnati and Houston make the most sense, but Houston probably isn't happening so Memphis would be my next choice. Filling in geographically between Texas and West Virginia just makes sense, which probably means they won't do it. I still think they made a mistake not taking Louisville when they had the chance, which would have made Cincinnati even more of a no-brainer.

Pimp Cauldron
Aug 3, 2002

A twisted pictoral of phoenix, AZ

kayakyakr posted:

Then the University of Texas would be the University of Big Twelve?

i mean, sounds about right doesn't it?

Big Twelve Christian Unit
Big Twelve Tech
Big Twelve A&M...gently caress

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

But would it really help recruiting all that much? "Come to the Big XII and get to play in your home state twice in your four years here while being 1000 miles away the other 99% of the time." Actually if they go to 12 it might be only once, depending on how it's split.

I think Cincinnati and Houston make the most sense, but Houston probably isn't happening so Memphis would be my next choice. Filling in geographically between Texas and West Virginia just makes sense, which probably means they won't do it. I still think they made a mistake not taking Louisville when they had the chance, which would have made Cincinnati even more of a no-brainer.

Well playing once or twice in four years is better than none. Also, if a kid just goes to a Cincy game because it's close to home, at least you're getting some exposure. I'm not saying the Big 12 is all of a sudden going to dominate Ohio recruiting, but it's a start, and the Big 10 teams would essentially play just as many games in Ohio as the Big 12 teams would.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Pimp Cauldron posted:

i mean, sounds about right doesn't it?

Big Twelve Christian Unit
Big Twelve Tech
Big Twelve A&M...gently caress

University of Big Twelve El Paso
University of Big Twelve San Antonio
University of Big Twelve Arlington
University of Big Twelve Rio Grande Valley

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Tulane likely out.
https://twitter.com/jimbcbs4/status/771088763938344960
Looks like it's back to not liking the Big 12 until the next round of conference expansion for me.

I thought this story meant they were probably in the 8. (so they could pretend to care about academics a little longer.)
http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/2016/08/tulane_big_12_troy_dannen.html

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Just came to post that. I mean, about CSU being still alive.

I love conference realignment season.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

TipTow posted:

Cincinnati and Houston, please. Cincinnati's pros don't even need to be stated at this point; if the Big 12 expands they're pretty much a lock. I know all the handwringing about Houston regarding recruiting in the Big 12 and MORE TEXAS, but they make sense geographically and are located in a large metro, which makes access/transportation easy if nothing else. If not Houston, then Tulane. Good academic school, and away games in Nawlins would be so awesome.

I don't think access is a big deal for Houston compared to Memphis. MEM isn't a hub for anybody other than FedEx but it is still a pretty big airport that isn't any tougher to get to via commercial than any other town in the conference save Dallas.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

Bird in a Blender posted:

Well playing once or twice in four years is better than none. Also, if a kid just goes to a Cincy game because it's close to home, at least you're getting some exposure. I'm not saying the Big 12 is all of a sudden going to dominate Ohio recruiting, but it's a start, and the Big 10 teams would essentially play just as many games in Ohio as the Big 12 teams would.

I was thinking more Florida than Ohio. At least West Virginia is also close in that case. There'd be nothing else close to Orlando. I don't follow recruiting much, but how many more kids from Florida or Georgia is Missouri getting since joining the SEC, or do they still pull more from the Midwest/Texas? I guess that would be a comparable situation to know if UCF would make a difference for the Big XII or not. I think I just need to resign myself to the fact that geographically logical conference footprints are a thing of the past.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
For what it is worth a local reporter confirmed that Cincy had been told that they made the cut as well.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Thoguh posted:

I don't think access is a big deal for Houston compared to Memphis. MEM isn't a hub for anybody other than FedEx but it is still a pretty big airport that isn't any tougher to get to via commercial than any other town in the conference save Dallas.

Fair point regarding travel, but of course UH brings a lot more to the table program-wise than Memphis. I keep hearing that Memphis is getting/will get some FedEx money, but billionaire benefactors don't necessarily buy you high-level, sustained success. Just ask Oklahoma State fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanvig
Sep 8, 2003

I'm with you: as long as Houston crushes OU I don't really care about the Big 12 implications.

• Locked thread