Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

He's a really strange guy. There's been some good pieces on him and you come away thinking he's either OCD or somewhere on the spectrum. My guess is that while he's a great color guy, his weird personality has held him back from doing bigger things.

There was also that strange 2004 season where the Cubs underperformed and a bunch of crybabies on the team had a tantrum that he wasn't praising them enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Niwrad posted:

He's a really strange guy. There's been some good pieces on him and you come away thinking he's either OCD or somewhere on the spectrum. My guess is that while he's a great color guy, his weird personality has held him back from doing bigger things.

There was also that strange 2004 season where the Cubs underperformed and a bunch of crybabies on the team had a tantrum that he wasn't praising them enough.

notable superstar Kent Mercker

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Does anyone else get douche chills or get creeped out watching ESPN try to cover college recruiting?

I mean I get it. They're trying to capture LeBron James circa 2002-2003, but man...it's just really creepy to see grown men circle around teenagers about their life choices. Plus the kids come across as weird entitled douche bags.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

R.D. Mangles posted:

notable superstar Kent Mercker

"Who the gently caress is Kent Mercker?" was an amazing retort by Stone.

I think it was Moises Alou who led the effort to have Caray and Stone banned from the team charter plane, too.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

FuzzySkinner posted:

Does anyone else get douche chills or get creeped out watching ESPN try to cover college recruiting?

I mean I get it. They're trying to capture LeBron James circa 2002-2003, but man...it's just really creepy to see grown men circle around teenagers about their life choices. Plus the kids come across as weird entitled douche bags.
It's really strange, especially with ESPNU showing a lot more high school sports than it used to. At the same, at least they don't have Tim McCormick literally name-checking LeBron James every single time he opens his mouth like he did 5-10 years ago.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

FuzzySkinner posted:

They kids have gotten their dicks sucked since they were sophomores. Entitled douchery is the natural result.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Crazy Ted posted:

It's really strange, especially with ESPNU showing a lot more high school sports than it used to. At the same, at least they don't have Tim McCormick literally name-checking LeBron James every single time he opens his mouth like he did 5-10 years ago.

It's weird because I don't mind seeing the local hs sports highlights being shown on tv, or when the local low wattage UHF station shows the games of the teams around me . The kids that are featured are about 90 percent not likely to play college ball, and only about 5 percent are likely to play D-I.

But there's something just douchey about the schools that are featured on ESPN. They're generally like the "OAK HILL ACADEMY"'s private, boarding schools of the world that generally get featured and it just seems so..fake.

Don't get me wrong. Like I understand following recruiting to a certain extent. Like if you're someone who loves to pick up a Lindy's or Anthlon to see how your school did? By all means, go ahead. But ESPN is just bordering on creepy with this crap.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

FuzzySkinner posted:

It's weird because I don't mind seeing the local hs sports highlights being shown on tv, or when the local low wattage UHF station shows the games of the teams around me . The kids that are featured are about 90 percent not likely to play college ball, and only about 5 percent are likely to play D-I.

But there's something just douchey about the schools that are featured on ESPN. They're generally like the "OAK HILL ACADEMY"'s private, boarding schools of the world that generally get featured and it just seems so..fake.

Don't get me wrong. Like I understand following recruiting to a certain extent. Like if you're someone who loves to pick up a Lindy's or Anthlon to see how your school did? By all means, go ahead. But ESPN is just bordering on creepy with this crap.
Don't forget the De La Salle (California) football team that's so far up its own rear end that it literally had a movie made about how awesome its Christian footballing prowess was.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I find the whole recruiting coverage to be creepy. Especially when you come across a school specific forum and it's like 50 year old men frantically looking for clues on some 17 year olds Instagram account. And when they lose someone they throw a tantrum cursing the kid for life because he wanted to play football at another college.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Didn't one of the sports agencies found a high school in Florida for the sole purpose of being an athletic factory?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Niwrad posted:

I find the whole recruiting coverage to be creepy. Especially when you come across a school specific forum and it's like 50 year old men frantically looking for clues on some 17 year olds Instagram account. And when they lose someone they throw a tantrum cursing the kid for life because he wanted to play football at another college.

Yeah, I get why it's an obsession for coaches, and it's already pretty creepy from them. It's 10 times worse coming from TV networks and websites, and fans/boosters should be put on a loving sex offender registry for as much as they stalk those kids.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

ElwoodCuse posted:

Didn't one of the sports agencies found a high school in Florida for the sole purpose of being an athletic factory?

