Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HeartPlug
Aug 22, 2016

Sand will cover this place
Sand will cover you
I get why Archer's trying to save the guy's life but Travis has a point. I don't think they have jurisdiction over the freighter people. What bugs me is that the scene's kind of treated like Picard giving an uplifting pep-talk to Wesley and the audience is supposed to be awed by Picard, but in this case Picard was only half paying attention to what Wesley was saying and kind of missed the point.

With Bakula's charm and good looks though it comes off as him trying to get Travis out of his cabin so he can go back to whatever it was he was doing. Like he was charismatic but in a way that was condescending when you stop and think about it.

HeartPlug fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Aug 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
The morality play on ENT was the most horrendous of the series. Climaxed in the genocide episode with Phlox telling Archer to let a whole race of people die because "evolution says so!" Archer was always right, even when he was wrong, ESPECIALLY when he was wrong! It was kind a like Janeway (the only WAY!) but even Chakoti/Seven would occasionally call her out.

The worst part is it is always dressed up like the end of a 90's TGIF sitcom. Little Danny Archer kneels down and reminds everyone that the dog alien was sick and needed to be put down, but it's really all for the best and didn't we learn a valuable lesson on friendship? And maybe in the future it will be better ... * hugs * free-frame * roll credits*

Burning_Monk fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Aug 30, 2016

naem
May 29, 2011

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Sunswipe posted:

Enterprise was awful. Why does that keep coming as a surprise to people?

Enterprise was g- Enterprise was g-g-oo-g-oo- Enterprise had it's moments.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Enterprise's redemption lies in the decontamination room.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Burning_Monk posted:

The morality play on ENT was the most horrendous of the series. Climaxed in the genocide episode with Phlox telling Archer to let a whole race of people die because "evolution says so!" Archer was always right, even when he was wrong, ESPECIALLY when he was wrong! It was kind a like Janeway (the only WAY!) but even Chakoti/Seven would occasionally call her out.

The worst part is it is always dressed up like the end of a 90's TGIF sitcom. Little Danny Archer kneels down and reminds everyone that the dog alien was sick and needed to be put down, but it's really all for the best and didn't we learn a valuable lesson on friendship? And maybe in the future it will be better ... * hugs * free-frame * roll credits*

Sorry to tell you this but

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

It's the 26th century and the federation is fleet is being pushed back by the sphere builders. Suddenly an armada of Menk ships comes out of warp, "I'm sure glad someone allowed them to develop naturally as a species."

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

How can anyone not love Sisko? :confused:

He's unironically the best Captain.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Apollodorus posted:

yes, because that is exploration that awaits us

not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of racist shitposting

"Stardate 43375.7: We have arrived in orbit over what we believed to be a newly-discovered world, only to discover the words "first, lol" crudely carved across the southern continent in Klingon writing by disruptor fire. We have responded by phasering "Your cowardly mothers suck Cardie cocks" in Klingon across the orbiting moon, so the colonists are forced to look up and see it every night. We anticipate all-out war in six months, lol".

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

HeartPlug posted:

I get why Archer's trying to save the guy's life but Travis has a point. I don't think they have jurisdiction over the freighter people. What bugs me is that the scene's kind of treated like Picard giving an uplifting pep-talk to Wesley and the audience is supposed to be awed by Picard, but in this case Picard was only half paying attention to what Wesley was saying and kind of missed the point.

With Bakula's charm and good looks though it comes off as him trying to get Travis out of his cabin so he can go back to whatever it was he was doing. Like he was charismatic but in a way that was condescending when you stop and think about it.

I thoguht they were under earth's jurisdiction? either way though, he's trying to save their lives, since he knows the Nausicaans would blow their freighter out of the water

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Part of what makes Enterprise so frustrating is after coming off all the other series, in order to showcase that this is humanity's first time sort of stumbling around the neighbourhood the NX-01 crew is made to appear irritatingly incompetent for much of the series

Like that one early on where the solution is literally just "call the Vulcans who are nearby for help" and they keep loving up until they drop a loving shuttlepod with two people with it into a crack on an comet or poo poo. Like hey, this embarrassing situation that nearly got two of your guys killed could have been easily avoided if you had just not chosen to behave like loving children

but that poo poo is literally the main gimmick for at least two seasons and it gets old quick

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

Tighclops posted:

