Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Saukkis posted:

How well does speech recognition work with drunken slur?

Pretty well, in my experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Cockmaster posted:

Some versions of lithium phosphate (such as A123 batteries) can take about 4-5C.

"Can take" as in "usually does not blow up" or as in "gives years and years of reliable service"?

Some more car news. I just discovered this news/blog site and it's pretty good if you want to keep up with the haps.

quote:

As part of its new plan to build 2 to 3 million all-electric cars a year and unveil 30 new models by 2025, Volkswagen announced that they plan to debut one of these 30 new electric car models at the Paris Motor show next month.

VW CEO Hebert Diess confirmed the news in an interview with German magazine Wirtschafts Woche.

He said that the vehicle will achieve a range of 400 to 600 km (248 to 372 miles), but he could have been referring to the New European Driving Cycle (NEDC), which is much more forgiving than the EPA rating and doesn’t really reflect real-world range, but a range of ~300 miles sounds likely.

He added that the vehicle will be about the size of a VW Golf, but with the cargo space of a Passat.

The prototype to be unveiled in Paris will be close to what will go in production, which is aimed at 2018-2019 according to Diess.

Interestingly, Diess also mentioned that in order for VW to produce millions of electric car per year, it will have to bring battery production in-house or at least have battery production in Germany.

The good thing about the 350 kW charging standard, even if VWs or the Merc CGI can't take the full power, is that they'll be comfortably in Tesla charging speed territory with similarly sized packs.

e: a link will probably be helpful https://electrek.co/2016/08/17/vw-debut-new-electric-car-300-miles-range-paris/

Ola fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Aug 20, 2016

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Ola posted:

VW electric with 300 mile range.
Yeah, but it's VW so it'll really just be secretly burning diesel and farts, and breaking emission laws. And the batteries are nuclear waste.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
Speaking of a 300 mi range...

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/car-technology/news/a30515/tesla-model-s-p100d-acceleration-range/

quote:

Tesla's fastest-accelerating model just got even faster. Thanks to a bigger battery, the new top dog in the Tesla lineup is the Model S P100D, which, when equipped with Ludicrous Mode, will rocket from zero to 60 in just 2.5 seconds.

As Tesla was happy to point out during a conference call announcing the update today, that makes the Model S P100D the third quickest production car in history, surpassed only by the Ferrari LaFerrari and the Porsche 918 Spyder. Among cars currently in production, it's the quickest in the world. The new 100 kWh battery also gives the Model S an estimated 315 miles of driving range per the Environmental Protection Agency, making it the longest-range electric car ever made and the first to surpass 300 miles.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

It's been talked about so much I thought it had been announced already. I think it's great, differentiates more between P and non-P and it makes the rich P buyers contribute more to the Tesla cash register.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Took delivery of my P90D 7 days ago. :negative:

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

Well you know cars are like cell phones now. Just upgrade in 2 years.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Well you know cars are like cell phones now. Just upgrade in 2 years.

I got hosed on importing my P85D to Canada, so I'm hoping to keep this one for at least 2 years!

It'll be interesting to see what they do with the S around the launch of the 3. A new sensor platform if nothing else.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Subjunctive posted:

The upgrade is only $20k.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ilkhan posted:

The upgrade is only $20k.

Oh, I know. I know.

It'll take a while to be available in Canada, and I really just want the range, but...so close.

E: a week ago before I took delivery it'd only have been $10K.

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Aug 24, 2016

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Ola posted:

It's been talked about so much I thought it had been announced already. I think it's great, differentiates more between P and non-P and it makes the rich P buyers contribute more to the Tesla cash register.

Speaking of the Tesla cash register, they're bumping up the price to unlock the Autopilot software:

http://blog.caranddriver.com/tesla-hikes-prices-on-autopilot-adds-two-year-leases-and-discounts/

quote:

The Autopilot price change is a move “to best reflect the value” of the product, according to Tesla spokesperson Alexis Georgeson, and that it doesn’t correspond to any addition to the Autopilot suite of sensors and hardware.

I'm going to go out on a limb and speculate that someone noticed that several other luxury car makers (such as Mercedes) were charging thousands more for similar technology.

Cockmaster fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Sep 1, 2016

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

https://electrek.co/2016/08/30/audi-launch-electric-audi-a9-e-tron-in-2020/

quote:

Audi confirms the launch of all-electric and self-driving Audi A9 e-tron in 2020

95 kwh battery yielding 500 km (311 miles) of range
An 11 kw inductive charging plate option that will be offered
Mostly aluminum structure
All-wheel drive. 3 electric motors (one up front, two in rear) for a total of 429 bhp, and a sport mode to boost it to 496 bhp and 590 lb ft torque temporarily
0-100 khm (0-62 mph) in 4.6 seconds and a top speed of 211 kmh (131 mph)
Level-4 autonomous driving technology

One main difference that Stefan Knirsch, head of Audi R&D, said would make the A9 e-tron unique are the motors and how they’re tuned. While many EVs have used synchronous motors, the electronic torque vectoring in their asynchronous drive-trains will, reportedly, “offer higher efficiency levels than synchronous motors.”

