Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
That's a good pbass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Scarf posted:

Pbass post. Post about Pbasses. Post your Pbass.

Sup 70s Fender knock-off P-bass buddy?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Sockington posted:

Sup 70s Fender knock-off P-bass buddy?

:hfive:

I love non-pickguarded pbasses

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Scarf posted:

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSJJy8VOmT0

Scarf posted:

OK. Mine has weird frets though:

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

The P in my P-bass stands for pretty
:j:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Constipated posted:

Yessss I have been lusting for one of these for quite awhile now. Very solid build, extremely playable.

Get a Tribute, if you don't care for fancy extras. Just as good (if you really care, you can always upgrade the knobs). But if you're really keen I think they're still taking batches of SB-2's with an added tone knob but that was a while ago on the talkbass forums. I'm fine with the volume controls as they are, the pickups are very very hot and give good tone variation at between 3/4 and 1/2 turns. Everything else you can do with your fingers. I prefer to tame mine with pressurewounds, they can really honk.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It

Here's my non-Fender P-bass. First generation Yamaha Attitude bass. Large chunk of aluminum inside the bass and the pickups are super hot.

And my opinion is that if you want a Fender, get a G&L. They're actually made on Fender Ave! Plus the Tributes have American pickups and preamps.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Scarf posted:

The P bass only has one sound but it's the sound. It's versatile in the sense that it just works for most things.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
Goddamn it I just paid off the credit card bill for bass number three, it's too early for GAS to kick in...

...maybe that compressor can wait until after I add a P bass to the collection

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
Oh yeah, Precision. I have my Made in USA Fender Precision Special, and my Imported From the Orient Squier Fretless Precision Bass.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Nordstrand pickups, Hipshot bridge, DR flats. Fuckin' rips.

Christabel
Apr 18, 2003

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.

Thumposaurus posted:

The P in my P-bass stands for pretty
:j:

I loooooove this!

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I've recently gotten back into the rumble. I've been working on my modes and studying jazz standards. Once I get "If I Were A Bell" down, I'll be on to the next one.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Minto Took posted:

I've recently gotten back into the rumble. I've been working on my modes and studying jazz standards. Once I get "If I Were A Bell" down, I'll be on to the next one.

Theory, transcriptions and such are all great, but leave time to "sing in the shower" as well. I don't practice as much as I would like, partially because it can be hard to get motivation to do spider exercises and work on arpeggiating jazz standards in convoluted patterns, but it is worth the time to dick around regularly on your instrument in addition to any structured exercises.

Soft-spoken bass nerd Victor Wooten says it well, although it takes him 20 minutes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zvjW9arAZ0

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Guitar player here. I'm looking to buy a bass primarily for recording some bass tracks to accompany my guitar. I plan on using it exclusively DI into a DAW, maybe run through an amp sim (I have GuitarRig, which has a bass amp sim). I'll be primarily playing with a pick or finger picking. Looking for an old school funk/soul sound. I'm thinking the tapered neck of the Jazz Bass would be easier for my tiny ravioli guitar player hands to handle.

Should I just get a Squire Vintage Modified Jazz Bass? Any notable differences between the vanilla VM, the 70S and the '77? Anything used I should look into in the same price range as a new Squire J Bass ($350 max)?

Frog 1.0
Jun 2, 2001

Now with 33% less Engrish
My Squier J Bass neck is actually narrower than my Gibson guitar at the first fret and about the same size on the 12th fret. I really didnt like my JBass for that reason. I was gonna upgrade to an ESP or a Ibanez but at the music shop the saleman made me try a PRS and the width of the fretboard is what sold me.

I really enjoy the PRS fretboard it feel more natural to me than my old JBass. I have very long fingers so that's probably why.

Maybe try a few in a music shop to get a feel of it? That's what I do with pedals before buying them off on amazon or Ebay or kijiji.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Splinter posted:

Guitar player here. I'm looking to buy a bass primarily for recording some bass tracks to accompany my guitar. I plan on using it exclusively DI into a DAW, maybe run through an amp sim (I have GuitarRig, which has a bass amp sim). I'll be primarily playing with a pick or finger picking. Looking for an old school funk/soul sound. I'm thinking the tapered neck of the Jazz Bass would be easier for my tiny ravioli guitar player hands to handle.

Should I just get a Squire Vintage Modified Jazz Bass? Any notable differences between the vanilla VM, the 70S and the '77? Anything used I should look into in the same price range as a new Squire J Bass ($350 max)?

