Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Management posted:

repatriating the money would not have made a difference. apple would still be on he hook for it because the EU taxes come first, but they could get the American taxes they paid on it refunded

would they only have to pay the difference between the EU and US tax rates? ie probably nothing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

Smythe can we probe cremnob from today through next century

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Pinterest Mom posted:

not failure re: lightning, failure re: MacBook as replacement for MacBook Air

agreed its really sad steve would get rid of half the products on sale today and also deliver the 2018 glass iphone this year

poty
Jun 21, 2008

The Management posted:

meanwhile, European bureaucrats decided that Apple owes Ireland $14.6 billion in back taxes, even though Ireland agrees that it doesn't. this is part of the new European initiative to tax American companies that are doing too well. Tim Cook is going to start a sovereignty battle in the EU over tax policy.

see how apple stock barely moved since everybody knows this is a huge joke

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
my favorite ireland tax dodge is starbucks. the starbucks locations in the eu are all owned by a shell company that leases the starbucks "brand" from starbucks ireland for a fee. that way starbucks ireland can charge them a fee that is conveniently equal to all their profits, and they report no taxable profit in other eu contries. all the taxable profit is reported in ireland where it is the lowest of the eu. profits outside of ireland magically become costs.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
ireland sounds pretty rad actually

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Ireland managed to work the rules in its favor. any smart country would.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

C.H.O.M.E posted:

my favorite ireland tax dodge is starbucks. the starbucks locations in the eu are all owned by a shell company that leases the starbucks "brand" from starbucks ireland for a fee. that way starbucks ireland can charge them a fee that is conveniently equal to all their profits, and they report no taxable profit in other eu contries. all the taxable profit is reported in ireland where it is the lowest of the eu. profits outside of ireland magically become costs.

a poor imitation of ikea, who does the exact same thing, but the branding company is a "charity" that pays little to no tax in one of the highest-taxed nations in the world

poty
Jun 21, 2008

we need a strong leader who is not afraid to kick the bad products out and knows how to make apple great again

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

poty posted:

we need a strong leader who is not afraid to kick the bad products out and knows how to make apple great again

craig.jpg

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

zen death robot posted:

corporations should pay taxes apple isn't special

we need 60%+ corporate income tax rate.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

99% marginal on every dollar of profit over a million

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
note that no business would ever really pay that rate. that high of a rate would force companies to spend money in deductible ways such as on their employees and on r&d.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

Sagebrush posted:

99% marginal on every dollar of profit over a million
please stop flashing the shaggar-signal

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

note that no business would ever really pay that rate. that high of a rate would force companies to spend money in deductible ways such as on their employees and on r&d.

daycare and private jets for execs

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

[a thing] would force companies to spend money ... on their employees

rofl good luck with that

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CEO, CTO, COO are employees

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Pinterest Mom posted:

:rip: new MacBooks Pro this year

lmao

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
also the EC is a lovely protection racket and apple shouldn't pay anything more than previously agreed between them and Ireland

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
please don't defend tax cheats tia

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

taxes should be collected based on where the revenue is generated

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
i hope tim cook spends the 14 billion to hire the murder squad from michael clayon to kill every member of the eu parliament and when scott pelley interviews him for the shocking 60 minutes story he just nods and says "actually scott, what i heard is they all decided to commit suicide for some reason, but in a very stylish and elegant way, and if anybody comes to arrest me they'll probably also commit suicide. oh, and by the way, have you seen the all new apple watch 2?"

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

exploding mummy posted:

ireland is the tax cheat in this story

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Perplx posted:

ireland is the tax cheat in this story

ireland is complicit in apple's tax cheating

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

ArmZ posted:

ireland is complicit in apple's tax cheating

Fuckin pikeys

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

zen death robot posted:

:stare:

it's maggotmaster all over again

basically, i support anything that will get hollywood to make another michael clayton, clooney's best dramatic roll and second only to o' brother

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

o'brother was a good film

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

o'brother was a good film

i think i like lebowski and no country better, but o' brother is a nearly perfect film and i don't understand why it isn't mandatory study material for every screenwriter and director

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

angry_keebler posted:

i think i like lebowski and no country better, but o' brother is a nearly perfect film and i don't understand why it isn't mandatory study material for every screenwriter and director

if theres a class on how to perfectly put a movie to music it would just be watching o brother over and over and over

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

barton fink and a serious man are my favourite coen brothers movies because bleakness ftw i guess

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

the crazy thing is that Apple Ireland says the shell company is a US company because it is controlled from here but the US Apple insists it is an Irish company.

it just exists in the magical world of fairies and leprechauns I guess

poty
Jun 21, 2008

exploding mummy posted:

please stop being ignorant. money invested in the rights to u2 music is tax deductible in ireland

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
barton fink ftw

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

as an expert in international taxation and european law, i

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

poty posted:

please stop being ignorant. money invested in the rights to u2 music is tax deductible in ireland

losses involving natural disasters usually are.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I hope apple has to pay their taxes.

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

angry_keebler posted:

i hope tim cook spends the 14 billion to hire the murder squad from michael clayon to kill every member of the eu parliament and when scott pelley interviews him for the shocking 60 minutes story he just nods and says "actually scott, what i heard is they all decided to commit suicide for some reason, but in a very stylish and elegant way, and if anybody comes to arrest me they'll probably also commit suicide. oh, and by the way, have you seen the all new apple watch 2?"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

angry_keebler posted:

basically, i support anything that will get hollywood to make another michael clayton, clooney's best dramatic roll and second only to o' brother

michael clayton is a fan-loving-tastic movie and i'm surprised that more people haven't seen it or even heard of it

aside: if you wanna talk about sadbrains, tom wilkinson does the best film treatment of bipolar disorder i've ever seen. the scene where he's running down the street having bought like twenty loaves of bread and is telling clooney "this bread, it's the best bread, it's just amazing, here, you've got to have some" is spooky accurate mania

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 30, 2016

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

can't believe people would defend a corporation who doesn't pay their taxes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
your tax bracket is a piece of poo poo

• Locked thread