Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Hadlock posted:

It's not even 1080p per eye, and there's already a "daydream ready" cell phone on the market offering higher than that, second it's just a bunch of cell phone parts with an HDMI and USB ports. Once you build v1.0 it would stand to reason that you iterate on that model with improved specs. Since the spec was frozen for the Vive 1 well over a year ago, it would make sense to use upgraded hardware to improve resolution, refresh rate and internal tracking gyros etc. from cell phone tech now available.

That daydream ready phone is 2560x1440. The Rift and vive are 2160x1200. While that's bigger, it's not a huge difference. Not enough that people who were iffy on the resolution of the current device would say "Wow, this is it guys, it's ready." While early VR devices did use phone components, that is no longer the case. The Rift and Vive use custom screens and custom electronics. It's not as simple as just taking some phone parts, jamming them together and having a finished product. While the spec for the Vive may have been frozen over a year ok (I don't know for sure) it wasn't fully designed until very late if not early this year. They had planned on releasing in December and at the last moment changed things up and barely even released on time in April. These devices don't have a quick turn around time, it will be a while until they are ready to announce, much less release, a second version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I think the biggest challenge for next generation is going to be getting a wireless headset that supports 4K-Split rendering and then hoping the next generation of 3D cards comes out to supplement it. Otherwise we'll be stuck with cartoonish worlds because Nvidia's VR demo is already taxing the 1080 for a small amount of world space being rendered.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I like cartoon worlds

Edit: Chronos is real good for example

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Here's something that might feel a bit like a marketing survey, because it sorta is, but I honestly have higher regard for the opinion of goons than over the opinions of the rest of the internet so I hope you guys don't mind:
Do you guys care in particular about audio in VR apps and games? Did you ever play a game where you felt that the audio was affecting your degree of immersion?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Do you guys care in particular about audio in VR apps and games? Did you ever play a game where you felt that the audio was affecting your degree of immersion?

Tiltbrush is way better with an active music stream, but that's largely because most of the brushes are sound sensitive and move in time to the music and really brings you into it and makes you forget the real world. Obviously for Audioshield the music is a big component of it.

Other than that, sound is vitally important to scary moments. The sound of a spider actually being up on your roof skittering around in Minecraft was really intense when I played.

Finally, it is important in everything in regards to making a seemless experience, but you most don't notice when it's working (it's also really useful for providing feedback)

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Good audio is as important to me for immersion as good gameplay and graphics. In general audio seems to be an often overlooked aspect in videogames and it's a bummer. It's on of those things for me in VR when it's good, I don't really notice it, but if it's bad or lacking it really stands out.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Here's something that might feel a bit like a marketing survey, because it sorta is, but I honestly have higher regard for the opinion of goons than over the opinions of the rest of the internet so I hope you guys don't mind:

Yeah. Space Pirate Trainer is probably my favorite room scale thing, but one thing that takes me out of it is that the spacialized audio isn't particularly well done. You can sort of tell if something is generally behind you or to the left or right, but it's virtually impossible to tell where something is vertically, ie if it's, say, right in front of you or right above you, and it's really frustrating when something like getting shot from right above happens because there's no way to tell.

Since I can see everything as if it were in real space it's very noticeable when something doesn't sound right. I tried out the Ascension game on Oculus, and it was a bit jarring when I could see the other players and they looked like they were a fair distance away, but it sounded like they were right next to me when they were talking. I'm not sure that I notice it as much when it's done well, but I definitely notice it when I feel like there's a disconnect between what I see and what I hear.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

GlyphGryph posted:

Other than that, sound is vitally important to scary moments. The sound of a spider actually being up on your roof skittering around in Minecraft was really intense when I played.

This is one reason Alien: Isolation would be a deeply scarring cv1/vive experience. The footsteps alone would drive you insane. God I wish they'd adapt that game

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Poetic Justice posted:

Good audio is as important to me for immersion as good gameplay and graphics. In general audio seems to be an often overlooked aspect in videogames and it's a bummer. It's on of those things for me in VR when it's good, I don't really notice it, but if it's bad or lacking it really stands out.

I presume one reason for that is that it is really hard for audio to be used in any kind of marketing capacity. It doesn't show up in screenshots, you probably won't hear anything much in a trailer with music/voice over, and streamers yammering over your game will cover up subtle audio.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
For me, good audio is probably more important than fancy graphics.