I haven't played the 70s or 77 Jazz Basses, but I do know that the VM series is really good for the price. Jazz basses, by design, have a skinnier neck up at the nut. Good for short fingers. Precision basses have a wider nut. Different 4-string instruments will either be Jazz width or Precision width.

You can't go wrong with a P-bass. Squier seems to have a wide selection of Precision Bass Specials, which add a J-pickup at the bridge. They have a Jazz Bass neck and a Precision Bass body and pickup. As has been noted, Precision basses aren't all that versatile--they only have one tone--but it is a great tone that works great with picking, finger picking, and old school funk/soul. And rock. And... well, pretty much everything else.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

tarlibone posted:

Yeah, that one has a lot of bells and whistles and it generally gets really good reviews. It's such a nice compressor that MXR released the same exact circuit as a guitar compressor because guitarists didn't want to dirty their precious little pedal boards with a box that had the word "bass" .

Just had a go with the band and it was seriously amazing to have as a three piece band. When the guitarist left the groove of the drum and bass for a solo, it didn't feel as if so much wind had been let out of our sails. Took some fine tuning throughout the night, but was definitely one of those "always on" pedals for myself. Decent purchase :homebrew:

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Splinter posted:

Get the Squier Vintage Modified Precision Bass PJ. The PJ pickup config is absolutely the most versatile for recording if you're only going to have one bass.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Also consider the VM Jaguar. PJ setup, J neck, and short scale available may make it easier to transition from guitar.

Haven't played a short scale, but common comment is the pickup's are lackluster.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Short scale basses have a much different tone than regular scale. They're cool, but I wouldn't get one unless you really couldn't play a 34" scale instrument or unless you already have one and just want the tubby short-scale tone.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Thanks for the responses. At this point I just need to hit the store and play a few to see what feels better. The PJ pickup configuration looks ideal. I did take a look at the short scale Jaguars, but had a feeling what DEUCE mentioned re tone was the case. I've borrowed normal scale basses for recording before and am not worried about them being unwieldy.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Chris Kosnik played a really nice P Bass when I saw The Atomic Bitchwax on Thursday. Seems to be Lake Placid Blue with a tort guard, but the neck looks like a 70s blocked and bound Jazz.

This is from a different show, but it's the best shot of him playing it I could find:

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

I picked up my bass again for the first time in months! It's such a weird little thing (five string short scale) but I love it a lot.

Christabel
Apr 18, 2003

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
Can anyone identify this bass?

http://imgur.com/a/AJhmc

It sounded really, really nice.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
that's a sterling music man i think?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Dyna Soar posted:

that's a sterling music man i think?

A two pickup version of this bass judging by the one pickup being visible past his hand.

Christabel
Apr 18, 2003

That looks like it could be it! Thanks - gonna start saving now.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Christabel posted:

That looks like it could be it! Thanks - gonna start saving now.

My Sterling was the first bass I ever bought new. Other than needing some fretwork it has been my favorite bass. I got the H-J version and it is very versatile. Kept me from buying another 4-string/fretted bass for 10 years.

Do any of you guys have a Sire bass? I played one last week and was pretty impressed. I wouldn't trade out my MM for it, but am toying with getting an alder/rosewood one. But my 10-minute first impressions are usually a little rosey.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
here's my dream bass:

no idea how it sounds like, never seen or heard one. i just really like the way it looks. if i wasn't so much in love with P basses i'd get one straight away

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Dyna Soar posted:

here's my dream bass:

no idea how it sounds like, never seen or heard one. i just really like the way it looks. if i wasn't so much in love with P basses i'd get one straight away

Simon Gallup of The Cure played one for a bit in their early days. This video has some parts where its tone is pretty clear, especially starting around 2:36

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBQpSzKeXyY

No idea if he recorded with it as its seems he switched to a Precision soon afterwards.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I'm building a jazz bass kit that I've converted to fretless. Finished the fingerboard and got the first colour on the body today, so I thought I'd post pics.

Body needs more sanding and a few more coats of stain before the finish goes on. Neck is thus far completely untouched, but the fingerboard is finished. This is the second kit I'm building, and I still haven't finished the first (it's a tele, and it's waiting for the finish to cure another week or two before I polish and assemble).

Neck will most likely be body colour, but acheived slightly differently. It'll have a black pickguard (or no pickguard, depending), chrome hardware, and I'm gonna shift the flatwounds from my p-bass to this one.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Dyna Soar posted:

here's my dream bass:

I forgot what these are called, but I played one unplugged for a couple minutes at a shop. Really nice feel. The shape is not for me, but I'm a fan of Guilds so I had to pick it up. Felt as well made as my JS-II.

