Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Groundskeeper Silly posted:

Thank you anyway.

drat, chill out.

You can probably take a plea deal for probation or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

NancyPants posted:

The most shocking thing to me is that in at least two places in America, one of them Texas, you have to actually be doing something lewd beyond being nude for indecent exposure to stick. That is far more reasonable than I would ever expect from any law involving nudity.

In Seattle, simple public nudity is straight legal. Hell, we have a naked parade every summer.

_areaman
Oct 28, 2009

I posted a while ago about selling a bunch of anonymous eCommerce goods, and everyone told me I was an idiot. The jury is still out on whether I'm an idiot, but after some back and forth with the Electronic Frontier Foundation, I have legal counsel to sign off on my decisions. So don't let SA color everything you do, and thanks for the input and time taken to respond.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

_areaman posted:

I posted a while ago about selling a bunch of anonymous eCommerce goods, and everyone told me I was an idiot. The jury is still out on whether I'm an idiot, but after some back and forth with the Electronic Frontier Foundation, I have legal counsel to sign off on my decisions. So don't let SA color everything you do, and thanks for the input and time taken to respond.

:cripes:

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Honestly, his post history makes him seem like a colossal rear end in a top hat, so I'm really hoping he makes a thread about his new business that I can follow all the way to either the cold feet moment, or to the inevitable plea bargain.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Aug 30, 2016

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Enjoy your money laundering scheme!

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

_areaman posted:

Did you pay the EFF lawyer money or have them otherwise directly indicate they were acting as your lawyer? What do you think "legal counsel to sign off on my decisions" means?

bkerlee
Aug 3, 2006

Slimy and gross.
You do you, crazy guy.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

_areaman posted:

Keep the thread updated on your business so you can really stick it to these know-nothing idiots.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Korgan posted:

Keep the thread updated on your business so you can really stick it to these know-nothing idiots.

Please do.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

_areaman posted:

As a matter of fact, his lawyer is also a Parse Syntax Grammer Guru, and Plenipotentiary JUDGE!

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

_areaman posted:

And then all of the Supreme Court stood up and clapped?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

And that poster's name was Albert Einstein

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Pure Hypothetical for any of the real estate attorneys here.

If I were to have a time machine, how far could i go back and still have a valid claim today for a legally purchased/recorded property purchase?
Say if i were to go back after a town has been chartered and purchase a few acres in New England and then left them alone to come back to now and re-claim.
Is there a way to prevent it from being claimed/squatted say by homesteaders?
I'm pretty confident that i'd have a hard time fighting any eminent domain claims, so obviously I'd want to buy something at least mildly rural. (so no buying the land of central park from the Native Americans)

Or would the internvening 200 years of inactivity/non use kind of make this a non-starter.
Perhaps a buy it, donate/long (free) lease it in trust to the state with lifetime easement/use clauses written in?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
You could go back to when the Courthouse in any County started keeping records, and record your deed there.

Problems:
1) As soon as taxes start piling up and not getting paid, the county will foreclose and take it.
2) If there is ever a condemnation/easement or replat, people might notice you're not around anymore and deem the property abandoned.
3) People might notice you're not around anymore anyways and deem the property abandoned.
4) "Squatters" are more of a news story than a real thing; the actual legal concept is "Adverse Posession" and it generally runs back about 25 years.
5) A lease, trust, or property transfer or any other bequest or attempt to finagle title back to yourself won't really work more than 80-100 years out because of whats called "the rule against perpetuities."

Edit: 25-50 years back, so long as you have a trust set up to pay the taxes, is probably how far back you would want to go.

blarzgh fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Aug 30, 2016

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
Also property law 101, the courts generally want property issues resolved so even if you showed up with a deed for 10 acres in downtown Manhattan today you'd probably have a hard time getting it enforced if you've done nothing in the past 200 years.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I like how you specified that your time travelling deed question is a hypothetical.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

HookShot posted:

I like how you specified that your time travelling deed question is a hypothetical.

Sure, all the OTHER times someone claims a situation is hypothetical in this thread, people assume it's not, but THIS time, we all happily accept it as such?

That's some bullshit, man.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Did someone watch the pilot episode of Gargoyles or something?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The Mandingo posted:

Did someone watch the pilot episode of Gargoyles or something?

Demona was my jam as a teenage boy.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I have a little back and forth with a non-profit who told me some general information. Anything I do I am now immune from prosecution for because my lawyers signed off on it.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I have a little back and forth with a non-profit who told me some general information. Anything I do I am now immune from prosecution for because my lawyers signed off on it.

