Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Tashilicious posted:

That's where it started, I never got the "raging hatred" by the end of it. Maybe I'm just reading too much of my own subtext into it, but once the revelation was in that Jenova was the one driving much of the plot up partway through Disk 2, Sephiroth became... Less of a thing.

Well, now I think more on it, you're right. Cloud does seem to mellow out on his Sephiroth murder boner. I don't know how much it has to do with Jenova though. I think it's more that "Cloud" in Disk 1 wasn't necessarily the real Cloud in a lot of ways.What's more , once he gets his head on straight, Cloud realized the "hatred" he bore for Sephiroth was all part of Sephiroth's plan to make sure Cloud kept following him.

By the end, Cloud is pretty zen and realizes Sephiroth has to be stopped and is doing itfor that reason, as opposd to a lust for revenge. His final quote to Sephiroth is even sort of a toast.
"And Sephiroth! To the settling of everything!!" (I've always liked this line. Sure it sounds weird but I still like it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Sephiroth also killed Cloud's mom.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

That could be because Terra is unable to feel positive emotions.

Her entire World of Ruin character arc was about discovering that she was feeling love for the orphans she took in. I'd say that's pretty positive.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Bufuman posted:

Her entire World of Ruin character arc was about discovering that she was feeling love for the orphans she took in. I'd say that's pretty positive.

This is some Dredd-level character development though. Like, her arc is realizing that she felt anything once.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NikkolasKing posted:

Well, now I think more on it, you're right. Cloud does seem to mellow out on his Sephiroth murder boner. I don't know how much it has to do with Jenova though. I think it's more that "Cloud" in Disk 1 wasn't necessarily the real Cloud in a lot of ways.What's more , once he gets his head on straight, Cloud realized the "hatred" he bore for Sephiroth was all part of Sephiroth's plan to make sure Cloud kept following him.

By the end, Cloud is pretty zen and realizes Sephiroth has to be stopped and is doing itfor that reason, as opposd to a lust for revenge. His final quote to Sephiroth is even sort of a toast.
"And Sephiroth! To the settling of everything!!" (I've always liked this line. Sure it sounds weird but I still like it)

Basically. Also, while it may sound a little strange, I think it's because it's a more archaic mode of speech than what the generally good vernacular translation off FFVII had going for it. In IX it wouldn't feel out of place, because a lot of the script has these sort of older trappings to them (while still maintaining a generally good vernacular. poo poo I cannot say enough about how amazing the writing and localization for FFIX is loving amazing).

FFVII is in a battle to the death with IX for my favourite FF, mostly because so much of the story and motivation has to be done through subtext (and not entirely because of the bad translation job). It is a game about broken people, and I feel like it delivers spectacularly with how they are presented. Outside of Cloud, we never get inner thoughts of their motivations, and when they speak of them openly it can never be taken at face value because of how drat broken the character is. Everyone is unreliable when speaking of themselves or others, and the only truth that can be found is in deeds and subtext. It is amazing so much of it got through despite the poo poo script we were given.

IX, on the other hand, being so enamoured with plays, does not have as much subtext going on. Everything is plain text, everything is played honest and open. If someone claims something as their motivation, they are speaking truth. We do not have the psychodrama-thiller, we just have the melodrama passion play. Both of them work very well in to tell their story. And IX is a much simpler story, with much simpler characters, than VII. It is honestly mindblowing that these two extremes come from, broadly, the same teams.

As for VIII; I think the biggest issue I still have with VIII is that they give us reams of internal monologue for Squall. I will only play it through again if I can find, or make, a mod that removes ever. Singular. Instant. Of Squalls inner voice. I think the game would be immeasurably better if we had to deal with Squall like everyone else does; only based on what he speaks and does.

i cant stop talking about jrpgs help :ohdear:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Squall works with an internal monologue because he reveals so little about himself. If he wasn't the main character he'd just be that lone wolf that Irvine tries so unsuccessfully to be. Him despairing at the merry gaggle of idiots that surrounds him is pretty much the player experience. And him ribbing on Laguna during dream sequences (too bad he doesn't do it anymore after Disc 1).

