Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Collateral Damage posted:

It's always funny when you spec out servers and people want to cut corners on $10,000 worth of hardware that you're going to put $120,000 worth of software on.

huh, here it usually is the other way around. Hardware gets overspecced, software is nickel-and-dimed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Collateral Damage posted:

It's always funny when you spec out servers and people want to cut corners on $10,000 worth of hardware that you're going to put $120,000 worth of software on.

We get this a lot. Customer purchases 3 million dollars worth of hardware and then starts nit picking about adding on an extra week or two of services to make sure it's deployed properly.

e: The entire IT industry is full of people cutting corners in stupid places. "THIS WEBSITE IS MISSION CRITICAL!!!" *is connected to an 8 port, 100m, 10 year old Netgear switch in a hot room*

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

psydude posted:

e: The entire IT industry is full of people cutting corners in stupid places. "THIS WEBSITE IS MISSION CRITICAL!!!" *is connected to an 8 port, 100m, 10 year old Netgear switch in a hot room*

I see it most often with storage, for some reason. I guess because there's the biggest cost, performance, and reliability difference between consumer and production quality gear. Storage brings the "uh bro, I can get a 2TB drive from Best Buy for like $70. You think I'm gonna let you scam me with this $400 1TB disk? :smug:" brigade out every time. Even among sysadmins and others who should know better.

"This database is MISSION CRITICAL! It must process 9198273817238123 transactions per second and never, ever go down!" *spends $500k on CPU and memory, fills it with fell-off-the-truck brand X consumer SSD's from Chinese eBay sellers*

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

From working at the VAR/MSP at my last job - how clients are charged makes a huge impact.

The IBM Blade Center upgrade take 32 hours at $160/h for a total of $5,120? Expect the client to be outraged the moment they see the bill but if they're charged for the same amount with no hours listed simple under "IBM Blade Center Upgrade" nobody complains.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Tab8715 posted:

From working at the VAR/MSP at my last job - how clients are charged makes a huge impact.

The IBM Blade Center upgrade take 32 hours at $160/h for a total of $5,120? Expect the client to be outraged the moment they see the bill but if they're charged for the same amount with no hours listed simple under "IBM Blade Center Upgrade" nobody complains.

Right. We have a new ASA going in starting tomorrow and we told the VAR to just give us a project cost - hardware + services. Don't care to see the hours, just get it done.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
For small stuff we usually do fixed price so the client doesn't complain. For the big stuff we have hours broken down but usually fluff the hours so when they ultimately complain we can drop the total hours of Professional Services and still come out ahead.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Microsoft licensing is absolutely bullshit, and the whole VM trojan horse with 2016 licensing to jack the pricing up and increase the complexity is CLEARLY a giant cash grab.

I agree that they should either create a VM Host edition of Windows Server or license out the role as a separate line item.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
but but, they're doing this for the CONSUMER to make it EASIER to understand and bring their pricing in line with Azure.

no, really that's actually their justification :ssh:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Sepist posted:

For small stuff we usually do fixed price so the client doesn't complain. For the big stuff we have hours broken down but usually fluff the hours so when they ultimately complain we can drop the total hours of Professional Services and still come out ahead.

We can do fixed price service credits for really small projects, or T&M. For bigger stuff we always do FFP broken down by billing milestone and labor category because it's usually required by the government. Commercial customers typically aren't as strict, although publicly traded companies often are.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

SeaborneClink posted:

but but, they're doing this for the CONSUMER to make it EASIER to understand and bring their pricing in line with Azure.

no, really that's actually their justification :ssh:

Oh, ok.

Per-core/socket licensing for server makes zero sense to me, maybe someone can explain. A server instance is a server instance. The scale of what it covers raises or lowers the price based on CAL cost. It seems like it would be a lot easier that way.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Microsoft Licensing has gotten less complex the last 10 years or so in my experience. Granted I work for a giant org that has no problem paying millions on our EA, but we're down to like 2 main line items on our EA, the EA in 2009 was like 7 pages of SKU's and bullshit.

