Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Macaluso posted:

He was a Roadhog at first, then proceeded to contribute nothing as McCree intentionally. He then quit right before they finished taking the second point after they easily stomped us. I guess you showed us dude :thumbsup:

Why is he insinuating that changing to McCree is a threat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Because McCree is literally useless if you're a potato, like him. :downs:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Supercar Gautier posted:

People swear up and down that the system tries to force a 50% winrate by knocking you down a peg if you win too much, but I think that's just the vain "I shouldn't be losing!!" part of their brains talking.

Those people are wrong and the lead designer of the game is on record explicitly saying that they're wrong.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Grapplejack posted:

I really wish scatter arrow wasn't part of Hanzo's kit, and that torb's turret's barrels were in the center of the model, rather than on top of it.

Please no. This lets Torb place it in places that can't be immediately taken out without any effort, and he's already easy enough to shut down.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
It's for the best that MMR rankings and how it's determined is somewhat hazy but that also contributes to a lot of dumb conspiracy theory poo poo.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

And people make dumb conspiracy theories because they refuse to admit that a fair and functional matchmaker will, yes, give you around a 50/50 win rate when obviously they should be winning all the time because they're awesome.

It really only breaks down at the very high and low ends where the matchmaker actually can't find enough people to give fair fights.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
Dumb conspiracies sound real good when you pull four golds and a silver as mei, though.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Idea: maybe we should change in this way so we stop getting stomped
Response: why you so salty bro salt city over here saaaaaaaaaaaalt

every time. I hate people

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Huh, if you join a game at the last second because somebody ragequit, you get a 400xp "backfill" bonus now.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Huh, if you join a game at the last second because somebody ragequit, you get a 400xp "backfill" bonus now.

You always have iirc.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Your hidden mmr works the same way as your competitive rank. It only goes up or down based on winning and losing. Performance determines how high or low you move. So by only moving people up or down based on performance it automatically is forcing you toward 50% win/loss. The way streaks will then most likely happen is by performing poorly and still winning or performing really well and still losing. If you win, but the game doesn't think you contributed very much, then your mmr will move up much less than if you performed really well, which allows you stay matched with lower rank people. If you perform well, but lose then your mmr drops little and you stay matched with a more challenging group. As you move up or down you will eventually get where you are dead weight and definitely lose or become able to carry and definitely win.

Idia
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
MMR in quick play definitely works. One of my friends was a level 80 player in comp play and me and my other friends are probably were lvl 30-50 players (I was level 48) and we had great tight matches as a group. I still got medals when so I knew I was still contributing. My lvl 80 friend found them fun too. This is like a complete opposite of our experiences when the game was released and they matched us only with other people around his skill level. Great job Blizzard.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
has there ever been an enjoyable match on Hanamura?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It's for the best that MMR rankings and how it's determined is somewhat hazy but that also contributes to a lot of dumb conspiracy theory poo poo.

The only upside to hidden MMR that isn't condescending bullshit is that it makes it harder to game the system, which is mostly just a matter of delaying the inevitable anyways.

The same extends to hidden performance metrics although the best solution to that remains to just not have them.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

Wildtortilla posted:

There was this game, if only because I escaped

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Wildtortilla posted:

i enjoy it more now that im a lucio main

i think the second point is good either way, though. lots of nooks and crannies with clear paths for effective flanking but still enough options for defenders as long as they can block/counter ults effectively

ive never particularly understood the dislike of twocap maps, though. they were the only source of the vastly superior time banking system in season 1, and the issues they have at pro levels of play dont really apply to pickup matches

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

Wildtortilla posted:

This mercifully-quick example from last week's brawl was pretty fun tbh :v:

CanUSayGym
Aug 19, 2006

Hmm? Vincent van Gogh fuck myself?
Survey says?

Has anyone timed out when that a moment in crime website is suppose to hit 100%?

strong bird
May 12, 2009

CanUSayGym posted:

Has anyone timed out when that a moment in crime website is suppose to hit 100%?

4/20/69

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

CanUSayGym posted:

I think the going conspiracy theory is it's going to hit 23% in a week, when Season 2 starts, and something might happen then.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
ARGs suck. Stealth characters suck. Sombra sucks.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

Verranicus posted:

THat was one of the thing they didn't fix. It worked fine for the longest time then suddenly, yeah, people would start being paired with premades over and over. It's still like that and was the main reason I left. It was like they literally just abandoned the game but kept it up to generate money for their newer projects.