Plus 'I dreamt I was a moron' is pretty much up there with 'I don't like your plan. It sucks.' as one of the best out-of-context FF quotes.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ApplesandOranges posted:

Squall works with an internal monologue because he reveals so little about himself. If he wasn't the main character he'd just be that lone wolf that Irvine tries so unsuccessfully to be. Him despairing at the merry gaggle of idiots that surrounds him is pretty much the player experience. And him ribbing on Laguna during dream sequences (too bad he doesn't do it anymore after Disc 1).

Plus 'I dreamt I was a moron' is pretty much up there with 'I don't like your plan. It sucks.' as one of the best out-of-context FF quotes.

For a further playthrough, I'd still prefer it my way. I really got sick of the monologuing and, honestly, after a while, wished it would stop. There are a few that I think work good (the entire sequence in Dollet(i r dum) Galbadia Garden when they're talking about Seifer, and then Squall ends his long and logical train of thought by shoutting "NO ONE WILL TALK ABOUT BE IN THE PAST TENSE" and running out. There may be a part of me that wants monologues out because it'll make the game loving hillarious). But there is too much of it, and I can honestly understand what they're going for without needing the constant snark from Squall, just from his body language and reactions.

Plus, while Squall tries to play off as the aloof lone wolf, I don't think he really is. He cares too much. And a lot of that gets muddled with the constant whinge of his brain.

Not to mention it would make those few times he does break down and reveal his inner self have more impact, and more depth, than now. As it is, it's just Squall telling the rest of the cast what we already know at length.

(then again, FFVIII is a game that, while I may have played it as many times as VII and IX, I haven't touched SINCE I got both VII and IX. Both of those I have played start to finish multiple times. VIII, only maaaaybe twice. Maybe. I think it was ever only once, though, through to completion.)

Tashilicious fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Aug 30, 2016

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Tashilicious posted:

Basically. Also, while it may sound a little strange, I think it's because it's a more archaic mode of speech than what the generally good vernacular translation off FFVII had going for it. In IX it wouldn't feel out of place, because a lot of the script has these sort of older trappings to them (while still maintaining a generally good vernacular. poo poo I cannot say enough about how amazing the writing and localization for FFIX is loving amazing).

FFVII is in a battle to the death with IX for my favourite FF, mostly because so much of the story and motivation has to be done through subtext (and not entirely because of the bad translation job). It is a game about broken people, and I feel like it delivers spectacularly with how they are presented. Outside of Cloud, we never get inner thoughts of their motivations, and when they speak of them openly it can never be taken at face value because of how drat broken the character is. Everyone is unreliable when speaking of themselves or others, and the only truth that can be found is in deeds and subtext. It is amazing so much of it got through despite the poo poo script we were given.

IX, on the other hand, being so enamoured with plays, does not have as much subtext going on. Everything is plain text, everything is played honest and open. If someone claims something as their motivation, they are speaking truth. We do not have the psychodrama-thiller, we just have the melodrama passion play. Both of them work very well in to tell their story. And IX is a much simpler story, with much simpler characters, than VII. It is honestly mindblowing that these two extremes come from, broadly, the same teams.

As for VIII; I think the biggest issue I still have with VIII is that they give us reams of internal monologue for Squall. I will only play it through again if I can find, or make, a mod that removes ever. Singular. Instant. Of Squalls inner voice. I think the game would be immeasurably better if we had to deal with Squall like everyone else does; only based on what he speaks and does.

i cant stop talking about jrpgs help :ohdear:

Have you ever played or heard of a game called Xenogears? You might like it. It has a lot in common with FFVII seeing as Xenogears was originally going to be FFVII.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Tashilicious posted:

(then again, FFVIII is a game that, while I may have played it as many times as VII and IX, I haven't touched SINCE I got both VII and IX. Both of those I have played start to finish multiple times. VIII, only maaaaybe twice. Maybe. I think it was ever only once, though, through to completion.)

if you're unaware, Cool Ghost is giving VIII the same kind of treatment that Mega64 is giving IX, and it's already changed some people's minds about the game overall

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen
A little late, but I've been wanting to draw something for the thread for a while, here's something to congratulate OFS on getting through the Iifa Tree.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Squarely Circle posted:

A little late, but I've been wanting to draw something for the thread for a while, here's something to congratulate OFS on getting through the Iifa Tree.