Right now we license each user with the Enterprise Cloud Suite and servers with CIS Datacenter licenses. Those 2 items include almost all the CAL's and other bullshit we need (except SQL). The only thing that is going to be a pain is most of our UCS blades are dual 10 core boxes, so we'll need 20 core licenses instead of 16 for each blade. Looks like SA is going to grant us the extra core licenses, but we'll have to pay extra SA on the cores. We'll let the Microsoft guys figure that part out.

AlternateAccount posted:

I agree that they should either create a VM Host edition of Windows Server or license out the role as a separate line item.

They have this. It's called Hyper-V Server, it's a standalone server that just has the hypervisor bits for the most part.

https://technet.microsoft.com/library/hh833684.aspx

Looks like this, pretty much Windows version of ESXi I guess

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

CloFan posted:

Goddamn am I glad to be in academia after this topic. When we need more activations we literally call them up and as long as the MAK hasn't gone public, they just tack on an extra 500. Not to mention the ~15,000 user O365 deployment for $peanuts

:eng101::hf::eng101:

We don't even count SQL licenses under our volume agreement and everyone is activated through KMS so no MAK's to deal with either. Spin up SCCM or SCOM? Go for it. New DPM server? Get on in there!

Of course there's other bullshit in to deal with in academia but at least its not MS licensing related.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

For those who suffer from heightened buzzword intolerance, if you distilled the opening day general session talks at VMWorld into a wordcloud it would just be the word CLOUD.

sphixcanada
Dec 16, 2012

Alfajor posted:

On the road to replace TrendMicro with Cylance. Their PoC hasn't detected anything crazy that is making us convert on the spot, but the nice dashboard, ease of deployment and configuration is already sealing the deal for us. Plus, it's the hot poo poo at the moment, so that's cool too.

Alfajor. I just posted a new thread about Dell ESSE (aka Cylance) how did you make out with them? How do they size up to KAV and Sophos ect?

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
Microsoft Licensing talk;

We're a small company, ~350 people, ~100 servers, all windows running on VMware. To re-do our EA this year took a team of 4 people from our VAR and 2 people from our organization almost a full week to get it right.

its still wrong.

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop
hahahaha yesssss. CIO finally hired a consultant to come review the new network and security plan my team (security/netops) have been decrying for like 8 months because it was designed by someone in devops but CIO takes his word as god's for some reason. Watching the emotions on this guys face when I described the various dumb ideas was amazing. I know in the end our CIO will probably go with the golden boy devop poo poo plan but hearing someone else go "you arent crazy, this is a lovely setup" is so vindicating. Just gotta survive 6 months to a year, purely for profit sharing purposes while I use the company budget to get some better certs, and its eject find a new job time.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
What's the point of having a network security team that doesn't have full ownership of the security architecture? Your CIO is an assclown.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Well, the fact that there is a "devops guy" and a network operations team, and they apparently work completely separately is a good indicator that the company probably doesn't get devops.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

NippleFloss posted:

For those who suffer from heightened buzzword intolerance, if you distilled the opening day general session talks at VMWorld into a wordcloud it would just be the word CLOUD.

I signed up for the iot session lead by a person with a marketing title and it was glorious. Not a single thing of substance was said for over 30 minutes.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Nuclearmonkee posted:

I signed up for the iot session lead by a person with a marketing title and it was glorious. Not a single thing of substance was said for over 30 minutes.

Did you secretly attach a speech uh changing device, so anytime he said the word could it turned into butt? That would probably make everything more exciting.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

hahahaha yesssss. CIO finally hired a consultant to come review the new network and security plan my team (security/netops) have been decrying for like 8 months because it was designed by someone in devops but CIO takes his word as god's for some reason. Watching the emotions on this guys face when I described the various dumb ideas was amazing. I know in the end our CIO will probably go with the golden boy devop poo poo plan but hearing someone else go "you arent crazy, this is a lovely setup" is so vindicating. Just gotta survive 6 months to a year, purely for profit sharing purposes while I use the company budget to get some better certs, and its eject find a new job time.

