Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
GoldBALLS is in Spider-man, he's Ganke and Miles' new roommate.

Edit: GOLDBALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Toxxupation posted:

- Stature had a bit of a run after The Initiative, but then had the whole unpleasantness happen to her during Children's Crusade.

She's been in the most recent Ant-Man run with her powers returned and new superhero identity, Stinger. Which is of course a reference to her alternate future MC2 self.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Toxxupation posted:

- Ant-Man (Eric O'Grady) was on Secret Avengers for a while.
- Hardball hung around for a bit and was last seen briefly in Fear Itself. Komodo was also last seen briefly in Fear Itself.
- Prodigy starred in a Fear Itself mini.
- Stature had a bit of a run after The Initiative, but then had the whole unpleasantness happen to her during Children's Crusade.

So no, not really. To be fair, although I liked Avengers: The Initiative, Avengers Academy had both the better and more layered characters overall and if any should be brought back, it should be them.

I was more talking Komodo, Hardball, Cloud 9, 3-D man, but yeah 2 of those guys are dead already. It really is a shame that marvel and DC throw away so many charcters.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Prodigy wasn't even new, he was from the Slingers series if we want to talk about Marvel throwing away characters.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Prodigy wasn't even new, he was from the Slingers series if we want to talk about Marvel throwing away characters.

yeah marvel does it even than DC. I'm reading through a lot of old marvel with unlimited and there are a lot of neat characters that appear for a couple of years and *poof* away.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Mr Hootington posted:

I was more talking Komodo, Hardball, Cloud 9, 3-D man, but yeah 2 of those guys are dead already. It really is a shame that marvel and DC throw away so many charcters.

Cloud 9 showed up really briefly right after Siege in a little anthology series called, IIRC, Age of Heroes. My memory's fuzzy on the details but her little story was just about her going to see Steve Rogers on the top of a building. She thinks she's getting some unspecified mission and she's all serious but then Rogers just tells her to chill and that the SHRA has been repealed and she doesn't have to be a government-mandated superhero if she doesn't want to. So she chucks her registration card off the roof and flies away yelling woohoo. It was cute :)

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity
Can anyone recommend some good podcasts that talk about Marvel's current releases? There's a million comics podcasts and YouTubers out there, but it's hard to find anything good.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Jay and Miles from "Jay and Miles X-Plain the X-Men" do a pretty decent video review on YouTube that generally goes up on Thursdays and is focused on recent X-releases.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Adjectiveless X-Men is on sale https://www.comixology.com/X-Men-Sale/page/12034?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL2xhcmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw
I quit after the Atom crossover, but how was Wilson's run?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Teenage Fansub posted:

Adjectiveless X-Men is on sale https://www.comixology.com/X-Men-Sale/page/12034?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL2xhcmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw
I quit after the Atom crossover, but how was Wilson's run?

It's got Gambit picking up women at Burning Man.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I read the first issue of Hellcat today and hope Jen gets more things spilled on her.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

twistedmentat posted:

Females are strong as hell.

She alive, dammit.

It's a miracle!

Xinder posted:

I tried to explain Franklin Richards to someone tonight and in doing so realized I know pretty much nothing about this character beyond "he's the son of reed and sue and he's like a god or something".

Can someone help out so that I can be more useful next time this question comes up?

It's easy.

Franklin Richards is a regular kid with an extremely vivid imagination.

Also he's a mutant (?) with the ability to reshape reality to his whim, so it's a good thing that he's basically a good kid and not an evil mastermind.

That's all you really have to know to "get" Franklin.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

I read the first issue of Hellcat today and hope Jen gets more things spilled on her.

Just wait til the CW2 tie in issue.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_v76eV55B8

lovin this

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Aug 30, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Is that one of the cheap plastic toy ones? It doesn't look like the normal prop.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

If Thor starts acting like the secretary Chris Hemsworth played in Ghostbusters, then he is instantly the best character.

