Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Dick Trauma posted:

It wasn't just about the air quality though. The whole plane smelled gross, especially when you'd first step on. Each seat had a little ashtray in the armrest and they also smelled terrible. You can still see some of them on older planes, permanently sealed shut. There was so much yellow/brown scuzz on things. Ugh!

Khisanth Magus posted:

It didn't really improve the air quality much when they banned smoking, however. When smoking was allowed they had to constantly circulate air into the cabin and remove the old air. Now they keep this to an absolute minimum, so you are pretty much breathing the same stale air the entire time.

FAA licensed aircraft mechanic checking in. The CRJ's I worked on cycled out the air in the cabin every 9 minutes. I know this because the old mechanic used to joke about smelling someones fart for nine minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Thursday
Dev: I'm leaving for my vacation Friday afternoon for two weeks (that you've all known about for months) and will be out of range of everything!
:downs: : Okay! We should do a production push. We have all these major changes that we've been sitting on for 6 months, it's time to get them out with the new redesign!

Monday (today)
:saddowns: : Oh god everything is broken

Guess it's my problem now. :suicide:

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

devmd01 posted:

Never make changes that could have any kind of impact on a Monday or Friday, that's pretty drat high up there on the list of "rules for IT."

Other such rules include if payroll has an issue processing you drop everything right loving now to fix it, always take care of HR, and suck as much dick as you have to to support C/VP levels.

Like most of history this is something everyone is doomed to repeat.

Such as me; last Friday I was setting up a new receive connector on our Exchange server and managed to blow out the payroll/credit control server communications, since I sit next to the credit controller who showed me SMTP errors.

It's one of the situations where you're doing configuration then notice "Huh, these options aren't what I originally set them to a moment ago, better change and save" then much later the penny drops and you realise you really should've stopped and think about what you're currently doing.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Good news: Managers are putting tickets in for new employees
Bad news: They've spelled the last two employees names wrong

Loyd instead of Lloyd, and Hanes instead of Haynes!

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Bob Morales posted:

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Bob Morales posted:

Oh gently caress I hate this so much, and the users always think I'm the rear end in a top hat with no attention to detail. At least our apps support manager self-service now so I don't have to deal with this too often.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Alereon posted:

Oh gently caress I hate this so much, and the users always think I'm the rear end in a top hat with no attention to detail. At least our apps support manager self-service now so I don't have to deal with this too often.

Had a case of the exact opposite last week. Odd last name for a new user came in; if two letters were transposed, it would be a very common last name (Jonhson vs Johnson). I called HR and said "Hey I just wanted to verify this ticket, is the new user's last name spelled j-o-n-H...-s-o-n?"

:byodame: YES isn't that what I WROTE DOWN in the TICKET?!?

Yes, that's how I see it here, I just wanted to make sure before I set the new user up

:byodame: OK so I wrote down J...O...N...H...S...O...N, right?? Then that's how it's spelled!

:( gently caress, fine I won't bother checking in the future, when there's a mistake you'll be the first under the bus.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
After a few screw-ups I make it a point to ask the HR assistant for a new employee's preferred first name.

She is always wrong. ALWAYS.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Always get it in writing, and once you have it, you are fully free of responsibility for any typos. If anyone gives you poo poo, show them the request, and then tell them to go whine to the one that made it.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Meetings without agendas, for which you are only invited to 5 minutes before they occur. :mad:

Zamujasa fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Aug 30, 2016

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Dick Trauma posted:

After a few screw-ups I make it a point to ask the HR assistant for a new employee's preferred first name.

Then you get the dick who wants to be known by their middle name but doesn't mention it until he's been working there for 9 days.

I KNOW MY NAME IS DAVID BUT EVERYONE CALLS ME THOMAS THAT'S MY MIDDLE NAME

Sorry, you're David now.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Pissing me off: New customer (we're manufacturing) has a special snowflake invoice system. They are a large contract so we can't say gently caress you do something normal. What you do is rather than snail mail, email or upload an invoice you "print" with their virtual print driver. This doesn't actually print anything it just uploads the document to this 3rd party invoicing services they are using.

We also have a few dozen people that could invoice them, 3rd party lovely companies site says the solution is to install it on a print server and share it with a GPO like a normal printer. Okay good, but now what if a user prints sensitive information to this? The site doesn't even show what's been uploaded so we can't delete something if we accidentally send something. Also if more customers use this lovely service we need to install 1 printer per customer.

We have thousands of customers if everyone did this my print server would be a nightmarish hellhole, and users would have a confusing mess. Best part is the software defaults the printer name to %PRODUCT% - %COMPANYNAME% not the customers name, no ours. So if we got 10 new customers tomorrow I'd have to install each printer one at a time and then rename them. IT shouldn't need to be involved to invoice a customer.

