Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Sneeze Party posted:

I've never seen such an underwhelmed response in this thread to a major Canon release.

Quoting myself from above.

alkanphel posted:

Those are some of the most boring specs leaks ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
It should be the 5D Mark 3.5

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

5D Mark $3.5k

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
The only thing I'm excited about is the price drop in used 5d3 bodies. I don't really feel that the 5d4 is nearly as groundbreaking as the previous generations and the value of a $1500 5d3 is pretty insane.

And I'm still debating switching to a Sony a7 anyway.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I guess the anticipation now is that they announce a new 7d next year and it's actually a cool upgrade.

Though it'll probably be another ".5" given Canon is iterating faster than they used to.

Just depends what they put in that .5.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

xzzy posted:

I guess the anticipation now is that they announce a new 7d next year and it's actually a cool upgrade.

Though it'll probably be another ".5" given Canon is iterating faster than they used to.

Just depends what they put in that .5.

+2 Megapixels and reordered WB/AF/ISO buttons to match the 5d4

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Bubbacub posted:

reordered WB/AF/ISO buttons to match the 5d4

that was a stupid thing canon did, even during the 5d2 - 5d3 step

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

So how compatible are canon lenses on sony bodies with adapters? I have a lot of canon glass available to me.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

KinkyJohn posted:

So how compatible are canon lenses on sony bodies with adapters? I have a lot of canon glass available to me.

Pretty goddamn compatible. A lot of these adapters (at least metabones) have compatibility lists which usually are quite accurate. Only issue I see people talking about is AF speed, which is to be expected.

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

Compare to something like the 5D3, AF on the A7R II with metabones iv seem to be as fast or faster and more accurate with the latest body/adapter firmware nowadays.
Especially with Eye AF which is amazing and a godsend when you are shooting people using the 35 1.4 II or 85 1.2 II wide open, as it will literally try to keep the eye in focus.

I'd probably get the 5D4 and sell the 5D3 due to the dynamic range improvement, or just roll with 3 cameras and save the trouble of having to swap lenses :v:

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Has said dynamic range improvement been quantified? I know the 5D3 had better DR than the D800 beyond 3200 ISO but fell behind fast once you got better light and lowered the ISO.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Seamonster posted:

Has said dynamic range improvement been quantified? I know the 5D3 had better DR than the D800 beyond 3200 ISO but fell behind fast once you got better light and lowered the ISO.

It's likely around the same improvement as the 1DX2 which has been. If that is the case you are looking at, depending on which source you use

Bill Claff:
D810: 11.5@100
A7R2: 11.3@100
1DX2: 10.3@100

or DXO if you prefer
D810: 14.3 @100
A7R2: 13.9@100
1DX2: 13.5@100

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
DPReview on DR:
https://m.dpreview.com/news/3229755227/canon-5d-mark-iv-brings-dramatic-dynamic-range-improvements-to-the-5d-line

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I went ahead and ordered a 5d4. I already have some Canon glass and wanted to make the jump to full frame without having to worry about adapter compatibility.

Am I wrong in thinking that the Canon cameras feel a bit more solid than the Sony ones? I've only messed with the a7rii in the store.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

akadajet posted:

Am I wrong in thinking that the Canon cameras feel a bit more solid than the Sony ones? I've only messed with the a7rii in the store.

Not at all. Ergonomics and build is one of the reasons I switched back to Canon from an A7rii (not the only reason, but one of them).

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Don't forget us dumbasses dropping our cameras all over the place too. Pro DSLRs man, they're built like (and weigh as much as) a tank for good reasons.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

That is honestly one reason I went with a (used) 20D over a Rebel. Yeah it's old as poo poo and probably isn't as sturdy as some of the fancier models, but there is no way I'm not going to drop a camera at some point. Especially if I've clamped on a big ol' lens and holding the whole thing up to my face hand-held. Hasn't happened yet though, thankfully ;)

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Seamonster posted:

Don't forget us dumbasses dropping our cameras all over the place too. Pro DSLRs man, they're built like (and weigh as much as) a tank for good reasons.