Yeah that was my thought. Why would EFF assist a for profit enterprise? Even if the for profit was furthering EFF's goals (which I can only assume are full communism now), they'd be doing their donors a disservice by assisting this idiot seeking to sell drugs online.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
So, a Federal Judge ruled that holding a defendant in jail because they cannot post bail is unconstitutional. A guy in Georgia was arrested and couldn't pay his bail. He sued because he couldn't take meds and won. Now, from what I gather, this is only for misdemeanor charges, and they are gonna have to cough up if they skip town. Courts must consider a person's indigence and look for other ways of guaranteeing they will appear. I can certainly see why this would be a boon for anyone who doesn't have a couple hundred to thousand dollars sitting around and needs to be working, but is there anything more to this I can't see because I've never taken a law course?

sleepy.eyes fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Aug 30, 2016

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

sleepy.eyes posted:

So, the Justice Department has stated that holding a defendant in jail because they cannot post bail is unconstitutional. Now, form what I gather, this is only for misdemeanor charges, and they are gonna have to cough up if they skip town. Courts must consider a person's indigence and look for other ways of guaranteeing they will appear. I can certainly see why this would be a boon for anyone who doesn't have a couple hundred to thousand dollars sitting around and needs to be working, but is there anything more to this I can't see because I've never taken a law course?

Well for starters, the Justice Department doesn't really get to decide such things for the States.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
If I have a time machine, can I delete all my records and wipe my server after every use?

bkerlee
Aug 3, 2006

Slimy and gross.

EwokEntourage posted:

If I have a time machine, can I delete all my records and wipe my server after every use?

Does the time machine have a gold fringe?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
If I have a time machine can I go back and not apply to law school

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Mucilaginous posted:

Does the time machine have a gold fringe?

I've been back and forth with the gold fringe foundation and the gff has signed off on it

The bond thing got discussed in the scotus thread I think

EwokEntourage fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Aug 30, 2016

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Santilli, a sovcit "journalist" and one of the supporters of the occupiers of the Malheur reservation, is coming up for trial. His attorney just filed this, which focuses on the application and argued effects of a rule/doctrine/bullshit latin called Strictissimi Juris. Help me out here- how reasonable is this filing? IANAL, but it seems to go from implausible to nuts pretty fast.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Discendo Vox posted:

Santilli, a sovcit "journalist" and one of the supporters of the occupiers of the Malheur reservation, is coming up for trial. His attorney just filed this, which focuses on the application and argued effects of a rule/doctrine/bullshit latin called Strictissimi Juris. Help me out here- how reasonable is this filing? IANAL, but it seems to go from implausible to nuts pretty fast.

Wish I could read the whole thing.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Discendo Vox posted:

As I said in the other thread, he's trying to claim protection under something that was designed to shield members of disliked political parties not for armed rebellion.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Discendo Vox posted:

You were almost a lawyer though.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

You were almost a lawyer though.

Crim wasn't a focus, though- I was looking at admin and FDA stuff.

ann disaster
Jan 27, 2007
Garbage and dogs are not part of a balanced diet.
Labor law!

Are employers who terminate employees in at-will states (in this case, Pennsylvania) required to give a reason for termination?

I realize that at-will means a person can be terminated for any reason, but what I am basically asking is whether an employer is allowed to tell an employee, "We are firing you, but we are not going to tell you why."

Assume that the employee is not a member of a union or anything else that would compel the employer to follow due process.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Language is usually "any or no reason".

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

ann disaster posted:

Labor law!

Are employers who terminate employees in at-will states (in this case, Pennsylvania) required to give a reason for termination?

I realize that at-will means a person can be terminated for any reason, but what I am basically asking is whether an employer is allowed to tell an employee, "We are firing you, but we are not going to tell you why."

Assume that the employee is not a member of a union or anything else that would compel the employer to follow due process.

IANAL. No, they are (generally) not required to tell you why they are terminating you. If you are not being fired for cause, you can be fired for literally any reason, and telling you why is just going to result in potential liability so it is better for them not to (as it's still illegal to fire someone as a result of discrimination, and some other stuff).

If you were fired for cause, it would come out in the unemployment proceedings.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

ann disaster posted:

Labor law!

:911: You know the answer in your heart and the other posts.

ann disaster
Jan 27, 2007
Garbage and dogs are not part of a balanced diet.

Zauper posted:

IANAL. No, they are (generally) not required to tell you why they are terminating you. If you are not being fired for cause, you can be fired for literally any reason, and telling you why is just going to result in potential liability so it is better for them not to (as it's still illegal to fire someone as a result of discrimination, and some other stuff).

If you were fired for cause, it would come out in the unemployment proceedings.

Okay. So say a person in this situation filed for unemployment. During the determination process, the employer informs the unemployment office that the employee was fired for cause (and gives a reason) but does not provide evidence and the employee is granted unemployment benefits.

Does this matter or change the answer?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

ann disaster posted:

Okay. So say a person in this situation filed for unemployment. During the determination process, the employer informs the unemployment office that the employee was fired for cause (and gives a reason) but does not provide evidence and the employee is granted unemployment benefits.

Does this matter or change the answer?

No, no.

Neither an employee's right to quit at will nor an employer's right to fire at will require a reason.

The legally and philosophically separate process regarding a state's rules to administer the state's social safety net as it relates to employment compensation may, and often does, require a reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Is there any repercussion for an employee who quits a job even though they signed a contract? In this hypothetical the person didn't actually start working for them yet.