This doesn't scale at all, if somehow we had dozens of customers on it we'd have people getting the wrong invoice all the time and I know it.

First thing out of my mouth was "This is going to cause problems can we tell them to gently caress off?" to which I got "nope, huge paycheck" to which I then get shown the invoice and yup, that's paying for new hardware.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Dick Trauma posted:

The welcome! Here are your temporary passwords letter that new users get (in an envelope handed to them by their manager) includes in big red letters: If your name is misspelled on any account, or you have issues logging into an account dial #### as soon as you notice. This doesn't always help, had someone named Gerry with the login Jerry for 3 weeks before they said something :smith:

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Had a case of the exact opposite last week. Odd last name for a new user came in; if two letters were transposed, it would be a very common last name (Jonhson vs Johnson). I called HR and said "Hey I just wanted to verify this ticket, is the new user's last name spelled j-o-n-H...-s-o-n?"

:byodame: YES isn't that what I WROTE DOWN in the TICKET?!?

Yes, that's how I see it here, I just wanted to make sure before I set the new user up

:byodame: OK so I wrote down J...O...N...H...S...O...N, right?? Then that's how it's spelled!

:( gently caress, fine I won't bother checking in the future, when there's a mistake you'll be the first under the bus.

I'm reminded of the time a manager made a ticket for a name correction, and managed to spell the newly hired employee's name two different ways in the ticket.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

pixaal posted:

Pissing me off: New customer (we're manufacturing) has a special snowflake invoice system. They are a large contract so we can't say gently caress you do something normal. What you do is rather than snail mail, email or upload an invoice you "print" with their virtual print driver. This doesn't actually print anything it just uploads the document to this 3rd party invoicing services they are using.

We also have a few dozen people that could invoice them, 3rd party lovely companies site says the solution is to install it on a print server and share it with a GPO like a normal printer. Okay good, but now what if a user prints sensitive information to this? The site doesn't even show what's been uploaded so we can't delete something if we accidentally send something. Also if more customers use this lovely service we need to install 1 printer per customer.

We have thousands of customers if everyone did this my print server would be a nightmarish hellhole, and users would have a confusing mess. Best part is the software defaults the printer name to %PRODUCT% - %COMPANYNAME% not the customers name, no ours. So if we got 10 new customers tomorrow I'd have to install each printer one at a time and then rename them. IT shouldn't need to be involved to invoice a customer.

This doesn't scale at all, if somehow we had dozens of customers on it we'd have people getting the wrong invoice all the time and I know it.

First thing out of my mouth was "This is going to cause problems can we tell them to gently caress off?" to which I got "nope, huge paycheck" to which I then get shown the invoice and yup, that's paying for new hardware.

Packet capture that poo poo and see what's going on. At some point it's probably just sending a PDF to a web service.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

pixaal posted:

The welcome! Here are your temporary passwords letter that new users get (in an envelope handed to them by their manager) includes in big red letters: If your name is misspelled on any account, or you have issues logging into an account dial #### as soon as you notice. This doesn't always help, had someone named Gerry with the login Jerry for 3 weeks before they said something :smith:

literally

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I have one of those Win 7 machines that stopped updating and everything I've tried has failed. It was working fine off of our WSUS until a couple of weeks ago. I'm going to have to punish this laptop so it knows who the boss is.

I am not the boss

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Must be a new quarter, management has decided a completely new process that we will follow. All tickets will funnel through our lead developer (wtf?) to prioritize. A bunch of "cleanup" type poo poo from our envrionment upgrade/migration is being scrapped, a ton of other work was moved around, and I probably have a whopping 3 hours of work to do now this week unless something breaks.

Guess it's time to get to the grindstone and actually finish studying for my CCNA and move onto MS cert. Considering all the time this frees up at work, looks like they're paying me to study for a bit.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 29, 2016

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

loving production floor employees. We have barcode scanners so you don't have to enter serial numbers by hand, just scan the drat sticker.

Emailed the production manager and operations manager because they hosed up like 10 serials last week, have to edit orders and they can't ship until the inventory is fixed blah blah slowing down the accounting department etc

First thing today, they put a ticket in asking to change a serial, they were two characters short. Then they mixed up an 0 and an O.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Bob Morales posted:

loving production floor employees. We have barcode scanners so you don't have to enter serial numbers by hand, just scan the drat sticker.

Emailed the production manager and operations manager because they hosed up like 10 serials last week, have to edit orders and they can't ship until the inventory is fixed blah blah slowing down the accounting department etc

First thing today, they put a ticket in asking to change a serial, they were two characters short. Then they mixed up an 0 and an O.

