Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

cheetah7071 posted:

I like that it takes a bit of time to add a pokemon to a competitive team because it makes you more attached to them. The time time investment it currently takes is way too much though

This is a reflection of the deep bond a winning trainer develops with his monsters, yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
the thing is gym leaders aren't designed to take any effort on the player's part, especially not to the point where the battle being doubles would make a real difference

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I would probably cry if they take away reusable TMs

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

cheetah7071 posted:

I like that it takes a bit of time to add a pokemon to a competitive team because it makes you more attached to them. The time time investment it currently takes is way too much though

if you want to go the RP angle, how does mercilessly breeding and discarding ten thousand dudes get you to feel attached to them? id rather just play through the game, do some leveling up and hey, lookit this! my playthrough guy might win a video game contest

that's a let's play story imo. ninty, please let us play

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Zoness posted:

the thing is gym leaders aren't designed to take any effort on the player's part, especially not to the point where the battle being doubles would make a real difference

they should be used to introduce the player how to play pokemon though, and double differs significantly from singles.

Like, this isn't a 'make pokemon harder!!!' thing. I just feel the base game does a very poor job of even introducing how to play doubles, which is the official battle type you have to play competitively.

If doubles are that important, they should be a large part of the single-player game imo. Or they should do 6v6 singles for official tourneys.

Like, there are a ton of random gimmicky battle types now. And you get in roughly the same number of them as you do double battles so it feels like a weird afterthought. I'm pretty sure X/Y had more Sky Battles than Double Battles even.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Zore posted:

Or they should do 6v6 singles for official tourneys.

it takes way too long and also some would say is not as fun to watch

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
i was pretty sure battle subway had both singles and doubles settings and it was how you got most of the good postgame items so v:shobon:v.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

oddium posted:

it takes way too long and also some would say is not as fun to watch

How does 6v6 take too long?

Like maybe in ADV or GSC but the days of omnipresent-stall are long gone and tournaments that allow things like Mega-Khan, Mega-Mence, Mega-Blaziken, Mega-Lucario etc. are not going to have very drawn out matches.

Zoness posted:

i was pretty sure battle subway had both singles and doubles settings and it was how you got most of the good postgame items so v:shobon:v.

Yeah, and that isn't really teaching you how to play at that point. You assume a base level of competence in those and the main game does a piss-poor job of communicating 'hey this is an important, and distinctive, format. Here's how stuff is different'.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

I would totally love a more challenging single player experience with different 'rules' for wild mons, rando trainers, Bad Team ____ trainers, and Pokemon League matches.

I still don't know how if I would play or without reusable TMs :colbert:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
imagine singles with vgc 2016 rules

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Zoness posted:

imagine singles with vgc 2016 rules

imagine doubles with vgc 2016 rules

it was a terrible ruleset for any format, singles would not have made it worse

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Does a hatched mon in a luxury ball get the bonus?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Rygar201 posted:

Does a hatched mon in a luxury ball get the bonus?

Yeah, that's inherent to the ball.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Zore posted:

imagine doubles with vgc 2016 rules

it was a terrible ruleset for any format, singles would not have made it worse

it would have made it worse by virtue of being singles and not doubles

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
mega rayquaza is an unstoppable monster in singles

not literally unstoppable but he has so many strong sets that he is an insane murder machine

Zoness fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Aug 30, 2016

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Zore posted:

Like maybe in ADV or GSC but the days of omnipresent-stall are long gone and tournaments that allow things like Mega-Khan, Mega-Mence, Mega-Blaziken, Mega-Lucario etc. are not going to have very drawn out matches.

adding four more pokemon and then halving the number on the field is inherently longer, and it adds up in a tournament setting

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

give me competitive dress up

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

sharrrk posted:

this, I would actually compete in.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

sharrrk posted:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

oddium posted:

adding four more pokemon and then halving the number on the field is inherently longer, and it adds up in a tournament setting

True.

Currently most VGC matches last, what, roughly 12-18 minutes?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

cheetah7071 posted:

I love my 1s and 0s that some random dude or lady programmed for less pay than they probably deserved.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Isn't allowing legendaries admitting you're allowing hacked mons in your event?

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

a short singles match on cartridge is like 18 minutes

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Rygar201 posted:

no you admit that by saying 'we're allowing hack mons at our event'

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Rygar201 posted:

Not really, there are a ton of people who SR for Legendaries.

People in the last thread posted about it constantly a few months ago. Hell I've SR'd for decent (correct nature) Legendaries even though I'll literally never use them.

Plus in Gen VI they're guaranteed to come with 3 perfect IVs, so as long as you're willing to put even an hour in you can usually get one that has the correct nature and at least 4/6 stats maxed out.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

They should just release like a free tournament download if you have the current generation or something. Like Ali mons, choose nature, values, and moves. Just separately they single player experience from the tournament stuff.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Been running a 5 Ludicolos 1 Sudowoodo team on Showdown and I've made at least three people forfeit thanks to them not expecting a Ludicolo to know Ice Punch.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Rygar201 posted:

They should just release like a free tournament download if you have the current generation or something. Like Ali mons, choose nature, values, and moves. Just separately they single player experience from the tournament stuff.