Yessssssssssss

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Squarely Circle posted:

I don't know why I didn't 5 this thread before, but that's done it

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Squarely Circle posted:

It's just flipping all of the birds, how in the world am I getting a smug vibe from this :psyduck:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Squarely Circle posted:

This is about how it felt, yes.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Squarely Circle posted:

It's gorgeous!

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

That Stroper is excellent. It looks so happy to be flipping everything off. I think if I had multiple arms I would too.

Also excellent: the track for the love letter scene. It's a tiny little scene but they made a great bit of music for it anyway and it ends up being really memorable.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Squarely Circle posted:

I don't think I should be reading this thread at work.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Fister Roboto posted:

I don't think I should be reading this thread at work.

*Fister Roboto's boss writes a note reading "You're fired!" but the intern asked to deliver it accidentally drops it near the dock*

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NikkolasKing posted:

Have you ever played or heard of a game called Xenogears? You might like it. It has a lot in common with FFVII seeing as Xenogears was originally going to be FFVII.

let me tell you about when i played xenogears i remember hopping around on blocks on the map and there was mecha and poo poo son it looked awesome but then i had to return it to the video store but im glad it got the other games as sequels, you know the ones with all the german in it. i hear its a very good cutscene.

Squarely Circle posted:

:allears:

morallyobjected posted:

if you're unaware, Cool Ghost is giving VIII the same kind of treatment that Mega64 is giving IX, and it's already changed some people's minds about the game overall

I know, I've just only recently been able to read threads without listening to that goddamn youtube at some point mocking me, so I know for sure I've started reading it at some point, but then lost track and never bothered to find my place again. It's bookmarked and I've been nibbling at it. I also know that a lot of my feelings towards 8 could probably be mitigated by not just being irritated by drawing (I was like 13 at the time gimme a break I didn't know how systems worked I just made my numbers bigger with more spells I was terrified of casting and ground my way to 99 with 9's and 255's in appropriate places then lionhearted my way through the last disk with aura without refining any of my PRECIOUS PRECIOUS CARDS i also barely used except to make some energy ammo for the last gunblade cuz gently caress yeah i wanna lightsabergun), the fact that if (when) I play it through again, I'll be doing it a way I felt was missing from it generally. Squall Spellslinger Squad, nundat weapon silliness.

Outside of the emotional tone that VIII didn't quite scratch for me compared to VII or IX. At the time, it was the only FF I'd ever played, and I thought it was pretty drat awesome. Then I happened to play VII and IX, and my entire perspective changed. When looking back at the various emotional and story beats of the games, the ones from VIII always felt more... Facile than the others. Thats about as best as I can put it without going into long winded spoilers for all three games.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Will probably work on the next update soon, but couldn't help myself.

drat, do I wish I could've fit in more of the Ragtime Mouse animation.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Aug 30, 2016

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Apparently that Jump Rope King title isn't just for show.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Bufuman posted:

Apparently that Jump Rope King title isn't just for show.

Except that he immediately fell on his face there but the gif cut it off.

How the hell does Vivi of all people have the coordination to do Jump Rope?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

NikkolasKing posted:

Except that he immediately fell on his face there but the gif cut it off.

How the hell does Vivi of all people have the coordination to do Jump Rope?

He doesn't if you don't press X really well.

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen
Press X to eat pickles.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

We're back at Treno! Well, some are, some are here for the first time.

I apologize for the lack of space.
It's fine...
Hey, Amarant, have you been here before?
...What about you?

Looks like Zidane got his swagger back, at least.

Oh, of course. There's no hurry.

Wh-Who? Me?
Yes, you! This is my first time in Treno. Show me around.

What about you, Amarant?

I think he said "......".

Well, then I better go register.
I'm a skilled card player. Please let me know if you need assistance.
Hey, I'm not so out of practice that I'd need your help.
I see. Good luck.

Note: I haven't played Tetra Master since the second update when it first comes up.

We're not going to play today. Instead we're gonna watch lots of cutscenes as we've been doing the past several updates.

First ATE involves Eiko and Vivi.

Why didn't I invite Zidane?
Y-Yeah.

...What do you mean?
Aaargh! You big dope!

But Zidane wants to act cool, so they misunderstand each other and end up fighting. Now do you understand?