At my awful job we had to enter the Mac addresses of hundreds of VoIP phones to provision them and they wouldn't buy us a scanner. We eventually got one and it broke and they wouldn't replace it. Instead I'd have to unbox and manually enter a hundred macs at 2am while also configuring a PBX and putting them all on desks.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Jerk McJerkface posted:

At my awful job we had to enter the Mac addresses of hundreds of VoIP phones to provision them and they wouldn't buy us a scanner. We eventually got one and it broke and they wouldn't replace it. Instead I'd have to unbox and manually enter a hundred macs at 2am while also configuring a PBX and putting them all on desks.

poo poo if I had to do that kind of crazy work I'd just buy one myself. You can get some pretty good ones for cheap. We have a few of these $50 amazon specials at work. They haven't had any problems at all bluetooth and USB. I saw a few in the $20-30 range too when I was trying to find this model.

Vendor said they only tested with this model and from Amazon, CEO wanted that exact scanner from the exact supplier. So that's what we got apparently.

Yeah spending your money on work to make your job easier sucks, but people use their own tools all the time when work is too cheap to buy a nice screwdriver set. Less useful at home sure but you can probably think of something it'd be nice for. Or you know eat the $50 do the job 2 hours quicker and enjoy your free time, because you know you aren't getting paid for that overtime.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bob Morales posted:

Then you get the dick who wants to be known by their middle name but doesn't mention it until he's been working there for 9 days.

I KNOW MY NAME IS DAVID BUT EVERYONE CALLS ME THOMAS THAT'S MY MIDDLE NAME

Sorry, you're David now.

Yeah, I go by middle name. But I don't throw a hissy fit. I just mention it to people and eventually everyone refers to me by my middle name. I don't give a gently caress what it says in the company directory and I'll answer to either if it's someone new or someone who just never remembers.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

MF_James posted:

All tickets will funnel through our lead developer (wtf?) to prioritize.

Someone read half a SCRUM tutorial and decided Lead Developer will now be Product Owner. This can basically go three ways:

1) Lead Developer becomes Product Owner, stops writing code, does a poor-to-decent job prioritizing.
2) Lead Developer becomes Product Owner, is expected to continue writing as much code as before, fails miserably at both jobs.
3) Lead Developer puts up with about a week of this horseshit before he quits for a job that lets him be a developer.

Some nuance in there; like for #1 every one of his decisions could be overruled by the "real" management that still wants control, so the rest of the team gets jerked around like a rat being shaken by a terrier.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I once had a deployment guy send me 50 phone pictures with MAC addresses for phones.

He really thought I would type them in by hand and got angry when I told him he would be without phones unless he provided the MAC addresses in a format that I could c/p into a nice csv file.

edit: poo poo pissing me off now, I'm trying to study for my JNCIS-ENT exam but a new guy sitting near me is the worst mouthbreather ever and it's incredibly distracting.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Che Delilas posted:

Someone read half a SCRUM tutorial and decided Lead Developer will now be Product Owner. This can basically go three ways:

1) Lead Developer becomes Product Owner, stops writing code, does a poor-to-decent job prioritizing.
2) Lead Developer becomes Product Owner, is expected to continue writing as much code as before, fails miserably at both jobs.
3) Lead Developer puts up with about a week of this horseshit before he quits for a job that lets him be a developer.

Some nuance in there; like for #1 every one of his decisions could be overruled by the "real" management that still wants control, so the rest of the team gets jerked around like a rat being shaken by a terrier.

We are not a software development shop, we just have devs to do work for clients such as writing dumb little inhouse applications. They also handle all scripting, which is irritating being a sys admin and my powershell duties are relegated to 1-off things and simple commands, nothing super complex except the first thing I wrote which I sort of did on my own to migrated a few thousand AD objects around.

Lead Dev got 2 minion devs that do 90% of the work now, he's just supposed to do code review etc for them.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Sprechensiesexy posted:

I once had a deployment guy send me 50 phone pictures with MAC addresses for phones.

He really thought I would type them in by hand and got angry when I told him he would be without phones unless he provided the MAC addresses in a format that I could c/p into a nice csv file.

I was actually the one who did this once, only it was just two phones. It must've been a lovely week because I had to send them out three times because of typing errors, by the third time I just sent a picture and apologised to the provisioning guy for me being retarded and incapable of reading and writing.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Sorry, you're David now.

This is where government work is nice.

I don't care what you think your name is. Your account is made with your SSN. If you don't like your name go online and request a legal change.

(We have to use SSN* for accounts since everything people do are logged, and legally we have to keep track of who entered what in case there's a legal request for the data.)

*Actually it's "CPR" (Central Persons Registry). You get a CPR when you're born, or want to live here for an extended period of time. If you don't have a CPR you really can't do anything here (like registering an address, get a phone, get a bank account, get a CC, get a legal wage, etc.)

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

And for the US people who would balk at using the SSN, the CPR number is not a secret. You can't hijack someone's life by knowing it.