Edit - Also, I started the original Fantastic Four comics by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby. I love how weird they are, to the point where Johnny is reading a comic about Namor, gets told about this bum that's as strong as Namor, and as it turns out, it's an amnesiac Namor.

The other highlight was the team traveling back in time and The Thing becomes Blackbeard in a stable time loop.

Roth fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Aug 30, 2016

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Detective Thor is best Thor. Seriously, anything featuring the Odinson with a notepad or a conspiracy pinboard makes me laugh.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Anyone have any theories on what this new MU project is that Marvel's teasing? Supposed to be announced Thursday night. The teasers are pretty nondescript. Basically just the name of the people involved: Cullen Bunn, Steve McNiven, Adam Kubert, and Greg Land. I'm assuming based on the pattern of release they'll release another artist's name tomorrow before the reveal.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's another continuity reboot.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Waffleman_ posted:

It's another continuity reboot.

Another implies there's ever been one in the first place. Also I'm not sure that's the team you'd put on that.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

X-O posted:

Anyone have any theories on what this new MU project is that Marvel's teasing? Supposed to be announced Thursday night. The teasers are pretty nondescript. Basically just the name of the people involved: Cullen Bunn, Steve McNiven, Adam Kubert, and Greg Land. I'm assuming based on the pattern of release they'll release another artist's name tomorrow before the reveal.

The next event is my guess

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mr Hootington posted:

The next event is my guess

One writer and three artists doesn't really scream event to me. Seems more like several new books or some kind of rotating anthology type thing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Marvel Rebirth.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
If it's coming after IvX Mutants Unleashed

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Following Inhumans v X-Men, it'll be Mutant Usomething.

Mutant Universe where that rumor of shuffling the mutants off to their own world will come true.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Ultimate Rebirth. : we promise Wanda and Pietro aren't going to gently caress this time.

The AN Wolverine Annual is pretty adorable Laura and Gwen switch bodies, and hilarity ensues with them trying to figure out how to operate each other bodies, with the healing and the claws and the super strength and webs

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I wanna meet the Marvel exec who still thinks Greg Land is someone to hype.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I read a couple more issues of Hellcat today, and it feels kinda weird for Doreen to just appear in another book, what with how kinda standalone her book is.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

She was/is in the ANAD New Avengers too.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also the art for Hellcat is really cute.

It seems my criteria for liking Marvel comics is:

1. Funny
2. Cute art

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Teenage Fansub posted:

I wanna meet the Marvel exec who still thinks Greg Land is someone to hype.

Unfortunately Greg Land is pretty popular. He's also very reliable. So that makes him an asset even if his art is bad.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Mystique: U-Boat

Testing the limits of her shape-changing gifts, the mutant mistress of mistrust, the one called Mystique, uncovers her ability to take the forms of various World War II-vintage German naval equipment! Could she ever be prepared for the new period that await her in the briny deep? She'll have to sink or swim in this 36-issue weekly series!!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Mr. Universe: The world is rocked as Steven Universe is brought into the Marvel Universe

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

Mr. Universe: The world is rocked as Steven Universe Arnold Schwarzenegger is brought into the Marvel Universe

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Squizzle posted:

Mystique: U-Boat

Testing the limits of her shape-changing gifts, the mutant mistress of mistrust, the one called Mystique, uncovers her ability to take the forms of various World War II-vintage German naval equipment! Could she ever be prepared for the new period that await her in the briny deep? She'll have to sink or swim in this 36-issue weekly series!!

Finally a series that appeals to both my transformation fetish and my WW2 era nostalgia.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Waffleman_ posted:

Also the art for Hellcat is really cute.

It seems my criteria for liking Marvel comics is:

1. Funny
2. Cute art

I find books that are heavily female focused appeal the most to me, but these certainly help.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I can't believe that

1. Natasha Allegri is doing this issue
2. Arcade still exists

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Oh god you hit that issue.

That issue nearly made me take Patsy Walker off my pull list.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

2. Arcade still exists
You should read Avengers Academy Giant-Size #1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

And Avengers Are-

• Locked thread