See, a freaking six-year-old can see through Zidane's bullshit facade. For someone who's been isolated from people for pretty much her entire life, Eiko's pretty drat good at reading people.

It's so hopeless...

H-Hey, wait...!

Hey! You're...
Huh...?

To be continued in a moment.

If you run low on cards, I will give you some of mine.

I've won enough from monsters and stealing from Hippaul that I'll manage. Plus winning the first two matches are mandatory anyway to progress the story so you can just use the cards you win from them for the final match and just play lovely cards for the first two until you win from blind luck. Which is pretty drat easy considering this is Tetra Master and all.

Let's check back up with Vivi.

Um, thank you very much for your help on the airship.
Hey, no worries. My master is a good man. Anyone else would've refused.

Yeah...

This ATE is backstory as to how Vivi went to Alexandria and the play there in the first place. I don't think there's anything on who this master is, though maybe it was someone who knew of the black mages and assumed he was one of the "lifeless puppets" and took him there. Don't know how likely that is, though.

Y-Yeah.
Wasn't there an accident during the show? Were you okay?
Oh, um... Well, yeah, I was okay.
Good! Well, I gotta get back to work.

Yes, I do...
Your family must be worried. Go home soon! See ya!

This choice changes the game slightly. The latter choice apparently gives us another ATE involving Hippaul which lets us win a rare card in the tournament later, only one of two in the game. However, there's a bit more backstory for Vivi for the former option so let's go home.

Well, since I'm so close to home, I might as well stop by.

We're done with Vivi for now. Let's check in with the others.

Gotta find my next scam...

Hey, I'm talkin' to you! Don't you know who I am!?
...No.
What!? I'm the infamous...

Y-You're... the Flaming Amarant!

Seems Amarant's reputation precedes him. The guy's certainly not a no-name, unlike the other guy, who is a no-name because we can't find it out yet.

Oh, I know! You were being a bully, weren't you?
My grandpa always told me that bullies are actually cowards.
Just leave me alone...

I never knew the Flaming Amarant had a soft spot for kids!

Amarant? Where are you going?

The conclusion in a moment. Let's chat with the locals.

Charming as ever.

I have to get my usual...

The synth and equipment shops have the same stuff from Alexandria, so this guy's kinda lying.

We have three more Stellazzio to turn in, netting an Elixir, 10000 Gil, and another Black Belt if we missed the one from Black Mage Village.

Now for the last ATE for today. There's more to come but we can't trigger those until after we do the stupid card tournament.

How wonderful! I'll bet it's gorgeous.
Indeed, it is. I had to add a room to my mansion for it!
Oh, my...
Everything costs so much!
I am also thinking about buying a behemoth statue for our mansion.
Everything costs so much!

I thought they would be more carefree.
Kupopo!

Hey... What are you doing?

Oh, you're the one who was being pushed around by Amarant.
Ha ha ha... D-Don't be silly!

...Alright. Hey, are you new here?
Uh-huh. I'm sightseeing.
Hey, why don't I show you around?
No thanks. I'm fine by myself.
W-Wait!

(I just need to nab her and get even with Amarant... That bounty on his head is mine for the taking!)

W-Wait! I'll take you out to dinner.
Dinner?

Treno gelato, seaweed pasta... The choice is yours.

Oh yeah, Quina apparently found their way back from Madain Sari to Treno. Sure, why not.

Yeah, lots of delicious...

Hey, Quina.
You say you have delicious food?
Wha- Who the heck are you!?
I want delicious food.
Wh-Why do I gotta... A-Are you part of Amarant's posse?

Kupopo!

The abilities on the Chimera Armlet, Add Status and Mug, aren't new. It's still a nice upgrade though, and it nullfies Holy damage, which is kinda handy.

Family's strong as ever. As I said, I've got more important things to do first.

There's a new monster here.

Catoblepas is another series staple, so much so that it's even a summon in a couple of games. It's also known as Shoat.

Its main gimmick is petrification, so Jelly is handy here, as is Beast Killer.

It also has Thunder spells, so the Coral Ring combined with the above abilities make this fight pretty easy.

As I mentioned before, Thievery's damage is (Number of Successful Steals * Zidane's Speed)/2. Zidane's speed is 25, so we can see how many times Zidane has stolen so far this LP by dividing the damage by 12.5.

