Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
yeah I was wondering if it works on Revenants . I've still got one left (wasted it because the item description says "opens a portal to the Yokai realm" so i thought it would summon some powerful dudes or something) so I'll try and test it on one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
Anyone else having some dicey netcode? I've had some pretty good experiences, but then I've also had some terrible ones with lots of weird input lag, slowdown, etc... Was just wondering if anyone else encountered this or if I was just unlucky.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Wow these Twilight stages don't screw around

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

my favorite part of this game visually is the steep drop off in fps that enemies are drawn with at long distances. it makes everything look creepy

Fire Barrel posted:

Anyone else having some dicey netcode? I've had some pretty good experiences, but then I've also had some terrible ones with lots of weird input lag, slowdown, etc... Was just wondering if anyone else encountered this or if I was just unlucky.

yeah i've seen some coop partners teleporting with some rollback. it makes the bosses do funny things when they are targeting them.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Yeah yup this game is still pretty good.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Real hurthling! posted:

yeah i've seen some coop partners teleporting with some rollback. it makes the bosses do funny things when they are targeting them.

Onryo gets hit hard with this. He will grab a ball and turn to face the visitor, and then the ball will launch violently out of his back to wreck your poo poo with full, hateful force. It was hilarious the first time but drat does it get annoying.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
So Hino-enma wrecked me last night and today I beat her without getting touched. I've had the easiest time with the axe so far.

Here's what I figured with her.
Try to drain her stamina. This means you have to clear the yokai pools quickly (she regens ki quickly).

High stance axe
Stay in front of her, but far enough back her spin kick can't hit you. Always block.

When you attack, use the backwards dodge to get out of reach. Only worry about Ki Pulse if you are trying to clear a pool or have a lot of time.

The attack to watch for is the jumping spin kick that creates the pool. I find it's better to block that, do one weak attack and clear the pool. Don't even worry if you whiff, just clear it and dodge out.

Attacks to punish:
You can dodge forward through her shout/scream and will probably have enough time to hit her with the strong attack 2 hit combo.
The 3 hit combo that ends with a horizontal kick (use strong attack)
The grab (use strong attack)
After the dive you can probably hit her with a few light attacks.
You might be able to punish the fan slaps if you are very quick.

When she is flying, hold block (the knives come out fast) and dodge the screams (dodge when she makes the shout noise) + dive

When she's staggered you can hit her with a weak, weak, strong combo and _maybe_ an extra weak hit or two. Be careful because she does a grab on wakeup as soon as the stagger ends and she's totally invincible during it. So be conservative and remember you can punish a missed grab. Or switch to dual swords and do the L1+T water sword attack.

You can also attack with the katana and L1+T. It comes out fast and if you are good at the Ki pulse you can clear the pools really quickly. Most of her attacks can be punished with L1+T but you have to be close.
Then when she staggers you can switch to high stance dual swords and use water sword.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

my favorite part of this game visually is the steep drop off in fps that enemies are drawn with at long distances. it makes everything look creepy

Yeah I really like game but honestly there aren't a lot of nice things I can say about the visuals. i guess the designs for Yokai and Guardian Spirits are all pretty cool and the sword fighting animations are neat ....... the art direction for the environment is pretty dull from what i've seen though (although wasn't there another area in the first demo that's not in this one? how did that look?) so hopefully the areas in the full game are a little more inspired

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Ugh fighting 2-3 fast enemies at once is miserable.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

RatHat posted:

use stones or run

goferchan posted:

Yeah I really like game but honestly there aren't a lot of nice things I can say about the visuals. i guess the designs for Yokai and Guardian Spirits are all pretty cool and the sword fighting animations are neat ....... the art direction for the environment is pretty dull from what i've seen though (although wasn't there another area in the first demo that's not in this one? how did that look?) so hopefully the areas in the full game are a little more inspired

it was a rainy pond temple. same use of grey and green and black as the other levels for the most part.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Real hurthling! posted:

use stones or run

Not really an option in some places, like the side missions.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

Good to know.

goferchan posted:

I agree that the environments are really a strong point for the game so far. I also like the animations and supernatural critters, as I think both stand out compared to some of the similar games out there, even if they aren't super intricate. That said, I think the main thing that will probably sell the game to people is the gameplay.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
I hope the full game has levels that actually have some color to them.