Super Monday Night Combat had a shitload of problems despite the fun parts :

-They also spent a shitload of time working on that garbage Blitz mode and released it right before MvM in tf2 was about to release
-They had to permanently remove snipers from the free rotation because people were able to easily make aimbots because the game was using unreal (so they could easily adapt hacks from more popular UE3 games)
-The rate of content being added was extremely slow, even before Planetary Annihilation was announced or likely even being worked on
-Their super secret closed beta club were actually the ones exploiting the game, and were so dedicated to being total cunts that they actively queued up at the same time as Giant Bomb's quicklook to stomp the gently caress out of them
-Community was angry as gently caress, it was like CSGO + Dota communities combined. Plus since SMNC increased the farming elements and the time to kill significantly, feeding or just being poo poo became an issue.
-Matchmaking was pretty poo poo even during the few times the community had some life in it due to stuff like the TF2 hat promotion : The game would almost always have 1 anchor player per team no matter what, so I imagine the newer players would get in a game with 1 other equal player and 8 super pros and quit as soon as they got the hat.
-Uber refused to make the queues solo/duo only + five man only, and you'd get commissioned into a team of 4 retards if you were solo queueing.
-Grapple detection was iffy at best, and air grapples were never solved

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

lovely Wizard posted:

Super Monday Night Combat had a shitload of problems despite the fun parts :

-They also spent a shitload of time working on that garbage Blitz mode and released it right before MvM in tf2 was about to release
-They had to permanently remove snipers from the free rotation because people were able to easily make aimbots because the game was using unreal (so they could easily adapt hacks from more popular UE3 games)
-The rate of content being added was extremely slow, even before Planetary Annihilation was announced or likely even being worked on
-Their super secret closed beta club were actually the ones exploiting the game, and were so dedicated to being total cunts that they actively queued up at the same time as Giant Bomb's quicklook to stomp the gently caress out of them
-Community was angry as gently caress, it was like CSGO + Dota communities combined. Plus since SMNC increased the farming elements and the time to kill significantly, feeding or just being poo poo became an issue.
-Matchmaking was pretty poo poo even during the few times the community had some life in it due to stuff like the TF2 hat promotion : The game would almost always have 1 anchor player per team no matter what, so I imagine the newer players would get in a game with 1 other equal player and 8 super pros and quit as soon as they got the hat.
-Uber refused to make the queues solo/duo only + five man only, and you'd get commissioned into a team of 4 retards if you were solo queueing.
-Grapple detection was iffy at best, and air grapples were never solved

Not saying the game was perfect, but I remember enjoying it up to a specific point where it became painfully obvious Uber was no longer supporting the game at all. A similar thing happened to the 2D MOBA Awesomenauts, where it started out pretty decent but over time the devs started working on other games and expansions while neglecting the server infrastructure and the base game and it became more trouble than it was worth to play. Sad how all of these games that put a fun spin on the standard MOBA end up dying net to same old same olds like LoL, HoN and Dota 2.

EDIT: People are already bitching that Season 2 competitive mode "isn't competitive enough" anymore with the changes made, lol.

Verranicus fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Aug 31, 2016

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Verranicus posted:

Not saying the game was perfect, but I remember enjoying it up to a specific point where it became painfully obvious Uber was no longer supporting the game at all. A similar thing happened to the 2D MOBA Awesomenauts, where it started out pretty decent but over time the devs started working on other games and expansions while neglecting the server infrastructure and the base game and it became more trouble than it was worth to play. Sad how all of these games that put a fun spin on the standard MOBA end up dying net to same old same olds like LoL, HoN and Dota 2.

EDIT: People are already bitching that Season 2 competitive mode "isn't competitive enough" anymore with the changes made, lol.

Sounds similar to how WoW killed any other mmorpgs from having a chance.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Maybe theres a reason why WoW and dota are popular other than they're popular

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So I guess boosting D.Va as she's entering her mech doesn't boost her mech at all.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Fateo McMurray posted:

Idea: maybe we should change in this way so we stop getting stomped
Response: why you so salty bro salt city over here saaaaaaaaaaaalt

every time. I hate people

Salt callouts should be reserved for obvious whining and rage.

'Hey, maybe one of us should go healer' is not salty.

'Torb is a fag fukkin idiots' coming from the losing side is salt.