IMG, yeah.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

ElwoodCuse posted:

I think they took their inspiration from Bolletieri's tennis academy (who they bought), and he might have been inspired by soccer academies in europe but I don't know i'm a moron and im just guessing.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Colin Cowherd and Shannon "Marblemouth" Sharpe in charge of HOT TAKES?
ONLY ON FS1!

The four-letter must be quaking in their boots.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Robnoxious posted:

Colin Cowherd and Shannon "Marblemouth" Sharpe in charge of HOT TAKES?
ONLY ON FS1!

The four-letter must be quaking in their boots.

I just remember CBS having Shannon Sharpe, Boomer Easion, and Bill Cowher having a three way Ravens-Bengals-Steelers circle jerk for the CBS pre game. That was pure hell if you were a fan of the lone AFC North team that wasn't featured during that broadcast.

Crazy Ted posted:

Don't forget the De La Salle (California) football team that's so far up its own rear end that it literally had a movie made about how awesome its Christian footballing prowess was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4SLEjnKQ6g

"STREAK, STREAK, STREAK!". The review Cinema Snob does of this is pro-click.

TL';DR: You know the "rear end in a top hat" "machine" team the underdog beats in sports movies? They're THAT team.

Niwrad posted:

I get covering it to a certain extent. I was around when LeBron James was a thing, as well as Terrelle Pryor. But those story's were fascinating because they were freak of nature athletes that you couldn't ignore at that point.

"Well it's down to 5 schools and I'm going to pick 1, yes 1 on national tv." It's really bizarre.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

AsInHowe posted:

IMG, yeah.
In the case of IMG, that's just a natural extension of their tennis and soccer programs. Their soccer facilities are so good that they've been used to house the US U17 boys national team for quite some time - I want to say the late 1990s. Academies for the other sports came later, though I think they had a baseball setup in the middle of the 1990's as well.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Niwrad posted:

The only good thing about recruiting is when kids take the piss out of the whole dumb hat routine and pretend to put on one hat before choosing the real one. It makes people so mad that it's cool and good when they do this.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Doug Collins will be calling NBA games for ESPN this year

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Benne posted:

The only good thing about recruiting is when kids take the piss out of the whole dumb hat routine and pretend to put on one hat before choosing the real one. It makes people so mad that it's cool and good when they do this.
They're not taking the piss out of the whole dumb hat routine, they're feeding right into it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

They're not taking the piss out of the whole dumb hat routine, they're feeding right into it.

It can be both, but anything that pisses off boosters and HOT TAEK types is ultimately a good thing.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

So Tirico's going to co-host the NBC Sunday Night pregame

https://twitter.com/SNFonNBC/status/770284443072200705

Sounds like Costas won't be used as much on Sundays

e: And Tirico will call two NFL Network-only Thursday Night games with Doug Flutie

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Wasn't the school Deion Sanders tried to start an attempt to be like IMG?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I think the best story that captures why college recruiting and athletics in general is so messed up is this one:

http://www.chronicle.com/interactives/bounced-around?cid=longform-related

It's the story Elwyn McRoy trying to become a coach. There are dozens of thousands of people trying to become coaches. Most former athletes in their sports, a bunch of outsiders, etc. Most of them end up like the guy in this story, bouncing around between assistant coach jobs and graduate assistant stipends. At that point, and when landing one good recruit can make your career, you are not going to care about propriety, academics, false promises, exploiting the vulnerable or anything like that.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I wonder what got that guy bounced from ISU. He was there when ISU was doing pretty well, and he helped sign a pretty good recruit.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

In some ways I think it would be better for a lot of the "TOP 100 RECRUITS" to be in some sort of minor league farm system that would be akin to the NHL rather than forcing them to go to school.

My fear is it could potentially make college football worse from a talent standpoint, but it could cut down on a lot of the corruption that is seen across the board when it comes to college athletics.

e: I think Student-Athlete would actually mean something if that were a thing.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Aug 29, 2016

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The NFL has no reason to start a farm league up, the NCAA is the best one they could ever ask for.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

DJExile posted:

The NFL has no reason to start a farm league up, the NCAA is the best one they could ever ask for.

