Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Fish Noise posted:

I await the appearance of a Lazygun.

312 Gravitas Refusal Engine Observes Humanity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
7 Juggernaut Star That Scours the Universe and Especially the Beggars Within It

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

7 Juggernaut Nova

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
7 Juggernaut Scar Scours the Universe, Concussed By Tableware

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Oxxidation posted:

:golfclap: This. This is good.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
I really hope Big Baby Hrotomos comes into the next Pursuers fight scene with a crate of teaware strapped to his back, and immediately throws it at White Chain's head and runs away on seeing an angel

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
7 Juggernaut Star: Sharper and Angrier

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Archenteron posted:

I really hope Big Baby Hrotomos comes into the next Pursuers fight scene with a crate of teaware strapped to his back, and immediately throws it at White Chain's head and runs away on seeing an angel

i am worried for hrotomos's survival in this current situation as it seems to be a sort of "you are huge and have huge guts" scenario

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

atomicthumbs posted:

i am worried for hrotomos's survival in this current situation as it seems to be a sort of "you are huge and have huge guts" scenario

Oh, like that would slow him down.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Quick show of hands, who's preordered the K6BD book?? Just so we can tell the Allisons from the Zaids :smugdog:

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

SexyBlindfold posted:

Quick show of hands, who's preordered the K6BD book?? Just so we can tell the Allisons from the Zaids :smugdog:

Does it count if I got my local store to stock it?

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Pre-order cancelled due to ABADDON killing my waifu. 0/10 poo poo comic

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Layla is dead, she's just stunned.

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

Oxxidation posted:

This is the best post in this thread to date. Please make this canon Abaddon :o

Lights fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Aug 30, 2016

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

SunAndSpring posted:

Pre-order cancelled due to ABADDON killing my waifu. 0/10 poo poo comic

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Rotten Cookies posted:

Somewhat related: My high school's fencing coach humbled an arrogant sabre fencer kid by beating him with a nail. That old man was so kick-rear end.

And that's exactly what I think with broken sword lady

Your high school had a fencing coach? Are you Richie Rich?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

DarkCrawler posted:

Your high school had a fencing coach? Are you Richie Rich?

He was a retired social studies teacher who did it for the love of the sport. Though I guess living on Long Island, most of the country would consider our sprawling suburb to be full of richie riches.

E: Is this just the stereotype of "fencing = rich?" because it doesn't have to be any more expensive than little league stuff. And that's if you wanna buy your own poo poo and not borrow the grody old "used-to-be-white" yellow loaner stuff the HS clubs would have.

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Aug 30, 2016

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Ok, but fencing is not an equipment-light sport. Did your coach just bring all his old gear? Did your school spring for that stuff? Were students supposed to pay for their own?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
The way the club I went to ran it, kids paid weekly subs (same as for every other extracurricular club) and got the equipment that was there, which like RC says usually consists of yellowed jackets and hopelessly kinked swords.

The rest of the cost was subsidised by pricier adult membership, and also the fact that the guy who ran it was the owner/head of a private school in the next town over and had the funds and desire to keep the club alive even though I'm pretty sure it was losing money.

Equipment isn't that much in any case, a more or less one off £200 investment for the basics. The real cost is renting a space to do it in, and paying outrageous insurance fees to the national governing body of the sport (who are very concerned that nobody besmirch the good name of fencing by getting injured without coverage, and incidentally are at a loss to explain why nobody wants to play their sport :rolleyes:)

e/ some uni buddies and I looked into setting up a private club by splitting the rent on a cheap disused warehouse or something, since we all had our own gear already and just wanted to fight each other. Turns out, yeah, nah, if you try that poo poo then British Fencing will come down on you like a ton of bricks. All clubs must be registered and pay their dues, and members of unregistered clubs may be barred from competition.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Aug 30, 2016

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
"hey kids, cmon down to this disused warehouse and lets practice stabbing each other"

e. altho, in fairness, Meti lived in a barrel, so maybe you were onto something

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

E: ^^ Unironically.

The equipment belonged to the school and was stored in a back closet in the corner of the gym. There were no membership fees for it. A lot of people did buy their own stuff, but it wasn't mandatory, and you could use the loaner stuff.

Some people who didn't continue on after high school would donate their stuff, or if they did continue on, donate their old, now yellowed equipment. I have to assume that's where most of the loaner stuff came from, since it always had someone's name sharpied on the neck/wrist. I came into the club like 4 years after it became a varsity team, so I was lucky that the club started getting a budget per year to spend on some equipment and maintenance.

Outside of high school, yeah, paying club dues and registering yearly for the international fencing whatever was too rich for my lovely college blood. And yes, you can go hogwild buying a $300 weapon, a $250 mask, super special snowflake shoes, etc. But, it doesn't have to be expensive.

E: Now hockey, that was/is expensive.