Thievery's effect isn't that exciting...

...but that damage certainly is. Apparently I've stolen...225 times. In all of Disc 1 I pretty much had Zidane exclusively stealing from random encounters. That tapered off after Zidane ended up being my only physical offense, but all that early stealing is paying off now.

I'm kinda surprised at that total, but definitely not complaining! That's 225 instances of free poo poo.

Another crazy-powerful physical attack (the Killer abilities are great) and Catoblepas is down.

Our reward is slightly less underwhelming than last time we did this. Gil's not exciting, but it's better than a drat card.

Why did you buy it if you were going to sell it off so quickly!?

But honey, we might use it someday!

A couple new items here. First, the Rat Tail, another rare item we can get, and like the others, this one's also a nice callback reference.

The Rat Tail appears in FF1 as the item you need to retrieve in order for your party to class change into your upgraded jobs. It's also in FF4 and is traded for a chunk of metal that ends up becoming FF staple Excalibur. Here, Baku almost eats it.

You can sell it like the others.

Also, I mentioned these four jewels in the previous update, but we've got them all listed now.

The pendant and earring are old news, but might as well include them anyway.

Dark Matter only really does one thing: Teach Dagger the Odin summon. Kinda weird since she's gonna be a queen now and thus she's never rejoining the party, but I guess this game was kinda rushed near the end maybe?

Dark Matter is a neat little staple item in the series, starting with FF4 where you could steal it from the final boss for no reason (until the 3D remake made it the key to unlocking a super-boss). It also appears in FF5 (as a Mix component) and FF8 (teaches Quistis a powerful Blue Mage spell and can be refined to some awesome magic), as well as many games since. If used as an item, it deals 9999 damage. Which is neat, but you can only get three of them, and two are from this game's super-boss so, uh, good luck there.

...And that's life!

Pfft, only a 10k gil bounty on Amarant. That's chump change.

That can't be right, though. Why would a wanted man come back here?

Let's see, your treasure hunter rank is...

The game keeps track of all the items you find during the game. You get 2 points for every chest you dig up with Choco in the overworld and 1 point for basically everything else. If you hit Rank S, you get a special key item and get a nice cameo.

Dunno how good Rank E is for this part of the game, but I've gotten most of the treasure I could've gotten so far and we haven't even gotten started yet on Chocobo Hot & Cold, so I'm not worried.

Anyway, we're done with everything we can do in Treno that doesn't involve the terrible card game.

So let's leave Treno, because there's some stuff to do.

First, let's check in on Vivi.

OCEAN SOUNDS

Zidane... How did you find me?
What are you doing in a dump like this?
I... I used to live here.
Really? You used to live near Treno?
Yeah, with my grandpa.
So how did you end up living with your grandfather?
Well...

-----

As you might remember, Vivi's grandfather was a Qu.

Hungry...

Is no possible to prove theory of nourishment with no eating...

-----

Maybe I fell off a cargo ship...

-----

You no need be so afraid...

-----

I see...

So Vivi's grandfather raised him solely so he could later eat him.

Right...

So yeah, this gives us a nice small peek into Vivi's life before this game.

This came up when Dagger came here in Disc 2, but might as well show it off again.

On the way back, Zidane goes into Trance and I decide to show off Grand Lethal, his final Dyne attack.

Hello, sweet damage cap.

Transportation between Alexandria and Lindblum is more difficult now thanks to us. Oops.

Anyway, we can go back to Dali, and in fact there's stuff to do here that we can only do now, while the mayor is gone. Once the card tournament is over, our brief window is done as well.

Note the game never tells you this or even hints toward you taking a side-trip to Dali. It is very easy to miss this unless you know beforehand or really like to explore. Granted, what you miss isn't a big deal as far as gear or anything, but you can still miss a key item permanently.

I can still run around 'cause I don't have to help tend the farm!

I'd love to take my daughter on a trip with the money I saved, but...we have our store. We can't leave.

Nah I've got things to do.

Oh, I was only joking. I'm sorry.

She'd sarcastically thank you if you took her offer.

Gotta do this, of course.

Again, this evolves along with the game. Card strength is kinda meaningless with the wide range of randomness this game has.