While this has certainly been true historically, I think it might be changing. Fewer and fewer schools run pro-style offenses and there have been a few NFL coaches and executives grousing publicly in recent months about how poorly offenses like the spread prepare college QBs for the NFL (this also plainly reveals their expectation that the NCAA's priority ought to be preparing NFL athletes rather than winning their own games).

If that trend continues I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that the NFL would take steps to begin grooming their own QB prospects. Though I suppose it's doubtful that would take the form of a full blown farm league right out of the gate.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

ego symphonic posted:

While this has certainly been true historically, I think it might be changing. Fewer and fewer schools run pro-style offenses and there have been a few NFL coaches and executives grousing publicly in recent months about how poorly offenses like the spread prepare college QBs for the NFL (this also plainly reveals their expectation that the NCAA's priority ought to be preparing NFL athletes rather than winning their own games).

If that trend continues I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that the NFL would take steps to begin grooming their own QB prospects. Though I suppose it's doubtful that would take the form of a full blown farm league right out of the gate.

I mean, when the owners start complaining I'd start to worry about that happening. Until that happens you can point to the Tom Cable's of the world crying about things while they stupidly try to convert defensive linemen since they have 'less to unlearn.' While trotting out awful lines in an attempt to murder his own quarterback.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

ego symphonic posted:

The problem with an NFL farm league is that real talented players are so thin already that having to create another team of 60 or whatever guys seems impossible to me.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

They're also getting the NCAA at no cost to them so it's to argue with the quality of the talent pool when you're not paying for it.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

Benne posted:

This guy was my favorite

http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/look-five-star-mecole-hardman-jr-fakes-with-cakes-picks-georgia/

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Tirico getting more makeup assignments

https://twitter.com/Ourand_SBJ/status/770654400708747264

Also found this interesting chart on how much each sports channel makes on carriage fees alone

https://twitter.com/SportsTVRatings/status/770649842586570752

e: Big 10 Network carriage revenue:
https://twitter.com/SportsTVRatings/status/770651413403676672

Vertical Lime fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Aug 30, 2016

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/770670704379387904

:suicide:

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
At least Trent "YOU CAN'T DRIVE A FERRARI LIKE A PRIUS" Dilfer won't be on color

psyer
Mar 26, 2013
Mike Tirico will have to settle to host SNF and calling Notre Dame games.

http://awfulannouncing.com/ncaa/mike-tirico-to-call-three-notre-dame-games-for-nbc.html

Edit: Looks like this is already posted. Didn't catch that earlier.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Not gonna complain because it probably means Jon Barry isn't there for that game.

Vertical Lime posted:

Tirico getting more makeup assignments

https://twitter.com/Ourand_SBJ/status/770654400708747264

Also found this interesting chart on how much each sports channel makes on carriage fees alone

https://twitter.com/SportsTVRatings/status/770649842586570752

e: Big 10 Network carriage revenue:
https://twitter.com/SportsTVRatings/status/770651413403676672

Well I guess that's how NBA-TV keeps going despite the fact that for whatever reason they struggle to sell ads for the network.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The Pac-12 Network is in that few homes? I get the multiplex of that channel, and I live in Texas. Then again, I get Time Warner Cable SportsNet and SportsNet LA for some reason.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

CaptainYesterday posted:

The Pac-12 Network is in that few homes? I get the multiplex of that channel, and I live in Texas. Then again, I get Time Warner Cable SportsNet and SportsNet LA for some reason.
That's hilarious, since the majority of cable subscribers in Los Angeles that aren't Time Warner Cable subscribers can even get TWSnet LA. The state of Texas is helping fund 'The Dodgers Channel' and they couldn't give a rip about them.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I'm pretty sure most of LA doesn't get the Pac-12 Network either unless something changed recently (I definitely do not). It's still making the conference some money because it's pretty cheap and they own 100% of it but they've had a really hard time getting it on anything but the highest cable tiers. It's definitely not a cash machine the way the Big Ten Network is. They jumped on too late and I guess Pac-12 fans don't yell at their cable companies for not having it as much as Big Ten fans did back in the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

I heard the Pac-12 just hired someone new to fix that carriage problem. That's what happen, especially now, when you don't have someone big to guarantee carriage (ie Fox and the Big 10, ESPN and the SEC).

Meanwhile, this is a rather blatant scheduling move against the competition

https://twitter.com/RealSkipBayless/status/770987545031172100