Yeah, lenses too

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
you dudes dont use the neck strap? I wrap it round my wrist if I cant have it on my neck for whatever reason

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Straps are for people who drop cameras

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I like my 30D because it weighs so much I can use it as a murder weapon if need be.

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?
I'm looking at maybe getting a G5X, and I am hoping someone here may answer a few questions.

First off, I had a play around with a Panasonic LX100 in a store, and the lack of tilting screen and general size put me off.

I also had a play around with a G7X, and liked the size a lot more.

Now, the G5X is kind of in between those two, size wise and has a fully articulating screen which is nice. I'd really like a viewfinder as well, so that seems to put the G5X right at what I'm looking for.

All the reviews say that RAW performance is abysmally slow though, so I'm wondering if any of you have tried shooting with it (or first generation G7X), and if it's something that really hinders it.
Also if anyone had any general thoughts on the camera.

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

HookShot posted:

I like my 30D because it weighs so much I can use it as a murder weapon if need be.

Same but with the 1 series for self defense and then use the same camera to take a photo of the body after.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Looks like the Mk3 could drop to under $1k used once the new one hits the streets which makes it quite tempting, as this is almost down to what I paid for my 550D kit years ago. Though I'd need to buy full-frame lenses... Anyway, even though I have no way to justify getting a Mk4, I still can't help but feel disappointed. It's a huge step forward in many areas including DR but somehow still misses the mark compared to a lot of the competition.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
I can't say I'm that surprised. You come real close to cannibalizing the 1dxii if you push the frame rate any higher, and you undermine the huge dedicated Canon video line if you give it better video.

The main 5D line is in a great jack of all trades role. It does a lot of things really well, but I don't think it's the best available at any one of those things.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Can someone articulate why exactly the 5D4 is, beyond simply being an underwhelming iterative update, actually a disappointing failure of a camera? My conception of why Canon plays second fiddle to Nikon in the consumer world of spec masturbation really comes down to shadow noise at base iso, and high ISO performance, both of which Canon have apparantly corrected here. All the other stuff like extreme iso expansion and advanced AF modes are, while still fodder for online dick-measuring, really the purview of photojournalism professionals , and Canon still dominates in that segment thanks to its products' perceived reliability, and manufacturer support services.

I mean, yeah, if I could start again with no collected camera gear, I would go with Nikon, but that's because the fantastic and reasonably priced 200-500mm lens that they recently came out with would be the best value tool for what I want to do. What camera body does nikon have these days that fits into the same market segment as the 5D4? D750? D810? Are those really that much better? That's a real question.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Part of it is the feeling that they've sat still in a lot of areas where they really shouldn't have for reasons decided by accountants. For example when the 5DII came on the scene, people forgave it's rudimentary video controls because it gave access to a video quality never before affordable. Eight years later and they're still peddling that same underwhelming user experience. The things that would improve this (focus peaking and what not) are not things that are expensive to implement or come with downsides. Likewise, while their competitors come up with novel ideas like Live Bulb or ways to fit cameras in to the connected digital world, it feels like Canon begrudge having to move beyond Select Aperture-ShuterSpeed-ISO, Shoot, Remove Memory Card, Download.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Pablo Bluth posted:

Part of it is the feeling that they've sat still in a lot of areas where they really shouldn't have for reasons decided by accountants. For example when the 5DII came on the scene, people forgave it's rudimentary video controls because it gave access to a video quality never before affordable. Eight years later and they're still peddling that same underwhelming user experience. The things that would improve this (focus peaking and what not) are not things that are expensive to implement or come with downsides. Likewise, while their competitors come up with novel ideas like Live Bulb or ways to fit cameras in to the connected digital world, it feels like Canon begrudge having to move beyond Select Aperture-ShuterSpeed-ISO, Shoot, Remove Memory Card, Download.