The best part about these types of engagements is coming in and ruining that guy's world. The worst part about these types of engagements is that I usually then get brought in on a second project to work with that same guy to un gently caress his poo poo.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

NippleFloss posted:

Well, the fact that there is a "devops guy" and a network operations team, and they apparently work completely separately is a good indicator that the company probably doesn't get devops.
they can coexist. Not every company has a single focus, even if they develop a public facing application. If chase used devops for their online banking they aren't going to give that team control of the branches or even the core network.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

psydude posted:

The best part about these types of engagements is coming in and ruining that guy's world. The worst part about these types of engagements is that I usually then get brought in on a second project to work with that same guy to un gently caress his poo poo.

I, too, have come into situations where I was told to evaluate an idea that was pants-on-head retarded. It's always fun to see which executives get angry when I come back and go "Yeah, this idea is so much poo poo that my recommendation is to turn this company into a pig farm so it at least fits in."

I never throw the author under the bus, though. Too often the second part comes true and then have to awkwardly tell the guy why you told the Executive Committee that he couldn't find his rear end with both hands and a GPS receiver. :smith:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Man, I am such a slut for a free lunch. I love attending seminars and vendor events and presentations if I get free food.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

AlternateAccount posted:

Oh, ok.

Per-core/socket licensing for server makes zero sense to me, maybe someone can explain. A server instance is a server instance. The scale of what it covers raises or lowers the price based on CAL cost. It seems like it would be a lot easier that way.

Server 2016 standard and datacenter licensing requires at least 2 processors and at least 8 cores per processor for licensing. If you are using a 1 socket 1 core server up to 4 sockets and 8 cores your pricing is the same as under server 2012. If you have 10 or 12 or more cores per socket you have to pay for extra core packs.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
My friend has a breakfast meeting tomorrow with the CEO of whatever security VAR. He's interviewed there already and wasn't interested even though it's a 40% pay increase, but despite his constant no thank yous to offers and requests for dinner to convince him otherwise they keep trying and finally he gave in for a free breakfast. I don't understand why companies persevere, I wouldn't want to hire someone who would likely hate the job.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

adorai posted:

they can coexist. Not every company has a single focus, even if they develop a public facing application. If chase used devops for their online banking they aren't going to give that team control of the branches or even the core network.

Sure, but I'm going to assume that if he's involved in the network design it's because the code his team is developing runs on that network, and that he's not just taking a break from his usual duties to redesign some random networks that are completely unrelated to his job. But maybe so!

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

CLAM DOWN posted:

Man, I am such a slut for a free lunch. I love attending seminars and vendor events and presentations if I get free food.

Speaking of which, anyone going to Microsoft Ignite next month? It's their combined Office / Windows / Exchange / SharePoint / SQL / etc. conference.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

tomapot posted:

Speaking of which, anyone going to Microsoft Ignite next month? It's their combined Office / Windows / Exchange / SharePoint / SQL / etc. conference.

Yup. I'll be there.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

tomapot posted:

Going to SANS instead :smug:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Sepist posted:

My friend has a breakfast meeting tomorrow with the CEO of whatever security VAR. He's interviewed there already and wasn't interested even though it's a 40% pay increase, but despite his constant no thank yous to offers and requests for dinner to convince him otherwise they keep trying and finally he gave in for a free breakfast. I don't understand why companies persevere, I wouldn't want to hire someone who would likely hate the job.

I'm in a similar situation with another company right now. Their director of security services has been inviting me to coffee for a while now, and I finally gave in. They seem like a cool bunch of people to work with, but I pretty much do whatever the hell I want in my current job (I work my own hours within reason, work from home when I want, and am given a wide degree of latitude in how I deal with customers) while basically getting paid to go on vacation every month to two months. I'm not sure a 30-40% pay increase is worth giving that up.

psydude fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Aug 31, 2016

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Anyone going to nginxconf in Austin next week?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Nice.