Part of what makes Enterprise so frustrating is after coming off all the other series, in order to showcase that this is humanity's first time sort of stumbling around the neighbourhood the NX-01 crew is made to appear irritatingly incompetent for much of the series

Like that one early on where the solution is literally just "call the Vulcans who are nearby for help" and they keep loving up until they drop a loving shuttlepod with two people with it into a crack on an comet or poo poo. Like hey, this embarrassing situation that nearly got two of your guys killed could have been easily avoided if you had just not chosen to behave like loving children

but that poo poo is literally the main gimmick for at least two seasons and it gets old quick

yeah it was really frustrating because the whole "humanity's rocky start at this whole space faring thing" is a great concept and they never did it right. i rewatched the first episode recently right after having electroconvulsive treatment because I wasn't thinking very clearly and within the first ten minutes I was actually angry over archer being such a miserable little brat. there had to be a better way to show humanity's growing pains without having the humans act like obnoxious children.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Everything from Profit and Loss onwards to season 2's finale is so drat good. Old school Klingons having a happy vengeance adventure, Maquis, lesbian dominatrix mirror Kira, a Garak story, more Bajoran war criminals and Jem'Hadar.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
DS9 is great but man it's kind of hard to just pick up a random episode when you're bored, especially later on

Triggered
Aug 21, 2016

Learn about this great man on mormon.org

Big Mean Jerk posted:

How can anyone not love Sisko? :confused:

He's unironically the best Captain.

Sisko was ruined by Brooks performance, I dont blame him though because he is fine in other stuff so must have been the directors.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Triggered posted:

Sisko was ruined by Brooks performance, I dont blame him though because he is fine in other stuff so must have been the directors.

Brooks's performance is what make Sisko so loving awesome. He's so over the top but ever so watchable regardless.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Dukat and Sisko both need to act out the Orson Welles commercials.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm trying to wrap my head around why so many Trekkies hate Avery Brooks's performance as Sisko. He's full on theater acting, rather than television acting. But then, Shatner and Stewart were also doing Shakespearean overacting in their shows as well. I never understand the refusal to accept change because DS9 tried to do things differently.

I hate Shatner's acting, Mulgrew's acting, and Brooks' acting. I don't understand how you can say that Stewart was doing "Shakespearean overacting" unless you're referring to the times when Picard was reading poetry or whatever. He is capable of subtlety and convincing you that you are watching a Starfleet Captain. The others never stop being obviously (bad) actors.

DS9 is still the second best Star Trek though.

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.
The word I would use to describe Avery Brooks' acting is "bombastic"

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
TOS is the worst offender though and I can't watch it because of that. It seems that at some point in the 70s or 80s, someone realized "holy poo poo, maybe it would help our audience's suspension of disbelief if the people on the screen behaved like people", and TV and movies suddenly got a ton better.

It's like how at some point painters realized "wait, maybe we should make the people in our paintings look like actual people and not merely representations"

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I've never seen so many wrong opinions on one page before. Jesus christ, you people :gonk:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I mean goddamn how can one post showcase that much ignorance about television and art?

If anything, network tv acting has gotten worse since the 80's. And before someone mentions them, shows like Sopranos or Breaking Bad are exceptions to the rule. Just look at literally any show on ABC or CBS.

Triggered
Aug 21, 2016

Learn about this great man on mormon.org

treiz01 posted:

The word I would use to describe Avery Brooks' acting is "bombastic"

I would use the word poo poo, cos it was poo poo.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I mean goddamn how can one post showcase that much ignorance about television and art?

If anything, network tv acting has gotten worse since the 80's. And before someone mentions them, shows like Sopranos or Breaking Bad are exceptions to the rule. Just look at literally any show on ABC or CBS.
Textbook strawman. You couldn't refute the claim that back in the day nobody on TV or movies acted like real people, so you chose to refute the fabricated claim "big bang theory is good" instead.

AugmentedVision fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Aug 31, 2016

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
real people are unpalatable assholes anyway

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Tighclops posted:

Gatekeeper posted:

yeah it was really frustrating because the whole "humanity's rocky start at this whole space faring thing" is a great concept and they never did it right. i rewatched the first episode recently right after having electroconvulsive treatment because I wasn't thinking very clearly and within the first ten minutes I was actually angry over archer being such a miserable little brat. there had to be a better way to show humanity's growing pains without having the humans act like obnoxious children.