Which they intentionally won't improve because they want to sell more of their video cameras, like the C300 and XC10. Though most of the video shooters I know have switched to Panasonic or Sony.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Is there any reason to not get the canon 40mm?

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Apparently the reason Canon is using for there not being 4k HDMI out is that the engineers didn't have access to a newer HDMI processing chip. That's definitely BS right?

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Is there any reason to not get the canon 40mm?

you hate small fairly sharp lenses?

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Thoogsby posted:

Apparently the reason Canon is using for there not being 4k HDMI out is that the engineers didn't have access to a newer HDMI processing chip. That's definitely BS right?

I assume that's CorpSpeak for "we decided the licencing costs vs. demand made it unprofitable to include it".

In other words the engineers didn't have access to a newer HDMI processing chip because canon didn't pay for it.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Can someone articulate why exactly the 5D4 is, beyond simply being an underwhelming iterative update, actually a disappointing failure of a camera?

I didn't want to reply to this as you posted it when I was debating selling my Canon gear which I have since done. So now I've calmed down a bit and this is my answer.

It's a great general purpose camera that can be used as well as ten other cameras, including its predecessor, with no one magic bullet distinguishing element except maybe improved IQ in extremes, but if that's all you care about you can use plenty of other cameras. Many much smaller cameras are rapidly exceeding needs for most photographers.

The real problem Canon and Nikon have is DSLRs are just not fun to use, require too much effort to use well, automate passable results (which disincentivizes growth), and are now only incrementality better at extremes from other cameras in practically every way.

The few pros, as a package, are still necessary for a large population of commerical photographers at the grind every day (or every weekend), but in my case I got out of that and have been struggling to find purpose in a DSLR. And nothing about the 5D4 screamed "buy me", even with a sea of glass in mount.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
New 70-300mm has an LCD screen. I guess we'll see how close it gets to the L version.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no
To this day the 7dII seems like a really good best of all worlds camera right now. It is fast enough that I can use it for airshows (I am going to buy a 120-400 sigma because its half as cheap as even the old 100-400 and when I rented the 100-400 I liked it but since I only go to 3-4 air shows a year I can't justify it like I can the 50-100 (and I got a 50 1.4 from some old guy dirt cheap). and with the crop you get a lot out of the native canon glass. I mean honestly besides 4K it doesn't seem like much of a reason to ever go for the 5d4 for a few years if ever if Sigma et all keep releasing amazing crop only lenses (I still love how Sigma/Tamron are giving the crop bodies more love than Canon!)

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I'm not sure, but I think the sigma 120-400 might be a piece of poo poo lens. The 170-500 definitely was.

Maybe if you're trying to hang out in the low end of the super tele market you should look for primes at least.

I bought the 400L, the 'budget' Canon grey telephoto lens and the image quality is very nice. You could probably find one for $700-800 with a little luck, and the used market is probably pretty good because it's a tank of a lens. Very durable.

Fake edit: the sigma 120-400 might not be the absolute dog that the 170-500 was, but it definitely could be. The review I skimmed said that sharpness falls off dramatically as you zoom past 150mm. That's typical of cheaper tele zoom lenses. There are also the issues of focus inaccuracy and optical decentering, which are always going to be more pronounced on a zoom as opposed to a prime, but cheaper and older zooms tend to have it the worst, especially on the used market.

But hey, with the sigma you get stabilization. That's one thing I really miss on the 400.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
The DPReview 5D mk IV review is up.

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-5d-mark-iv

Nothing too surprising anywhere.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Yo adobe upgrade camera raw so I can stop having to use DPP.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

akadajet posted:

Yo adobe upgrade camera raw so I can stop having to use DPP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

windex posted:

And nothing about the 5D4 screamed "buy me", even with a sea of glass in mount.

Whoops, did I make a mistake?