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/hackers-stole-over-60-million-dropbox-accounts
https://www.troyhunt.com/the-dropbox-hack-is-real/

quote:

Earlier today, Motherboard reported on what had been rumoured for some time, namely that Dropbox had been hacked. Not just a little bit hacked and not in that "someone has cobbled together a list of credentials that work on Dropbox" hacked either, but proper hacked to the tune of 68 million records.

quote:

There is no doubt whatsoever that the data breach contains legitimate Dropbox passwords

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

CLAM DOWN posted:

We have a vendor that does a yearly presentation of what new stuff they want us to buy and evaluate what we need and make some proposals. Not just IT related but for other departments too, we usually don't buy computer hardware from them but something like an industrial label maker, a chair, that stuff. Why they do it in house who the gently caress knows. Also no idea why but they always call my extension when setting stuff up.

They also come in if a department they deal with gets a new manager, they bring food. If it's early they bring donuts and coffee and eggs muffin garbage that is no where near as good as home made. But if it's lunch they'll bring way more sandwiches than we could possibly eat and ends up being food for two days. They are really good from a local place, I always try and book for 12:30 or 1:00. Also gently caress having to sit at a table at 9:15 I'm usually still trying to put out whatever dumpster garbage someone went maybe it'll be better in the morning at 3PM and never told me about and now its critical at 8:00AM.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

I would be, but it's never good food down here. It's usually like "Hey, I brought Pizza!" or a catering from the place that should have been but wasn't shut down by the Health Department for cockroach meat labelled as beef, chicken, and pork.

I'd also kill for some authentic poutine for a vendor to take me to.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

CLAM DOWN posted:

This is what I miss the most in going to work for a VAR. Fortunately I have friends who still get these I can piggy back off of, I just have to make sure the host doesn't know I work for their competition.

Edit: speak of the devil, some company just sent us $170 worth of breakfast from panera completely unexpected. There's all of 5 people in the office today :confuoot:

hihifellow fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Aug 31, 2016

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop

Fudge posted:

What's the point of having a network security team that doesn't have full ownership of the security architecture? Your CIO is an assclown.

This. He doesn't know networking or security controls/procedures in any way shape or form but wants to stick his nose in everything for some reason. Like we had to explain what trunking and spanning is to him in a meeting about the network last week. His constant refrain is "Keep the bad guys out!" when I am more worried about the dipshits around the office shipping stuff off to their dropboxes or other online storage accounts he wont let us shut down even though we have a company run one-drive account for people to work with. He is your typical under informed exec surrounded by the worst yes men so he thinks he actually has good ideas about stuff. The problem is that he and my former boss (who may not have been the most knowledgeable but at least knew 50x more then CIO) got in a fight cause former boss wouldnt fire a person on the netops team the big boss wanted gone so he fired him. Group has been leaderless for like 3-4 months now and he thinks he is helping by stepping in and sending directors/vps from other departments to come help us, but they dont know their rear end in a top hat from their elbow outside of their respective focuses.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

skipdogg posted:

Yup. I'll be there.

I'm on the SharePoint track (I know, I know) but Ignite gives me the chance to dabble in some Project and BI sessions as well.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

tomapot posted:

I'm on the SharePoint track (I know, I know) but Ignite gives me the chance to dabble in some Project and BI sessions as well.

You poor poor soul. How bad is your liver? I still haven't built my schedule, but I do mostly infrastructure stuff so I'll be attending mostly the infrastructure sessions. 5 people from my work team are going, most of them live in Atlanta already, one gent flying in from the UK.

The 'vision' for team I'm on is to manage the 'private cloud' for the enterprise, along with core MSFT infra pieces (AD, DFS, System Center) so looking for sessions like that. We're a 100% VMware shop but someone on high wants "hypervisor diversity" so we're going to be deploying a UCS chassis running Hyper-V in the future.

This is my first time going to a conference like this... I have no idea what to expect aside from 20K+ IT dudes converging on Atlanta... Dell Software invited us to a fancy dinner Wednesday night at the W hotel. Free fancy steak dinner is always a win.

Earlier this year the company I worked for was bought buy a much much larger company, and I have to say it doesn't suck so far. I know big companies can be terrible sometimes but I landed on a good tight knit smaller team in our IT org. The funding and training opportunities I have right now are fantastic compared to the resources I had years prior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

Like we had to explain what trunking and spanning is to him in a meeting about the network last week.

Actual quote some time ago: "Trunking? This has nothing to do with Christmas trees, this is OUR NETWORK." :saddowns: