Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

it's a big deal for babies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the rude part was that his aegislash was male. give me a female dream ball honedge to distribute to the people

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
nobody plays ubers (the best format) on cartridge anyway so it's no big deal

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

All serious pokemon events should mandate a pedigree for the Pocket Monsters in question, just like Kennel Club :haw:

Rygar201 fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Aug 30, 2016

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Oh poo poo Pokemon pedigree should be a thing

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
conversely they should generate dogs

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Eh, it doesn't affect me either way, especially since I don't play competitive in any sense. It's just sort of interesting to see the song-and-dance that goes around it. The impression I get is that everyone takes shortcuts (at least when the season demands the use of Legendaries), but enough people (including show-runners? unclear) regard it as cheating that no one talks about it.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Also you should nickname your monsters in the fashion of race horses. Game Freak should add characters to accommodate this.

Kalos Krome, Unova Pharaoh, Sinnohtariat

Rygar201 fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Aug 30, 2016

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
My Giratina, Dialga, and Palkia all have Arceus as a single parent.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Generating pokemans still doesn't seem like cheating to me because you gain no real advantage over your opponent except time spent.

It's literally like using a megamule in Dark Souls. The people who do it are skipping ahead to the pvp portion of the game and bypassing hours of grinding and progression. Everyone will be using optimal builds with Titanite Slab weapons anyway, no reason to spend 20+ hours getting there when you've done it before.

Maybe if you generate an OU team and take it to your little brother's school and beat up kids with it it can be called cheating.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Rygar201 posted:

Also you should nickname your monsters in the fashion of race horses. Game Freak should add characters to accommodate this

gonna start naming my showdown pokemon off of whatever comes up when i hit 'random article' on wikipedia

Orange (2010 film) the scrafty, Henry Cornewall the nidoking and so on

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

HoneyBoy posted:

Generating pokemans still doesn't seem like cheating to me because you gain no real advantage over your opponent except time spent.

It's literally like using a megamule in Dark Souls. The people who do it are skipping ahead to the pvp portion of the game and bypassing hours of grinding and progression. Everyone will be using optimal builds with Titanite Slab weapons anyway, no reason to spend 20+ hours getting there when you've done it before.

Maybe if you generate an OU team and take it to your little brother's school and beat up kids with it it can be called cheating.

I have way more fun routing dark souls characters for whichever endgame goal and then pvping with whatever I end up getting than pvping with fully optimized builds but v:shobon:v.

I mean, I just don't think dark souls is a great example because the journey is actually fun with regards to dark souls. Getting a dex faith build through the parts of the game where the build is relatively weak up until sunlight blade and wotg are available is a pretty fun challenge for that future payoff.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Aug 30, 2016

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

HoneyBoy posted:

I don't have any horse in this race, but honestly considering how often teams end up being tweaked during the seasons; the ability to quickly generate a new team and continue the iteration process does seem that it would give some sort of advantage. I mean I would imagine teams are pretty much locked in a few days before an event, but any sudden last minute changes to the meta would apply more pressure to a legit breeder than a hacker.

Ehh.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

SpaceCadetBob posted:

I don't have any horse in this race, but honestly considering how often teams end up being tweaked during the seasons; the ability to quickly generate a new team and continue the iteration process does seem that it would give some sort of advantage. I mean I would imagine teams are pretty much locked in a few days before an event, but any sudden last minute changes to the meta would apply more pressure to a legit breeder than a hacker.

Ehh.

That's more to do with VGC being loving retarded though, but I see your point.

Zoness posted:

I have way more fun routing dark souls characters for whichever endgame goal and then pvping with whatever I end up getting than pvping with fully optimized builds but v:shobon:v.

I mean, I just don't think dark souls is a great example because the journey is actually fun with regards to dark souls. Getting a dex faith build through the parts of the game where the build is relatively weak up until sunlight blade and wotg are available is a pretty fun challenge for that future payoff.

This is more fun for me if I end up doing forest hunting or invading/gank spanking, but if you're into fight clubs at all you wanna min/max imo.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

HoneyBoy posted:

That's more to do with VGC being loving retarded though, but I see your point.

uhh how's that?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I thought the bell tower in ds2 was the best pvp I've had in a souls game honestly, because it made the pvp experience overall less homogeneous.

Plus it could give you titanite slabs.

So what I'm saying is, make random mons / rental mons an official vgc (or at least battle spot) format :getin:

Zoness fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Aug 30, 2016

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Brother Entropy posted:

uhh how's that?

It's brought up often enough, those team comps that are almost always Groudon/Xerneas/etc.

Who has competition viable cover legendaries usually? People who generate them, I mean yeah you get 3 max IVs normally but if it's a tweak like mentioned before idk if people are gonne be SRing every time they need to change something.

Basically box legendaries are trash and only children use them.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Zoness posted:

I thought the bell tower in ds2 was the best pvp I've had in a souls game honestly, because it made the pvp experience overall less homogeneous.

Plus it could give you titanite slabs.

So what I'm saying is, make random mons / rental mons an official vgc (or at least battle spot) format :getin:

Rentals are good and fun, same reason why randoms on Showdown are good and why Challenge Cup on PO was good.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Zoness posted:

Battle Factory World Championships 2017 :getin:

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

HoneyBoy posted:

It's brought up often enough, those team comps that are almost always Groudon/Xerneas/etc.

Who has competition viable cover legendaries usually? People who generate them, I mean yeah you get 3 max IVs normally but if it's a tweak like mentioned before idk if people are gonne be SRing every time they need to change something.

Basically box legendaries are trash and only children use them.

oh okay if you specifically meant vgc '16 then yeah that poo poo is dumb

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Maybe they should redesign the game \ VGC rules so that players don't feel like they need to gen or otherwise modify Pokemon with an external device to be competitive.

Serious question: how does the existence of IVs make the games better \ more fun? Maybe it makes them more "realistic" in that different Pokemon have different "genetics" and thus they are more unique? Oh yeah, and those stats are hidden, too. That sort of game design is only appealing if you're as autistic as the guy who invented Pokemon.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

I made a haxorus as cool as he can possibly be and now he just oozes coolness all over contests he's just so cool.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

GlitchThief posted:

Eh, it doesn't affect me either way, especially since I don't play competitive in any sense. It's just sort of interesting to see the song-and-dance that goes around it. The impression I get is that everyone takes shortcuts (at least when the season demands the use of Legendaries), but enough people (including show-runners? unclear) regard it as cheating that no one talks about it.

There's the actual hack check to ensure that impossible movesets and abilities don't get admitted, but as for IVs and stuff like that, they don't seem to care unless it explicitly gets pointed out.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Maybe they should redesign the game \ VGC rules so that players don't feel like they need to gen or otherwise modify Pokemon with an external device to be competitive.

Serious question: how does the existence of IVs make the games better \ more fun? Maybe it makes them more "realistic" in that different Pokemon have different "genetics" and thus they are more unique? Oh yeah, and those stats are hidden, too. That sort of game design is only appealing if you're as autistic as the guy who invented Pokemon.

Yeah, that was pretty much it. They were designed as a way to make each individual Pokemon unqiue. Evidentally, they must've realized how dumb that was given that they're introducing Hyper Training.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
IVs definitely would get checked since they influence a pokemon's stats.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Gammatron 64 posted:

It's almost like the game was designed for children and not super serious adults trying to play for money.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Dr. Fetus posted:

There's the actual hack check to ensure that impossible movesets and abilities don't get admitted, but as for IVs and stuff like that, they don't seem to care unless it explicitly gets pointed out.

Yeah, that was pretty much it. They were designed as a way to make each individual Pokemon unqiue. Evidentally, they must've realized how dumb that was given that they're introducing Hyper Training.

Honestly, they should just remove the whole IV system. There is already more than enough variety with over 700 species of Pokemon and a bunch of different moves and natures they can have.