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Aug 31, 2016

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

A fencing club can hardly be more expensive than a well maintained grass field or the considerable equipment needed by a lot of sports. Hockey is definitely one, but football (especially in the south) as well.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
A full set of football pads + uniforms + footwear + helmet for a single person would pay for several people kitted out in quality new HEMA fencing gear. Fencing has a reputation of being a sport for rich people because of cultural reasons, the economics aren't prohibitive.

e: I mention HEMA fencing because it requires more robust/expensive gear than olympic disciplines. Of course, when you're buying gear for any sport, the sky is the limit on what you can spend.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I guess its just a difference in experience/perspective. The idea of spending $150 on kit for a high school sport seems crazy to me, and I can't see getting a mask+jacket+foil for less than that. :shrug:

My high school mainly played basketball, which didn't really require any equipment and competitions were played in a multiuse gym/auditorium/hall, and soccer (shoes/cleats and guards if you weren't feeling reckless), which was just played on a big patch of undeveloped land the school owned.

I guess I had better hope my kids don't want to get into football or hockey (I assume ice hockey?) or I'll get another chance to disappoint them. What do people pay for football gear?

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

I'm moving countries and having to leave 90% of my HEMA kit behind. Rebuying all that poo poo if I ever want to seriously train or compete again is going to suck so hard. Ballpark, 150 bucks per body part you want to keep safe when fighting with steels, plus a 200-300 buck weapon, possibly multiple depending on what you do exactly.

There's cheaper alternatives (nylon swords, leather gloves etc.) but many clubs have been moving away from them for good reason. I have no idea how much football kit costs, but HEMA is very much not a wallet friendly sport.

Rhaka fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Aug 31, 2016

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Dunno about football. I have to imagine it's less than hockey. I know for ice hockey you can expect to spend a couple hundred. WAAAY the gently caress more if you're a goalie. But the biggest cost of ice hockey is ice time. That varies a lot from region to region, but either way it's no fun getting up for a 3 am practice. Could be a couple hundred per hour of practice.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

I don't know about football, but hockey is around 500-1500 depending on quality of equipment and whether you bought it used or not. Goalies are probably around 750-2000.

Being conservative, high quality equipment is obviously more:

Skates are 80-100+
Shin guards are 50-100
Pants are 100-150
Jock is 20-50
Shoulderguard/breastplate is 100-150
Elbow pads are 20-40
Gloves are 30-50
Neck guard is about 20
Helmet is 80-100
Stick is 50-1000

At high school level play you can go through a stick every few games if your stick is carbon fibre. Wooden sticks break less, are less expensive, but don't shoot as fast.

Goalies are about 1.5 times that minimum.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Aug 31, 2016

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Ashcans posted:

The idea of spending $150 on kit for a high school sport seems crazy to me
I've got some bad news for you

(Also I can't get over the fact that a dude with a warhammer avatar is worried about spending too much on a hobby.)

edit:

berenzen posted:

I don't know about football, but hockey is around 500-1500 depending on quality of equipment and whether you bought it used or not. Goalies are probably around 750-2000.

Skates are 80-100+
Stick is 50-1000
Only $100+ for skates but up to $1000 for a stick? Where are you buying your sticks? Unless you're talking about a kid who breaks a $250 composite literally the day after its warranty ends and you're not using your credit card's extended warranty, you'll be hard-pressed to break $1000.

Meanwhile, decent senior skates start around $200 on sale and skyrocket from there.

hey girl you up fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Aug 31, 2016

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 377 days!
http://killsixbilliondemons.com/comic/wielder-of-names-6-111/

RIP

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Holy poo poo.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
When confronted with a real fight, I didn't expect 6 Juggs to just split like that.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Well, I think 7 juggernaut star scours the heavens, cleaved by might. Is gonna be real pissed in a hundred years.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
The wheel remains unhurt.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The sanctioned action is to Cut.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=571BuZeeQjE

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Roland Jones posted:

The sanctioned action is to Cut.
Auntie Maya is the worst swordsman.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

PFlats posted:

Only $100+ for skates but up to $1000 for a stick? Where are you buying your sticks? Unless you're talking about a kid who breaks a $250 composite literally the day after its warranty ends and you're not using your credit card's extended warranty, you'll be hard-pressed to break $1000.

Meanwhile, decent senior skates start around $200 on sale and skyrocket from there.

I was being facetious about the stick, but some of the 'collectors edition Sidney Crosby' sticks start getting up there in price.

Been a while since I bought skates, but you can find hand-me-down skates for pretty cheap. Brand new skates do get up there in price though.

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
Huh. I wonder what they thought of death. I know juggs is fine in the void. I want to see that thorn knight's pointy ghost pout.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Told ya that was one hell of an iceberg!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Mr. Lobe posted:

Told ya that was one hell of an iceberg!

Well a juggernaut could be described as titanic couldn't it?