A Good Username
Oct 10, 2007

AlphaDog posted:

I'm building a jazz bass kit that I've converted to fretless. Finished the fingerboard and got the first colour on the body today, so I thought I'd post pics.

I'm pretty sure you mentioned one of the kits you bought was from Pitbull guitars, right?
What's the build quality like? They've got an SG style bass I'd like to try but I'm a little ambivalent about the price.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

A Good Username posted:

I'm pretty sure you mentioned one of the kits you bought was from Pitbull guitars, right?
What's the build quality like? They've got an SG style bass I'd like to try but I'm a little ambivalent about the price.

I'm probably the wrong person to ask, since when I started ~3 months ago I knew nearly nothing about woodwork etc.

Both kits feel solid. Both necks fit snugly into the pockets and during test assembly there weren't any major issues with tuning or intonation. Both bodies and both necks had no flaws that I couldn't fix with my minimal skills and tools. There were some glue spots on the telecaster body that I didn't find before staining, and that caused some issues but would have been fine if I'd found them first or if I was spraying a solid colour. Like, that's only two kits, and I'm so far from an expert it's not funny, but I've got no complaints. I'm not going to say it's been an easy process, but it has been hard in different ways from what I was expecting, and never because there was something wrong with the kit. They're not on the level of "paint it then bolt the neck to the body, you're done", but I'd be surprised if you had to do any major alterations or repairs (barring those you want to do - I mean, I could have ordered a fretless bass, but I wanted to have a go at pulling the frets, filling the slots, and working the finish up from nothing to what it is now).

Have a look on their forums, particularly the "my build diary" section, and you'll see that most kits have no major flaws or problems that can't be solved by an amateur. Some kits do ship with problems but I have yet to see a Pitbull person say anything other than "you can fix it by X or Y or Z or if you're just not happy with it, please return it for a refund or replacement". Small flaws like "the binding's lifted a little in one corner", they're gonna tell you "Yeah, because it's a kit. Glue it back on like this or like that", but if you go "this body's cracked", they'll refund/replace without an issue.

I'd guess from your av that you're in Australia, so shipping on anything over ($30 I think) is free, which when you think about the size/weight of a boxed kit goes some way towards explaining the prices.

Edit: For reference when I said "it's hard in different ways than I thought" this is how the first (and next 3 or 4) coats of CA glue on the fretboard looked when they dried. That's a super rough surface, hard and bumpy enough to remove skin if you zipped your hand across it. I'd sand it back to smoothish, there'd be heaps of clouding or bubbles or dimples or bits where it didn't take or I'd sand through to the wood, or any number of issues, and I'd sand it back some more, re-apply, and damnit, it's happened again. Then I slowly got the hang of the application process, then it took maybe 6 more coat/sand cycles to fill holes and stop sanding through the edges. Video tutorials made it look easy. It's taken over two weeks of working a little bit nearly every day.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Sep 8, 2016

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Dyna Soar posted:

here's my dream bass:

i've played the two-pickup version (guild B-302), it's dope. really cool sound and very fun to play. they still have it at the shop down the street from me and every now and again I'm sorely tempted to buy it, but it's $800 and I don't really have any need or want to replace my Geddy Lee Jazz Bass.

I'd kill for the the guitar version of it though, someone was selling one on Craigslist a while back for $500 and I still regret not jumping on it quick enough.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Sep 8, 2016

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

DrChu posted:

Simon Gallup of The Cure played one for a bit in their early days. This video has some parts where its tone is pretty clear, especially starting around 2:36

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBQpSzKeXyY

No idea if he recorded with it as its seems he switched to a Precision soon afterwards.

Video rocks hard, that's an amazing bass solo or whatever.

That Guy From Pearldiver
Apr 18, 2001

President and Sole Member of the Andre Braugher Appreciation Society
Decided to set aside a part of my tax return for a PBass as I've never had one.

Narrowed my choices down to to the Fender Standard or the Squier 70s Classic Vibe.

i don't play live and this would be a home/studio bass.

Reviews for both tend to be in Good/Excellent range. Was curious what you good folks thought.

Thank you kindly in advance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Play them both in a music shop, back to back. Go home with the one that makes your insides go more fuzzy.

They're both great choices, but with any instrument you should always play it a bit before you plunk down the cash.

E: the color options on the Standard are pretty great obviously, but they are both good value for the price, and perfectly usable instruments. A used Standard or new VM/CV P bass is on my to-buy list, right after a compressor (or upright strings, or other expensive hobbies :homebrew:)

The Science Goy fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Sep 9, 2016