The Gay Bean
Apr 19, 2004
I played through The Solus Project, and while it's not a flawless play experience, sound was instrumental in finding some stuff in the game due to sound source localization. I couldn't easily play the game with my headphones in the wrong ears.

But more than that, a low level of appropriate ambient noise in the game helps drown out all noises from your surroundings, and that's essential for immersion. If I hear the toilet flush or something then I immediately become aware of my real environment.

Completely disregarding, for a moment, the question of whether complete immersion is a good thing.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I really miss the motion controls when using my Rift, but the headphones and the fact most Oculus demos are made with good sound in mind almost makes up for that.

When using the Vive for short sessions I often won't bother with the headphones because of the hassle of putting the headset on, then the headphones, then dealing with the wire.

The instant sound ( and the fact they're actually quite good) does a lot to make things feel a lot more immersive.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Yes, absolutely. Good audio (both general audio design as well as spatial positioning) is actually a bigger deal than a lot of people give it credit for, VR or no.

It's not a VR game, but go look at Overwatch as a stellar example of how to Do Audio Right.

FuzzySlippers posted:

I presume one reason for that is that it is really hard for audio to be used in any kind of marketing capacity. It doesn't show up in screenshots, you probably won't hear anything much in a trailer with music/voice over, and streamers yammering over your game will cover up subtle audio.
Yeah it's not really "sexy" in the same way that (for example) fancy graphics can be, and it's pretty easy to get away with some pretty mediocre audio, but when it's done well it can hugely enhance the experience.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Surprise Giraffe posted:

This is one reason Alien: Isolation would be a deeply scarring cv1/vive experience. The footsteps alone would drive you insane. God I wish they'd adapt that game

It upsets me to no end that A:I in VR was a thing and now it isnt. I played it ib VR! It was amazing!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I played it on my DK2 and while it sort of worked, the scale seemed off. I decided to put off playing the game until a consumer headset came out. Then it turned out that all those games there were in those leaked images of being in SteamVR actually weren't. So I never finished Alien: Isolation.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Doom 3 BFG is on sale for $2.50 and poster incrediclient on the Oculus forums compiled something that works with the CV1. It works...alright - the cutscenes are a little jarring & you have to close one eye to read the menus but the in-game experience is solid.

Also there's a new, good & free VR video player for the rift now and vive apparently very soon? http://deovr.com/

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
People are all on about how important audio is, meanwhile here I just have the audio blast from my 5.1 speakers all of the time because I don't care to wear more poo poo on my head than necessary.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Thanks for the answers guys, I'll definitely play some of those games to get synced and what's considered immersive VR audio.

Mordaedil posted:

People are all on about how important audio is, meanwhile here I just have the audio blast from my 5.1 speakers all of the time because I don't care to wear more poo poo on my head than necessary.

For a roomscale setup external speaker configurations are not a bad idea, of course it's not gonna be as convincing as binaural stereo that uses head tracking and it will be somewhat more ambiguous in its ability to reproduce positional sources within the "room" but it's definitely an interesting concept.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
5.1 isn't too worse than headphones to matter to most people I imagine. It is more expensive/longer to set up though.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I mean, there's no question that binaural stereo using headphones will yield more immersive results, you won't be able to make something sound like it's crawling on the back of your head with a speaker setup no matter how well it is mixed.

If you aren't familiar with the following I recommend putting on a pair of headphones and listening to it cause it gives a real great example of the kind of psychological effect a proper binaural recording can have:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUDTlvagjJA

Obviously both modes of reproduction have their pros and cons but generally headphones are the more "natural" mode of reproduction for VR, imo.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It's even worse, it's off on the side because I set it up for when I sit and play games. Also the sound will "spin" as I turn around, which would be highly confusing if I used the audio cues.

But if I play a vr game that immersive, I would probably wear headphones. For a game like Hotdogs, Horseshoes and Handgrenades it doesn't matter much.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I mean, there's no question that binaural stereo using headphones will yield more immersive results, you won't be able to make something sound like it's crawling on the back of your head with a speaker setup no matter how well it is mixed.

If you aren't familiar with the following I recommend putting on a pair of headphones and listening to it cause it gives a real great example of the kind of psychological effect a proper binaural recording can have:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUDTlvagjJA

Obviously both modes of reproduction have their pros and cons but generally headphones are the more "natural" mode of reproduction for VR, imo.