If they got rid of IVs or made it so all Pokemon's IVs are automatically 31, cheating would practically vanish overnight. It's kinda like prohibition. People are going to drink alcohol whether it's legal or not. If you can't beat em, join em. That said, Nintendo is a Japanese company and they are always super stubborn. IVs made sense when the Internet wasn't a very big thing and nobody expected actual Pokemon competition. They will clutch onto that 20-year old game design for dear life.

Rygar201 posted:

It's almost like the game was designed for children and not super serious adults trying to play for money.

I know, right? Nintendo is really, really bad at making actual competitive games. There's another Nintendo game series out there that people like to pretend is a serious competitive game, but I dare not mention its name because it's huge a can of worms. You all know what I am referring to, though.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Zoness posted:

IVs definitely would get checked since they influence a pokemon's stats.

IVs and EVs, yeah. Though apparently someone got away with having a total of 512 EVs in VGC once? People made a big deal out of it despite it passing through the hack checker. There's also a bunch of junk bytes in a Pokemon's data that serve no purpose other than to tick off the hack checker if the Pokemon was hacked. But people have already figured out how to deal with those to fool them.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Aug 30, 2016

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
what would determine my hidden powers though?

I like hidden power :smith:, specifically hidden power ice

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Gammatron 64 posted:

I know, right? Nintendo is really, really bad at making actual competitive games. There's another Nintendo game series out there that people like to pretend is a serious competitive game, but I dare not mention its name because it's huge a can of worms. You all know what I am referring to, though.

i tried competitive mario party, it was a nightmare

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

expecting people to go through a tedious hours-long grind process to be competitive is dumb, and the thing that makes MMOs completely unappealing to people who aren't failed human beings. the only thing worse is pay-to-win schemes

they really should stop being cagey about stats and just give you the numbers and let you allocate them however you want like the pokemon sims do. maybe as a reward for beating the game. that would make things a lot more kid-friendly and maybe break the tournament scene open so it's not overrun totally by grown-rear end spergatron goonlords

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Gammatron 64 posted:

Honestly, they should just remove the whole IV system. There is already more than enough variety with over 700 species of Pokemon and a bunch of different moves and natures they can have.

If they got rid of IVs or made it so all Pokemon's IVs are automatically 31, cheating would practically vanish overnight. It's kinda like prohibition. People are going to drink alcohol whether it's legal or not. If you can't beat em, join em. That said, Nintendo is a Japanese company and they are always super stubborn. IVs made sense when the Internet wasn't a very big thing and nobody expected actual Pokemon competition. They will clutch onto that 20-year old game design for dear life.

Yeah gently caress F-Zero.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Feranon posted:

expecting people to go through a tedious hours-long grind process to be competitive is dumb, and the thing that makes MMOs completely unappealing to people who aren't failed human beings. the only thing worse is pay-to-win schemes

they really should stop being cagey about stats and just give you the numbers and let you allocate them however you want like the pokemon sims do. maybe as a reward for beating the game. that would make things a lot more kid-friendly and maybe break the tournament scene open so it's not overrun totally by grown-rear end spergatron goonlords

the only big tournament in pokemon has brackets divided by age groups

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

also nobody in that tournament actually breeds pokemon because why would you

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

cheaters should be publicly executed

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I feel like IVs should be removed and also competitive play should be removed.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Zore posted:

I feel like IVs should be removed and also competitive play should be removed.

Only if the main game difficulty is either upped or they add a harder difficulty.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Also add back in all the cool old features they took out; running into sleeping pokemon at night, headbutt trees, seasons, following pokemon etc.

in exchange remove all the boring features carried over generation to generation; hold items, running shoes, infinite use TMs, double battles

For real though, I want double battles to be a bigger thing or to be removed. Make them a main mode of battle in the games if they're going to base all official competitive play around them at the very least, like 4/8 gym leaders do doubles and at least one of the Elite 4.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
all of those are good features

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

This conversation has taken a turn, hah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I like that it takes a bit of time to add a pokemon to a competitive team because it makes you more attached to them. The time time investment it currently takes is way too much though