Getting a hate message is a salt mine and should be made public immediately for others to laugh about.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Macaluso posted:

So I guess boosting D.Va as she's entering her mech doesn't boost her mech at all.

It does not. Doesn't work the other way either, if a boosted mech dies D.Va won't pop out glowing blue.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Hey thread, since you find Torb so underpowered what would you do to boost him?

Ahhpple
Dec 18, 2011

Nothing, he's the kind of character that should remain bad forever

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Grapplejack posted:

Hey thread, since you find Torb so underpowered what would you do to boost him?

He should be able to ride his turret like in one of his intros

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

torb is fine the rivet gun is loving nuts

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Remove the Scrap mechanic entirely and put armor packs on a 10 second cooldown.

Make the Lvl 1 hit slightly harder but the lvl 2 hit slightly weaker to encourage a more mobile Torb. Lvl 3's output is probably fine.

But these wouldn't make him better, they'd just make him a little less annoying to play as. He doesn't need to be better, because

Ahhpple posted:

he's the kind of character that should remain bad forever

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Didn't they fix the >100% bug? Apparently not :cawg:

(since we had a guy DC I'm guessing that screwed up the math somehow)

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
Make his turret a tank that seeks out enemies during his ult, to compensate it explodes when finished so it needs to be rebuilt.

Make his regular lava shot weaker but a dot.

Let him build a different kind of turret. like one that deals like a quarter what it does now and a lot less frequently (like 1 shot every 3 seconds after the first) that like lowers enemy defense or slows them down a ton.

I dunno anything creative.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

I only hate quickplay now because the competitive people are using it to "vent" in a way. Like before it was actually a place to get a decent match now and again. Now most are just kinda jumping in and going "lol no is serious, I'l be da hero, watch me keep trying to take 5 people on, I NEED HEALING"

I'm fine with silly poo poo and having fun, that what I like over watch for.

But I do like situational awareness.

Like 5 torbs, hollywood point A. Whatever difficult, but practice with the match, not insurmountable, even though theres a very hard counter to that with a pink mech. Especially because they had no healer and kept leaving their turrets, which didn't all cover eachother up close, but did from far.

Widowmaker is who you want to switch to?
You sure you wanna stay Pharah and keep flying in the air my man?
No you can't counter torb with torb, they're on defense.

Ok look soldier has his ult, cool I'll use my zen ult to get him in, kill some shorties.

Nope he decides to run with my invincibility into a staircase, not killing the group of torbs who decided to shoot at me (?invincible?)
after that I flew in as dva destroyed 2 turrets and got the point to 1/3, but yeah the rest of the team was :downs: so the torbs got back and killed me. ( i mean at least they managed to get close with a turret or 2 down)

I try not to be the guy but console people are clearly a bit more terrible than i want to admit.
And the no more ranked lets get retarded factor isn't making me enjoy the game more.

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Aug 31, 2016

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

I feel bitchy.

Maybe I'll just jump to PC, I just built my first computer and i may as well use my 1070 while it's relevant.

but you guys are complaining too, so is your quickplay as bad?

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Kenshin posted:

I would be perfectly happy with a 2-same-hero limit for QP, to be honest. You could still run silly team builds but none of this 6-same-hero bullshit anymore. It's not fun to play against even when we win.

This is terrible. When someone criticizes the team Hanjo or Torbjörn we need the option to go all Hanjo out of spite for that player.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

So whatever hidden mmr black magic is at work with quick play, I feel like it's effective. I've been seriously upping my d'va game over the past two weeks, and I've gone from getting grouped up with moronic ragelords to playing with/against decent and chill people. Like, the game is consistently fun now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

SectumSempra posted:

I feel bitchy.

Maybe I'll just jump to PC, I just built my first computer and i may as well use my 1070 while it's relevant.

but you guys are complaining too, so is your quickplay as bad?

Obviously it changes with hidden MMR and time of day but PC quickplay for me has been fine since ranked ended. Once there were three Windowmakers but most of the time there are tanks and supports, sometimes I tank or support, and most people play the objectives. There's less talking and coordination (almost none), less 2/2/2, and the occasional game where there's six of the same hero but I've had a good percentage of close and satisfying games.

Sometimes we are missing a heal or tank (and DPS complain rather than switch themselves) but much like with my ranked experience the worst games are when our DPS is not securing kills and I'm already the only healer or tank so I can't change without some team coordination.