They didn't handle it in the right way but it made sense. The Vulcans held back humanity for 100 years because they are douches and even after we get ships (that are much less advanced and slower than theirs because they won't share technology) they are complete condescending dicks that have to be involved at every stage, in every decision.

Archer was characterized as barely saving the Warp 5 engine after the Vulcans completely poo poo all over it after a failed test and wanted humanity to wait another 20-30 years to even get started and the captain of the first Warp 5 ship that constantly has Vulcans following him around space and being jerks at every available opportunity. It was a big deal that Cochrane and his father were both dead and it took more than a lifetime for them to even get a working engine into space because some monotone jerks were constantly hovering around talking about how incompetent humanity is.

The point of that episode was him trying to prove humanity can handle things without the Vulcans (specifically because they are uninvited and are just following around Enterprise and babysitting it which is why they were nearby in the first place) but in the end he relented and let them help

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Tighclops posted:

My biggest problem with Enterprise is that they decided to go back to the TOS formula of "three main characters and then a few minor ones." This would have been fine except the three characters they wrote didn't really play well off of each other, and the minor characters were so one-dimensional that they may as well have used extras in those positions.

I think it was Gene Coon who was talking about the Kirk/Spock/McCoy dynamic and how he came up with it. He said that he wrote them as if they were a single character. Spock was the brains, McCoy was the heart, and Kirk was the measured response. You don't have that at all in Enterprise. You have the dick, the dick's friend, and the bitchy outsider.

Hail Mr. Satan! fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Aug 31, 2016

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I've never seen so many wrong opinions on one page before. Jesus christ, you people :gonk:

Page 212 is our Wolf 359

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

shadow puppet of a posted:

Page 212 is our Wolf 359

I am ShitPostus of poo poo. Good Opinions are futile. This thread as it has been is over, it will service the gas chamber

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I started watching the first season of the first Star Trek ironically, but it's actually good? It's like The Twilight Zone. The part where shirtless Sulu is going crazy with a sword and grabs Uhura and says "I shall protect you, fair maiden!" and Uhura says, "sorry, neither" is my favorite dialogue in television ever.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Guy Goodbody posted:

I started watching the first season of the first Star Trek ironically, but it's actually good? It's like The Twilight Zone. The part where shirtless Sulu is going crazy with a sword and grabs Uhura and says "I shall protect you, fair maiden!" and Uhura says, "sorry, neither" is my favorite dialogue in television ever.

I'm loving it too

EXT. DESERT PLANET - DAY

Sulu is holding a space-dog and is staring into the distance wondering what his life could have been like had he never joined Starfleet.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

MrSlam posted:

I'm loving it too

EXT. DESERT PLANET - DAY

Sulu is holding a space-dog and is staring into the distance wondering what his life could have been like had he never joined Starfleet.

Is that the same look you get when wondering what life could have been like if you hadn't started watching Star Trek?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Later on it's "Captain, we're turning into frosticles here. Can't you just beam us up and keep our evil halves in the brig until you figure this out?"

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Guy Goodbody posted:

I think Voyager and Enterprise make it easy to forget that Star Trek was once unironically good television.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Sunswipe posted:

I think Voyager and Enterprise make it easy to forget that Star Trek was once unironically good television.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sunswipe posted:

I think I only watched one episode of Enterprise, and all I remember is that the guy got butt pregnant from an alien and started growing nipples all over his body and got all safety-conscious and crazy because being pregnant made him like a woman.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Apollodorus posted:

yes, because that is exploration that awaits us

not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of racist shitposting

Welp, I'm down

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

I think I only watched one episode of Enterprise, and all I remember is that the guy got butt pregnant from an alien and started growing nipples all over his body and got all safety-conscious and crazy because being pregnant made him like a woman.

That was an exceptionally hosed up episode. It's like a human saying "uh, this is how we say hello" and jamming their dick into a random alien orifice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

AugmentedVision posted:

Textbook strawman. You couldn't refute the claim that back in the day nobody on TV or movies acted like real people, so you chose to refute the fabricated claim "big bang theory is good" instead.

lmao

"nobody acted like real people back then"

"i disagree, i think if anything it's worse now"

"oh look, the ol' Bing bong strawman :smugmrgw:"