This will never happen

Even more than 'man I wish my favorite old feature was back', this is something I don't think Nintendo would ever do. Its like the antithesis to the entire series.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
You lost both me and Nintendo at the word "free". Maybe you can earn it with coins on our new Nintendo IP Service.

Seriously though, I just want rental pokemon again. They were so close when they let you co-op with NPCs for the maison, but not quite there and the maison needed more formats.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Just got off the phone with the boss. Cheating is allowed now.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Gammatron 64 posted:

I know, right? Nintendo is really, really bad at making actual competitive games. There's another Nintendo game series out there that people like to pretend is a serious competitive game, but I dare not mention its name because it's huge a can of worms. You all know what I am referring to, though.

Hey gently caress you, Competitive Super Metroid is incredible.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

I was a pro Pikmin player until my precious children were devoured by a Bulbmin and I never recovered emotionally.

CanUSayGym
Aug 19, 2006

Hmm? Vincent van Gogh fuck myself?
Survey says?

Let's just say that I am coming back to Pokemon from I don't know, Red and Blue, dabbled in Silver. Is there a non-encyclopedia form of information from all the new stuff or do I just need to scour Serebii and bulbapedia? Like holy poo poo there's like 40 different balls, so many new pokemon, items to be held, certain pokemon only evolve holding certain things at certain times; all of which throw me cause I enjoyed trying to fill the pokedex on the old games but theres 600+ more of them to catch. I'm looking for a laymans guide to all the new balls, items, and evolutions. I have read that an easy way to catch a lot of pokemon are either quick balls right away or a pokemon with False Swipe. I picked up X a while back but real life took over so I'm finally trying to out and quickly overloaded with all the new info.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

CanUSayGym posted:

Let's just say that I am coming back to Pokemon from I don't know, Red and Blue, dabbled in Silver. Is there a non-encyclopedia form of information from all the new stuff or do I just need to scour Serebii and bulbapedia? Like holy poo poo there's like 40 different balls, so many new pokemon, items to be held, certain pokemon only evolve holding certain things at certain times; all of which throw me cause I enjoyed trying to fill the pokedex on the old games but theres 600+ more of them to catch. I'm looking for a laymans guide to all the new balls, items, and evolutions. I have read that an easy way to catch a lot of pokemon are either quick balls right away or a pokemon with False Swipe. I picked up X a while back but real life took over so I'm finally trying to out and quickly overloaded with all the new info.

Bulbapedia is probably the easiest resource.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

CanUSayGym posted:

honestly your best bet is to just not stress about it and play X and slowly absorb new info as it crops up

remember that this is a series for 7 year olds so by no means do you need to know all this poo poo just to have fun

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

CanUSayGym posted:

Honestly, Serebii and Bulbapedia are the best options outside of just playing the games.

I know it sounds super condescending to just say "Just PLAY the GAME" but like...it's a pretty good teacher, all things considered! It does a good job of holding your hand for all the basic stuff they added. As for the new stuff, Dusk Balls and only playing after 6PM is one of the best ways. Quick Balls at the start are alright but with actual damage and status effects, you get ONE maybe TWO throws most of the time.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

also talk to all the npcs in town, every pokemon is game is someone's first so those rando unimportant npcs will dripfeed you info that's not immediately obvious, especially in the early parts of the game

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

sharrrk posted:

i actually enjoyed the pokemon contests with all the moves being classified as 'beautiful' or 'cool' or whatever and the whole minigame attached to that

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

CanUSayGym posted:

just keep playing and you'll internalize a lot of it and realize some of it just isn't that important

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

CanUSayGym posted:

Honestly, not really. Most of it is cruft you don't need to know right away. Big tips on catching pokemon;

Throw a Quick Ball turn 1 for a decent chance of catching a pokemon. Besides that, using Dusk Balls at night or when inside/in a cave are going to be your best general purpose balls. None of the others are really worth worrying about unless you like the aesthetic.

There are a fuckton of items, most of them kinda worthless. Ones to look out for because they're super common (most of this really only matters in competitive play. Don't stress about hold items till then except maybe the Lucky Egg/Amulet Coin);

Lucky Egg-increases exp gained
Amulet Coin- Doubles money from battle
Leftovers- restores 1/16th of a pokemon's HP every round
Choice Scarf/Band/Specs- Increases pokemon speed/attack/special attack by 1.5x but locks them into the first move they used until you switch out
Assault Vest- Sp. Def x 1.5 but you can only use attacking moves
Sitrus Berry- when pokemon falls below 25% health, it eats this to restore 25%
Megastones- Allow for megaevolution
Expert Belt- If a move is super effective it hits for 1.2x damage
Life Orb- All your pokemon's attacks are 1.3x more powerful. They take 10% damage every turn they use an attacking move

Evolutions are still almost all by level. Bulbapedia has a list of pokemon's various methods of evolution here http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Methods_of_evolution

Happiness is a thing that affects how strong the move Return and Frustration are and also when high causes some pokemon to evolve. Pokemon gain happiness by leveling up, walking around with them in your party or using items on them.

Uh, that's pretty much the most barebones basic guide I got. There is a lot of depth and nuance you'll pick up over time though.

Zore fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Aug 31, 2016