Also how do you use the spear? I probably suck with it, but it seems like it's a weird combo of katana and axe, but not as good as either. Destroys the drat fire wheel monks though.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

RatHat posted:

Not really an option in some places, like the side missions.

oh sorry i thought you meant with like human enemies in the base missions

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Spite posted:

I hope the full game has levels that actually have some color to them.

Also how do you use the spear? I probably suck with it, but it seems like it's a weird combo of katana and axe, but not as good as either. Destroys the drat fire wheel monks though.

The spear seems really defensive to me. Long reach, parry skills, scales with Body(health), ect.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Fire Barrel posted:

I agree that the environments are really a strong point for the game so far. I also like the animations and supernatural critters, as I think both stand out compared to some of the similar games out there, even if they aren't super intricate. That said, I think the main thing that will probably sell the game to people is the gameplay.

Yeah it's certainly already sold me; just hoping they can take advantage of the setting & show us some more vibrant environments than what we got in the demo. The world map looks to cover a pretty big chunk of land ... I'd love to see some snow-covered mountains or (even though it's cliche as hell) a bright and sunny springtime setting with cherry blossoms swirling everywhere. Guess we'll just have to wait and see, though

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

goferchan posted:

Yeah it's certainly already sold me; just hoping they can take advantage of the setting & show us some more vibrant environments than what we got in the demo. The world map looks to cover a pretty big chunk of land ... I'd love to see some snow-covered mountains or (even though it's cliche as hell) a bright and sunny springtime setting with cherry blossoms swirling everywhere. Guess we'll just have to wait and see, though

there's some flavor text in the game about yokai only existing at night or in darkness but maybe story reasons will change that

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I was talking to my friend about Nioh and apparently Miyamoto Musashi was in his 20s when this game takes place.

If this isn't a boss battle :argh:

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

WaltherFeng posted:

I was talking to my friend about Nioh and apparently Miyamoto Musashi was in his 20s when this game takes place.

Hanzo had been dead for 4 years so I wouldn't worry too much about timeframes.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

WaltherFeng posted:

Boss battle?! He better be this game's sunbro!

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

J.A.B.C. posted:

Onryo gets hit hard with this. He will grab a ball and turn to face the visitor, and then the ball will launch violently out of his back to wreck your poo poo with full, hateful force. It was hilarious the first time but drat does it get annoying.

He does that entirely without there needing to be a coop member along with you. It's real dumb.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

RatHat posted:

Use mid stance. High stance for damage, mid stance for groups, low stance for quick enemies.

Emalde posted:

He does that entirely without there needing to be a coop member along with you. It's real dumb.

I haven't tried any co-op stuff and I've never seen him do that. :shrug:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Playing around with spears and flux, I'm trying to practice hanging out in low stance to block, strike to open up the enemy, flux to high stance, kill them, flux back to low stance to be ready for the next guy.

I'm also not sure if jumping over Oni is useful, their attacks seem so sweeping that landing behind them still seems to get be hit but their next attack.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

WaltherFeng posted:

Takes place on an island, he's standing next to a boat with the sun at his back. He's using a wooden sword.

"Don't worry about your scabbard," He sighs, drawing his (wood) katana. "You won't need it."

Proceeds to wreck your poo poo.

Or, they could re-enact the time he ambushed a fool out of a tree, cut him down, then cut an escape path through his bodyguards with dual katanas. Or when he got locked in a bathhouse, tore down the door and proceeded to beat his attackers to death with a bamboo pole. Or that one time...

What I'm saying is that yes, he needs to be in this game.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Wouldn't Musashi kick your rear end with just a boat oar?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Make it the Musashi from the Square game.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Phantasium posted:

I haven't tried any co-op stuff and I've never seen him do that. :shrug:

Rolled up to do a recording of it and the demo hardcrashed :lol:

Believe me, with something like DS that let you bounce around really fast, if you ever actually get behind him the thing just shoots backwards out of his hand. I was complaining about it earlier in the thread. It has happened on 100% of my fights with onryo

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Wouldn't Musashi kick your rear end with just a boat oar?

Yeah, but they don't have those in this game, so I went with wood sword.