I hope this post gets quoted every time this discussion comes up. One and done.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

I played it on my DK2 and while it sort of worked, the scale seemed off. I decided to put off playing the game until a consumer headset came out. Then it turned out that all those games there were in those leaked images of being in SteamVR actually weren't. So I never finished Alien: Isolation.

Project Cars has a great in-game VR option to increase or decrease the scale of everything until it seems right. I wish more games had this.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

AndrewP posted:

Project Cars has a great in-game VR option to increase or decrease the scale of everything until it seems right. I wish more games had this.

That game still makes me really queasy though... I guess they still don't do non-fixed horizon or something?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You can change the setting for that in the menu.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Cojawfee posted:

You can change the setting for that in the menu.

Ah, to be honest I kinda gave up on it after I as bored even with the go kart league... I think I'm not cut out for racing sims, F-Zero or Mario Kart are just way more fun.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Has anyone played this Damaged Core thing? Looks like it's a big new release from Oculus Studios out today, haven't heard much about it though.
e: produced by Oculus Studios, developed by High Voltage who've done things for mobile & Wii. Also you get access to the beta of their next VR game http://uploadvr.com/buy-damaged-core-week-get-access-dragon-front-beta-later/, currently in development, if you buy Damaged Core this week.

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Aug 30, 2016

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

El Grillo posted:

Has anyone played this Damaged Core thing? Looks like it's a big new release from Oculus Studios out today, haven't heard much about it though.

I might give it a shot at $30. There are 8 reviews averaging 4.something stars now, you can only see this from the vr version of the store and not even the rating online or from the application.

I love agile software development.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

FormatAmerica posted:

I might give it a shot at $30. There are 8 reviews averaging 4.something stars now, you can only see this from the vr version of the store and not even the rating online or from the application.

I love agile software development.
Oh lol yeah I had no idea there was a rating system on the store. Cool let us know what it's like! The few sites that have written about it seem pretty positive, and the visuals at least look good.

FormatAmerica posted:

Also there's a new, good & free VR video player for the rift now and vive apparently very soon? http://deovr.com/
Wondering why this isn't on Oculus Store early access section. Anyhow I've got it so will check it out, youtube player ist gut.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Ehhh. I think I might be done buying Oculus games until Touch comes out.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I have been hearing people describe Quar as a "must buy", one of the best actual games available in VR yet. Has anyone given it a try?

I wish I had time for a TBS, I would pick it up in a heartbeat.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

So I'm looking at this for a VRPC:

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($328.01 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($158.52 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($253.62 @ Amazon)
Storage: Sandisk X400 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($247.07 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Video Card ($668.89 @ Amazon)
Case: Nanoxia Deep Silence 1 ATX Mid Tower Case ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($91.85 @ Amazon)

Is there anything missing that I'll need to drive a rift/vive? Do I need an extra beefy power supply?

The graphics card is still going to be the most common bottleneck, right?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

LLSix posted:

So I'm looking at this for a VRPC:

Is there anything missing that I'll need to drive a rift/vive? Do I need an extra beefy power supply?

The power supply is fine. The only thing I'm worried about is the SSD. I would ask in the SSD megathread if Sandisk SSDs are okay or not. I personally would use a Samsung 850 EVO.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I would definitely not just get an ssd drive, they have crap space for storing an OS as well as games.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Eh I get by just fine on two SSDs. A 125gb one for the OS and a few non-game applications and a 500gb one for everything else.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I have 2 2 TB drives and I'm almost out of space.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

That must be with tons of media or an absurd number of games. I have OS + tons of applications + programming/unity projects and my 400gb ssd is half full. I don't see much boost putting most games on the ssd so I just move over a game if it matters.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Nalin posted:

The power supply is fine. The only thing I'm worried about is the SSD. I would ask in the SSD megathread if Sandisk SSDs are okay or not. I personally would use a Samsung 850 EVO.
Sandisk SSDs are fine. They're not gonna be as quite fast as say, a Samsung 850 (Evo or Pro), but they're reliable and you're saving like $70 for a 1TB X400 over the 850 Evo.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

FuzzySlippers posted:

That must be with tons of media or an absurd number of games. I have OS + tons of applications + programming/unity projects and my 400gb ssd is half full. I don't see much boost putting most games on the ssd so I just move over a game if it matters.

The tons of media is part of the fun part of owning a pc. But most of it is possibly mods for games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah I just keep my media on a 2tb external HDD. It feels good having a relatively free PC because I always know I can install stuff if I really have to without deleting stuff I don't really want to delete.