I like the idea of having an inductive charging plate in the garage. Just park above it, job done. 11 kW is enough for full charge from evening to morning as well.

Ola fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Aug 31, 2016

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Ola posted:

I like the idea of having an inductive charging plate in the garage. Just park above it, job done. 11 kW is enough for full charge from evening to morning as well.

Me too. There have been some aftermarket options but no factory ones that I know of yet. Of course this says 2020 so by that time I bet the other guys will get them too.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The one I know of can't do level 2 charging rates yet, which I think will be a problem for adoption as ranges increase. I don't know what the limitation is.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Well most people don't drive that far so wireless charging works fine at the lower rate. You can always have a plug for days you have a low battery or need a fast refill.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Specs look good. Where will they source the batteries from, though? That's a pretty good sized battery to be selling in volume. Also 4.6s? Maybe we're just spoiled by Tesla but that seems slow for 3 motors and nearly 500 electric hp.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

VW/VAG are building their own battery factory. Not sure if anything has been published about cell chemistry, if they are rolling their own or packaging someone else's.

I'm fine with them not being suckered in to a 0-60 race if they get suckered in to a kWh and charging infrastructure race instead!

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ola posted:

VW/VAG are building their own battery factory. Not sure if anything has been published about cell chemistry, if they are rolling their own or packaging someone else's.

I'm fine with them not being suckered in to a 0-60 race if they get suckered in to a kWh and charging infrastructure race instead!
Ah, I'd forgotten about them building their own.

And I'd rather they be competitive on both fronts. Wireless charging is cool, but thats not the only factor.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'm the 11 kilowatts (somewhat more than that, actually) of RF noise being broadcast from your garage.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

I'm the 11 kilowatts (somewhat more than that, actually) of RF noise being broadcast from your garage.

The RF noise is COMING FROM INSIDE THE HOUSE

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ola posted:

The RF noise is COMING FROM INSIDE THE HOUSE

Was gonna say, break out your cast iron grill pans and have a cookout in your garage when you're not charging the car!

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

Now you have me thinking about RIP my ham radio equipment and I wonder how this kind of stuff wouldn't run afoul of FCC regulations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

HFX posted:

Now you have me thinking about RIP my ham radio equipment and I wonder how this kind of stuff wouldn't run afoul of FCC regulations.

Frequency range?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Linedance posted:

Was gonna say, break out your cast iron grill pans and have a cookout in your garage when you're not charging the car!

The most powerful induction cooktop I've used was a 3.5kW model in a restaurant-style kitchen, and that thing was *fast*, zero to charcoal in seconds. I can't even imagine using a 11kW induction plate on full tilt.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

The most powerful induction cooktop I've used was a 3.5kW model in a restaurant-style kitchen, and that thing was *fast*, zero to charcoal in seconds. I can't even imagine using a 11kW induction plate on full tilt.

It would be alright if you don't mind your sauce pan being your pan sauce too...
Mmm, carbonized protein with a molten slag reduction. A meal fit for robots.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

If there is a risk of melting an errant wrench or the inductive charging is simply wasteful, I'd be happy to go without it. A hob (I've seen 17 kW ones, total power) will know if it's a saucepan or a spoon, it should be pretty easy to tell the difference between a car and a child with a toy car.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

Frequency range?

I've had a few phone inductive chargers cause interference on HF and VHF when being used. Luckily, that was mostly limited to my house / yard. It could have been the awful power supplies that most use.

Ola posted:

If there is a risk of melting an errant wrench or the inductive charging is simply wasteful, I'd be happy to go without it. A hob (I've seen 17 kW ones, total power) will know if it's a saucepan or a spoon, it should be pretty easy to tell the difference between a car and a child with a toy car.

Of course, there is the chance of child sticking his toy car under the car which could have some interesting results.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

HFX posted:

Of course, there is the chance of child sticking his toy car under the car which could have some interesting results.

Bigger chance that the stupid child puts his stupid little hand on the hob. like I did

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That "electric truck" company upped their bullshit factor again, instead of a gas turbine they will now have a hydrogen fuel cell, with 56 planned hydrogen filling stations with free hydrogen for the first million miles, and are now claiming 20mpg.

https://nikolamotor.com/pdfs/Nikola_Hydrogen_Final.pdf

By december it's going to poo poo rainbows, drive itself, and hover.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It's like they watched the iEagle Hamthrust bit from Top Gear and didn't realize it was a joke.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
What about the 110mpg Mustang?!?!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m not saying that induction charging is unworkable, but I’d bet on robotic arms instead.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Powershift posted:

That "electric truck" company upped their bullshit factor again, instead of a gas turbine they will now have a hydrogen fuel cell, with 56 planned hydrogen filling stations with free hydrogen for the first million miles, and are now claiming 20mpg.

https://nikolamotor.com/pdfs/Nikola_Hydrogen_Final.pdf

By december it's going to poo poo rainbows, drive itself, and hover.