Today is the last day of registration but we can nap for a few days and of course the tournament still waits for us.

Dammit.

Sigh... Chocobo hasn't got a care in the world. Mayor Kapu is our only hope now that the factory is gone. The mayor's brother? He became a useless drunk after the factory shut down. There's nothing to do...

The lack of Mist and the new leadership means no more Black Mage factory, which also means all the adults are out of a job. So we just ruined Dali's economy as well.

Oops.

He's a special case.

It's always like this! I missed out on a financial opportunity!

I'm so glad the Mist is gone, but I've lost all enthusiasm for work. We haven't even run the windmill in days.

This means we can finally get the treasures here. The other treasure is a Cachusa.

With the mayor gone for this brief time, we can loot his place.

Ladder and Shelf have nada.

Desk has this. Lovely.

Keep checking the desk until the boy falls asleep, then check the Heater.

Bingo.

Gogo is a secret character in FF5 and FF6, a playable character in the latter. In both, he's a famed mimic and in FF5 guards the Mime job. Makes since he'd make skilled replicas in FF9.

Anyway, we can use the key here to get the mayor's secret treasures.

30k gil is pretty drat good, even as rich as we are. Also I don't feel guilty stealing this guy's entire wealth since he's kind of a dick.

More importantly, there's coffee.

This is the third and last set of coffee needed for Morrid's sidequest. Since he's just a short walk away, let's check up on him!

Sure are!

Morrid is outside enjoying the sun. I'm worried about Morrid, because he seems so depressed once the cargo ship stopped coming.

Those are the legendary coffee beans I've been looking for!

Not like I'm gonna drink them. Well, I would but Zidane probably wouldn't, he's hyper enough whenever he sees someone with breasts.

-----

This is me drinking coffee.

I never imagined I'd get to drink all of the rare coffees of the world...

I am ready to join my dearly departed wife now.

-----

Our only reward is decoration for the Tantalus pad in Lindblum, and fulfilling the dying wishes of an old man.

Still not as nice a feeling in my heart as sending the mayor's family into crushing poverty though.

It sure is.

Next time, we learn about Amarant's backstory, Quina confronts the horrors of life, and we run into some more familiar faces. Also, loving Tetra Master. gently caress.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Squarely Circle posted:

Press X to eat pickles.

Holy crap, this is great. Adding this to the OP as well!

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Now that we've finally see the sequence of Vivi being fished out of the sky, here is my pet theory;

Vivi is a naturally occuring Black Mage, which happens when Mist and various other things mix together and sometimes just produces one.

this is the hill i will die on

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I hope Morrid drinking coffee is avatar material.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The dude's master is more than likely the head of one of the noble families in Treno, who is almost certainly named after a chess piece.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

drat, it's a good thing you had that key or you'd have had to jump a 4 foot tall wall.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

seems okay.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

ApplesandOranges posted:

When I am drinking coffee, I always say, “I am going to have another sip of that!” after every sip.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
The ATBs in Treno (all 20 of them or whatever) are split up by the tournament. I believe you skipped a Vivi ATB by not doing a round in the card tournament before going to pick him up in Quan's Dwelling.

It has a few neat things in it.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

:allears: Eiko

Say what you want about kid characters in videogames, they did a really good job capturing their brutal honesty here.

Eiko straight up walks to Dr. Tot and calls him a nerd

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Every moment of Vivi's life is suffering.

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...
thanks for getting me some coffee kiddo. i am now ready to die.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

considering Vivi's grandpa bothered to teach him anything at all, I always got the impression he initially took him in so he could eat him but grew attached and gave up on that plan.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Endorph posted:

considering Vivi's grandpa bothered to teach him anything at all, I always got the impression he initially took him in so he could eat him but grew attached and gave up on that plan.

We are talking about Qus. And this particular one decided to experiment if he could fish clouds to eat them. It is far more likely that he probably decided to experiment whether by lecturing your dinner on clasic literature he could create Int-boosting food for min-maxing, rendering level 1 runs pointless.

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Aug 31, 2016

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
He probably only gave up because Black Mages are all super gristly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.
Took me a while to find it, but I have an alternate version of that Beatrix/Steiner scene sitting in a folder on one of my drives. I kind of like the thought of it happening this way, too.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

• Locked thread