We use the employee ID for user names, which is just an incrementing 6-digit number. If HR fucks your name up, it's simple to just change the display name in AD.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Collateral Damage posted:

And for the US people who would balk at using the SSN, the CPR number is not a secret. You can't hijack someone's life by knowing it.

Actually it's kinda-secret.We are required to use it because we're da gob'mint. Private companies use it to verify identity, link it to a customer number, and use that instead.

I should probably mention that we have strict regulations for use/sharing of data, so strict that (for example) a soda company can't team up with a gym and send each member a free soda - except if the soda company sends the soda to the gym, and let them handle the actual shipping.

Crowley fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Aug 30, 2016

stevewm
May 10, 2005

RAID10 array in the file server I've not been allowed to replace. CrystalDiskInfo marks them all bad due to the power on hours; 72,804 hours.. 8.2 years!

WD RE 320GB drives.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They'll probably keep spinning just fine until the next power outage. You let those fossils sit still for a while and cool down you're gonna see casualties.

Reallocated sectors still being at zero is pretty impressive. Those older sub-terabyte drives are workhorses.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

This is extremely petty but in the code I am working on there is this loop that iterates over an array backwards for no apparent reason. It really annoys me for some reason.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

stevewm posted:

power on hours; 72,804 hours.. 8.2 years!
:stare:

Maigius posted:

This is extremely petty but in the code I am working on there is this loop that iterates over an array backwards for no apparent reason. It really annoys me for some reason.

:v: em ot enif skool tI ?thgir edoc eht gnidaer er'uoy erus uoy erA

MF_James
May 8, 2008

xzzy posted:

They'll probably keep spinning just fine until the next power outage. You let those fossils sit still for a while and cool down you're gonna see casualties.

Reallocated sectors still being at zero is pretty impressive. Those older sub-terabyte drives are workhorses.

Plus when the power goes out, that head will slam down and likely something will physically break.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Zamujasa posted:

I know that sublime text has a JavaScript "for" macro shortcut thing that sticks a for going backwards and it's the stupidest thing. Maybe that's what they're talking about.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Why does everything Autodesk have to be such a royal pain in the rear end for uninstall? Great, they have a full design suite that'll auto-install every component you need to save time...but each component has to be manually, separately uninstalled because the same install package doesn't work to remove all the components and Autodesk doesn't have a full suite removal tool.

And the reason I have to remove it? Dummy partner engineer installed the wrong loving version because instead of checking the user's old PC or asking, he figured installing the latest and greatest would be fine. Which it's not, because it's a network license stored on a server, and we haven't yet put the new license for the 2017 Autodesk products out on the server. Yay for wasting time removing all 38 or whatever components are installed and having to re-download and install the previous version that we DO have licensing set up for :downs:

Can't wait for this week to end, already took Friday and next Tuesday off and as soon as I leave Thursday my phone is getting shut off and bonehead engineer can handle the fallout.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Zamujasa posted:

I'm sure, the loop just enters mostly identical items into a database, but the loop just starts at the end and decrements for no apparent reason.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Why does everything Autodesk have to be such a royal pain in the rear end for uninstall? Great, they have a full design suite that'll auto-install every component you need to save time...but each component has to be manually, separately uninstalled because the same install package doesn't work to remove all the components and Autodesk doesn't have a full suite removal tool.

And the reason I have to remove it? Dummy partner engineer installed the wrong loving version because instead of checking the user's old PC or asking, he figured installing the latest and greatest would be fine. Which it's not, because it's a network license stored on a server, and we haven't yet put the new license for the 2017 Autodesk products out on the server. Yay for wasting time removing all 38 or whatever components are installed and having to re-download and install the previous version that we DO have licensing set up for :downs:

Can't wait for this week to end, already took Friday and next Tuesday off and as soon as I leave Thursday my phone is getting shut off and bonehead engineer can handle the fallout.

I feel your pain, I have to do this kind of thing constantly with the various features of vendor product suites users decide they want/don't want.

Check and see if the application installs show up in WMI (assuming you're Windows) in Win32_Product.

If they do you can make a powershell script that collects all the product GUIDs based on whatever criteria you give it (product name, vendor, etc.) and feed it to a foreach loop that hits MSIEXEC /X for each one. Assuming it uses MSIs, I'm not familiar with AutoDesk.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Maigius posted:

I'm sure, the loop just enters mostly identical items into a database, but the loop just starts at the end and decrements for no apparent reason.

Someone probably has the greater/less than brackets the wrong way round in the iterative loop, or they're going - - through it instead of ++.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.
After 5 years of preparation, a burn-out, a cancellation and some dry-runs my colleagues finally ran the script that would sync LDAP and AD.

It deleted all the AD groups, which is not what it did during the dry-run.