I sorta defended them on vague plausibility previously, I'm out at this point.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Nikola Motor Company? They really chose that as a name? Im sorry but that reeks of trying to ride on Tesla's wake while both using parts from the man himself.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
How long realistically will it probably be before mainstream companies (MB, Audi, et al) release a luxury EV to compete with Tesla? Are we looking at like within a year or two or is it probably gonna be more like 3-5?

If this is a dumb question no one can answer then sorry, I don't really know how much is out there about like where they are at with this.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
More than one year, fewer than three would be my guess, but it won't be nearly as halfassed as the Model S was at launch if stuff like the i8 is any indicator.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Stefan Prodan posted:

How long realistically will it probably be before mainstream companies (MB, Audi, et al) release a luxury EV to compete with Tesla? Are we looking at like within a year or two or is it probably gonna be more like 3-5?

If this is a dumb question no one can answer then sorry, I don't really know how much is out there about like where they are at with this.

3-5 more likely.

Audi says they are releasing the A9 in 2020 https://electrek.co/2016/08/30/audi-launch-electric-audi-a9-e-tron-in-2020/

BMW i5 rumors have varied between 2018 and 2021.

VW are announcing a 300 mile car at the Paris Motor Show (Oct 1 - 16), plus their roadmap, which should be exciting. Their "Strategy 2025" is 30 new electric models across the VAG group in the next 10 years. That'll include the above A9, probably a Porsche, maybe some high end VW as well?

Mercedes are announcing a new sub brand, called MEQ or something like it. I assume they will share more at the Paris Motor Show, but haven't seen any confirmation on that.

October is going to be exciting!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Looks like musk is trying to bump Tesla's money troubles out of the headlines by blowing up a chunk of Florida.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/234896-no-free-lunch-tesla-model-3-owners-will-pay-for-supercharger-access

It's been confirmed that Model 3 owners will have to pay for Supercharger access, though no work on how much or how it would work. Although:

quote:

At Tesla’s annual meeting May 31, CEO Elon Musk said, “Free Supercharging fundamentally has a cost. The obvious thing to do is decouple that from the cost of the Model 3. So it will still be very cheap, and far cheaper than gasoline, to drive long-distance with the Model 3, but it will not be free long distance for life unless you purchase that package.”

...which implies that they're at least considering offering the option of paying up front for lifetime access.

Ola posted:

VW are announcing a 300 mile car at the Paris Motor Show (Oct 1 - 16), plus their roadmap, which should be exciting. Their "Strategy 2025" is 30 new electric models across the VAG group in the next 10 years. That'll include the above A9, probably a Porsche, maybe some high end VW as well?

Plus they've toyed with the idea of building their own ginormous battery factory, which would be a must-have for competing with the Model 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Weirdly, VW has done a 180 on the battery factory.

http://www.electronics-eetimes.com/news/volkswagen-ceo-denies-plans-ev-battery-plant-0

quote:

First they said yes, now they say no: In the question of an own production line for EV batteries, Volkswagen makes a complete about-face. A possible reason could be found in a related announcement from Samsung SDI.

As recently as past May, reports circulated that Volkswagen might plan to build its own battery production in Germany to be prepared for the wave of electric cars to be expected for the next decade and to become more independent from suppliers in the Far East. According to these reports, Volkswagen was considering the city of Salzgitter as the location for its battery production.

Now Volkswagen CEO Matthias Müller qualified these reports as “complete nonsense”. In an interview with business paper Handelsblatt, Müller said “we certainly won’t do such a nonsense”, referring to the reporter’s question if the company had any plans to fabricate their own traction batteries. Since battery production is a highly automated process, Müller ruled out that such a battery would create a significant amount of jobs. In addition, establishing such a production line would be “extremely expensive.” Nevertheless, Müller left open a small backdoor for another reversal: The company is carefully investigating the entire battery production process chain, from the extraction of the raw materials to cell production, battery assembly and the integration of the complete batteries into the car. “Then we will see how far we will commit to this topic and invest”, Müller said, adding that the company will announce its battery strategy before the end of the year.

It is certainly a coincidence, but the same day Müller’s interview was published, Korean battery manufacturer Samsung SDI reportedly announced plans to establish such a production line in Hungary. According to news agency Reuters, Samsung SDI plans to invest about $358 million (€ 322 million) to build a battery plant near Budapest. Production start is scheduled for the second half of 2018; the capacity will be high enough to supply traction batteries for 50.000 electric vehicles per year.

Currently, Samsung SDI already supplies the batteries for BMW’s i3, made in South Korea. The production in Europe would help Samsung SDI to save logistics and cope with the demand from European customers. The report also hints to insider information that Samsung SDI competitor LG Chem plans to build a similar plant in Poland.

:shrug: Guess we'll just have to see if they share any more details in Paris.

• Locked thread