I think a Nodachi would be an interesting weapon class, but I'm not sure what niche it would fit, as crowd control is spears, combo is DK and damage is axe.

EDIT: All this Musashi talk reminds me of that one boss in 'Furi', who spends most of his day completely destroying you. Then halfway through the fight he puts his sword away, switches to an oar, and gets even harder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIWUw3EIti8

J.A.B.C. fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Aug 31, 2016

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
It's kinda weird that there's three co op modes but I really like the one were you keep doing missions with the same partner.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Emalde posted:

Rolled up to do a recording of it and the demo hardcrashed :lol:

Believe me, with something like DS that let you bounce around really fast, if you ever actually get behind him the thing just shoots backwards out of his hand. I was complaining about it earlier in the thread. It has happened on 100% of my fights with onryo

I believe it. That's kind of clunky, but the idea is solid: You can't dodge too soon. The only way to avoid those is to dodge after they are thrown. Once you know that, it's really easy to dodge them. You have to stay at medium range or farther while he's doing that, and just dodge after he throws.

His only attack that gives me trouble is his big 360, because I simply don't understand where the hitboxes are. Fortunately, it's not to hard to just... not have that attack happen. He only does it when you're hanging out right next to him for too long.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I don't think I've ever been hit by that ball except in the Twilight Mission where the adds got me while I wasn't paying attention to them.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Man is it just me or are the boss fights just kinda...not very fun still? I feel like I have a hard time figuring out how to actually do decent damage other than waiting for my magic to recharge. Is there a trick to actually doing damage? I feel like I don't understand:

1) what causes bosses to reel back and take extra damage
2) what causes bosses to get into stunlock mode, how to keep them there, or any visual indication of how long it'll last
3) how to keep my spirit animal magic going. it's just don't get hit right?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Yodzilla posted:

Man is it just me or are the boss fights just kinda...not very fun still? I feel like I have a hard time figuring out how to actually do decent damage other than waiting for my magic to recharge. Is there a trick to actually doing damage? I feel like I don't understand:

1) what causes bosses to reel back and take extra damage
2) what causes bosses to get into stunlock mode, how to keep them there, or any visual indication of how long it'll last
3) how to keep my spirit animal magic going. it's just don't get hit right?

1) hitting them in the face
2) draining the stamina/demon chi
3) each spirit animal has different living weapon stats. If you look at the spirit guardian page, there are stats for how long it lasts, how much it goes down when you use it, how much it goes down when you get hit, and how it recharges. The Dog, for example, actually refills from collecting amrita while it's active, so in large battles against lots of enemies, you could theoretically chain that poo poo forever.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Guide to using spears: Just wack everything with your spear real good.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

The first stage boss is way worse than the rest, it's weird. Like he goes into his second phase at 2/3 hp and from there it's way harder to empty his stamina than any of the other bosses (including nue) because half of his attacks create those fields that rapidly regenerate it and taking the time to clear them comes with a pretty good chance of getting clocked in the face for most/all of your health. So the safest approach ends up being this tedious hit and run without any good opportunities to really pile on damage like you get with the others.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Nue was trivial though, because you just needed to hit him on his right when he's spewing lightning to get him to stun, where you could stunlock him for a good two three combos, and you only needed to stay midrange to bait that attack.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Bat lady is about the same

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

lets hang out posted:

The first stage boss is way worse than the rest, it's weird. Like he goes into his second phase at 2/3 hp and from there it's way harder to empty his stamina than any of the other bosses (including nue) because half of his attacks create those fields that rapidly regenerate it and taking the time to clear them comes with a pretty good chance of getting clocked in the face for most/all of your health. So the safest approach ends up being this tedious hit and run without any good opportunities to really pile on damage like you get with the others.

Use the axe strong attack 2 hit combo to drain ki and use the ki pulse dodge to clear the pools.

In the second phase stay in front of him and bait that jump/spin/flop attack that creates a pool - he's vulnerable for a while if he misses.

Switch to dual swords and use water sword when he's staggered.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

lets hang out posted:

Bat lady is about the same

Yeah I think I was starting to get the bat lady but I killed her before I really figured her out (a messy win is still a win). I'm sure if I help some folks out for a little while longer I might get her down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Strategy for all Nioh bosses:

Dodge or block their attack.

Hit them between their attacks.